Stephen Elliott

Mad Dog Frazer

Good addition by JJ i reckon.

It's clear that his level of work rate and effort is very high and that he is very much a team player. Playing out of position currently but he's done well and although many of us wanted him to have scored a few more by now, he's put in a lot of hard work and created space for others by dragging defenders out wide with him.

I also think that he is the one who anticipates Kyle's flick ons best in the squad and would probably flourish playing up front with him. Would be a solid and very dangerous pairing.

Couldn't agree more

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like him.

I'd like to see him hit the back of the net a bit more often though.

This is kinda my view as well.

A good, intelligent runner who does a heck of a lot of work for us, helping us create chances. He is stuck out on the right (not his fault) and that keeps him away from the goals more than he'd like. I'd be intrigued to see if he is used in Kyle's position if Kyle misses games as I'd like to see him released to be a goalscorer.

I would like to see more goals from him though. I don't expect him to hit the hundreds, but he is sitting at two from about eleven (wild guess) and think he could have put a few away in that time. In further defence of the laddie, a few of the chances he has missed could be down to the lack of pre-season and him taking time to build up fitness/sharpness/working relationship with his team mates so I am not overly concerned.

portobellojambo1

Sorry doc but I'll reserve my judgement on 2 T's till the end of the season and I see his goal tally, workrate and work ethic apart I'd like a striker to score goals.

Had my fill of Hearts strikers who put in a lot of effort but never get into the top ten spl goalscorers!

So, you are more interested in looking at lists at the end of the season and if someone who is a Hearts forward doesn't appear on that list you'd bin them.

Remember similar discussions on here in the past with the now departed Lacoste_Lad, who was of the same opinion at that time about Edgaras Jankuaskas. He was unable at that stage to understand what Jankuaskas brought to the team. His opinion was similar, "he is a striker therefore he must score goals". Our departed poster didn't quite follow the difference between a target man and an out and out striker (a role which one could argue hasn't existed in modern football for a long time. In Scottish football terms the last time we had players whose main if not sole requirement was to score goals were the likes of Ally McCoist and John Robertson).

The modern forward has to offer so much more, and while Stephen Elliott and Kevin Kyle continue to create the sort of situations which enable the likes of David Templeton, Rudi Skacel et al to feed from the open spaces created I will be delighted. To me I don't care who puts the ball in the opposition's net. We are now scoring goals regularly, goals from various people and long may it continue.

So, you are more interested in looking at lists at the end of the season and if someone who is a Hearts forward doesn't appear on that list you'd bin them.

Remember similar discussions on here in the past with the now departed Lacoste_Lad, who was of the same opinion at that time about Edgaras Jankuaskas. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140500416958&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_567wt_922 was unable at that stage to understand what Jankuaskas brought to the team. His opinion was similar, "he is a striker therefore he must score goals". Our departed poster didn't quite follow the difference between a target man and an out and out striker (a role which one could argue hasn't existed in modern football for a long time. In Scottish football terms the last time we had players whose main if not sole requirement was to score goals were the likes of Ally McCoist and John Robertson).

The modern forward has to offer so much more, and while Stephen Elliott and Kevin Kyle continue to create the sort of situations which enable the likes of David Templeton, Rudi Skacel et al to feed from the open spaces created I will be delighted. To me I don't care who puts the ball in the opposition's net. We are now scoring goals regularly, goals from various people and long may it continue.

Thanks for that.

All I'm saying is that regardless of how we play him or where we play him he has missed a lot more chances than he's scored goals. He had one prolific season at Sunderland and that's it.

Goals from midfield/wing are great but we deserve a striker who is prolific in the box... We need that if we are to maintain our position.

2Ts as far as I'm concerned is decent but there are other clubs in the spl whose strikers do his job for their clubs better.

So get off your high horse and accept that some of us still think that this club and in particular our strikeforce have a long way to go.

That said if we got the chance of an attacking midfielder I think it could change our teams shape and performance for the better. We still rely on Rudi/Temps and to a lesser extent KK for our goal threats. Plainly evident on early season form and the St J debacle that if we lose any/all of them at any time in a game we are flecked for ideas!

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Yes, a grafter and has a bit of quality about him. Am i right in saying he's being played out of position aswell?

Very good addition to the squad IMO.

It's a market we should operate in, players who've fell out of favour in the English 1st Div, the Scandinavian leagues also.

Because the scandinavian leagues have been good to us right enough! P.s i really like elliott, hope he keeps it up!

Johanes de Silentio

Because the scandinavian leagues have been good to us right enough! P.s i really like elliott, hope he keeps it up!

Tommi Grondlund - tremendous short term signing for us, imo! :thumbsup:

Find it hard to disagree with this in any way, shape or form.

Then again, I'm not 85 and I don't run a bus from Ayr, so have no knowledge of the game.

Well 2 out of 3 is not bad........

anyone in doubt about the boy, go and watch the aberdeen game again. The boy's movement is great and interaction with klye and temps has being great so far. With klye out, i would like to see him play right thru the middle with the other eilliot. " strikers, with 2 natural wingers in temps and novi/suso !

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Tommi Grondlund - tremendous short term signing for us, imo! :thumbsup:

B*stard! Forgot about him! Was obviously referring to juuuuuho.

Gronlund was well and truly the business.

Still not convinced by Elliott: I can't deny that he's got great attitude and impressive work rate, but there's just not been enough direct influence on the scoreline for me. I could accept if he was contributing assists while not necessarily scoring, but neither seems to be happening at the moment.

I'll give him plenty of chance though - I reckon he will turn out to be a good signing for us.

I like him, reminds me abit of Adam, intelligent runs, creates space for other players. Dont think he's a twenty goals a season striker but think he will get ten and make as many as he scores. :thumbsup:

Elliott clearly has talent and a good footballing brain. Not an out in out goalscorer though.

Snake Plissken

I like him.

I'd like to see him hit the back of the net a bit more often though.

These are my thoughts also.

jack D and coke

I think he is a super player. His work rate is phenominal, he even covers back for full backs. He's quick and robust, makes unselfish runs to create space for others.

I dont think thats something you could say about him at all. He's very injury prone i reckon.

I think it's hard to properly judge him at the moment. You sign front players to score you goals and he's not really done that....yet anyway. Plus points are he works defenders very hard covers lots of ground but jury's out at the moment for me.

I'm very hopeful he'll come good though and by no means a bad signing at this moment in time.

Excellent player. Technically better than most in the SPL. Some folk on here baffle me, clearly don't know a football player when they see one. I've been saying for ages that I think Elliott is a great signing. He has had his share of injuries too remember, I think he will come good with goals as well.

I think he's been good so far. adds a lot to the team, workrate is good and with a wee bit more luck rather than hitting the woodwork or keepers making excellent saves he could easily have 5 or 6 goals. All whilst playing in a pretty unfamiliar position.

There is a player in there however he needs to start finding the net. To be fair to him it's his first season in the league so you can allow him time to adapt. Needs to come good though.

would you give the same consideration to a goalkeeper who was letting in 5 a game.

Good player. Being played more wide though limits his chances of being in the box more often to get on the end of things.

He has brought the pest element we were missing previously and while has missed some good chances he has contributed to goals with his workrate and willingness to cause problems.

At least he is in there to miss chances, as time goes on i think he`ll notch a decent amount of goals.

Saying he should score a lot of goals when he's basically playing out of position on the right is asking a bit much imo. I would like to see him get a chance playing through the middle if Kyle is to be out for a while. I'm not sure if he gets a game if everyone is fit, but I think he's a very good signing for us to have.

good player, presses the opposition backline from the the front, could do with a few more goals to his name, but a good signing nonetheless by JJ.

I'd also like to see Elliott given a chance through the middle in KK's absence.

Obviously, going small in a 4-2-3-1 is a different, and more challenging, prospect than the team are used to, but it's not impossible. The forwards would have to work on short, quick pass-and-move plays around the last third in order to shift defenders out of position and create space for a shot rather than relying on the knock-down, second ball approach. The team to look at in this scenario is Man City when Tevez plays up top. Obviously, Hearts aren't in that league, but the blueprint for Elliott leading the line is there.

That said, Elliott is better in the air than his height would suggest, so JJ's plan A wouldn't be completely out the window.

JamboJohn1874

His pace and general work rate has impressed me greatly since he has been fit; however does appear to be prone to the frequent blunder and does not always hold the ball up well enough for my liking.

A striker is judged on goals, so the bottom line is, if he doesn?t start scoring any soon he will start to get the same stick his utterly useless namesake gets. A blind man could score goals with the number of lays off created by Kyle, so there are no excuses really.

Here's hoping he comes good!

A lot is being made about how is out of position and this limits his scoring potential, which is true. However he has still had chances, down to his good work I might add, but totally fluffed the chances, he lacks composure and technique imo. Decent addition with a great attitude, but no more/less.

A lot is being made about how is out of position and this limits his scoring potential, which is true. However he has still had chances, down to his good work I might add, but totally fluffed the chances, he lacks composure and technique imo. Decent addition with a great attitude, but no more/less.

Great strikers often have really wee feet - like Robbo.

Elliott has great big Daffy Duck feet.

I dont think thats something you could say about him at all. He's very injury prone i reckon.

I think it's hard to properly judge him at the moment. You sign front players to score you goals and he's not really done that....yet anyway. Plus points are he works defenders very hard covers lots of ground but jury's out at the moment for me.

I'm very hopeful he'll come good though and by no means a bad signing at this moment in time.

I think robust is a suitable term for him, he doesn't shirk tackles and when he goes in he does it robustly. Football is a team game, and while you expect goals to come from front men thes is a lot more to it tahn that, e.g. Sandy Clark and JC playing with JR.

Took his goal well v Hibs, done well to get on the end of a cross to head home v Aberdeen. Yes, he has missed good chances but there you have a mixed bag. I always look at the positives if there are more there than negatives and i think this is the case with him.

Alot of fans keep banging on about this 20 goal a season striker we should be signing but is it as simple as that? Teams are built a certain way by good managers who know what sort of players they have at their disposal.

At the moment, you probably couldn`t set up our strongest 11 any better. Alot of football nowadays is all about the midfield and springing attacks. As we know, Kyle knocks around the centre halves while bringing the play up into the last third for Skacel, Temps etc.. to break forward...whenever that situation materialises. Therefore, you haven`t necessarily got your centre forward always in scoring positions.

Similar to 98 and 06, we have goals spread around the side and that is far more important than the reliance on one man only to knock them in. I`d love a 20 goal a season man, but i think you`d be looking at remoulding the team quite a bit and building that team to suit his needs.

Thing is, if our scoring rate continues and certain players stay fit, some might not be far off finishing over the 15 goal mark as it is.

We're now having to deal with injuries and (no doubt) suspensions.

But it's pretty clear that the 11 who played consistently through most of November and December form an impressive unit, where everyone knows their place. That's made for the best run of results in five years. Elliott's been a key part of that. I couldn't care less how many goals he's scored - the team's been winning games and picking up points.

Silenced a few critics this evening.

Well done, Stephen :thumbsup:

Apologies if I have the wrong poster, but, will you say nice things to this player whilst having your Kung Po Chicken?

Apologies if I have the wrong poster, but, will you say nice things to this player whilst having your Kung Po Chicken?

YES!!! :rolleyes:

YES!!! :rolleyes:

Good lad.:thumbsup:

I knew that as you were big enough to give it out that you were big enough to take it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent player. Technically better than most in the SPL. Some folk on here baffle me, clearly don't know a football player when they see one. I've been saying for ages that I think Elliott is a great signing. He has had his share of injuries too remember, I think he will come good with goals as well.

TOLD YOU SO! :woot:

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Watched the guy at Sunderland a couple of years ago before they came up to the EPL and he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the park. I was absolutely delighted when we signed him.

The guy is CLASS.

I posted that I dont think he would have any doubters if he just had one or two more goals. Hes on 4 now so should really look to double figures which wouldn tbe a bad first season.

Well done 2T's good to be proved wrong... Hoping that this is the start of a beautiful relationship 'Steven Elliott and Hearts!'

He looks like a great instinctive finisher, and he also does a power of work when he is playing wide on the right. Looking like another excellent signing from JJ :thumbsup:

alwaysthereinspirit

Only 6 months into hopefully what turns out to be a succesful Hearts career.

Works his @$$ off for others and obviously a team player.

Haven't seen all his games but dont remember him missing many clear cut "poacher" chances per say.

Like most goal scorers probably needs a run of games with a few goals to get him thinking he's unstoppable.

I think he'll come good.

:thumbsup:

Archived