Zante

davemclaren

davemclaren

Anyone been there?

Thinking of going in the Summer with wife and 14 year old daughter. Good, bad, indifferent... ;)

Went there on a 2 week bender in the summer of 2006. Spent a grand on bevvy. Happy days.

It's a lively place but nice also.

Full of louts IMO:laugh:

If you stay away from Laganas I guess it could be good. Laganas is full of arses though.

Hughesie is your man to ask, he was in a quieter area last year IIRC.

rudi must stay
Anyone been there?

Thinking of going in the Summer with wife and 14 year old daughter. Good, bad, indifferent... ;)

yup went there a few summers ago. Couldn't really cope with the weather tbh, great place though and there's tons to do. :)

There is a lot of people going this summer from my area. Big groups of young folk to Laganas in particular.

davemclaren
There is a lot of people going this summer from my area. Big groups of young folk to Laganas in particular.

Sounds great....( says Dave, thinking very carefully )

I am also going. I've been before to Tsilivi but that was a loooong time ago and not sure what the area is like now. Hughesie's the man to ask.

Dave, I'm 20, and I was sick of the people in Laganas. Its also extortionate.

If you want a nice family holiday avoid it, not necessarily Zante, just Laganas.

davemclaren
Dave, I'm 20, and I was sick of the people in Laganas. Its also extortionate.

If you want a nice family holiday avoid it, not necessarily Zante, just Laganas.

It's Tsilivi I'm looking at.

Dirk Diggler
It's Tsilivi I'm looking at.

Do not go to Laganas dave. Dead bodies everywhere.

Can't comment on Tsilivi, I would highly recommend Argassi though.

Absolutely fantastic, Ideal for families.

In fact, I'm already booked up for this Summer but will be looking into going back there next year.

'When there's something wrong, in the Kickbackhood, hughesieyer gonna call?''

ghostbusters.jpg

I was in Tsilivi last year Dave. It's literally one longgggggg street FULL of bars restuarantes and tour shops. I had a great time but I was with my then girlfriend so I had some company. It's great for decent grub and 'cheapish' alcohol. We ended up in an AMAZING pizza place called Romeo and Juilette(sp?) they freshly made all of ther pizzas and I can honestly say they are the best tasting I have ever had. They also have a local wine that they sell which gorgeous. The beach was alright, not dirty or anything. Pretty close to the sea in terms of the width of the beach. We went to the water park twice and it was pretty good. Just your average waterpark really.

As I said though I was with my mate and I would advise your daughter to get a friend along if she is anything like me at 14 with nobody to do anything with. I would probably avoid Laganas becasue I know of about 60 folk from Forries going alone. Also Jambogaza's group and the rest of his Craigie cronies are going as well. Some Auggies too. So thats probably 150 17-18 from 3 schools in Edinburgh. I think I've scared you enough.

All the bars are friendly in Tsilivi though, as it is a street you will walk past the same places everyday and probably get friendly with the local bar. Off the top of my head we had a greek boy who had Wimbledon on everyday and the golf too. His bar/cafe was the most attractive in the place and he was a gent. Smuggler's Cove is also a fantastic place to go. The sea amazed me. Crystal clear and the beach is actually shingle. I would avoid Zante town (which means you and especially your wife will love it) but the wee one is going to be bored. Full of shops mazes of the things but not one decent shop for clothes. It's got all the local and tourist shops as well but I wasn't really interested in them.

One of my better holidays here are a couple of pictures.

601122658a6286104105o.jpg

601122658a6286118774o.jpg

I would book it now but only if you let her bring a mate. I'm not hinting;).

Anything else just ask.

christhejambo

I went 18-30 in 2004 with 5 mates. Absolutely brilliant for a lads holiday, but as others have said, Laganas prob aint ideal for families. There are some lovely areas around the island though, and when i went the year after, we did a bit more around the island. Watersports in Kalamaki (?) were excellent, with a nice beach, there is a stunning cove with a shipwreck that most of the boat tours visit. I would also recommend hiring a motor boat for a few hours- we found a secluded beach for the afternoon, which was great.

Don't know if theyve built the extension yet, but the airport is a total dump, and a nightmare if you have to wait for transfers.

davemclaren

Cheers Hughsie, sounds good. She normally manages to find some friends ( girls! ) around the pool so I'm hoping being on her own won't be an issue. :)

We stayed at The Admiral hotel. It was brilliant. Great staff and good pools. They do entertainment and one night a week they have a greek night for 10 euros where you get a glass of wine and a buffet of local foods. Including baked tatties for some reason. Also get some dancers and stuff and it's a good night.

The hotel itself was located near the beach end of this road at the very start so it would take a good 45 mins to walk to the end. Think our 2 weeks cost us ?334 for the flight and hotel.

Guest GhostHunter

Urgh - went to Zakynthos with the former (original) Mrs D, and hated every minute of it.

The "Blue Lagoon" is the best bit though.....

I will be working in Laganas this year fly over in april. Can get a bit rowdy at night but through the day its fine! The rest of the island is amazing an lots to do for families.

Beautiful place with some gorgeous scenery. Just a matter of finding it. I would get a hire car if you can and travel into the hills - remember to take plenty of sun cream and water though!!

I was there with my family in 2003 and it was a heatwave across Europe. Played football at 8.30am most days because it was the only time you could!

If you have a few quid on you, I would definitely recommend going over to the other island of Kefalonia (sp?) it is much more green and colourful than Zante and worth a trip IMO.

You will enjoy yourself though and the nightlife is superb for families too. Look out for the wee train in the capital that takes you through the town.

Went last year and stayed here

VILLAS

Its up the north end of the island and pretty quiet but only a short drive to the nearest resort, villa was amazing its a new development of about 8 villas on the side of a hill with a takeaway/restaurant 300m away take a look at the photos on there site.

Also did a bit of email negotiating and got the price down by 20 % ;)

Archived