The Australian Open 2011

redm

Been in meetings since 8am and hadn't even thought to keep an eye on Nadal's game - assuming he'd scrape it, even with the effect of his virus. A real, real shame that Nadal's not in it to stand a change of a fourth consecutive major. I think Murray would have given him a very tight game, partly due to Nadal being under the weather, partly because Murray's playing so strongly and knows Nadal well enough to take him on.

Ferrer's no mug but Murray did hammer him at the O2 last month on a similar surface to the Melbourne courts. I'd be surprised if Murray doesn't make the final. Hopefully Djokovic and Federer can tear a few strips off each other in the world's longest ever semi-final and make life easier for me on Sunday should Murray have made it!

Whoever wins out of Federer & Djokovic will have the advantage of having 2 days off before the final should their semi go the distance.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I P Knightley

Whoever wins out of Federer & Djokovic will have the advantage of having 2 days off before the final should their semi go the distance.

I've been loooking for the schedule. I thought the semis were on the same day so that it's Murray/Ferrer who were disadvantaged by having their QFs a day nearer the SFs. But now you've mentioned it, I think you're spot on.

Crazy scheduling if it's the case. It would make more sense to have the SFs on the same day and equal recovery time before the final. In the Murray v Ferrer, SF, they're on equal footing regardless of when they play it. Come the final, one player has an advantage simply due to the half he was drawn in.

David Ferrer weighs only 5kg more than Kim Clijsters. FACT!

This thread is sanctuary. Must remove football from my mind entirely for the rest of the night at least...

richard-stacks-chimpanzee-with-its-fingers-in-its-ears.jpg

And The Merse - looks like they'll be on at about 1930 Melbourne time which is 0830 UK time...

This thread is sanctuary. Must remove football from my mind entirely for the rest of the night at least...

richard-stacks-chimpanzee-with-its-fingers-in-its-ears.jpg

And The Merse - looks like they'll be on at about 1930 Melbourne time which is 0830 UK time...

Might catch the first GAME before I have to get the bus to work at 8:40 then.

:lol:

I P Knightley

Might catch the first GAME before I have to get the bus to work at 8:40 then.

:lol:

You're looking a bit peaky, Merse.

You sure you're not coming down with that avian swine flu or something? I know that my colleagues wouldn't forgive me if I went into work with that and infected them. I'd do them a favour by taking the day off... ;)

You're looking a bit peaky, Merse.

You sure you're not coming down with that avian swine flu or something? I know that my colleagues wouldn't forgive me if I went into work with that and infected them. I'd do them a favour by taking the day off... ;)

I'll save the one day bug for Murrays match.

:thumbsup:

Federer v Djokovic on just now.

4-4 with serve, 1st Set.

Djokovic takes it on a tie break..

Good game, long points.... Both playing well...

I reckon Djokovic has a great chance, and at 9/1 is a great price.

:vrface:

So why didn't you have a wee punt on it?

Fed turning up the heat...

Fed breaks again: 4-2

Some great stuff.

Fed manages to hold his serve for 5-2.

Wow.. Djok broke and won his own serve now has 3 break points to go 6-5 up

2 break points....

1 break point

And he takes it...

Serving for the set

3 set points....

Takes it.

Some great tennis being played.

Djokovic 2-0 up.

1st serve for that set: Djokovic 61%/ Federer 47%

(some good shots of Ms Ivanovic in the crowd too..... :ninja: )

Obviously Djokovic is in great form but Murray looks like he has a chance of winning a Grand Slam without having to play Nadal or Federer.

He's unlikely to get a better chance than this.

Obviously Djokovic is in great form but Murray looks like he has a chance of winning a Grand Slam without having to play Nadal or Federer.

He's unlikely to get a better chance than this.

Unlikely, sure. I suspect his age - and Nadal's periodic fitness problems - mean there'll be future Slams where he's the man to beat, though.

Bizarre set of tennis, that. The interesting point for me was that it was always entirely in Djokovic's hands: Federer only came back into it when Novak went to pieces for about 15 minutes. Then the latter got his game back, and romped clear again. That seems like confirmation of Federer's relative decline, and that Djokovic is in the form of his life: I think he's playing like Safin did here in 2005, and if he keeps it up and closes the match out, will go into the final as a very warm favourite. Of course though, it's never over until it's over against Federer.

Website seems to be showing womens tennis now.. Got 5 live extra on now instead.

Nice shot of the Melbourne skyline. :)

I'm assuming it's something stupid like: can only broadcast up to 11am or some guff.

Well that's good...BBC Webshite has crashed for me. :down:

Website seems to be showing womens tennis now.. Got 5 live extra on now instead.

I'm on 5LSE as well. It's those government cuts: poor old Auntie can't cope! :rolleyes:

What time will it be GMT if Murray plays 7.30pm over there?

0830am I think.

Fed breaks...4-4.

Djokovic with 3 break points straight away.

1 gone...

2nd gone....

Does it.

Djokovic serving for the match.

Geoff Kilpatrick

What time will it be GMT if Murray plays 7.30pm over there?

We are 11 hours ahead here. Switch pm to am and add 1!

Ace for 2 match points.....

1 GONE..

2nd gone... :sweat:

ACE for another match pt..

Does it!

Cya later Nadal :rolleyes:

Cya later Roger pal :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

I thought that was awesome stuff from Djokovic - and even his whole demeanour has changed recently. There's a presence about him now which says he believes he's the best: as the commentators said, Serbia's Davis Cup win seems to have made a huge difference to his career, and his whole game is on fire.

There was the occasional sign of tiredness, so if Murray gets through, he has to chase Djokovic all over the court. But the man from Belgrade is a clear, clear favourite, and bang on course to win his second Grand Slam title.

rudi must stay

not sure this does Murray any favours tbh. Yes, the two strongest players are out but Ferrer and Djokovic are in the form of their lives just now.

I P Knightley

Prepared to let this one come back and bite me on the bum but here goes:

All the talk that Ferrer is an "iron man" who poses a serious threat to Murray is a load of journalistic bollocks. He's not a donkey by any stretch of the imagination but he doesn't have what it takes to gub Murray.

Federer's been up and down throughout this tourney - it's absolutely no surprise that Djoko "pumped him oot" (TM - 3inaBedsnore). Djoko's mastered the art of flying under the radar in recent majors for the early rounds. Maybe it's more of a UK thing that our press focus on Federer & Nadal plus, of course, the British Andy Murray. A dropped set in round 1 (I think) and then annihilation of his next few opponents (coupled with being given the afternoon off by his Davis Cup teammate at teh weekend) was not picked up on by the press and now they're all "Wooo! Djokovic is the real deal; he's a warm favourite etc, etc."

It's press balderdash. He's a perfectly fine player and deserves to be in the top 4. (I've written before about how I find him less and less easy to like as a sportsman, though.) When he and Murray meet in the final. Murray will not be faced, as he is when up against Federer or Nadal, of having to come from a psychological point or two behind. They will meet as equals and Murray knows that he'll win it; unlike against the big 2 when he always seems to be trying to convince himself that he might, just about, be in with a shout of it.

Last 3 meetings - all hard court; all Masters finals, all won by Murray.

It won't be a walk in the park but Murray, in his own head, ought to be the favourite and that's going to make a hell of a difference to his last couple of appearances in Slam finals.

Will I be watching it? Will I heck - flipping mini-rugby tournament, so I'll be standing on a touchline somewhere in the freezing cold wastes of south west London. :(

What time is the final going to be at uk time?

If Murray fails to beat Ferrer the morn then he is a massive bottler! No excuse to throw away such a superb chance at winning a grand slam!

If Murray was to win this years Austalian Open from his current position..........

How long until the British press HOUND him for winning it but not beating Nadal or Federer?

It is a dead cert.

Say What Again
If Murray fails to beat Ferrer the morn

I have a sneaking suspicion that is exactly what will happen.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Hope I'm wrong though.

I'll be amazed if Murray doesn't win in straight sets TBH.

Say What Again

I'll be amazed if Murray doesn't win in straight sets TBH.

I hope he does.

Murray's available at 6/4 to win the tournament. :ninja:

If Murray was to win this years Austalian Open from his current position..........

How long until the British press HOUND him for winning it but not beating Nadal or Federer?

It is a dead cert.

Well, in the scenario whereby he wins this tournament, but never wins Wimbledon, certain sections of the press (in particular the Daily Heil) and certain sections of the British public (that is to say, those who take a casual interest in tennis for two weeks a year and think it makes them an expert) will no doubt hound him. But in that case, all he has to do is show them a video of the 2011 Australian Open Final. That's how it works.

There's two kinds of tennis player: those who've won a Grand Slam, and those who haven't. As long as Murray, with all his talent, remains in the latter group, he's a legitimate target for flak - but if and when he joins the former one, his life will change forever. Besides, I doubt he gives a flying one about what people think of him: which is probably a large part of why he's so good.

Hope I'm wrong though.

I'm not ruling it out - the thought crossed my mind earlier too. But my predictions are:

Semi-final:

Murray in four

Final:

Djokovic in four

With my record, this pretty much guarantees David Ferrer's accession as Champion on Sunday. :teehee:

Archived