Over-confidence

Geoff Kilpatrick

tommythejambo

I just realised earlier today, I've been to 15 derbies and seen Hearts lose once.

Not going on the 1st though.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't think my apprehension comes from thinking they can beat us or that they have a better team than us, cause lets face it, its not even close.

i will admit to feeling a bit more pressure than usual due simply to the fact that they have little extra to lose than bragging rights whereas if they were the ones to dent our recent good form the vermin will lord it over us for years to come as some heroic victory.

its 02/04/06 all over again we clearly have the better team but the stakes are undoubtedly raised. Unlike that day however the hibs fans and team have nothing to lose on this occasion and that makes them dangerous.

that said i think we have some good big game players in our team and i predict a nervy 2-1 victory.

Agree completely.

Also I remember the New Years Day 1998 game. We went in at the top end of the league whilst Hibs were bottom. 2 up after 10 minutes and we were all thinking we were going to put 5 or 6 past them. It ended up 2-2. Football can be a strange game.

That said if we play anywhere near to what we are capable of then we should win. I'm sure JJ will not allow complacency to set in especially with guys like Murray and Riordan who (as much as I can't stand them) will be at their very best against us.

I just realised earlier today, I've been to 15 derbies and seen Hearts lose once.

My first 30 odd they won only 4 times. Local rivals and nothing more.

The confidence levels of some people on the internet will have zero impact on the way Heart of Midlothian perform on Saturday.

I agree with this but we must be wrong. An Irishman that lives in Australia thinks that our confidence on this internet website will be a negative factor for the team.

Fans CAN influence performances one way or 'tother, but a positive reaction from the fans who are confident and full of voice can only help and not hinder. Seems we get a row for being both negative and positive, I thought that football was meant to have meaning and engage the support.

If we score first and relatively early, we will hammer them. If Skacel makes it, it is very possible that we could take away that last defence they have from the early seventies.

The team with the hunger, desire and passion will win the derby. I fully expect us to be that team. I have seen a few and that is always the case. JJ,BB and Lockey will not allow complacency. Mon the Hearts.

I am trying to be cautious, however feel if we play to our abilities we should walk it.

Got the feeling they will try kick us off the park on Saturday tho which is my main concern.

3-0 Jts :santa1:

Diadora Van Basten

I watched the highlights of Hibs v Aberdeen and Hibs were good going forward but their defending would have a pub team embarrassed.

I have no idea how the game will pan out but would feel a lot better if Rudi and Kello were playing.

If the derby goes badly then the wheels could come off big time as the next games four games are all very tricky.

Current form in the last 6 games

Hearts - Won 5, Drawn 1 - Goals For 14, Goals Against 2

Hibs - Won 1, Drawn 2, Lost 3 - Goals For 8, Goals Against 11

Lets launch these stats out the window and be shiteing ourselves going into Saturday.....:whistling:

Truth of the matter is that all this talk of "form going out the window in a derby" is, quite frankly, bollocks.

I can only think of once or twice in my lifetime that the form team hasn't come up trumps, especially at home.

Hearts 0 - 1 Hibs Riordan (P)

Hibs 0 - 1 Hearts Zaliukas

These are the only 2 that spring to mind. If people wish to prove me wrong then fire away but I think you'll all find it difficult to prove that the form book really does go out the window in a derby match. :thumbsup:

I hear what the OP is saying, but this is the first time in a long time we are going into a derby on a genuine high and with great expectation.

So you can`t expect some fans not to get overly excited.

Personally, i pride myself on quiet optimism and do the shouting if we get the result. Leave premature celebrations to the Hobos, thats their thing. But if you can`t join the level of anticipation this match brings then what`s the point of being a fan?

Once a few pints are down the throat in the boozer and a sing song is well underway then there`s no looking back! GET RIGHT INTO THE FLUCKERS.

Snake Plissken

Current form in the last 6 games

Hearts - Won 5, Drawn 1 - Goals For 14, Goals Against 2

Hibs - Won 1, Drawn 2, Lost 3 - Goals For 8, Goals Against 11

Lets launch these stats out the window and be shiteing ourselves going into Saturday.....:whistling:

Truth of the matter is that all this talk of "form going out the window in a derby" is, quite frankly, bollocks.

I can only think of once or twice in my lifetime that the form team hasn't come up trumps, especially at home.

Hearts 0 - 1 Hibs Riordan (P)

Hibs 0 - 1 Hearts Zaliukas

These are the only 2 that spring to mind. If people wish to prove me wrong then fire away but I think you'll all find it difficult to prove that the form book really does go out the window in a derby match. :thumbsup:

The cautious brigade (i.e the poofs) will probably mention the two defeats in 05/06.

But the whole 'form out the window' cliche only really applied to Hearts in the 1980s and 90s. Some are just desperate not to enjoy this current run of form.

The cautious brigade (i.e the poofs) will probably mention the two defeats in 05/06.

But the whole 'form out the window' cliche only really applied to Hearts in the 1980s and 90s. Some are just desperate not to enjoy this current run of form.

I thought about those games but they were away from home and Hibs weren't actually playing all that badly that season.

Hibs are rank rotten just now and we are flying. Anyone not confident about this game needs some serious help.

Worries me too.

Last season we were laughing at the hibs fans for being full of themselves.

Now we are at it.

A rubbish 1-0 win would do me on the first.

Derby's are rarely predictable.

Hope we are just profesional and do the business.

Then we can have a wee smirk and swally after the game.

Really uncomfortable with this cocky confidence that is around just now.

Press them all over the park,chase back, work hard.

Keep it simple.

That should do it.

The team with the hunger, desire and passion will win the derby. I fully expect us to be that team. I have seen a few and that is always the case. JJ,BB and Lockey will not allow complacency. Mon the Hearts.

I forgot discipline. They have none, especially if they conceed an early goal. If we keep ours and are committed then ability will out and we will win. Simples.

We might as well blast Beethoven through the sound system for 90 minutes as this is going to be the worst beating a bunch of Hobos have received since the opening scenes of Clockwork Orange.

Snake Plissken

We might as well blast Beethoven through the sound system for 90 minutes as this is going to be the worst beating a bunch of Hobos have received since the opening scenes of Clockwork Orange.

I would love it if the team came out to Flight of the Valkyries on Saturday.

:santa1:

I would love it if the team came out to Flight of the Valkyries on Saturday.

:santa1:

"I love the smell of Bovril in the morning..."

Have just said as much to my mate at work.

Anybody who is going about crowing "we'll do this, we'll do that, it could be 4-5-6 Nil" has clearly not been around the block a few times with Hearts.

Snake Plissken

Anybody who is going about crowing "we'll do this, we'll do that, it could be 4-5-6 Nil" has clearly not been around the block a few times with Hearts.

i-just-read-a-gay-post.jpg

I'm not liking this at all, people here seem to think we only have to turn up on the 1st and win.

It isn't that simple folks. Chill a little please!

I dont understand what you are asking? As if anything that is discussed on an internet forum has ANY impact on how the players perform on the day. Get a grip.

I'm not liking this at all, people here seem to think we only have to turn up on the 1st and win.

It isn't that simple folks. Chill a little please!

Feck it, we have nothing to fear from these tramps.

Again, let's have a team that goes out every week knowing they will win.

We do and we will and it is.

Take your pathetic caution, fashion it into a light bulb and shove it up your arse.

Cheers.

This.

A hundred times this.

I watched us put 4 past them three times in a season the last time I felt this confident.

:down:

OK - imagine the worst case scenario:

Half the Hearts first team are stricken by a virus, 6 youngsters drafted in to play, we get the referee from hell and get 2 red cards in the first 10 minutes - we're holding on for a well deserved draw when a mishit shot skites into the net off the ref's backside to give Hibs a win in the last second of play.....

.... AND HEY - THEY'VE CLOSED TO WITHIN 17 POINTS OF US

V

I watched us put 4 past them three times in a season the last time I felt this confident.

A season where we took 6 out of twelve points from them and were beaten 2-0 twice.

A season where we took 6 out of twelve points from them and were beaten 2-0 twice.

As said by myself above, this happened at Easter Road, not Tynecastle.

And it was 2-0 and 2-1 :whistling:

Sorry to be pedantic mate but it was 2-0 and then 2-1, Bednar scored for us in the second game at Easter Road.

The Hibs team we are up against on Saturday are are one of the worst in the league while we have been consistentely excellent over the last eight games.

We are miles better than them all over the park. In other words, if our boys turn up, as they have done in the last eight games, then we win.

I would be ever so slightly concerned about complaceny but the Killie game eradicated that imo.

As said by myself above, this happened at Easter Road, not Tynecastle.

And it was 2-0 and 2-1 :whistling:

Was just about to post the same. And this was against a Hibs team who put both of the OF out of the Big Cup for us. A team that both of the Old Firm, a Russian team and a decent English team were very keen to dismantle and put straight into their own first teams. Hibs had one of their best teams in my fantime that year and we humped them anytime we played them away from ER. We have our best team since that season. They may well have their worst.

We are going to do them.

Will they handle Kyle? No.

Will they handle Temps? No.

That wee s**** bag Rat Bhoy will do something horrific - either to try to get one of ours sent off, (I can see their defenders going down clutching their faces every time Kevin goes near them) or trying to cripple one of our players. (Although he would be unlikely to get off the pitch unscathed if he tries that **** at Tynecastle.

We have way too much for them. With Lee coming back into the team we should be able to field our best team of the season.

Dear Hobos,

You're pure getting it.

That is all.

I understand the caution that is being urged. As a child of the '70s I still - after all this time - approach derbies with a deep sense of unease. I hope JJ and his staff will be instilling the fear of God in the players between now and lunchtime on the 1st, using whatever methods it takes. What is required on Saturday is a hungry, mean-spirited and unquenchable determination to deliver the pasting of a lifetime to these losers.

But two days from now, all this will be forgotten once we've stuffed them.

:thumbsup:

Cardiac Rucksack

I understand the caution that is being urged. As a child of the '70s I still - after all this time - approach derbies with a deep sense of unease. I hope JJ and his staff will be instilling the fear of God in the players between now and lunchtime on the 1st, using whatever methods it takes. What is required on Saturday is a hungry, mean-spirited and unquenchable determination to deliver the pasting of a lifetime to these losers.

But two days from now, all this will be forgotten once we've stuffed them.

:thumbsup:

Lockie will make sure the boys know what is expected and our experienced boys like zal and kyle will make sure the boys know on the park. Im confident of victory because of this.

kingantti1874

The hobos will be right up for this and desperate to get a result, we shouldn't underestimate them - that said If we show the same or more effort than them our superior quality will count..

First goal will be crucial, if they get one they will just sit back and we could struggle, if we score first and they have to come out and play we will pummel them.

The People's Chimp

I agree with this but we must be wrong. An Irishman that lives in Australia thinks that our confidence on this internet website will be a negative factor for the team.

Fans CAN influence performances one way or 'tother, but a positive reaction from the fans who are confident and full of voice can only help and not hinder. Seems we get a row for being both negative and positive, I thought that football was meant to have meaning and engage the support.

If we score first and relatively early, we will hammer them. If Skacel makes it, it is very possible that we could take away that last defence they have from the early seventies.

:greatpost:

We do and we will and it is.

Take your pathetic caution, fashion it into a light bulb and shove it up your arse.

Cheers.

Unbelievable response to the OP who appears to be fairly spot on, bearing in mind some previous occassions when we did just "turn up" and expect a victory.

Absolutley nothing wrong with exercising a bit of caution against this.

I just hope that the above quote is not part of the team talk.

Blatent "I've no got a ticket and I'll say any old crap to get one" type post...

:teehee:

:smiliz64:

:whistling:

Commander Harris

what matters is the attitude of the players and i'm sure they'll be confident without taking things for granted.

A lot of people almost seem to be suggesting that somehow the footballing gods will punish hearts fans for being confident - if i'm missing some rational, logical reason for this call to stifle our enthusiasm then i apologies.

Unbelievable response to the OP who appears to be fairly spot on, bearing in mind some previous occassions when we did just "turn up" and expect a victory.

Absolutley nothing wrong with exercising a bit of caution against this.

I just hope that the above quote is not part of the team talk.

:smiliz23: You don't want us to go into this match confident? I hope JJ's building them up to hammer this shower of shi%% and show them up for the pathetic relegation bound side that they are.

4-0 Hearts.

Gorgie Rules.

Obviously Hibs could win on saturday, but the previous 610 games and 136 years of history tell us that we should be confident.

We are playing with purpose, hunger and desire and at many times flair.

Hibs are complete shite at all times.

If we turn up with the attitude and in the form we have shown over the last 6 weeks or so, there is only one team that can possibly win this game. Whether it is 1-0 or 7-0 (christ I wouldnt be home for a week if that happened) depends very much on how much stomach Hibs have got for it to start with, how long it takes us to get the first one, and how much stomach they have to limit the damage if it gets serious.

If we get 2 or 3 ahead fairly quickly, and I'm confident that we are CAPABLE of that, then washing away a very bad memory I have is certainly POSSIBLE.

ToadKiller Dog

If the players play with the right attitude and professionalism that the currently are doing we will win, Anyway you look at it given the two teams strenghs a hubs win would be a freak result.

jamborleystatto

On current form I was hoping for 10 nil. :thumbsup:

hibs and hearts regular win derbys when underdogs 4sum reason,thats why we have to be very carefull for over confidence

hibs and hearts regular win derbys when underdogs 4sum reason,thats why we have to be very carefull for over confidence

I typed it very quietly. :smiliz21:

Wrong. Care to note down these regular underdog victories? Especially away from home?

Only one I can think of from a Hearts point of view is the 1-0 defeat 2 seasons ago.

Archived