The Return of Lee Wallace

Dalry

Whilst Ruben has done very well at left back, and actually got better there, he is no Lee Wallace. We have some big games coming up soon so now is the time for JJ to get him in the first team, maybe for 75mins if he's fit enough for Saturday. He's been on the bench for the last two games and whilst it's a shame on Ruben but we need our best players playing and no-one can argue that Lee is much better at left-back than Ruben. Lee and Temps would be awesome and after a few games we have the OF back-to-back, we need our best players.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Whilst Ruben has done very well at left back, and actually got better there, he is no Lee Wallace. We have some big games coming up soon so now is the time for JJ to get him in the first team, maybe for 75mins if he's fit enough for Saturday. He's been on the bench for the last two games and whilst it's a shame on Ruben but we need our best players playing and no-one can argue that Lee is much better at left-back than Ruben. Lee and Temps would be awesome and after a few games we have the OF back-to-back, we need our best players.

I agree that the St Johnstone game is a good chance to blood him back into first team action. Dont agree however that he has a divine right to walk straight back into the team though. Lets see how he gets on on Saturday (if given the chance). He may need to work on his match sharpness, although JJ seems content that he is a "naturally fit laddie"

Agree with both posts above. I think we lack at fullback on the ball at the moment. Neither Eggy nor Pala give possession away but neither do they create or do anything with purpose. Lee Wallace, should he be ready and find form quickly, will add so much impotus to our play whilst not taking anything away in any way from our defensive unit - infact he'll strengthen it imo.

Also improves the squad in that he can play at CH too and would have to be 1st choice to cover Zal at left CB should Zal get imjured.

Can't wait to see him back.

Agree with both posts above. I think we lack at fullback on the ball at the moment. Neither Eggy nor Pala give possession away but neither do they create or do anything with purpose. Lee Wallace, should he be ready and find form quickly, will add so much impotus to our play whilst not taking anything away in any way from our defensive unit - infact he'll strengthen it imo.

Also improves the squad in that he can play at CH too and would have to be 1st choice to cover Zal at left CB should Zal get imjured.

Can't wait to see him back.

Eggert gives possession away 90% of the time he gets it.

He'll have acres of space in front of him to run into, but no he'll take one touch forward and get the pitching wedge out before hoofing it up the park.

The guy frustrates the life out of me.

While Rubens has done OK he is far too slow in getting back, fortunately we have had other players working hard to cover in. Bringing back Wallace brings back quality to the position, it will make us noticably stronger on that side.

Templeton'sUnderpants

I would say bring him on second half against St johnstone, Surprised so many people think he should walk back into such a successful team. Every single player must earn their place. Bare in mind wee novikovas is on the bench and look at the bags of quality he has. I'm sure Lee will earn his place back but letting him walk back in without doing so is how you hump the group dynamic thats in place by making some players seem more important than others.

Eggert gives possession away 90% of the time he gets it.

He'll have acres of space in front of him to run into, but no he'll take one touch forward and get the pitching wedge out before hoofing it up the park.

The guy frustrates the life out of me.

To be fair to Eggy, he's not a right back, nor is he a creative midfielder whilst Ruben is naturally a creative midfielder. Eggert's talent lies at mopping up and keeping the opposition out. We need a recognised right back imo and hopefully Oor Vlad dips his hands in his pockets to help bring one in.

As far as Lee Wallace goes, he's coming back at the perfect time. JJ has a few games before we start facing the Old Firm to blood him back in and get him match fit.

With Wallace at left back, I'm more convinced we can go toe for toe with the old firm. He's got better tactical awareness and can read the game which Celtic or Rangers want to play - which is probably why they will want to sign him come the summer.

Tell you something. Its some squad we've got, isn't it.

Deodato

portobellojambo1

While I'm naturally delighted that both Lee Wallace and Andy Driver are now close to being ready for first team football I hope that Jim Jefferies makes both of them fight to get their places back in the team. While neither Eggert Jonsson or Ruben Palazuelos are playing in their natural positions I think it would be fundamentally wrong to pull either out of the side just now, unless it was based on a dropping of their standard of performance.

Both have played a huge part in a back 4 who have, together, ensured we have conceded few goals (2) over a number of games, in fact you'd probably have to look way, way back to find a back 4 who have performed better together. To simply cast someone aside at this stage could give the wrong message, and destroy the confidence within the team.

I would argue that the reason we are getting so much out of Skacel on the left side of midfield is down to Palazuelos to a large extent. He gets the ball and plays simple passes to Skacel who is then able to slot the ball to someone further forward. We are functioning very well as a team at the moment, and one could argue that nobody who has played a part in the recent run deserves to be cast aside at this time.

I have no doubt Wallace will come in and play to the level we expect of him, but to simply turn around to the likes of Palazuelos now and say "thanks for the last few weeks, you've done a sterling job along with the rest of the defence, but Lee is fit now and you are out" is just so wrong. If Palazuelos drops his levels that is the time to bring Lee back in. We also have the luxury of knowing, from last season, that Lee can slot in in the central defensive positions if needed, and that is what we really want and need, competition to keep everyone on their toes and working to stay in a winning side.

While I'm naturally delighted that both Lee Wallace and Andy Driver are now close to being ready for first team football I hope that Jim Jefferies makes both of them fight to get their places back in the team. While neither Eggert Jonsson or Ruben Palazuelos are playing in their natural positions I think it would be fundamentally wrong to pull either out of the side just now, unless it was based on a dropping of their standard of performance.

Both have played a huge part in a back 4 who have, together, ensured we have conceded few goals (2) over a number of games, in fact you'd probably have to look way, way back to find a back 4 who have performed better together. To simply cast someone aside at this stage could give the wrong message, and destroy the confidence within the team.

I would argue that the reason we are getting so much out of Skacel on the left side of midfield is down to Palazuelos to a large extent. He gets the ball and plays simple passes to Skacel who is then able to slot the ball to someone further forward. We are functioning very well as a team at the moment, and one could argue that nobody who has played a part in the recent run deserves to be cast aside at this time.

I have no doubt Wallace will come in and play to the level we expect of him, but to simply turn around to the likes of Palazuelos now and say "thanks for the last few weeks, you've done a sterling job along with the rest of the defence, but Lee is fit now and you are out" is just so wrong. If Palazuelos drops his levels that is the time to bring Lee back in. We also have the luxury of knowing, from last season, that Lee can slot in in the central defensive positions if needed, and that is what we really want and need, competition to keep everyone on their toes and working to stay in a winning side.

Completely agree PJ1. The irrational urge from some on here to drop Ruben and Eggert is laughable.

Tell you something. Its some squad we've got, isn't it.

I feel like we still need a proper right back and maybe another centre forward.

scott herbertson

Ruben is suspended for the next 2 games so Wallace will play anyway.

deal scenario - I agree with others that as someone who has played very well in the position recently it would be poor for team morale if he was instantly dropped when Lee is fit. This allows it o happen naturally and to test Lee's fitness

Ruben is suspended for the next 2 games so Wallace will play anyway.

Has he gone over the disciplinary points threshold?

Any idea if Kyle is also suspended, heard he might be after his weekend yellow?

Has he gone over the disciplinary points threshold?

Any idea if Kyle is also suspended, heard he might be after his weekend yellow?

Kyle got booked on Saturday and should be suspended soon, but his booking doesn't show on the SPL site???? Nightmare if we lost him for the two OF games.

Completely agree PJ1. The irrational urge from some on here to drop Ruben and Eggert is laughable.

It's a difficult one though as do we play a player who is doing well but leave a better one on the bench? What if Kyle or Rudi was injured and the midfield or strikers played well for a couple of games, would you leave them out of an OF game? Wallace is different class, great defender and great going forward. Do we just leave out an international player until Ruben drops form??? What if Ruben plays ok for the rest of the season???

Difficult one for JJ, and I agree he can't upset morale, but Ruben for me is more of a "squad" player than first team regular. Again, difficult one.

Buffalo Bill

If Ruben is suspended then fair enough but if he wasn't, I'd have kept the same back four until they lost their miserliness.

Lee's return is most welcome though.

Looking forward to welcoming Andrew Driver back too.

Creepy Lurker

I still don't rate Ruben as a left back, so I'd be happy to see Wallace in ASAP. Him and Rudi going down the left sounds like a tasty combination.

My only slight worry is that Rudi doesn't track back as much as Wallace was used to with previous left wingers, which might hold him back from bombing forward as much as he has done in the past.

Wallace is a better player, in every area compared to pala.....should he walk in to the team? Aye, but only if he is showing the same ability and hunger in training as he was before.

I think he was the best Scottish player in the SPL before his injury. His consistency was 2nd to none before Scotland got him injured.

JamboAberdeen

Let's give Wallace sub appearances next few games once we got, say 2 goals up?

Ruben may need some rest after hectic run of game, and Wallace also needs some playing time on his belt.

Think next cup game will be useful, we need whole team, not just starting 11.

Lee Wallace, fully fit, is miles ahead of Palazuelos and should be picked ahead of him for left back all day long and twice on Sundays.

End of.

Tommy Wiseau

:lol:

1. Skacel is doing well "on the left side of midfield". Is he now? :rofl:

2. It's "illogical", "laughable" and/or "wrong" to want our best player in the team again. :blink:

Lee Wallace will be working hard in training and his attitude will be spot on - when has he ever done anything else for the club? Will he improve the team? Of course he will. Therefore, he should be back in asap.

Sorry, but as well as Ruben has done recently at left back he's not done enough to make himself our number one choice there; we are simply not a team with the luxury of leaving out our best player. I very much doubt Ruben will be taking the hump at losing his place to the best left back in the league, to be honest. It's no like the laddie has been out after losing form or having a bad attitude - he's our vice captain and got a bad injury after starting the season (and the 3 before it) as our top boy at LB.

Yes, give it all the patter - "Wallace will have to work hard to get back in the team/he'll have to earn his place" etc etc - but at the end of the day, he'll be going back in the team post-haste.

Let's not forget that a couple of months ago Mr Romanov was getting pelters for vetoing a deal for "released by Morecambe ace" Tony Ferrino when Wallace got injured. God bless Mr R once again on that one. :thumbsup:

Ruben puts in a better cross when attacking than Wallace.

I must have missed that one, which game was it?

scott herbertson

I must have missed that one, which game was it?

Good one for Elliott against Aberdeen

:lol:

2. It's "illogical", "laughable" and/or "wrong" to want our best player in the team again. :blink:

Lee Wallace will be working hard in training and his attitude will be spot on - when has he ever done anything else for the club? Will he improve the team? Of course he will. Therefore, he should be back in asap.

Sorry, but as well as Ruben has done recently at left back he's not done enough to make himself our number one choice there; we are simply not a team with the luxury of leaving out our best player. I very much doubt Ruben will be taking the hump at losing his place to the best left back in the league, to be honest. It's no like the laddie has been out after losing form or having a bad attitude - he's our vice captain and got a bad injury after starting the season (and the 3 before it) as our top boy at LB.

Yes, give it all the patter - "Wallace will have to work hard to get back in the team/he'll have to earn his place" etc etc - but at the end of the day, he'll be going back in the team post-haste.

Let's not forget that a couple of months ago Mr Romanov was getting pelters for vetoing a deal for "released by Morecambe ace" Tony Ferrino when Wallace got injured. God bless Mr R once again on that one. :thumbsup:

Ruben will play until form or suspension dictates otherwise. The guy has not put a foot wrong and to drop now would be criminal. If that were to happen there would be no incentive for any player to come into the team to claim a place. Wallace is a great player but there is absolutely nothing he could have done any better than Ruben during our recent form.

Creepy Lurker

...yeah?

...yeah?

He's not been playing left midfield other than his first sub appearance against Motherwell..

TEMPS and Wallace though, yes please!

Ruben will play until form or suspension dictates otherwise. The guy has not put a foot wrong and to drop now would be criminal. If that were to happen there would be no incentive for any player to come into the team to claim a place. Wallace is a great player but there is absolutely nothing he could have done any better than Ruben during our recent form.

If ruben had shown to be a better player than Wallace I would agree with your statement.... but he hasnt.

I knew fitba fans were short of memories at times but to think ruben has done better than Wallace is a little laughable.

If ruben had shown to be a better player than Wallace I would agree with your statement.... but he hasnt.

I knew fitba fans were short of memories at times but to think ruben has done better than Wallace is a little laughable.

On current form what difference would have Wallace made to the team ? Christ we have lost 2 goals in 9 game or so. It is not about comparing the players as Wallace is clearly a better LB than Ruben. However you can't drop a player who has just had 2-3 months of top form.

Creepy Lurker

He's not been playing left midfield other than his first sub appearance against Motherwell..

TEMPS and Wallace though, yes please!

I've been sitting here looking at this for a while now, thinking: 'have I really been paying this little attention?'

Now that I think about it, this is actually right. How I've managed not to notice is still confusing me.

No brainer for me. Lee Wallace would walk into any team in SPL at left back so he's a must for us.

Will improve an already good outfit.

The issue here is do you drop a player who is playing well for us and put in a better player who has returned from injury. IMO yes you do. Why? Because we will improve as a team. Ruben as a left back, 6 or 7 out of ten which is great for a guy who doesn't play there. But wallace is 8 or 9 out of ten and I don't think anyone in the team would be surprised to see Lee back in. Other situations such as Driver are different, Temps and Skacel are as good, and right now better than he is so Driver will have to prove himself.

Valentine Jambo

Agree entirely with you both. No need to change a winning team :thumbsup:

Templeton'sUnderpants

This issue isn't that Lee is the better player, I don't think that is up for discussion. However how do you justify dropping a player who hasn't put a foot wrong in 9 games? If Wallace walks back in it sets a precedent. Will Rudi/Temps then think that Driver walks back in? It's not good for morale and therefore Lee should earn his place just like everybody else.

This issue isn't that Lee is the better player, I don't think that is up for discussion. However how do you justify dropping a player who hasn't put a foot wrong in 9 games? If Wallace walks back in it sets a precedent. Will Rudi/Temps then think that Driver walks back in? It's not good for morale and therefore Lee should earn his place just like everybody else.

It isn't about fairness. It's about putting the best team out - as Calum Elliot found earlier when he was dropped, having played very well in the early part of the season, because 2Ts is a better player. When Driver comes back, Jim has a real decision to make, given how well Rudi and Temps have been playing, but I don't think that Ruben has been playing so well that he shows signs of being potentially as good or better than Lee.

I would be really disappointed if Jim put out anything other than the strongest side he has available for the fixtures coming up, and if that means that someone is dropped despite playing well, then that's sometimes just the way it has to be.

...a bit disco

And all this just highlights the impact that a lack of reserve team football has on this league.

Radioactive Mince

My wife and I were discussing this dilemma at the game on Sat. She suggested putting Wallace in at right back. It seemed an odd idea at the time but maybe it might be the fairest thing for all as IMO Eggert's been a wee bit unconvincing of late while, again just MO, Ruben's been doing well.

It's a pickle for Jefferies, a good one obviously. It's great that we're not being pressured into throwing rehab players back into the team. Long may this continue.

Templeton'sUnderpants

It isn't about fairness. It's about putting the best team out - as Calum Elliot found earlier when he was dropped, having played very well in the early part of the season, because 2Ts is a better player. When Driver comes back, Jim has a real decision to make, given how well Rudi and Temps have been playing, but I don't think that Ruben has been playing so well that he shows signs of being potentially as good or better than Lee.

I would be really disappointed if Jim put out anything other than the strongest side he has available for the fixtures coming up, and if that means that someone is dropped despite playing well, then that's sometimes just the way it has to be.

I couldny gee 2 shites about the fairness, but I would bet you that the players in the team do. I'm interested in morale. a slightly worse team with great morale are a thousand times better than a slightly better team with nae morale. Having said that I really haven't the slightest clue what goes on inside the other players minds, JJ on the other hand will do. I trust JJ to do what is right either way.

On the matter of Calum he was very unlucky that he got injured and 2Ts came in as he was flying at the time.

Ruben Palazuelos has done well for us. After a really slow start, he is playing well at left back.

However, Lee Wallace is our best left back and arguably our best player, he will be in the team soon enough and I'd like to think he was our left full back when we go to Glasgow.

Ruben Palazuelos has done well for us. After a really slow start, he is playing well at left back.

However, Lee Wallace is our best left back and arguably our best player, he will be in the team soon enough and I'd like to think he was our left full back when we go to Glasgow.

The thing is some fans are saying that he should have to "earn" his place back in the team, so let's say that he has to do that, but we play the OF at least twice in about 3 weeks time. He would be a lot sharper if he went into the team for Sunday and played three games prior to the OF. I agree that Ruben has done well, but we need our best players playing, and JJ's good man-management skills should sort Ruben out. No-one in the team is going to think that if they play well they'll be out, this is just the way it works. JJ himself said that Stevenson had played very well against Well and St.Mirren but Rudi came back for the Hibs game because he is a stronger player.

It's Jim Jefferies' job to put teams on the park to win games for Hearts. "Fairness" does not come in to it. If he thinks Lee Wallace will offer more than Pala (a no-brainer imo, dependent on sharpness) then of course he should and will play.

If we resigned Craig Gordon tomorrow, would it be "fair" for Kello to be our number 2? Ridiculous to even consider it and the gulf in class is similar above imo.

Pala does OK at LB - he's pretty steady but I think Zal playing at left sided CB helps him no end as he does still get caught out positionally (he was posted missing more than once 2nd half on Sat). He can whip a decent ball into the box too, but he doesn't really offer anything going forward which we know Lee does better than any LB in the league.

Imagine Lee overlapping Temps (or Novi) and taking defenders away from them and opening up more space...

The thing is some fans are saying that he should have to "earn" his place back in the team, so let's say that he has to do that, but we play the OF at least twice in about 3 weeks time. He would be a lot sharper if he went into the team for Sunday and played three games prior to the OF. I agree that Ruben has done well, but we need our best players playing, and JJ's good man-management skills should sort Ruben out. No-one in the team is going to think that if they play well they'll be out, this is just the way it works. JJ himself said that Stevenson had played very well against Well and St.Mirren but Rudi came back for the Hibs game because he is a stronger player.

For me, he'd be on the bench again for our next game. It really is time (assuming he really is fit) to start subbing him on though. Ease him into a game. I should clarify, I feel the important games we have coming up are Ibrox and Parkhead. If Wallace is fit he must start those games for me. I am less concerned about him starting against Motherwell, R@ng*rs at home, Kilmarnock etc. I just think the width of the Glasgow grounds and everything surrounding their dominance both crowd wise and footballing wise, lends itself to us needing to have our best players available.

It's Jim Jefferies' job to put teams on the park to win games for Hearts. "Fairness" does not come in to it. If he thinks Lee Wallace will offer more than Pala (a no-brainer imo, dependent on sharpness) then of course he should and will play.

If we resigned Craig Gordon tomorrow, would it be "fair" for Kello to be our number 2? Ridiculous to even consider it and the gulf in class is similar above imo.

Pala does OK at LB - he's pretty steady but I think Zal playing at left sided CB helps him no end as he does still get caught out positionally (he was posted missing more than once 2nd half on Sat). He can whip a decent ball into the box too, but he doesn't really offer anything going forward which we know Lee does better than any LB in the league.

Imagine Lee overlapping Temps (or Novi) and taking defenders away from them and opening up more space...

I see what you are saying but disagree.

Whilst Jim Jefferies needs to win games, he also needs to keep a squad happy. For the avoidance of doubt, Lee Wallace is our best left back, I just think we should ease him back in, for the benefit of his fitness and keeping Palazuelos involved as he is playing well at the moment.

As a football player, you don't expect to be dropped when playing really well. Palazuelos will know that Wallace will come back in, but he will be hoping to put that off for a wee while.

Whilst Jim Jefferies needs to win games, he also needs to keep a squad happy. For the avoidance of doubt, Lee Wallace is our best left back, I just think we should ease him back in, for the benefit of his fitness and keeping Palazuelos involved as he is playing well at the moment.

As a football player, you don't expect to be dropped when playing really well. Palazuelos will know that Wallace will come back in, but he will be hoping to put that off for a wee while.

And therein lies the type of headache a manger loves!! I guess that's modern football and what having a good squad is all about.

Good times!!!!

rossthejambo

Sorry I just don't buy that Palazuelos isn't fully aware that when Wallace is fully fit again he'll be back out the team and challenging for a spot in the middle of the park. JJ will have made this clear to him from the outset.

Wallace is the best LB in the SPL and arguably the best Scottish LB at the moment. I can understand the reasoning behind the shouts for a transition but I don't agree with it. Would be silly going into big games without your best team on the park.

We've been doing fantastically well with the shape of the team played recently.

But there could be something to be said for Wallace coming back into the side in midfield rather than at the back. Would change the setup slightly and maybe make things a bit more difficult for opposition managers by giving Templeton and Rudi even more freedom - another string to our bow.

Kello

Jonsson-Bouzid-Zaliukas-Palazuelos

Black-Mrowiec-Wallace

Templeton-Skacel

Kyle

Archived