The Australian Open 2011

redm

Murray didn't really struggle in the quarter. It was a fairly routine victory.

Once he pegged Ferrer back after a shaky start he took care of him easily enough.

I don't think Berdych is as good as you maybe do. And yes Djoko took care of Federer pretty well. A Federer who just about lost to Gilles Simon FFS!

Djokovic hasn't beaten one of the big two in a final yet either. :unsure:

The gulf between him and Murray is as nowhere near as big as was on show yesterday IMO.

Murray had a shocker. It happens.

On the form of the last five months, I'd say it is. Berdych has had far and away the best spell of his career since beating Federer at Wimby, yet Djokovic crunched him. And on Ferrer: against a guy with no weapons, whose best surface is slow clay, and was thrilled to just be in the semis, Murray was very close to going two sets down... then almost blew the fourth from a break up against someone who was out on his feet. I watched Murray get broken to love in that fourth set and thought:

"That's why he won't win the final".

Only he can determine whether that's why he'll never win one either.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the form of the last five months, I'd say it is. Berdych has had far and away the best spell of his career since beating Federer at Wimby, yet Djokovic crunched him. And on Ferrer: against a guy with no weapons, whose best surface is slow clay, and was thrilled to just be in the semis, Murray was very close to going two sets down... then almost blew the fourth from a break up against someone who was out on his feet. I watched Murray get broken to love in that fourth set and thought:

I suppose time will tell.

I'm not sure if it is a lack of belief or a lack of ability that will stop Murray.

At the moment it can't be known what has held him back, if he doesn't ever win one I think it'll be down to attitude rather than ability.

We'll see. I still hope he can do it but I've never been less sure that he will.

Berdych has done virtually nothing since Wimbledon.

as a nation we are losers, apart from at a few sports anyway. Why not just enjoy seeing a scot take on the best in the world?

Note to self: never hire Rudi Must Stay as a motivational speaker, or ever stand next to him in the trenches. :blink:

It's precisely this crap attitude that "well, we're losers anyway, so we should just be happy with minor successes" which means we don't ever achieve anything.

I hope Murray never adopts anything like your attitude - otherwise he'll never fulfil the potential his ability suggests and win a Slam.

Murray didn't really struggle in the quarter. It was a fairly routine victory.

Once he pegged Ferrer back after a shaky start he took care of him easily enough.

I don't think Berdych is as good as you maybe do. And yes Djoko took care of Federer pretty well. A Federer who just about lost to Gilles Simon FFS!

Djokovic hasn't beaten one of the big two in a final yet either. :unsure:

The gulf between him and Murray is as nowhere near as big as was on show yesterday IMO.

Murray had a shocker. It happens.

It's, IMO, a shocker every time he's been to a major final, though. How many finals does he need to surrender meekly in before you're allowed to ask questions of his mentality?

Losing to Federer at his best in straight sets once? Fair enough. Twice? Yeah, you can let him off with that.

But losing to Djokovic in straight sets, when you've struggled so badly to hold serve that you've given up at least one break point in all but 3 of your 13 service games? A pattern starts to emerge. We're always talking after his finals that "the other guy played amazing tennis" - it's not a coincidence. Murray is letting them.

I've backed the guy to the hills, but it doesn't look good for him at all just now.

Note to self: never hire Rudi Must Stay as a motivational speaker, or ever stand next to him in the trenches. :blink:

It's precisely this crap attitude that "well, we're losers anyway, so we should just be happy with minor successes" which means we don't ever achieve anything.

I hope Murray never adopts anything like your attitude - otherwise he'll never fulfil the potential his ability suggests and win a Slam.

It's, IMO, a shocker every time he's been to a major final, though. How many finals does he need to surrender meekly in before you're allowed to ask questions of his mentality?

Losing to Federer at his best in straight sets once? Fair enough. Twice? Yeah, you can let him off with that.

But losing to Djokovic in straight sets, when you've struggled so badly to hold serve that you've given up at least one break point in all but 3 of your 13 service games? A pattern starts to emerge. We're always talking after his finals that "the other guy played amazing tennis" - it's not a coincidence. Murray is letting them.

I've backed the guy to the hills, but it doesn't look good for him at all just now.

Don't get me wrong, I agree.

The way he played yesterday was the first time I've thought there is a good chance this isn't going to happen for him now.

But I'm not quite willing to dismiss him as not being good enough to yet though.

Don't get me wrong, I agree.

The way he played yesterday was the first time I've thought there is a good chance this isn't going to happen for him now.

But I'm not quite willing to dismiss him as not being good enough to yet though.

I think he is good enough, and that's where the question marks come in. I don't think I would have any worries if he'd lost in a tough 4/5 setter - it's the fact that he's now 3 in 3 for slam finals where it's been easy for his opponent. Whether anyone thinks he's good enough or not, as the 4th best player (IMO, 5th at worst) in the world he should be doing a hell of a lot better than that.

as a nation we are losers, apart from at a few sports anyway. Why not just enjoy seeing a scot take on the best in the world?

BOOM!:teehee:

Archived