How bad is Christophe Berra

robbogoal

Rudolf's Mate

Ok I kind of see how and why the op has said what he has. It's easy to forget how a player performed especially one which wasn't exactly convincing at the start of his hearts captaincy. I remember thinking the boy wasn't good enough for us let alone the EPL. I was proved wrong on both accounts as CB matured into a decent player.

The op has stated a few week points in his game peeps. CB was notorious for tugging at opponents shirts however so are some of the best defenders.

Tevez was on fire last night and let's face it, you could argue that the people around him let him down more than he was terrible.

Rudolf's Mate

Oh and I'd take him over Lescott! Watching the highlights Berra wasn't exactly solely at fault for any of the goals amd really only got skinned for one but so did 3 of his teamates.

Poor first touch, so one footed, always on his heels in one v ones, always on wrong side and grabbing back opponents, giving away daft free kicks....

His pace gets him out of a lot of trouble imho.

Good in the air and er quick...oh and heart of a lion but that doesnt make him a good player.

And just because I dont rate him doesnt mean I know nowt about fitbaw to be fair.

For example I think McManus is AWFUL, but he plays ahead of Berra for Scotland, even though berra plays in the epl and McManus in championship.

I think that says something.

I obviously see a completely different player. "His pace gets him out of trouble" - there lies an asset in your own eyes. How many better Scottish Central defenders can you name?

I watched the entire Man city v Wolves game yesterday on streampro due to our game being off.

In the first half, Berra was fabulous, he took terrific positions up throughout the half and made some excellent tackles and interceptions. Was regularly seen to be running down the forwards and winning all the headers. When attacking he won several headers in the box, that unfortunately did not develop.

In the second half, man city came out all guns blazing. Tevez, a player rated at ?30 million and on ?265,000 per week got the ball 30 yards out and ran direct at Berra who got squared up and skinned. It was not a 'mistake' or anything, simply an outstanding forward beating a defender. Used to happen all the time!

During the rest of the game Berra barely put a foot wrong and for the last 10 minutes was up front, winning header after header and even popping up on the right wing to play a neat one-two.

All in all I thought he had a great game and based upon what I saw today, the OP is a C0ck.

Rudolf's Mate

I watched the entire Man city v Wolves game yesterday on streampro due to our game being off.

In the first half, Berra was fabulous, he took terrific positions up throughout the half and made some excellent tackles and interceptions. Was regularly seen to be running down the forwards and winning all the headers. When attacking he won several headers in the box, that unfortunately did not develop.

In the second half, man city came out all guns blazing. Tevez, a player rated at ?30 million and on ?265,000 per week got the ball 30 yards out and ran direct at Berra who got squared up and skinned. It was not a 'mistake' or anything, simply an outstanding forward beating a defender. Used to happen all the time!

During the rest of the game Berra barely put a foot wrong and for the last 10 minutes was up front, winning header after header and even popping up on the right wing to play a neat one-two.

All in all I thought he had a great game and based upon what I saw today, the OP is a C0ck.

Proof that highlights don't do justice either way. Players that do nothing for a whole game bar 2 pieces of skill can look good whilst others who have a couple of bad moments yet otherwise have a solid game come out looking terrible.

To be fair to the OP, he has coached football teams.

Lay off the abuse aimed at him please.

In that case, Christophe Berra is the worst player ever to have pulled on the maroon, and the OP is clearly the new Alex Ferguson.

Rudolf's Mate

To be fair to the OP, he has coached football teams.

Lay off the abuse aimed at him please.

I agree some remarks are OTT and possibly a bit personal. Unfortunately due to the nature of the internet, rather than have a adult debate some are happy to make remarks you normally wouldn't find happen face to face.

Regardless of this just because the op teaches football doesn't mean he has the definitive say on who is good or bad. As I said, IMO he hit on some truths re CB however he did actually come good for us.

Berra is a decent player. A guy I know through work lives in birmingham and is a wolves season ticket holder. We often get a crack about berra an also about when mickey cameron was there. The general feedback is that berra is liked by the wolves fans and is fairly consistent/solid. Getting ripped off tevez is part and parcel of playing in the EPL against world class players. Tevez will be skinning someone else next weekend so chin up christophe. Swap deal for bouzy maybe? Lol, no chance.

jamboinglasgow

Berra is a decent player but he was rank the last time I saw him play against Sweden.

I do think he was hung out to dry in that match. Levein put Kenneth alongside him expecting to see the Kenneth of the previous season but out came a player who was a shadow of his former self (it is bizarre, I think Webster leaving United has a big part to play in that) and also Broadfoot on the right. It was always going to happen that the defence would ship goals.

Napoleon  Wilson

Berra is a decent player but he was rank the last time I saw him play against Sweden.

To be fair to Berra, the entire Scotland team was poor in that game :thumbsup:

Neither Wallace or Berra have looked able to 'step up' to the international level and have looked poor in their games. In Wallace's case it only appears to be a bit of day dreaming with crosses into the box (and he does that at Hearts too). This should be fairly easily coached out of him.

However, esp in Berra's case he just gets bits and pieces here and there at international level. With Levein also looking to cut down the international calendar it is going to be difficult for him to get any sustained run of games. And as we know in Scotland, unless you've played for the OF your 'mentality' for top class football is always in doubt. So despite Berra being the Scots centre half playing exceptionally well at the highest sustained level week in week out of any Scottish centre half, any Scots manager will always take the safety first option of a pensioner and a guy struggling to get a game in an awful lower Championship team.

Wilson should be trying to get a season loan out of Liverpool and playing regularly for a mid/low Premiership team and Levein sticking by Wilson and Berra for the remainder of this and the next qualifying campaign.

We_are_the_Hearts

He's a decent player but is defo limited. He has done well in his career considering this. Was never as good as Webster IMO.

I don't think he's bad at all.

P.S. I haven't coached any football teams.

I see something in the laddie Messi.

I've never coached either.

Maybe the OP once coached a player at the same time as Christophe who he thought was better - but took the burdz, drugs and booze option.

Mind you a coach who doesn't find pace, strength, height and heart as an attribute of a centre half rather concerns me for our future.

Reading the Wolves forum they are delighted with him and rate him better than an England international playing for one of the most expensively built teams in history.

If Wolves do go down - it will be interesting where he goes next. It won't be one of the OF cause Vlad wants to take a massive ?0.5m off each of them.

Loosen up dude! Don't take stuff so personally. You are bound to have thought your opinion on berrra wouldn't have been over-popular on here.

Anyway he doesn't know you from Adam so how can you be offended at him calling you a knob?

(not saying you're not a knob by the way :sweat:)

If a guy you dont know walks up and calls you a knob, you would just laugh it off?

Berra would walk back in to our team. Undoubtedly better than Bouzid and Zaliukas.

Yep

But I also agree with an earlier poster that Webster was better with us than any of them.

captained Wolves today vs Man City well donw that man

got skinned rotten by Tevez for the 2nd goal though

It happens. Tevez is a great player and great players skin people.

What happens is people see the short highlights on MOTD and any goal always shows up the defence. What they haven`t seen is the rest of the game when , possibly, they`ve been solid.

Berra is obviously rated by McCarthy and Wolves will probably always be his level, mid to lower Prem.

Good player in the SPL but in the big pond of the EPL just a normal, middle for diddle Centre half. But not rotten or crap acc to the OP.

On the point of coaching a team we all know people who do that or have done that who have no serious qualifications or knowledge so that is a meaningless defence for the OP. We have been spoilt over the years by our central defenders at Tynecastle and Berra was up there with the rest of them and most of us were sad to see him go. If an earlier post suggests Levein does not rate Berra then more evidence of doubt in the future for the national team. Craig's dream Scottish pairing would probably have been Kenneth and Wilkie, mmmmm what was that about pace and skill???

Rudolf's Mate
We have been spoilt over the years by our central defenders at Tynecastle and Berra was up there with the rest of them.

Think this is probably how some people don't think he's that good. That said some of our previous were exceptional with Elvis struggling to get in my top 4 maybe even 5! That's an indication (IMO) of how good we've had it. It's a hard act to follow.

Some have rightly pointed out that CB was terrible for tugging at players shirts. I think with Berra it wasn't that he did it and was more that he wasn't as clever as others such as Elvis in this department. You just have to look at Vidic today against Spurs who was cleverly pulling shirts all over the place.

Archived