Legal drinking age to be raised?

grumpyjambo

Excellent ideas. Hopefully some of our politicians will read this thread and take note of the ideas. They need some radical ideas rather than the mainstream namby pamby nonsense they usually come up with.

Taking your excellent idea further, I would:

1. Impose 3 years national service for all school leavers, college/university graduates/drop-outs.

2. Give them daily drug and alcohol tests. Anyone caught with such stuff in their systems would be imprisoned for a period of one month which is also added on to the length of their national service. If they wanted to, they could trade this for three months community service in an islamic or poor African country so the locals can see that British people are not all bad.

God, you sound like a pretty bitter guy IMO. Did you not have a very good youth so you don't want anyone else to?

I'm seriously hoping that the Therapist is ripping the pash on this thread.

If anyone seriously thinks that reducing the legal age for drinking is the solution to this country's drinking problems then they are off their heids.

People will always drink under age. We did it and our kids will do it. Stop the production and sale of stupidly high alcoholic drinks would help but to raise the age would simply encourage more illegal and uncontrolled drinking and even worse more drug taking which is already a bigger concern for parents.

Good man. I am a big fan myself. I am not a big metal fan but there is something unusually great about these German nuts. I buy all of their albums and DVDs. :)

How ironic:

"In September 2007 the band found their music being used as the soundtrack to videos produced by an Israeli Neo-Nazi organization."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rammstein

jambo walesy

They should rename our country "The United States of Great Britain" why do we feel the need to do what they do.

It's an absolute joke if this law is passed imo.

The United States of the United Kingdom should cover it.

Yip but that's not what he said.

Besides I completely disagree with his point anyway. ;)

jambo walesy
Yip but that's not what he said.

Besides I completely disagree with his point anyway. ;)

I always get the whole United Kingdom and Great Britain thing mixed up, i apologise :P

I always get the whole United Kingdom and Great Britain thing mixed up, i apologise :P

No problem you will remember the next time .... hopefully.

CompleteIdiot
How ironic:

"In September 2007 the band found their music being used as the soundtrack to videos produced by an Israeli Neo-Nazi organization."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rammstein

If you think Rammstein are Nazis simply because, in your mind, everything German is Nazi. That makes you small minded, not me.

Ask Richard Z. Kruspe Bernstein.

Then again, you probably see nothing ironic in there being an Israeli Neo-Nazi organisation (WTF?). Incidentally, I told you all about the Israeli Neo-Nazis two years before it hit mainstream - right here on Kickback!

Being PC forces you behind the loop. Wake up from your slumber.

If you think Rammstein are Nazis simply because, in your mind, everything German is Nazi. That makes you small minded, not me.

Ask Richard Z. Kruspe Bernstein.

Then again, you probably see nothing ironic in there being an Israeli Neo-Nazi organisation (WTF?). Incidentally, I told you all about the Israeli Neo-Nazis two years before it hit mainstream - right here on Kickback!

Being PC forces you behind the loop. Wake up from your slumber.

How defensive and how paranoid was that last posting.

Kinda under you skin ......... :P

CompleteIdiot
How defensive and how paranoid was that last posting.

Kinda under you skin ......... :P

When someone suggests you are a Nazi while you have a half Jewish wife, yes I take umbrage.

You are paranoid - always looking for that elusive nasty un-PC person you can criticise and villify. Unfortunately, you seem to find these qualities in everyone. That's because no one is perfect.

Matthew 7:1: Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

When someone suggests you are a Nazi while you have a half Jewish wife, yes I take umbrage.

You are paranoid - always looking for that elusive nasty un-PC person you can criticise and villify. Unfortunately, you seem to find these qualities in everyone. That's because no one is perfect.

Matthew 7:1: Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

Who suggested you are a nazi??????

My irony was not with that.

(that said whenever anyone disagrees with you on certain subjects you label them a nazi .... again how ironic) please note my use of non capitals.

You are now quoting religious quotes when you have already said you not religious ........ oh dear (... considering the religious quote; its a double ..... oh dear).

Back to my original point ..... ohhhhhhh the irony.

Good on you Bob. You only live once.

PS I have heard that alcohol consumption can lead to hair loss

Check my avatar therein lies the proof of your statement;)

What an excellent idea. We could also just take every publican outside and shoot them in the head. No one to sell alcohol means no drunks, right? Is this government just trying to wreck lives?

Thousands and thousands of publicans run responsible businesses. Raising the drinking age would cost, hell, I don't even want to think how much money (and taxes) would be lost by this.

Somebody said raise the punishment for irresponsible publicans, those who continue to serve people who are blinding drunk. That is what should be happening.

That and hammering off-licences who sell to kids. These are the places that are causing the damage.

Just as no responsible drinking 18 year old should be punished for the antics of some neds, why should responsible publicans be hit for those who don't care who they sell booze to?

Complete and utter joke of an idea.

If people want a good idea of how to sort out problem youths and help create more socially well-adjusted youngsters, look to Germany.

All men have a choice at 18. Either join the army for National Service for 9 months to learn some discipline or volunteer to help a community project (old folks home, special needs schools etc) for a year. The National Service, as said, instills discipline or the volunteer work, for those who may object to army life for moral reasons, helps people understand there's a lot of people worse off than them.

A fantastic idea that should be introduced here as soon as possible.

Unfortunately the well behave minority of young adults will have to suffer due to the unacceptable behaviour of the majority.

If I were in the government, here's is what I'd do.

1. Issue an official ID chip-and-pin type card linked to an alcohol purchasing scheme.

2. Alcohol can only be purchased on production of the card.

3. Set purchasing limits grouped by age.

18 year olds - 1 unit of alcohol per week

19 year olds - 1.5 units

20 - 21 year olds - 3 units

21 - 25 year olds - 8 units

25+ - unlimited.

Job done. :)

Sure even doctors recommend you drink more than that.

You are a total wind-up merchant but I'll bite.

This new rule is a joke.

Fags should only be sold in off-licenses and the same goes for alcohol.

Over-21's only.

It is not about spoiling anyones fun but doing what is best for the youths.

This new rule is a joke.

Over-21's only.

You would also support a raise in the minimum age for marriage and for service in the armed forces then I assume?

You would also support a raise in the minimum age for marriage and for service in the armed forces then I assume?

No. I don't see the connection. If the youths are happy to get married or join the army then it shows they are happy to take on responsabilities, that is a good thing and I'm sure they can wait a few years for a drink and a fag.

I would say that it might be worth thinking about putting up the age to over-21's for driving.

No. I don't see the connection. If the youths are happy to get married or join the army then it shows they are happy to take on responsabilities, that is a good thing and I'm sure they can wait a few years for a drink and a fag.

I would say that it might be worth thinking about putting up the age to over-21's for driving.

You don't see the connection between four issues of personal choice and responsibility?

CompleteIdiot

This new rule is a joke.

Over-21's only.

So you want to make it easier to score cocaine and heroin than booze or fags?

I'd support that. There are far too many reckless and dangerous boy-racers on the road with their crappy tarted-up Novas, Saxos and Puntos. Raise the minimum age for the test to 21 then have a 3 year probation period where 6 points means disqualification for 5 years.

If anyone needs proof that drastic action is needed check the speed camera thread that was on here the other day where the youthful OP seemed to think it was fine to break the speed limit in built up areas. :sad:

CompleteIdiot
I'd support that. There are far too many reckless and dangerous boy-racers on the road with their crappy tarted-up Novas, Saxos and Puntos. Raise the minimum age for the test to 21 then have a 3 year probation period where 6 points means disqualification for 5 years.

If anyone needs proof that drastic action is needed check the speed camera thread that was on here the other day where the youthful OP seemed to think it was fine to break the speed limit in built up areas. :sad:

I had an HGV licence when I was 21. I could drive a 44 tonne truck responsibly.

Your ridiculous ideas are going to have a terrible effect on rural communities. Are you really going to isolate people that live in the middle of nowhere until they are 21?

If people want a good idea of how to sort out problem youths and help create more socially well-adjusted youngsters, look to Germany.

So many jokes, so little time.

Heh heh!

Our German friends have changed a little bit in the last 60 years. Let's just say the nation as a whole has a little bit of a guilt complex. They're doing everything possible to make sure past mistakes won't be repeated.

And with stereotypical German efficiency, they're pretty bloody good at it.

tommythejambo
Excellent ideas. Hopefully some of our politicians will read this thread and take note of the ideas. They need some radical ideas rather than the mainstream namby pamby nonsense they usually come up with.

Taking your excellent idea further, I would:

1. Impose 3 years national service for all school leavers, college/university graduates/drop-outs.

2. Give them daily drug and alcohol tests. Anyone caught with such stuff in their systems would be imprisoned for a period of one month which is also added on to the length of their national service. If they wanted to, they could trade this for three months community service in an islamic or poor African country so the locals can see that British people are not all bad.

Got to be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard!!!

Why send someone e.g. A newly qualified doctor, to the army for 3 years, most likely not plying his trade at all, let him forget the ins and outs of it and come out totally inept?

If you ask me. The ideas suggested by Therapist etc. would work but are just ****ing stupid!!! They would cost ridiculous amounts of money to police and would probably see more drinking at houseparties etc.

Would also inevitably increase drug use. E.g. Coke and Ecstasy.

Why send someone e.g. A newly qualified doctor, to the army for 3 years, most likely not plying his trade at all,

Royal Army Medical Corps. :rolleyes:

doctor jambo

THe problem is not with drinking but the way we drink

And adults are setting no good example here- neither are politicians

If adults cannot be responsible wiht alcohol why should youths?

Scotland has terrible rates for alcohol mortality- these are not the young

Alcohol is too cheap and too readily available in our communities

I know as many adults who spend their time getting mashed as I do the younger generation

So who are we to judge?

John Findlay

When it comes to alcohol the best bit of advice I was ever given was.

You rule drink, don't let it rule you.

Until the age of 22 the advice hadnt sunk in but I was in Gibraltar and I awoke at 5:30am one morning to find myself lying in the gutter and lying in a pile of dog mess to boot. That morning the advice did sink in.

I have been drunk since then but I have always remembered everything since.

Raising the age wont make a jot of difference to drunkeness in this country.

Education with regards to alcohol from a very early age would.

That education should start in the home but alas there are to many homes nowadays were the parent(s) are not capable of giving the education required.

John

Seems like the majority of people opposed to this proposal fall into the age group most affected.

Personally, I'm fed up of seeing p*ssed up teenagers in my local park every Friday/Saturday night, being a nuisance. Coupled with the fact that nightclubs are becoming more and more like school discos, it's really getting tedious. The ease of getting alcohol these days makes it easier for someone at the age of 15/16 to get plastered every weekend. Raising the age to 21 would make it harder for them to gain access IMO.

Although you'd get 18-21 year olds doing what 16-18's do now, chances are that between 18 and 21, you've matured enough to handle drink.

In all honesty, how would you feel about your 16/17 year old going to Stereo, City, Cav, etc, to be surrounded by people who are much older than they are, who are probably steaming and will be looking to pull. I know I wouldn't be happy.

doctor jambo
Seems like the majority of people opposed to this proposal fall into the age group most affected.

Personally, I'm fed up of seeing p*ssed up teenagers in my local park every Friday/Saturday night, being a nuisance. Coupled with the fact that nightclubs are becoming more and more like school discos, it's really getting tedious. The ease of getting alcohol these days makes it easier for someone at the age of 15/16 to get plastered every weekend. Raising the age to 21 would make it harder for them to gain access IMO.

Although you'd get 18-21 year olds doing what 16-18's do now, chances are that between 18 and 21, you've matured enough to handle drink.

In all honesty, how would you feel about your 16/17 year old going to Stereo, City, Cav, etc, to be surrounded by people who are much older than they are, who are probably steaming and will be looking to pull. I know I wouldn't be happy.

Frankly I would have to ask you why you are hanging around your local park on a Friday/Saturday night to notice the teenagers

And if you dont know where your 16-17 year old is, I dont see why you would be unhappy if they were in a club, as you have clearly lost the discipline battle there

Most of the prohibitionists on here probably forgot what they were like at that age and were doing

and are, frankly, hypocrites

And Eck, it is patently obvious that adults in this country have not matured enough to have an adult relationship with drink- hence our rates of liver disease, or even the "drunkest you have been" thread

These aren't kids- they are adults and ,ahem, role models

Frankly I would have to ask you why you are hanging around your local park on a Friday/Saturday night to notice the teenagers

And if you dont know where your 16-17 year old is, I dont see why you would be unhappy if they were in a club, as you have clearly lost the discipline battle there

Most of the prohibitionists on here probably forgot what they were like at that age and were doing

And Eck, it is patently obvious that adults in this country have not matured enough to have an adult relationship with drink- hence our rates of liver disease, or even the "drunkest you have been" thread

These aren't kids- they are adults and ,ahem, role models

A) I'm 21 and don't have kids, I was asking those out there who have children.

B) I don't 'hang' around my local park on a Saturday night, but in a small place like this, it's obvious what's going on as everyone knows everyone else's business.

C) At 17, I wasn't out getting blasted. I spent my time playing football with my friends and just generally hanging out.

D) I still don't want to be in a club at 21 and feel like I'm the oldest there.

I've not forgotten, which is why I'm a prohibitionist. :sad:

That education should start in the home but alas there are to many homes nowadays were the parent(s) are not capable of giving the education required.

John

That is a fair point. Some complete idiots, no doubt, feed their kids drink and fags cause that's what they do in Europe.

That is a fair point. Some complete idiots, no doubt, feed their kids drink and fags cause that's what they do in Europe.

In order to troll as effectively as Therapist takes some level of intelligence. You don't have it. Just give up.

It's cringeworthy watching you post absolute drivel then imagining you snickering to yourself that somebody will take the bait.

Archived