Trains or lack off

John Findlay

Well, that was a vague reply that didn't elaborate on much, nor explain why those tasks can't be done at other times of year if staggered. I'd suggest it can (possibly at increased labour cost), but the day off gives them the oportunity to do it cheaper now, that is all.

Some major items, like track remodelling and changing points, can't be staggered and a larger window means that there is less disruption. :smiliz23:

These train workers are getting a holiday just now. There have been loads of cancelled journeys over the last 4 weeks, have they not had enough time off, surely a good gesture would be to work free to make up for the freebies they have had recently.

No Taxi Driver will take the day off when they can basically charge what they want and people will be forced to pay it. If the public services were running then they wouldn't get any customers doing that.

Taxi drivers do not charge what they want, the tariff (rate of fare) is set by the council.

As for buses, are LRT buses running on New Years Day or not, and if so, how frequent? From previous experience of New Years day they don't.

Try looking on the website rather than bleating on FFS!!

The Treasurer

They are self employed and can chose whether to work or not, bus or train company employees are not and would have no real choice.

If someone takes a job knowing that the employer offers a service on these days then they must be prepared to maybe have to work then.

There are countless jobs that this is the case, Health Service, Police, Power Suppliers, Catering etc.

Transport (especially Public Transport) should also come into this category.

Sheriff Fatman

False.

Not false, ScotRail are running on Boxing Day and East Coast Mainline are running between on New Years Day and the 2nd, therefore the only day there are no trains is Christmas Day.

Sheriff Fatman

If someone takes a job knowing that the employer offers a service on these days then they must be prepared to maybe have to work then.

There are countless jobs that this is the case, Health Service, Police, Power Suppliers, Catering etc.

Transport (especially Public Transport) should also come into this category.

When I was working on the railway there was no service on the 1st or 2nd, that came a couple of years later. There are still plenty of staff left working on the railways who were there before me, according to you they don't have to be prepared to work.

Everything other job (apart from catering) is an emergency service. Transport is not an emergency service, it is a convenience service. Why should other people have to forgo traditional holidays just for your convenience. I don't think restaurants and pubs should have to open on those days either.

Not false, ScotRail are running on Boxing Day and East Coast Mainline are running between on New Years Day and the 2nd, therefore the only day there are no trains is Christmas Day.

no scotrail trains running out of waverley on boxing day

Sheriff Fatman

no scotrail trains running out of waverley on boxing day

My mistake, trust me for taking the National Rail Enquires word and not digging in deeper. SPT trains are running and ScotRail are classing that as them having a service. So that's two days when there are no trains through Edinburgh. Wow, how will the nation cope, I foresee national shortages.

Correct. These ASLEF/RMT Trotskyists should realise they are here to serve the public. If they don't want to work on a day there is significant demand for rail travel, then sack them and bring in people who are aware of the concepts of customer service and meeting customer needs.

Therapist. :verymad:

I take it someone in Thailand is aware of YOUR CUSTOMER NEEDS over the festive period. Not everyone who works in the railway is a member of a trade union.

My mistake, trust me for taking the National Rail Enquires word and not digging in deeper. SPT trains are running and ScotRail are classing that as them having a service. So that's two days when there are no trains through Edinburgh. Wow, how will the nation cope, I foresee national shortages.

So you were wrong then?

:verysmug:

Archived