tactics for ibrox

vintage1874

Tactics for Ibrox:

Turn up, play like shite, get tanked 3-0, come home, laugh at hibs.

You forgot - Laugh at Rangers impending HMRC bomb to explode.

:rolleyes:

Csabas tactics always worked well against the old firm why don't we just play them.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

10 men behind the ball and try to nick something on the counter attack or from a set piece.

Rangers played with a lot of width last Saturday and over ran us for a good hour going from 4-5-1 to 4-3-3. That midfield would be too narrow and too defensive and for me we should take the game to them from the off.

We have nothing to lose by having a go, third is virtually sown up and we can't afford to get off to the same start as we did on Wednesday. Their defence isn't that strong and Weir and Papac are slow as death. I'd go with;

Kello

CT Zal Bouzid Wallace

Ruben

Suso or Temps/Black/Driver

Skacel

Elliott

what you say makes total sense, hopefully the game against motherwell will take a lot out of the likes of Weir. I'm not usually a big fan of a defensive set up but our wingers at times are not the best at tracking back and this could cause us problems. driver and suso on the bench so if need be we could always shuffle things around a bit.

Against the OF this season I have felt our weakness has been them running between our central defenders while we try to play them offside.

The exception was the 1st Rangers game when we played 3 central defenders and by and large played very well.

I'd have a think about trying something similar:

Kello

Bouzid Mroviec Zaliukas

Thomson Johnsson Wallace

Black Skacel

Kyle Elliott

Try and get some possession and keep it solid at the back. Can always bring on Suso, Temps, Driver 2nd half if we are still in the game. As Celtic showed last week, we are very susceptible to being caught out for pace through the middle and we therefore need to take the space away from them.

The most important tactic imo for this game will be JJ getting the players (and himself) to believe that they can win in Glasgow. I want him to tell the press that we are still in this race, that we can and will go to Glasgow and win. I don't want to read/hear him go on about 3rd being our target, it is only the press who talked of us as title challengers etc etc. Be positive, we are up there challenging and let the players believe they have a chance of victory.

Sir Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean had their players believing they could win in Glasgow, why are we any different.

Talk the team up JJ.

I don't know about JJ shouting it from the rooftops that we are in the race, but you are spot on that a belief and the right attitude are important if we are to start picking points up in glasgow fergie and old sour coupon were masters at this.

Against the OF this season I have felt our weakness has been them running between our central defenders while we try to play them offside.

The exception was the 1st Rangers game when we played 3 central defenders and by and large played very well.

Kello

Bouzid Mroviec Zaliukas

Thomson Johnsson Wallace

Black Skacel

Kyle Elliott

Try and get some possession and keep it solid at the back. Can always bring on Suso, Temps, Driver 2nd half if we are still in the game. As Celtic showed last week, we are very susceptible to being caught out for pace through the middle and we therefore need to take the space away from them.

I'm not one for over-complicating things and usually would always go with the settled formation and team. However given our recent performances against the OF I agree that Mrowiec playing as a sweeper would be a tactic worth trying. I would go for...

------------Kello------------

---Bouzid--Mrowiec--Zal------

C.Thomson-------------Wallace

-------Black----Ruben--------

---Suso---------------Rudi---

------------Obua-------------

That team is also flexible in that it could convert to a 4-3-3 formation if things weren't working early on. Also a bench of Eggert, Stevenson, Temps, Driver, Elliott and Glen would allow us plenty of options for change.

Kello

Bouzid Mroviec Zaliukas

Thomson Johnsson Wallace

Black Skacel

Kyle Elliott

Thats right especially both games at parkhead. I thought we did well in that first game against Rangers at tynie craig thomson & ruben (think wallace was injured) defending and attacking when required. That team looks good, both CT and Lee have made good return to the team and like you mention if need be plenty of options on the bench. Is there any news when we can expect Kyle back?

Kello

Jonsson Bouzid Zaliukas Wallace

Thomson Black Mrowiec Palazuelos

Skacel

Elliott

Very defensive, but at the same time hopefully very solid with a bit of attacking threat from wide and through the middle.

Csabas tactics always worked well against the old firm why don't we just play them.

We might do. I'm sure JJ does not want another embarrassing scoreline.

------Kello

---Bouzid---Zal--Mrowiec

C Thompson--------Wallace

-------Black--Ruben

---Skacel--------Suso

--------Elliott

We all look at football differently OaG. I wonder how many would have felt, going back a week, if we had been gung ho against Rangers at Tynecastle, and as a result ended up losing say 1-0 rather than winning 1-0. Would the emphassi have been on the manner in which we played or the end result, because it is the end result that determines how many points you get, no matter how you get them.

We all know we didn't play well against Rangers, but what we did do worked. We gave them a lot of possession and they failed to use it to their advantage, and that is when we tend to have most success against the OF, by frustrating them, letting them run out of ideas. What we need is for those that performed well against Rangers last week to reach those levels again, and for those who were a little below par to step up to the mark. We don't have to change our tactics or style in any dramatic manner, we just have to compete with them in all departments.

This is what we failed to do at Parkhead on Wednesday, the whole team, from positions 1 to 11 (plus subs) were awful. Celtic didn't have to play to win that match, we presented it to them on a plate, gift wrapped.

I suspect if we allow the game against Rangers to get too open, given our lack of power up front without Kyle to help, we could play into their hands. I'd be much happier if we played a spoiling game again on Wednesday and, as per Stevenson last week, converted any limited chances that come our way. More beneficial to come home having played stubbornly and won 1-0, than come home having played openly and lost 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, whatever. You don't get points for looking good, you get points based on the end result.

I'm sure you'll agree we were hugely lucky to get that win against Rangers, in fact if it hadnt been for Kello and the crossbar it would have been a similar score to what we got at Celtic Park a few days later.

In that sense I'm not sure that what we did against Rangers DID work. I think we got the result despite what we did, not because of it and if we do it again we'll more than likely get a hiding.

I think in any game you've got to play to your strengths as the starting point and secondary is looking after what the oppositions strengths are. Our strengths are going forward in wide areas at number 1 and solidity at the back as number 2. Their strengths are creativity from midfield followed by the simple psychological fact that they are Rangers at Ibrox. To me this means you push up on to their midfield and when we win the ball we get it out wide. The psychology factor has to be dealt with before we even step out onto the park. If it isnt we'll be beaten sooner or later.

Its not about making the game open because we wouldnt win an open game. Its about what you do to keep the game tight. To me that doesnt mean you let them have the ball and defend on the edge of your box. Thats what we did against them the first time. It didnt work but we won anyway. Thats what we did at Celtic Park and it didnt work again, however we got what we deserved that time.

Pressure on the ball in midfield is the key to taking anything on Wednesday IMO. If we do that successfuly, they aint got a whole lot else that can hurt us. The longer we do it successfully , the more chance we've got of hurting them from wide.( and that doesnt mean crosses to no-one. It means beating the last man, getting to the bye-line and hoping we've got more men up with play than they have when we've broken through).

------Kello

---Bouzid---Zal--Mrowiec

C Thompson--------Wallace

-------Black--Ruben

---Skacel--------Suso

--------Elliott

Is Kyle defo out? If so then this.. If not then no Elliott for me. Rangers toil at the centre of defence. It wont be pretty but lets get it up there and try and feed off scraps. Keep it tight at the back. We have a good chance in this game.

fabienleclerq

Your opinion counts for nothing Toddy. I wonder how you'll find the blue order after being so impressed with the green brigade. :down:

Didnt know they let wegi's on here?!

Ill be disgusted with their sectarian songs

about my brethren!!

Tactics will depend upon personnel -- Is Kyle fit ?

If he is then

Kello

Thomson Bouzid Zal Wallace

Jonsson Mrowiec Black/Skacel Ruben Temps

Kyle

Suso, Driver, Elliott S, Skacel/Black, Stevenson, Obua, Barr, Glen, Goalkeeper etc -- select from as subs

Stop Rangers wide and compete in the midfield with some height for set pieces -- the longer the game goes on the more space may open up and perhaps then we can bring on someone like Driver for last 20 mins.

If Kyle is not fit then we really need to ask is it worth playing a midfield player like Obua or Stevenson just for height purposes rather than a genuine forward like Elliott/Glen.

After watching them today, i would play with a high tempo and in their faces.

Thought they looked tired, jadded and lacking in idea's - particularly as the game wore on.

Maybe there's a chance after all .

:unsure:

Didn't see the first half though?

Play at 100 miles an hour and hunt them in packs - defend like never before and break at pace and in numbers.

This. We need to come out and give them nothing. Get tore into them fairly from the first whistle and grab hold of the game.

Celtic did it against us, if we can do it against Rangers the crowd will first shut up, then start getting on the back of Rangers.

Kello

CT Zal Bouzid Wallace

Black Moroviec Ruben

Temps Skacel

Eliott

Didnt know they let wegi's on here?!

Ill be disgusted with their sectarian songs

about my brethren!!

You've lost me. :unsure:

rudi must stay

should we stick to the 4-3-3? or go for a more defensive set up say a 4-2-3-1? with 2 from adrian,ruben or eggy in front of the back 4 I'd leave our wingers out (this goes against everything I usually want in a hearts team but we'd still have thomo and wallace). I just feel a draw would be a great point and an attack minded formation might leave us a bit exposed at the back

kello

craig thomson zali bouzid wallace

eggy adrian

black rudi ruben

elliott

why not go for it? 3rd's just about ours, and we have enough on the wings to cause them problems IMO.

Is Kyle defo out? If so then this.. If not then no Elliott for me. Rangers toil at the centre of defence. It wont be pretty but lets get it up there and try and feed off scraps. Keep it tight at the back. We have a good chance in this game.

Heard we won't see him until march.

Heard we won't see him until march.

From the horses mouth yesterday (we bumped into him with his good lady and kid going into the ground yesterday), he thinks he'll be back in time for the Hamilton game.

From the horses mouth yesterday (we bumped into him with his good lady and kid going into the ground yesterday), he thinks he'll be back in time for the Hamilton game.

Good to here. :thumbsup:

Archived