The Australian Open 2011

redm

Tennis time again - the Australian Open has started and Day 1 has finished already with what appears to be no shock results whatsoever. Ah well.

Murray (v. Karol Beck) and Nadal (v. Marcos Daniel) and Soderling (v. Potito Starace) all play at 11am Tues Aus/midnight tonight UK.....unsurprisingly Federer and Djokovic are already through from yesterday/today. This Australian time thing could end up being a right pain in the arse, actually. No idea how you Aussie Jambos ever manage to watch/listen to games live....

UK nightowls might want to note that it's being shown on British Eurosport. Eurosport 2 and Eurosport HD every night this week from midnight until midday/1pm or so.

'Mon the Murray. smile.gif

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Commander Harris

hope that dirty hobo bottler gets knocked out in the first round. :verymad:

(there you go Bigsmak :D)

Tennis time again - the Australian Open has started and Day 1 has finished already with what appears to be no shock results whatsoever. Ah well.

Murray (v. Karol Beck) and Nadal (v. Marcos Daniel) and Soderling (v. Potito Starace) all play at 11am Tues Aus/midnight tonight UK.....unsurprisingly Federer and Djokovic are already through from yesterday/today. This Australian time thing could end up being a right pain in the arse, actually. No idea how you Aussie Jambos ever manage to watch/listen to games live....

UK nightowls might want to note that it's being shown on British Eurosport. Eurosport 2 and Eurosport HD every night this week from midnight until midday/1pm or so.

:hobofish:

Woohoo.

Time to get hopelessly optimistic and excited and ultimately be let down again.

It's time for Murraymania!

Woohoo.

Time to get hopelessly optimistic and excited and ultimately be let down again.

It's time for Murraymania!

Probably... :biggrin:

But I like the fact that unlike football your hopes can be dashed and then reignited again a couple of times per season rather than running out of optimism sometime around Christmas. This season excepted, of course.

Maybe this time...

Geoff Kilpatrick

Most of the big matches are on prime time TV here (1930 onwards), meaning you'll get them in the morning GMT so it isn't so bad but cheers for the shout out to our dedication. :)

One thing though. I don't like tennis much but the Aussie Open isn't restrictive in the way Wimbledon is. You can buy tickets on the day and the Rod Laver will set you back $99 (?60) for the top match. Only the semis and final, IIRC, are sold out pre tournament. It's the main reason why it's the biggest attended of all the Slams.

Oh, and Pimms? Aussies wouldn't know what that is! :P

I can't believe no ones been on yet calling him a hibby yet

He's supposedly wearing a green t-shirt this year so I suspect there will be more hobo abuse aimed at him than normal.

He's supposedly wearing a green t-shirt this year so I suspect there will be more hobo abuse aimed at him than normal.

This is the outfit he's meant to be wearing.

9359am.jpg

Easy first rounder for Murray at this stage. In fairness, the first two matches are rarely a problem for top players, as they don't face anyone in the top 32 until round 3.

If Murray faces the returning del Potro in the last 16, that could be interesting; but at this juncture, he's at least a step behind the Big Two, who remain pre-eminent. Many pundits have tipped Federer to win Grand Slam number 17; I'm going with Nadal, but watch Djokovic closely. I think it's him, not Murray, who has the best prospect of sneaking in under the radar and causing a surprise: his run in New York revitalised him, and he was on fire in the Hopman Cup a couple of weeks back.

Meanwhile, if anyone's interested, look for Kim Clijsters to take the women's title.

Arthur Morgan

Did anyone see the post match interview? The interviewer said to Andy, "I bet you like that top even more with it being the colour of Hibernian"

Poor old Andy didn't know what to say, he gazed at his top with the look of embarrasment on his face, he didn't actually give a yes or no answer to the question, he seemed genuinely embarrased to be associated with the wee team :lol:

dobmisterdobster

Did anyone see the post match interview? The interviewer said to Andy, "I bet you like that top even more with it being the colour of Hibernian"

Poor old Andy didn't know what to say, he gazed at his top with the look of embarrasment on his face, he didn't actually give a yes or no answer to the question, he seemed genuinely embarrased to be associated with the wee team :lol:

He said "The Hibs boys would love it" or some shit like that.

The sooner he goes back to the good old blue and white combo, the easier I'll find it to support him through this tournament. I like to forget that he's even remotely connected to the hobos - even though he is essentially a pretend kiddy on hobo. :)

I P Knightley

Easy first rounder for Murray at this stage. In fairness, the first two matches are rarely a problem for top players, as they don't face anyone in the top 32 until round 3.

If Murray faces the returning del Potro in the last 16, that could be interesting; but at this juncture, he's at least a step behind the Big Two, who remain pre-eminent. Many pundits have tipped Federer to win Grand Slam number 17; I'm going with Nadal, but watch Djokovic closely. I think it's him, not Murray, who has the best prospect of sneaking in under the radar and causing a surprise: his run in New York revitalised him, and he was on fire in the Hopman Cup a couple of weeks back.

Meanwhile, if anyone's interested, look for Kim Clijsters to take the women's title.

It'll be interesting to see how Rafa copes with the pressure of achieving the "Rafa Slam". Fed's now at the point where he's achieved so much that I think he can relax back and play his game without the tension that saw him hiccup a few times on his way to breaking all the barriers. I'd (ever so slightly) favour Fed for this one - if both of them make it to the final.

I've liked Murray's attitude in the build-up. He's ignored the fact that Soderling and Djoko are above him in the rankings and spoken only about the challenge of Nadal and Federer. Clearly, it's delusional Hobo-bottler guff but an indication that his mindset is such that he sees himself in the top 3.

The sooner he goes back to the good old blue and white combo, the easier I'll find it to support him through this tournament. I like to forget that he's even remotely connected to the hobos - even though he is essentially a pretend kiddy on hobo. :)

:biglaugh: definitely not a kiddy-on hobo in that he dresses as a seat for every match, home and away.

Sadly, I did see a Tweet of his in which he confirmed that Hibs is his team.

The green top, though... I thought what he wore at the O2 was a bit much. This one's just ridiculous. Another Murray top that my sons won't be getting. I don't think that adidas thought this through. (I don't think they go much for the replica tennis kit market - there's next to nothing in kids' sizes.)

I reckon Djokovic has a great chance, and at 9/1 is a great price.

Ooh, rather! Love watching tennis B)

I P Knightley

Federer v Simon is building up a head of steam.

'mon the Fed. Simon's wearing green - hobo bottler; actually, it looks like he's properly cobbled together his outfit in the dark from 3 different kit bags.

After yesterday's football results I was hoping to get a clean sweep of good fortune and see Federer bow out but I really should have known better. Boooooo. Never mind.

Murray apparently won't be on before 7pm (8am Thurs UK time, I think...) so that could mean a morning of sneaky tennis watching tomorrow. thumbsup.gif

After yesterday's football results I was hoping to get a clean sweep of good fortune and see Federer bow out but I really should have known better. Boooooo. Never mind.

Murray apparently won't be on before 7pm (8am Thurs UK time, I think...) so that could mean a morning of sneaky tennis watching tomorrow. thumbsup.gif

Stupid woman's tennis on now

Stupid woman's tennis on now

Murray 4-0 up in the first set against Marchenko. Having to watch that stupid BBC ticker thingy so if anyone knows of any streams then let me know. Went to the normally reliable Justin TV and although the match is listed, the channel is currently broadcasting a picture of a dartboard. ermm.gif

Murray 4-0 up in the first set against Marchenko. Having to watch that stupid BBC ticker thingy so if anyone knows of any streams then let me know. Went to the normally reliable Justin TV and although the match is listed, the channel is currently broadcasting a picture of a dartboard. ermm.gif

You could try, I dunno, the BBC website?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9366319.stm

:D

YOU! I've just remembered, argh! :biggrin:

As for tennis, I was hoping to actually see it...y'know...as in watch the game...I already have the text thing...

You can see it! It's right there on the page I linked to, you MUP! :lol:

I expect nothing less than the QUADRUPLE from Muzza this year. The first couple will pave the way for Wimbeldon glory and at long long last a British champion.

Mon Muzza :thumbsup:

You can see it! It's right there on the page I linked to, you MUP! :lol:

Ah, but not for me....BBC think I'm in Sweden unfortunately and deny me any streaming content as a result. Boo.

Looks like he's about to finish off Marchenko anyway. Good stuff.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ah, but not for me....BBC think I'm in Sweden unfortunately and deny me any streaming content as a result. Boo.

Can you install Expat Shield at your work? Problem solved.

Me, I'm avoiding the tennis - it's amazing what you can find to do when the TV is rubbish!

Hang on - why do they think you're in Sweden? Are you in Sweden? :mellow:

Anyhoo, that was a walk in the park. The first two rounds of Grand Slams are so, so boring; but there are tougher challenges ahead for the, um, Boy in Green. <_<

Can you install Expat Shield at your work? Problem solved.

Me, I'm avoiding the tennis - it's amazing what you can find to do when the TV is rubbish!

Sadly not. IT are wise to such things....

To apply for unlocking please contact your local user help desk. Please include the following information:- The address (URL), that you want to access: "http://www.expatshield.com/"

- The category of this address: Anonymizers

Hang on - why do they think you're in Sweden? Are you in Sweden? :mellow:

Anyhoo, that was a walk in the park. The first two rounds of Grand Slams are so, so boring; but there are tougher challenges ahead for the, um, Boy in Green. <_<

Er, well...yes...but only in a virtual sense... :)

As for Murray, just saw photos from the match and was disappointed to spot yet another abomination of an outfit. This green and white thing needs to stop and stop quick...

Sounds like an easy one for him today but also seems he was playing some very nice stuff if the Beeb are to be believed. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez next up on Saturday presumably...

Er, well...yes...but only in a virtual sense... :)

As for Murray, just saw photos from the match and was disappointed to spot yet another abomination of an outfit. This green and white thing needs to stop and stop quick...

Sounds like an easy one for him today but also seems he was playing some very nice stuff if the Beeb are to be believed. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez next up on Saturday presumably...

If Murray reaches the final, I think he should go the whole hog and don a full Hibs strip, just to turn you against him. :P

Garcia-Lopez won't be a problem - but Marcos Baghdatis in the 4th round could be. Incidentally, did you know that other than in Paris, Murray's been drawn in the same half as Nadal at every Grand Slam since the 2007 US Open? Gotta be something amiss there, surely?

If Murray reaches the final, I think he should go the whole hog and don a full Hibs strip, just to turn you against him. :P

Garcia-Lopez won't be a problem - but Marcos Baghdatis in the 4th round could be. Incidentally, did you know that other than in Paris, Murray's been drawn in the same half as Nadal at every Grand Slam since the 2007 US Open? Gotta be something amiss there, surely?

To give you a sense of perspective on my Murray-Federer scale of preferences...you should know that Murray could even wear the Hibs strip and a Riordan mask and I'd still back him over Federer. :)

The Nadal thing is odd. ATP mafia must be at it. :biggrin:

To give you a sense of perspective on my Murray-Federer scale of preferences...you should know that Murray could even wear the Hibs strip and a Riordan mask and I'd still back him over Federer. :)

The Nadal thing is odd. ATP mafia must be at it. :biggrin:

Me too, Redders have a wee look at this, Hibs can only dream of playing like this:

Me too, Redders have a wee look at this, Hibs can only dream of playing like this:

I've never seen that before - brilliant! Think it's all real? geek.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG8jdpmCaVE&feature=related

Noticed some comments under the previous video talking about this one above so had a look....anyone know what the heck they're on about? Pusher? huh.gif

It means that, because of his tendency to be passive and not dominate the point, he's been labelled as one-dimensional. This is ridiculously harsh: he's one of the best counter-punchers the game's ever known. But tennis fans can be very cruel at times.

For a female counterpart, try Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario. Multiple Grand Slam winner, former world number one who got the better of Steffi Graf many times - but did tennis afficionados give her any credit? Nope. Because invariably, she let her opponents beat themselves and just harried them to defeat: just like Murray.

Murray played well today. Was a little sluggish, but safely through. An early threat to him, Del Potro's gone so another positive!

It means that, because of his tendency to be passive and not dominate the point, he's been labelled as one-dimensional. This is ridiculously harsh: he's one of the best counter-punchers the game's ever known. But tennis fans can be very cruel at times.

For a female counterpart, try Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario. Multiple Grand Slam winner, former world number one who got the better of Steffi Graf many times - but did tennis afficionados give her any credit? Nope. Because invariably, she let her opponents beat themselves and just harried them to defeat: just like Murray.

Ah gotcha. Never occurred to me to have an issue with his style of play, tbh. Maybe I'm not enough of an obsessive.

Ironic that some might think him to be the anti-flairmeister of Tennis though. Snigger. :)

Ah gotcha. Never occurred to me to have an issue with his style of play, tbh. Maybe I'm not enough of an obsessive.

Ironic that some might think him to be the anti-flairmeister of Tennis though. Snigger. :)

Heh - quite! :D

One thing though. If you look down the years, great attacking players have generally beaten great defensive ones. Murray's had to cope with, oooh, only the best attacking player of all time. And compounding this, the orher leviathan he has to get past does everything Murray does... but better. Hence him getting stuck.

He needs to find something new; some new tactic or weapon. Otherwise, he'll keep coming up short.

I P Knightley

Williams?

One game??

Must have known before going out that she wouldn't be able to make it but she had a new frock to display.

'kin hate womens' tennis.

Williams?

One game??

Must have known before going out that she wouldn't be able to make it but she had a new frock to display.

'kin hate womens' tennis.

After Monica Seles was stabbed, women's tennis went through a ghastly phase in which every tournament became a procession for Steffi Graf. But even then, it still had characters and icons to follow, and I still made a point of watching women's Grand Slams. But since the Williams brothers emerged, it's just got worse and worse and worse. The women's game has all the competitive depth of a paddling pool; most of its cast possess the collective will of purest blancmange. And other than the wonderful Clijsters, the public finds it hard to connect with any of them: so many of the players are one-dimensional, and just merge into one another.

Someone like Martina Navratilova must look on in horror at what's going on. It wasn't always like this - but women's tennis is a joke sport right now, and equal prize money is an obscenity when set against how magnificently competitive and exciting the men's game is.

And other than the wonderful Clijsters, the public finds it hard to connect with any of them: so many of the players are one-dimensional, and just merge into one another.

Addendum to the above - maybe I spoke too soon? Because here's the delightful Caroline Wozniacki showing she has brains as well as beauty, and having a bunch of journalists eating out of the palm of her perfectly formed hand:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/jan/21/caroline-wozniacki-australian-open-press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1wAcZvecM

caroline_wozniacki.jpg

I P Knightley

Addendum to the above - maybe I spoke too soon? Because here's the delightful Caroline Wozniacki showing she has brains as well as beauty, and having a bunch of journalists eating out of the palm of her perfectly formed hand:

http://www.guardian....lian-open-press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1wAcZvecM

caroline_wozniacki.jpg

There's a big difference between women's tennis :down: and women tennis players :thumbsup: .

Gavsy Van Gaverson

It was good to see Murray cruise through his 3rd round match. Lopez was incredibly poor though.

Its looking increasingly like Soderling in the Quarter Finals.

Yeah, never seen it but Murray safely through. Think his 4th round opponent will be Melzer, easy enough. Hopefully he gets some late matches so we can see them

Archived