tactics for ibrox

vintage1874

should we stick to the 4-3-3? or go for a more defensive set up say a 4-2-3-1? with 2 from adrian,ruben or eggy in front of the back 4 I'd leave our wingers out (this goes against everything I usually want in a hearts team but we'd still have thomo and wallace). I just feel a draw would be a great point and an attack minded formation might leave us a bit exposed at the back

kello

craig thomson zali bouzid wallace

eggy adrian

black rudi ruben

elliott

fabienleclerq

should we stick to the 4-3-3? or go for a more defensive set up say a 4-2-3-1? with 2 from adrian,ruben or eggy in front of the back 4 I'd leave our wingers out (this goes against everything I usually want in a hearts team but we'd still have thomo and wallace). I just feel a draw would be a great point and an attack minded formation might leave us a bit exposed at the back

kello

eggy adrian

black rudi ruben

elliott

Good shout with eggert back in the middle, feel he gets it

tight on here despitr being a good alrounder.

dont think he's terrible at RB either. Havin said that

CT is our best RB

Id have the same team that started today. Bring Driver and Temps on around the 60 minute mark if we are still in with a chance then really go for it.

We have nothing to lose and nothing to fear at Ibrox. All to play for and if we win we go above them.

CT is our best RB

It was good to have CT back today, i like you I prefer eggy in midfield

fabienleclerq

It was good to have CT back today, i like you I prefer eggy in midfield

Yeah CT delivery and attacking threat gives us a more

balanced attack rather than our sometimes lop sided (yet still effective) play

Geoff Kilpatrick

Assuming KK isn't fit, I'd go 4-5-1

Kello - Thomson, Bouzid, Zaliukas, Wallace - Suso, Stevenson, Black, Palazuelos, Skacel - Elliott

I think we will have to keep the score down, which means a very negative, defensive strategy like we did with Csaba.

There is no place for luxury players in the team on Wednesday, we need players who will work hard and press the opposition when we don't have possession. If we go with a 4-3-3, we will be over-run in midfield and ripped for arse paper.

What we need mostly is someone to hold the ball up. We were badly lacking in that in the second half today.

kello

eggy adrian

black rudi ruben

elliott

Rangers played with a lot of width last Saturday and over ran us for a good hour going from 4-5-1 to 4-3-3. That midfield would be too narrow and too defensive and for me we should take the game to them from the off.

We have nothing to lose by having a go, third is virtually sown up and we can't afford to get off to the same start as we did on Wednesday. Their defence isn't that strong and Weir and Papac are slow as death. I'd go with;

Kello

CT Zal Bouzid Wallace

Ruben

Suso or Temps/Black/Driver

Skacel

Elliott

I just hope JJ has learned from the recent matches against each of the Weejie filth. The 4-2-3-1 formation hasn't worked against either of them. Tin hat time, but I'd go along the lines of

Kello

C Thomson Bouzid Zaliukas Wallace

Suso Mroweic Black Obua

Skacel

Elliott

I think we will have to keep the score down, which means a very negative, defensive strategy like we did with Csaba.

There is no place for luxury players in the team on Wednesday, we need players who will work hard and press the opposition when we don't have possession. If we go with a 4-3-3, we will be over-run in midfield and ripped for arse paper.

What we need mostly is someone to hold the ball up. We were badly lacking in that in the second half today.

If i can fault JJ for anything i sometimes think we are a bit slow in changing the formation and adapting our style to certain games or teams . We all much prefer the style we play under JJ , but csaba did get decent results in glasgow using as you say a negative defensive brand of football.

That midfielder will no doubt be on JJ's summer shopping list, canny see much happening this window.

Anything other than the tactics we used at parkhead!!!

Saying that though rangers arnt as good as Celtic imo. If we can keep jelavic out the game. The pace of our fullbacks will make it difficult for rangers wingers. And if at some stage get driver on because with his pace and the size of the pitch at ibrox he should be able to find some gaps and exploit the gers defence.

Il settle for a draw but we may be able to sneak a win? Fingers crossed!

Believe!!! Cmon the hearts!

:thumbsup:

alwaysthereinspirit

Need to go at them from the start. If we start like we did last week against both OF we'll get slaughtered. JMO.

Ive seen JJ teams play the OF AWAY for many many years. I think you could count the successes on one hand.

To be fair he's tried everything he knows to improve his record but its shocking, quite shocking.

So given that a JJ team away to the OF is quite often beaten before its started we have nothing to lose here. 4 or 5 nil wouldnt even be a surprise to most people.

Its about time we walked on to a Glasgow pitch and got right in their faces right from the start. Take the game to them and let them know they are actually going to have to win a right battle to beat us. If we walk off well beaten then fine. If we walk off narrowly beaten then fine.If we walk off with a draw we either did or didnt deserve then fine. If we walk off winning then of course, also fine.

BUT JIM. LETS, FOR ONCE. WALK OFF A GLASGOW PITCH PROUDLY KNOWING THAT WE GAVE IT OUR ABSOLUTE BEST SHOT FROM START TO FINISH, THAT WE DIDNT FEAR THEM OR GET AWESTRUCK BY THEM OR GIVE THEM RESPECT THAT THEY DIDNT DESERVE !!

(It worked at Celtic Park in 1998)

I think we will have to keep the score down

I'd rather see us get humped out the park than give them, or anyone else for that matter, the satisfaction of playing a Heart of Midlothian team out merely to "keep the score down"

Start with a slow and compose game. Let them come onto us and break on the counter. Simply going an firing on all cylinders will get us a humping. Like it or not we don't have as much quality and our tactics should be adopted to play on the counter.

Start with a slow and compose game. Let them come onto us and break on the counter.

Wasnt a hugely successful ploy at Celtic Park last week.

I think if you sit back and let Rangers come on to you at Ibrox, the game has only one possible outcome

Wasnt a hugely successful ploy at Celtic Park last week.

I think if you sit back and let Rangers come on to you at Ibrox, the game has only one possible outcome

What I seen at Celtic Park was gaping holes in our defence. JJ should take the blame for our 4-0 demolition from Celtic IMO. Our previous manager could would have made us a lot harder to beat in these sorts of games. We were quite simply a shambles.

Replace Elliott for Glen and perhaps Suso out for Driver/Temps, other than that same as today for me.

What! You'd keep Crazy Legs Obdooa in the starting XI? For his nuisance value, I assume?

Rangers defence is slow, but will handle the high balls for 90 min. Hearts need to keep the ball on the ground and exploit the Rangers defensive weakness with balls behind Weir and Bougera for strikers Elliott & Glen to run on to, but I suspect JJ will go with a 4-4-1-1 formation with Elliott as the lone striker.

I'm all for having a go at them but, if you don't conceed early their fans become an extra man for you. If you do you are chasing the game and on for a hammering. So, defend from the front, stifle them and go on the ground at Weir and Bougherra. Mainly, don't conceed. As Motty once said, "If you don't lose a goal you don't lose a game". Simples. If we were to beat them we go 2nd. Nice. MON THE HEARTS.

Kello

Templeton Palazuelos Black Driver

Skacel

Elliott

For me this would do nicely. I think temps will have a point to prove against whittaker, put him in jim! :thumbsup:

Need to chase them down, get up in their faces. We have 3rd, if we seriously want 1st or 2nd we have to start beating them away from home.

I'd go fo

Kello, CT, zal, bouz, wallace, black, ruben, Rudi, driver, temps and Elliott

We lost the midfield last Wednesday from the off especially Borown running the show, without ever possessing any good passing ability.

I'd be hugely concerned if Rangers put Davis in centre midfield as he has the same energy levels as Brown put can do so much more with the ball. But they have to keep McCulloch in the middle in case Brougherra goes walkabout.

We could go gung ho and play any 3 combination of Suso, Skacel, Driver and Temps - but at what cost in the middle of the park?

Flood the midfield, play one up front (but not Stevo - not up to it - not Obua as he hasn't the heart or concentration levels to go ages without the ball) and then try and pick Rangers off near the end.

At Tynie last week, despite bossing the first hour or so - it was Rangers that visibly tired when really it should have been us as we'd chased shadows for so long.

Win it scrappy and win it ugly - late on.

Firstly, i hope the players have taken last weeks humping on board. They need to show a bit bottle, want the ball, make tackles and be men.

I think we should set-up in a way we`ll still be dangerous but of course not leave the space for Rangers we gave Celtic. Easier said than donw though, its all about the desire from the players on and off the ball.

Although it was only StJohnstone yesterday the clsoing down and defensive unit was much more together and our passing was more focused and better.

That came from the players being more committed.

We lost the midfield last Wednesday from the off especially Borown running the show, without ever possessing any good passing ability.

I'd be hugely concerned if Rangers put Davis in centre midfield as he has the same energy levels as Brown put can do so much more with the ball. But they have to keep McCulloch in the middle in case Brougherra goes walkabout.

We could go gung ho and play any 3 combination of Suso, Skacel, Driver and Temps - but at what cost in the middle of the park?

Flood the midfield, play one up front (but not Stevo - not up to it - not Obua as he hasn't the heart or concentration levels to go ages without the ball) and then try and pick Rangers off near the end.

At Tynie last week, despite bossing the first hour or so - it was Rangers that visibly tired when really it should have been us as we'd chased shadows for so long.

Win it scrappy and win it ugly - late on.

Detty, theres a couple of tacticians on this thread who`ll never be happy no matter what. If JJ decides to sit in and we still get beaten they`ll whinge to why we never had a go. He`s on a hiding to nothing.

For years we all moaned when Hearts went through there and used to be very subdued and concede many pitiful defeats, we all wanted Hearts to be more positive and have a go.

This brings me to the point i`ve been making on another thread...it comes down to the players having the balls. Simple. You can set-up 4-5-1 or go positive with 4-3-3....you`ll still get humped playing either if the players hide and don`t take responsibility. The tactics will work if our manager suits them to a tee and the players are on top of their game. However, if you have the latter you`ve always got a chance.

tactic? Pray.

Just hoping Motherwell can take them to extra-time in the cup game today and then hopefully a wee bit fatigue will help our cause.

CT is our best RB

Your opinion counts for nothing Toddy. I wonder how you'll find the blue order after being so impressed with the green brigade. :down:

The Old Tolbooth

As long as we flood the middle of the park and stop them playing then we can take something from the game, but if Jefferies does the same as last week (surely not) then we're as well not turning up because it was suicidal.

Our record at hunbrox is appalling, I'm not expecting that to change.

portobellojambo1

I'd rather see us get humped out the park than give them, or anyone else for that matter, the satisfaction of playing a Heart of Midlothian team out merely to "keep the score down"

We all look at football differently OaG. I wonder how many would have felt, going back a week, if we had been gung ho against Rangers at Tynecastle, and as a result ended up losing say 1-0 rather than winning 1-0. Would the emphassi have been on the manner in which we played or the end result, because it is the end result that determines how many points you get, no matter how you get them.

We all know we didn't play well against Rangers, but what we did do worked. We gave them a lot of possession and they failed to use it to their advantage, and that is when we tend to have most success against the OF, by frustrating them, letting them run out of ideas. What we need is for those that performed well against Rangers last week to reach those levels again, and for those who were a little below par to step up to the mark. We don't have to change our tactics or style in any dramatic manner, we just have to compete with them in all departments.

This is what we failed to do at Parkhead on Wednesday, the whole team, from positions 1 to 11 (plus subs) were awful. Celtic didn't have to play to win that match, we presented it to them on a plate, gift wrapped.

I suspect if we allow the game against Rangers to get too open, given our lack of power up front without Kyle to help, we could play into their hands. I'd be much happier if we played a spoiling game again on Wednesday and, as per Stevenson last week, converted any limited chances that come our way. More beneficial to come home having played stubbornly and won 1-0, than come home having played openly and lost 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, whatever. You don't get points for looking good, you get points based on the end result.

Detty, theres a couple of tacticians on this thread who`ll never be happy no matter what. If JJ decides to sit in and we still get beaten they`ll whinge to why we never had a go. He`s on a hiding to nothing.

For years we all moaned when Hearts went through there and used to be very subdued and concede many pitiful defeats, we all wanted Hearts to be more positive and have a go.

This brings me to the point i`ve been making on another thread...it comes down to the players having the balls. Simple. You can set-up 4-5-1 or go positive with 4-3-3....you`ll still get humped playing either if the players hide and don`t take responsibility. The tactics will work if our manager suits them to a tee and the players are on top of their game. However, if you have the latter you`ve always got a chance.

Quite a lot of keech is talked about formations Debs but,as you rightly point out, they ALL fail if the guys don't win their individual battles

The most important tactic imo for this game will be JJ getting the players (and himself) to believe that they can win in Glasgow. I want him to tell the press that we are still in this race, that we can and will go to Glasgow and win. I don't want to read/hear him go on about 3rd being our target, it is only the press who talked of us as title challengers etc etc. Be positive, we are up there challenging and let the players believe they have a chance of victory.

Sir Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean had their players believing they could win in Glasgow, why are we any different.

Talk the team up JJ.

Assuming Kyle is not playing...

..................KELLO...................

C.T.......BOUZID.........ZAL.......WALLACE

.................MROWIEC..................

..........SKACEL........RUBEN.............

TEMPS............ELLIOTT............DRIVER

The most important tactic imo for this game will be JJ getting the players (and himself) to believe that they can win in Glasgow. I want him to tell the press that we are still in this race, that we can and will go to Glasgow and win. I don't want to read/hear him go on about 3rd being our target, it is only the press who talked of us as title challengers etc etc. Be positive, we are up there challenging and let the players believe they have a chance of victory.

Sir Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean had their players believing they could win in Glasgow, why are we any different.

Talk the team up JJ.

He went to Parkhead talking about how it would be a brave man to bet against Hearts. I've never heard the likes. Playing in Glasgow is as hard as it gets. The team went in thinking they'd stroll it.

He'll not go to Ibrox like this after that humping that is for sure.

I just hope JJ has learned from the recent matches against each of the Weejie filth. The 4-2-3-1 formation hasn't worked against either of them. Tin hat time, but I'd go along the lines of

Kello

Suso Mroweic Black Obua

Skacel

Elliott

I kinda agree, but would put Palazuelos in the team ahead of Obua, and move Skacel out wide left. Have the solid three with two wide men running to support Elliott. Driver getting on after 45/60 minutes.

I kinda agree, but would put Palazuelos in the team ahead of Obua, and move Skacel out wide left. Have the solid three with two wide men running to support Elliott. Driver getting on after 45/60 minutes.

Can see your side too.

Personally, rather than have wingers bombing forward in support, I'd play a tighter more compact midfield 4. Running wingers on either side could still leave us short in midfield and vulnerable - I expect Rankgers to play 4 in there. Skacel has the ability/confidence on the ball to make telling passes, be that to a striker ahead of him or retaining possession to a midfield in behind him.

I thought Obua linked up well with Wallace yesterday so would leave him in. Harsh on Rubens who did well yesterday, but I just think we need Mroweics steel in there on Wednesday.

We should target Weir as the weak link and try to expose him at every opportunity. Players with pace will skip by him after through balls as he looks like he's towing a caravan now.

I fancy a famous Hearts win on Wednesday, Rangers are pish.

Rangers 0-3 Hearts.

We all look at football differently OaG. I wonder how many would have felt, going back a week, if we had been gung ho against Rangers at Tynecastle, and as a result ended up losing say 1-0 rather than winning 1-0. Would the emphassi have been on the manner in which we played or the end result, because it is the end result that determines how many points you get, no matter how you get them.

We all know we didn't play well against Rangers, but what we did do worked. We gave them a lot of possession and they failed to use it to their advantage, and that is when we tend to have most success against the OF, by frustrating them, letting them run out of ideas. What we need is for those that performed well against Rangers last week to reach those levels again, and for those who were a little below par to step up to the mark. We don't have to change our tactics or style in any dramatic manner, we just have to compete with them in all departments.

This is what we failed to do at Parkhead on Wednesday, the whole team, from positions 1 to 11 (plus subs) were awful. Celtic didn't have to play to win that match, we presented it to them on a plate, gift wrapped.

I suspect if we allow the game against Rangers to get too open, given our lack of power up front without Kyle to help, we could play into their hands. I'd be much happier if we played a spoiling game again on Wednesday and, as per Stevenson last week, converted any limited chances that come our way. More beneficial to come home having played stubbornly and won 1-0, than come home having played openly and lost 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, whatever. You don't get points for looking good, you get points based on the end result.

Quite a lot of keech is talked about formations Debs but,as you rightly point out, they ALL fail if the guys don't win their individual battles

I think we did try to be quite gung ho against Rangers - and that's why they had so many chances on the break in the first half. I know a win's a win and all that, but if we're honest, we didn't beat Rangers because of our tactics. We beat them because they didn't take any of their chances (which was partly down to great goalkeeping by Kello) and we took our one and only real chance of the game.

As for Parkhead on Wednesday, there's no argument that Celtic played well and that there were too many individual errors from our players - but the tactics were the biggest factor in that defeat IMO. We played 4-4-2, were overrun in midfield and that was obvious after 5 minutes. I still don't understand why JJ didn't change the formation.

Virtually any time we've had a good result in Glasgow in recent years (and to be fair, Csaba had a decent record) we used a 4-5-1 formation. That makes us difficult to break down, offers protection to the back 4, but gives the wide men a licence to get forward on the counter attack.

Its GOT to be 4-5-1 at Ibrox on Wednesday IMO.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Kello

Thomson Bouzid Zaliukas Wallace

Black Palazuelos

Suso Skacel Templeton

Elliott

Subs: Balogh, Jonsson, Mrowiec, Driver, Stevenson, Obua, Glen.

Whittaker and Papac, assuming they both start at full back, like to get forward and having Suso and Templeton wide and running at them would help pin them back and stop their attacking threat. Elliott has the pace to run at Bougherra and especially Weir and if we keep the ball on the deck then the attacking 4 could easily cause Rangers problems.

Kello

Templeton Palazuelos Black Driver

Skacel

Elliott

For me this would do nicely. I think temps will have a point to prove against whittaker, put him in jim! :thumbsup:

I like the look of this team.

Jambof3tornado

Kello

Thomson Bouzid Zaliukas Wallace

Black Palazuelos

Suso Skacel Templeton

Elliott

Subs: Balogh, Jonsson, Mrowiec, Driver, Stevenson, Obua, Glen.

Whittaker and Papac, assuming they both start at full back, like to get forward and having Suso and Templeton wide and running at them would help pin them back and stop their attacking threat. Elliott has the pace to run at Bougherra and especially Weir and if we keep the ball on the deck then the attacking 4 could easily cause Rangers problems.

Suso and Temps can only run at Whittaker and Papac when we have the ball which is where the problem lies!!!

Any points gained on wednesday are bonus ones!

Archived