Greatest players to grace away dressing room

joshp

Who are the best players to have visited Tynecastle on an opposing team, the fine people at Hearts FC are asking on facebook.

Thoughts?

Teuchterjambo

Stanley Matthews must rate as one of the greats - played for Stoke City in a challenge match in the 1960's, he was in his late 40's at the timeand still playing top class football.

Laudrup, gazza and larsson

Those three in my lifetime. :thumbsup: I'd like to add Di Canio but only started liking him when he signed for West Ham.

Templeton'sUnderpants

Folk on the facebook page seem to either not know what the Away dressing room is or not know what Tynie is....

As for my suggestion, Claudio Caniggia?

In modern times Laudrup, Gazza and Larsson. Maybe Butcher, Souness, Dalglish, Baxter, Johnstone, from previous eras. Not one of the best players, but one of the best performances was by Mark Walters.

Ginola and Beardsley i think played in friendlies against us for Newcastle at Tynie. Along with the others mentioned above. Neville Southall too I think for Henry Smith's testimonial.

jambos are go!

Jim Baxter, Kenny Dalgleish and Gordon Smith of Hibernian. I suspect the ultimate Wembley Wizard Hughie Gallagher also graced the Tynecastle away Dressing Room whilst with Airdrie.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Of the players I had the privilege of actually seeing - Jimmy Johnstone and Kenny Dalgish, way ahead of anyone else.

Ronaldinho

Thierry Henry

Samuel Eto'o

(if we sneak Murrayfield into the equation as a 'home' ground). ;)

28/7/07?

Patrick Berger whilst not one of the greatest did a fair bit in the game.

Played against us for Slavia Prague early 90s

If you believe the Liverpool supporters the best player to ever ply for them was Kenny Dalgleish so I suppose he would be up there. He was good.

Hearts Heritage

Are we talking in their prime? If not, Did Gorge Best play at tyne/ Just a thought :mellow:

Never played.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Never played.

He did

Was Alex McDonald or Sandy Jardine's testimonial iirc. 30 yards off the pace but sublime placing of a ball like you've never seen.

He did

Was Alex McDonald or Sandy Jardine's testimonial iirc. 30 yards off the pace but sublime placing of a ball like you've never seen.

You are right. I was there :ermm::D and you are right about his class that day, it stuck out like a mile and if I remember correctly :( he looked about 60 I seem to remember him making one run half the length of the pitch and the crowed going daft in a jovial type of manner. :D

Hearts Heritage

He did

If He did my mistake.

Who are the best players to have visited Tynecastle on an opposing team, the fine people at Hearts FC are asking on facebook.

Thoughts?

Laudrup (just the best end of!)

Davie Coop (proper legend)

Andy Goram

Terry Butcher (best left peg i have ever seen)

Coisty

Hateley

Slim Jim

Are we talking in their prime? If not, Did Gorge Best play at tyne/ Just a thought :mellow:

Did Hibs not play Meadowbank in another useless attempt at the Scottish cup @ tynie with Best in their team?

Augenthaler, Thon and Reuter from Bayern Munich, Balakov from Stuttgart and Susic and Rocheteau from PSG.

(Thanks London Hearts for refreshing my memory)

Whenever I'm asked this kind of question about great players I've seen at Tynecastle I always think back to a tournament played I think at the start of the 79/80 1st Div winning season called the Skol Festival Cup or something like that.

It was a mini pre season tournament with Us, Hibs, Man City and Coventry.

It was one of the few times me and the auld man went to football together (he was still very much Tynie one week Easter Road the next with his mates out on the piss kind of thing which used to be the norm for a lot of working men)

Anyway I digress

Playing for that Coventry team was a youth player just breaking through at the time and the day they played at Tynecastle this guy was head and shoulders above everyone on the park and anything I'd ever seen at football before. I remember him getting a standing ovation from the crowd that day.

His name?

Mark Hateley.

Gazza - what a player.. we were lucky to have a player of his level in Scotland.. it would never happen now..

Walter Bishop

I have to say it has been a pleasure to be able to see guys like Laudrup, Gascoigne, Mols, Larsson, Moravcik and Di Canio all play at Tynecastle.

Can anyone confirm this?

Dzeko was a 17 year old substitute for Zeljeznicar books when we played them in the UEFA cup.

Stanley Matthews must rate as one of the greats - played for Stoke City in a challenge match in the 1960's, he was in his late 40's at the timeand still playing top class football.

The only game my father ever took me too. For some reason I was more interested in getting Roy Barry to autograph my programme than Sir Stan.

eddie fenwick

The only game my father ever took me too. For some reason I was more interested in getting Roy Barry to autograph my programme than Sir Stan.

i was just looking at the prog the other day

Teuchterjambo

I'll bet you turned out to be a bit of a "ball winner" yourself with that outlook !

:whistling:

pleasure

A pleasure? I hated every second of it and every part of them.

Gazza, horrible drunken cheat but excellent footballer.

Archived