Trains or lack off

John Findlay

To all travelling from outside Kilmarnock(tongue firmly in cheek) on boxing day and for those travelling from outside Edinburgh on N'erday. bear in mind there are no Scotrail train services on thoses days. I am having the day off on both ocassions.

John

To all travelling from outside Kilmarnock(tongue firmly in cheek) on boxing day and for those travelling from outside Edinburgh on N'erday. bear in mind there are no Scotrail train services on thoses days. I am having the day off on both ocassions.

John

Absolutely ridiculous that there are no trains on boxing day!

John

Are the trains off just because you are off John? :thumbsup:

Got my lift for the derby sorted. I think i will just drive to Rugby Park however.

Correct. These ASLEF/RMT Trotskyists should realise they are here to serve the public. If they don't want to work on a day there is significant demand for rail travel, then sack them and bring in people who are aware of the concepts of customer service and meeting customer needs.

Therapist. :verymad:

Have to agree with this. Can begrudgingly accept no service whatsoever on Christmas Day and New Years Day (even though the vast majority of other European countries will continue to provide something) but for there to not even be a restricted service on Boxing Day is shocking.

Correct. These ASLEF/RMT Trotskyists should realise they are here to serve the public. If they don't want to work on a day there is significant demand for rail travel, then sack them and bring in people who are aware of the concepts of customer service and meeting customer needs.

Quite sure The General will be able to help your travel needs on boxing day, you torn faced tart!

Quite sure The General will be able to help your travel needs on boxing day, you torn faced tart!

:smiliz21:

I'll be in Thailand. :rolleyes:

I am just trying to speak on behalf of my fellow Hearts fans, many of whom will be inconvenienced by the railmens' Victorian era labour practices.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I am just trying to speak on behalf of my fellow Hearts fans, many of whom will be inconvenienced by the railmens' Victorian era labour practices.

Where are you flying from Wally ??

Billy the Jambo

Folk are entitled to holidays .You are not the only 1 that can go on holiday

Folk are entitled to holidays .You are not the only 1 that can go on holiday

The whole ******* company doesn't need to all have the day off. reduced service would do.

I sometimes wish I still worked on the railways, good times if you knew how to play the system :thumbsup:

With current weather conditions I'll be seeing you on the bus :smiliz64:

Ah well, if you can only afford to go abroad in the off peak season, missing supporting your team is the price you pay eh ? :P

jt

Don't think it's off season in thailand at this time of the year to be honest.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

Sheriff Fatman

I demand that bankers, office workers, and all the other people who don't work on a Sunday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and all the Bank holidays should stop being so lazy and work all of them, after all they are all providing a service to somebody (oh aye, and no overtime as they are just another working day.

Don't think it's off season in thailand at this time of the year to be honest.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

It is for us that have holidays in the summer

jt

I demand that bankers, office workers, and all the other people who don't work on a Sunday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and all the Bank holidays should stop being so lazy and work all of them, after all they are all providing a service to somebody (oh aye, and no overtime as they are just another working day.

Yeah, perhaps we should give Policemen, Firemen, and hospital staff the time off as well? :smiliz23: I am sure they have families to spend time with.

Lets be honest, if you don't want to work in a job which is an essential service, get a job in a different company that doesn't serve the public.

The whole ******* company doesn't need to all have the day off. reduced service would do.

i dont think the whole company need to take days off but if the signalmen take the off your fecked

Sheriff Fatman

Yeah, perhaps we should give Policemen, Firemen, and hospital staff the time off as well? :smiliz23: I am sure they have families to spend time with.

Lets be honest, if you don't want to work in a job which is an essential service, get a job in a different company that doesn't serve the public.

Aye right travelling on a train on Boxing Day is essential, right enough.

Oh wait I forgot we are living in an 'I'm entitled' society were everyone thinks that their minor inconveniences are somehow actually important.

Sheriff Fatman

Personally I think we should go back to the days where pubs and clubs closed at 10 on Hogmanay and people had actual parties with their friends rather than piss ups with any stranger you are pissed enough to talk to.

Actually, it is. And ditto New Years Day.

I don't have a driving licence for medical reasons, and it's an absolute disgrace that there's no public transport (be that buses or trains) that allows people to travel to Edinburgh (or Glasgow or Stirling for that matter) on any of these days.

First Group in particular get a shed load of public money through Transport Scotland. It should be a mandatory requirement that they provide some kind of skelaton service on Boxing Day and New Years Day.

Sheriff Fatman

Actually, it is. And ditto New Years Day.

I don't have a driving licence for medical reasons, and it's an absolute disgrace that there's no public transport (be that buses or trains) that allows people to travel to Edinburgh (or Glasgow or Stirling for that matter) on any of these days.

First Group in particular get a shed load of public money through Transport Scotland. It should be a mandatory requirement that they provide some kind of skelaton service on Boxing Day and New Years Day.

There are some train on New Years Day between Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow and many stops in between. There are two days a year when no trains run, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I think you should have to work both those days as there might be a small minority of people who would find your work being open on those days useful, just as there is a small minority who would find the trains useful on those days.

There are some train on New Years Day between Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow and many stops in between. There are two days a year when no trains run, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I think you should have to work both those days as there might be a small minority of people who would find your work being open on those days useful, just as there is a small minority who would find the trains useful on those days.

I don't disagree with that. Perhaps my employers should have a staff in to provide a skeleton service. Public transit providers certainly should and do abroad.

Trouble is, if I was scheduled to work I couldn't get there.

Sheriff Fatman

I don't disagree with that. Perhaps my employers should have a staff in to provide a skeleton service. Public transit providers certainly should and do abroad.

Trouble is, if I was scheduled to work I couldn't get there.

You do what I used to do when I worked on Boxing Day and New Years Day, you get a taxi. If you have to get to work you find a way, but you don't insist that others have to work to make your life easier.

Oh wait I forgot we are living in an 'I'm entitled' society were everyone thinks that their minor inconveniences are somehow actually important.

Public transport should be functional on all days of the year. Staff should be on a rota to service those days, much the same as the emergency services staff are.

Boxing Day and New Years Day are days where there are events such as football matches and concerts for people to go to. For example, the Edinburgh - Glasgow rugby match is on at Murrayfield after the Edinburgh Derby, I believe.

Other people in the emergency services will have to go to work, and some people may have to commute to their jobs via public transport.

I feel that the unions have too much power in certain areas, and should not be allowed in public services such as transport, where they can disrupt other areas of the economy.

'I feel that the unions have too much power in certain areas, and should not be allowed in public services such as transport, where they can disrupt other areas of the economy.'

WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH -- what power ? (you are required to ballot before any strike -- it's called democracy)-- this has nothing to do with the power of the unions -- people have rights to be paid a fair wage for their labour and deserve decent terms and conditions -- try aiming your barbs at those members of the banking community and the shareholders who have led the world into a deep hole doing far more damage than any union could do.

'I feel that the unions have too much power in certain areas, and should not be allowed in public services such as transport, where they can disrupt other areas of the economy.'

WHAT A LOAD OF TOSH -- what power ? (you are required to ballot before any strike -- it's called democracy)-- this has nothing to do with the power of the unions -- people have rights to be paid a fair wage for their labour and deserve decent terms and conditions -- try aiming your barbs at those members of the banking community and the shareholders who have led the world into a deep hole doing far more damage than any union could do.

I don't believe they should have the right to strike, as they have to provide a service that the public depends on. In some cases it is the only way for people who don't own cars to get from A to B.

As for Bankers, well thats a different debate. I believe they should get their bonuses based on their share of the company profits e.g. if the company makes a loss they get sod all. As for the black hole we find ourselves in, that is largely the mismanagement of the Labour government, who failed to monitor the banking regulators they set up. However, this is very OT.

Its put a spanner in my works BIG TIME.

I live in Glasgow and was hoping to attend a warehouse party through here. I don't fancy running the risk of driving still pished on the 1st through to the capital for a 12.30 K/O.

Might now need to reconsider my hogmany plans and instead stay at a mates in the capital and endure the tourist fest that is Edinburgh on hogmany :verymad:

With current weather conditions I'll be seeing you on the bus :smiliz64:

I beat the volcano disruption and I beat last year's Xmas weather disruption. I'm going for the hat trick, so don't count on seeing me on the bus. :smoking:

Sheriff Fatman
Boxing Day and New Years Day are days where there are events such as football matches and concerts for people to go to. For example, the Edinburgh - Glasgow rugby match is on at Murrayfield after the Edinburgh Derby, I believe.

Other people in the emergency services will have to go to work, and some people may have to commute to their jobs via public transport.

Much as you seem to believe it, getting to a football or a rugby match isn't anywhere close to being an emergency, it's a luxury.

The Treasurer

You do what I used to do when I worked on Boxing Day and New Years Day, you get a taxi. If you have to get to work you find a way, but you don't insist that others have to work to make your life easier.

I take it taxi you don't include taxi drivers in your statement just in case you want to go somewhere.

Much as you seem to believe it, getting to a football or a rugby match isn't anywhere close to being an emergency, it's a luxury.

I never claimed that Football matches were an emergency, but I did say that a conservative estimate of 30,000+ people need to travel to/from events in Edinburgh on New Years Day. You would expect those events to be serviced on every other day of the year, so why the exception?

No, but other people have to work on those days. Are you suggesting people from Fife and satellite towns all get taxis to and from Edinburgh because

Perhaps taxi drivers should also get the day off to be with their families. I think its unfair to expect them to cover for a public service that should be running.

portobellojambo1

I work for the same company as blairdin SF (different area of the business), and on returning to work after the Christmas holidays two years ago I had to deal with a case raised by an IFA who works from home, and worked Christmas Day. He thought it was fecking disgraceful that our company gave the staff Christmas Day off, and nobody was there to help him when he was working". I was unable to reply to the ersehole using the wording I wanted to use, and had to tone it down mega substantially to meet the requirements of tone of voice.

People are entitled to holidays, and if company policy is that all staff are off on any given day, so be it.

Sheriff Fatman

I take it taxi you don't include taxi drivers in your statement just in case you want to go somewhere.

They are self employed and can chose whether to work or not, bus or train company employees are not and would have no real choice.

Sheriff Fatman

I never claimed that Football matches were an emergency, but I did say that a conservative estimate of 30,000+ people need to travel to/from events in Edinburgh on New Years Day. You would expect those events to be serviced on every other day of the year, so why the exception?

No, but other people have to work on those days. Are you suggesting people from Fife and satellite towns all get taxis to and from Edinburgh because

Perhaps taxi drivers should also get the day off to be with their families. I think its unfair to expect them to cover for a public service that should be running.

I think the expression 'other people in the emergency services' tends to show that you think bus drivers and train drivers are emergency workers, and you used football and rugby as a reason why they should work.

If taxi driver want the day off they can take it, train drivers and bus drivers wouldn't have any choice if you had your way. Taxi drivers can charge much higher rates on those days, maybe train and bus prices should double too.

Sheriff Fatman

I work for the same company as blairdin SF (different area of the business), and on returning to work after the Christmas holidays two years ago I had to deal with a case raised by an IFA who works from home, and worked Christmas Day. He thought it was fecking disgraceful that our company gave the staff Christmas Day off, and nobody was there to help him when he was working". I was unable to reply to the ersehole using the wording I wanted to use, and had to tone it down mega substantially to meet the requirements of tone of voice.

People are entitled to holidays, and if company policy is that all staff are off on any given day, so be it.

That was kind of my point, so be it for bus drivers and train drivers too.

I have worked Christmas Day occasionally, and Boxing Day and New Years fairly regularly, but that was my choice and I found ways to get to my work without demanding that others had to give up their holiday for my convenience. I include taxi drivers in that, the times I couldn't get a taxi I didn't complain about them taking holidays, I just found another way to get to work.

They are self employed and can chose whether to work or not, bus or train company employees are not and would have no real choice.

Your arguments make me really angry! What world do you live in?

Sheriff Fatman

Your arguments make me really angry! What world do you live in?

Aw diddums, and the real world where not everything is there just to make my life easier and other people are allowed to have choices.

I think the expression 'other people in the emergency services' tends to show that you think bus drivers and train drivers are emergency workers, and you used football and rugby as a reason why they should work.

And yet again you have not answered my point several posts up that emergency workers to staff hospitals may need to travel to work by public transport.

My point about the Football and Rugby is that there is a DEMAND for the public services to be provided, and I gave a conservative estimate. In my opinion the management should be making the decision to rota staff for services, possibly on double time.

Some organisations need to be modernised, and are living in the past.

If taxi driver want the day off they can take it, train drivers and bus drivers wouldn't have any choice if you had your way. Taxi drivers can charge much higher rates on those days, maybe train and bus prices should double too.

No Taxi Driver will take the day off when they can basically charge what they want and people will be forced to pay it. If the public services were running then they wouldn't get any customers doing that.

Sheriff Fatman

And yet again you have not answered my point several posts up that emergency workers to staff hospitals may need to travel to work by public transport.

My point about the Football and Rugby is that there is a DEMAND for the public services to be provided, and I gave a conservative estimate. In my opinion the management should be making the decision to rota staff for services, possibly on double time.

Some organisations need to be modernised, and are living in the past.

No Taxi Driver will take the day off when they can basically charge what they want and people will be forced to pay it. If the public services were running then they wouldn't get any customers doing that.

Plenty of taxi driver do take the day off, and it is right that they should have the choice. Plenty of emergency service workers do take the day off, and it is right that they should be able to. If you had your way bus drivers and train drivers wouldn't be allowed to have a choice, all so you can go to a football game.

Sergio Garcia

I just had a look at the trainline website and it seems they are still showing trains as running on Boxing Day Lanark to Glasgow then onwards to Killie and the return.

So are they running or not?

Plenty of taxi driver do take the day off, and it is right that they should have the choice. Plenty of emergency service workers do take the day off, and it is right that they should be able to. If you had your way bus drivers and train drivers wouldn't be allowed to have a choice, all so you can go to a football game.

No, I already said that public transport workers should be on a rota system, with extra pay for special public holidays like Xmas day and New Years Day. Boxing Day is a lesser public holiday.

If I had my way, Bus and Train Drivers would have a choice whether to work on those days or do a swap with colleagues who want to. If not enough people volunteered, it would then become mandatory.

There should be a reduced, but adequate service for all public holidays. If you disagree, then perhaps you should tell the SPL and SRU to move our games to non public holidays, and cancel the concerts in Princes St Gardens. What is the point having events organised without the transport to get there?

You keep harping on about the rights of bus and train drivers and say that people only want to travel on those days for entertainment reasons. I've mentioned a number of times that public transport is used for a variety of reasons.

What about the people who have to work on those holidays who are too far away for a reasonable taxi fare? To sum up your argument, you are stating that Bus and Train Drivers perform a non-essential service that we should be able to do without any time of the year. I'm sure that will help the anti-drink driving cause, and must therefore mean that everyone should have a car, and to hell with drink drive laws! :rolleyes:

No, I already said that public transport workers should be on a rota system, with extra pay for special public holidays like Xmas day and New Years Day. Boxing Day is a lesser public holiday.

If I had my way, Bus and Train Drivers would have a choice whether to work on those days or do a swap with colleagues who want to. If not enough people volunteered, it would then become mandatory.

There should be a reduced, but adequate service for all public holidays. If you disagree, then perhaps you should tell the SPL and SRU to move our games to non public holidays, and cancel the concerts in Princes St Gardens. What is the point having events organised without the transport to get there?

You keep harping on about the rights of bus and train drivers and say that people only want to travel on those days for entertainment reasons. I've mentioned a number of times that public transport is used for a variety of reasons.

What about the people who have to work on those holidays who are too far away for a reasonable taxi fare? To sum up your argument, you are stating that Bus and Train Drivers perform a non-essential service that we should be able to do without any time of the year. I'm sure that will help the anti-drink driving cause, and must therefore mean that everyone should have a car, and to hell with drink drive laws! :rolleyes:

Plenty railway workers do work these days carrying out essential maintenance and repairs when the railway is shut for a day or 2. Without that long closure period such maintenance would be extremely difficult. :santa:

Sheriff Fatman

I really think you need to look at the various bus and rail companies web sites. The buses are running every day, and the only day when there are no trains running between the major cities is Christmas Day and plenty of stops in-between. It always does help to look up facts before you go off on rants about lazy public service workers shutting down the emergency services that are the buses and trains.

As to taxis for those who are too far away, what you do is you get together with other people at your work and arrange it so that taxis pick up as many people as possible, splitting the cost quite considerably.

I really think you need to look at the various bus and rail companies web sites. The buses are running every day, and the only day when there are no trains running between the major cities is Christmas Day and plenty of stops in-between. It always does help to look up facts before you go off on rants about lazy public service workers shutting down the emergency services that are the buses and trains.

I don't need to as I'm not going anywhere other than the football, and wasn't planning on using the train, but see the point of those that need to. Public transport is for the public, not just something to keep the employees occupied.

As for buses, are LRT buses running on New Years Day or not, and if so, how frequent? From previous experience of New Years day they don't.

As to taxis for those who are too far away, what you do is you get together with other people at your work and arrange it so that taxis pick up as many people as possible, splitting the cost quite considerably.

Its a big assumption that people who work together live near each other. The further out of town you are the less likely that will be.

Plenty railway workers do work these days carrying out essential maintenance and repairs when the railway is shut for a day or 2. Without that long closure period such maintenance would be extremely difficult. :santa:

I'm sure those three public holidays around Christmas and New Year mean no maintenance is required for the other 51 weeks of the year.

Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

I'm sure those three public holidays around Christmas and New Year mean no maintenance is required for the other 51 weeks of the year.

Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

Nope, but some things need longer than just overnight and doing it then saves disruption at other busier times.

Hope this helps clarify matters. :santa:

Nope, but some things need longer than just overnight and doing it then saves disruption at other busier times.

Hope this helps clarify matters. :santa:

Well, that was a vague reply that didn't elaborate on much, nor explain why those tasks can't be done at other times of year if staggered. I'd suggest it can (possibly at increased labour cost), but the day off gives them the oportunity to do it cheaper now, that is all.

Archived