Over-confidence

Geoff Kilpatrick

I've not been shy to air my optimism for this game, which is quite unusual for me.

Pre-derby jitters are starting to kick-in now though, just because it would be a really shocking one to lose.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad Sexington

what matters is the attitude of the players and i'm sure they'll be confident without taking things for granted.

A lot of people almost seem to be suggesting that somehow the footballing gods will punish hearts fans for being confident - if i'm missing some rational, logical reason for this call to stifle our enthusiasm then i apologies.

Correct.

How confident anybody, other than the players, feels is totally irrelevant to the outcome of the match.

hibs and hearts regular win derbys when underdogs 4sum reason,thats why we have to be very carefull for over confidence

Nonsense. More often than not the derby goes with the form team.

I dont remember there being such a difference on paper between the two teams since New year 1973.

Even 2005/06 you looked at their team and they had some decent players who might have caused problems and they won a game against us that season as well.

Right now they've got one player who would even get a sniff at our first team, and even he would have to sit on the bench waiting for his chance and THEN play out of position.

I dont remember there being such a difference on paper between the two teams since New year 1973.

Even 2005/06 you looked at their team and they had some decent players who might have caused problems and they won a game against us that season as well.

Right now they've got one player who would even get a sniff at our first team, and even he would have to sit on the bench waiting for his chance and THEN play out of position.

I think there was a similar disparity on the NY day 1998.

They were rank rotten and we were flying (and 2-0 up in 10 mins) and failed to win.

Confidence going into a derby never seems to work.

I'm also wary of Zemmama coming back into the squad. I know my fellow Jambos will laugh at that last sentence but there is no doubting he is a quality player on his day and someone they've missed massively since his injury in February.

Also anything can happen in 90 minutes. Two months ago Hibs went to Ibrox and won 3-0 without Derek Riordan.

Of course we, the fans, can afford to be over-confident. Thankfully I have trust in JJ to drum it into the skull of the players not to underestimate our rivals.

If our top players are on form then we will annihalate them. :)

But if they park the bus and we cant break through, they could snatch something. :(

I hope skacel plays and puts them to the sword :)

Then.......... 'PREPARE TO ACTIVATE SMUG MODE!'

Snake Plissken

UNREPENTANT ARROGANCE.

barack-obama-arrogance.jpg

In the words of Muhammad Ali:

It aint braggin' if it's true.

Humping imminent.

I have a bad feeling about this derby... Never known our confidence to be this high and to be honest I don't like an over confident Hearts team and support - it always (nearly) ends in tears.

Regardless of Sat I firmly believe this current Hearts team is potentially one of the best (outside 98 and 06) I have witnessed when all fit and in their respective positions.

Hibs owe their fans a derby performance, after the spineless display in the last one. I expect them to put in maximum effort this time. Thankfully, I expect JJ to have our boys doing the same. If both teams put full effort in, it will be a close match, but I hope that our effort + quality + confidence will trump their effort. 2-1.

I have a bad feeling about this derby... Never known our confidence to be this high and to be honest I don't like an over confident Hearts team and support - it always (nearly) ends in tears.

Regardless of Sat I firmly believe this current Hearts team is potentially one of the best (outside 98 and 06) I have witnessed when all fit and in their respective positions.

Well if JJ fails to impart that to the players then he is surely worthy of the 'yesterdays man' label

I don't think he'll let us down though, and whilst severe roggerings are being predicted on here you have to remember

that this is the same messageboard where many fans pontificated that Adrian Mrowiec was "never a player" :whistling:

The lads are playing with a fair degree of confidence IN EACH OTHER which leads to a confident performance overall

More to the point, JJ played in the 0-7 game and he has NOT forgotten ;)

whilst severe roggerings are being predicted on here you have to remember

that this is the same messageboard where many fans pontificated that Adrian Mrowiec was "never a player" :whistling:

It's not the chaps predicting a hands down victory that said that Mrowiec was mince, though.

It's not the chaps predicting a hands down victory that said that Mrowiec was mince, though.

Prior to him getting a regular start there was no evidence that he was anything other than mince. Also I dont recall singing and dancing in the streets of Gorgie when he was signed so lets not pretend there was a JKB welcoming party who thought he was "the man" either. Thankfully he's upped his game significantly from the time he was first here and he's been great for us.

There IS evidence that Hearts are currently a significantly better team than Hibs. The evidence is in the league table and is supported anytime you watch either team playing just now. Just take a line through recent games by both teams against Aberdeen and you'll see how much better than Hibs we are.

If both teams play to their full powers, Hearts will win. If Hearts play to their full powers and Hibs dont then Hearts will win BIG. If Hearts dont turn up and Hibs play well, it might well be close and they might even steal it but there will have to be one hell of a turnaround in form and attitude for that to happen. I just cant see our management team permitting over confidence or a nonchalent approach. That is one thing you can guarantee from a JJ team in a derby.

Forget the fact that they play in the same town. This is a fairly decent Hearts team, near the top of the table, against one of the worst Hibs teams in the last 40 years. No one would be in the least concerned if we were playing Hamilton on Saturday and they arent much worse than Hibs

Everybody loves Baz

This :thumbsup:

Prior to him getting a regular start there was no evidence that he was anything other than mince. Also I dont recall singing and dancing in the streets of Gorgie when he was signed so lets not pretend there was a JKB welcoming party who thought he was "the man" either. Thankfully he's upped his game significantly from the time he was first here and he's been great for us.

No idea if there was or if there wasn't, squire - I was incredibly serving one of my rare suspensions at the time. Probably for telling off one of the world famous perma-frowns. thumbsup.gif

What I do know is fair few of the chaps on this thread personally, and all the ones allowing themselves a laugh and a cheeky multi-goal victory prediction are the sensible, measured type of Hearts supporter who know the game, make measured judgements and whose knees have normal jerk reflexes. The kind of chaps who knew Mrowiec was perfectly fine the first time round, and nowhere near as bad as the anti-fitba cognescenti - who presumably only wished he was a Lithuanian too - made out.

So, now that our little aside has been put to bed, I suggest we go back to the topic at hand.

Which, of course, is 9-0 Hearts.

need i remind any of us about a certain Thursday night in 2009 April time i think. Tynecastle with a weak hibs team and they won 1-0 with a pen and Karpedis sent off.

need i remind any of us about a certain Thursday night in 2009 April time i think. Tynecastle with a weak hibs team and they won 1-0 with a pen and Karpedis sent off.

No idea why we were so confident for that one, we were barely convincing in any match that season.

We're 10 x better than we were then and Hibs are alot worse.

No idea if there was or if there wasn't, squire - I was incredibly serving one of my rare suspensions at the time. Probably for telling off one of the world famous perma-frowns. thumbsup.gif

What I do know is fair few of the chaps on this thread personally, and all the ones allowing themselves a laugh and a cheeky multi-goal victory prediction are the sensible, measured type of Hearts supporter who know the game, make measured judgements and whose knees have normal jerk reflexes. The kind of chaps who knew Mrowiec was perfectly fine the first time round, and nowhere near as bad as the anti-fitba cognescenti - who presumably only wished he was a Lithuanian too - made out.

So, now that our little aside has been put to bed, I suggest we go back to the topic at hand.

Which, of course, is 9-0 Hearts.

I think we can agree that a big Hearts win is POSSIBLE, on the cards even. Its not a racing certainty by any means but I'll have some money on it just in case. :thumbsup:

I think we can agree that a big Hearts win is POSSIBLE, on the cards even. Its not a racing certainty by any means but I'll have some money on it just in case. :thumbsup:

Good lad.

jamborleystatto

Wrong. Care to note down these regular underdog victories? Especially away from home?

Only one I can think of from a Hearts point of view is the 1-0 defeat 2 seasons ago.

hibs won at tynie 3/0 xmas 99,and 1/0 here couple yeaer ago 1st game of season 1/0 when big underdogs

hibs won at tynie 3/0 xmas 99,and 1/0 here couple yeaer ago 1st game of season 1/0 when big underdogs

They weren't big underdogs on any of those occasions.

And even if they were, that's 3 times in 10 years. Hardly a regular occurence.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

I have been ridiculously confident all week up until about twenty minutes ago. The nerves have now well and truly taken over

Archived