Legal drinking age to be raised?

grumpyjambo

How absurd! Yet more Americanization of our beloved country. We should go down the route of the Europeans in my opinion; France, Italy, Spain. Forbidding people to drink, who would be allowed to vote etc. Would cause an outcry. All thats going to happen if we do this is seeing more 18, 19 , 20 year olds drinking in the streets or at house partys all over the city. Which in turn will cause yet more streching of the police resources. Let young ones have access to Alcohol at a younger age. Teach them to drink in moderation. If we put it upto 21 all thats going to happen is you will see 22, 23 year olds up town acting like 18 year olds do. Fecking joke. Whatever next, not being able to vote until your 60?

davemclaren
Why is it a good idea? Are you the kind of person that thinks the government should be allowed to put a CCTV camera in your bathroom?

"Please control me! I want to be a slave!"

If you've got nothing to hide.... ;)

Mac_fae_Gillie

Fact is people have the ability to buy more drink...

That is our problem.

When I turned 18(in 86)i only had enuff money to afford 1night on a bender or 2nights out but counting the pennies.I.E. 5pints if i was lucky.

2nd point is youngsters are not the only people who create trouble through drink.

People my age (40)or older mainly men who are single are the worst they got loads of money and no responsibility,TVs crap the girls in town are sexy so they go out and try to be 20again.

Western Europe has nothing like our issues on drink that is where to find solutions not the usa.

How absurd! Yet more Americanization of our beloved country. We should go down the route of the Europeans in my opinion; France, Italy, Spain. Forbidding people to drink, who would be allowed to vote etc. Would cause an outcry. All thats going to happen if we do this is seeing more 18, 19 , 20 year olds drinking in the streets or at house partys all over the city. Which in turn will cause yet more streching of the police resources. Let young ones have access to Alcohol at a younger age. Teach them to drink in moderation. If we put it upto 21 all thats going to happen is you will see 22, 23 year olds up town acting like 18 year olds do. Fecking joke. Whatever next, not being able to vote until your 60?

FFS....I agree with Bob:sad:

All Shona Robison is really saying though is that they have not ruled anything out. You could turn this on it's head and say, it could be lowered.

CompleteIdiot
Fact is people have the ability to buy more drink...

That is our problem.

When I turned 18(in 86)i only had enuff money to afford 1night on a bender or 2nights out but counting the pennies.I.E. 5pints if i was lucky.

2nd point is youngsters are not the only people who create trouble through drink.

People my age (40)or older mainly men who are single are the worst they got loads of money and no responsibility,TVs crap the girls in town are sexy so they go out and try to be 20again.

Western Europe has nothing like our issues on drink that is where to find solutions not the usa.

Good point - especially given that the US drinking age was due to drink driving and not rowdy behaviour or binge drinking.

Romanov Stole My Pension

I think it's ridiculous that people have to wait until 18. I'm not long 18 and just found it ridiculous that I was 17, at university, paying taxes with my part-time job, completely independent and responsible but couldn't officially drink. 21 would be completely ridiculous. If 20 year olds aren't responsible enough to drink alcohol then next they'll be told they can't vote, should have to stay with their parents until 21, should stay in school etc. It'd completely undermine our position in society.

Have a problem with some of these types of regulation. I know from personal experience that if you want booze you can get it at any age.. It was a bit of a contradiction to me that as a 17 year old soldier I could be taught to kill but couldn't buy a beer legally.

The one thing I would disagree with is the poster who suggests that the earlier you start drinking the smarter you get in doing it. I am 73 and was 15 when I had my first pint in the Shakespeare on Lothian Road, but there are times when I have had a few that I am no better behaved than I was when I was 15.

The one thing I would disagree with is the poster who suggests that the earlier you start drinking the smarter you get in doing it. I am 73 and was 15 when I had my first pint in the Shakespeare on Lothian Road, but there are times when I have had a few that I am no better behaved than I was when I was 15.

Bet it happens far less frequently.

FFS....I agree with Bob:sad:

All Shona Robison is really saying though is that they have not ruled anything out. You could turn this on it's head and say, it could be lowered.

Go get a check up. ASAP.

I think raising the drinking age is a great idea, but it should be coupled with punitive tax increases on alcohol. I would happily pay more for my McEwans Export and sauvignon blanc if it means keeping peshed up neds off the streets and drink-fuelled violent thugs out of our pubs.

I think raising the drinking age is a great idea, but it should be coupled with punitive tax increases on alcohol. I would happily pay more for my McEwans Export and sauvignon blanc if it means keeping peshed up neds off the streets and drink-fuelled violent thugs out of our pubs.

And you thinking that is seriously going to stop it? Head out of the clouds time.:rolleyes:

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Drinking's too easy nowadays

Alcopops, shooters and cheap superstrength cider and the likes are to blame. These drinks have no other purpose other than to get you off your face as easily and quickly as possible.

In the early eighties and before, you had to learn to drink, cider then lager then special then heavy etc etc

These days getting rat arsed is as easy as opening a can of pop

Tax hell out of the kiddy drinks and you'd go along way to solving the problem

Romanov Stole My Pension
Drinking's too easy nowadays

Alcopops, shooters and cheap superstrength cider and the likes are to blame. These drinks have no other purpose other than to get you off your face as easily and quickly as possible.

In the early eighties and before, you had to learn to drink, cider then lager then special then heavy etc etc

These days getting rat arsed is as easy as opening a can of pop

Tax hell out of the kiddy drinks and you'd go along way to solving the problem

Gotta agree with you. I'm a student so funds are tight, but we just buy bottles of Frosty Jacks 7.5% cider. Tastes absolutely boggin, but a 3 litre bottle of that (?2.50) and a can of Kestrel super and i'm pretty fecked.

As being 18 myself, being a regular up town go'er I have never caused a bit of trouble in any way, regards to the post above I have met many neds as well as "drink fuelled lunatics" of ALL ages.

We all have to put up with these idiots not just you my friend. Do you really think putting the age up would solve that problem?

I for one do not think I should suffer for other people's irresponsible behaviour and the unhealthy amout some people consume.

One day it will be law that you have to eat you're 5 fruit and veg a day, CCTV cameras in our home, our very own tags attached to our ankle's, our cars restricted to 70 mph, maximum of 2 units of alchol a day, not allowed to listen to (so called) aggressive music, violent computer games, Pay an excessive amount for ridiculous trams witch will create congestion, oops we are all ready doing that one.:)

There was a good article in one of the dailies down here a few weeks ago. An owner of boozer in Cheshire said that teenagers got an unfair press as in her experience it was gangs of men aged 25-35 that caused most of the trouble/were most troublesome customers.

Living in a small town (and managing the local u18 footie team) I see and know a lot of teenagers who are not yet 18 in pubs. ironically , they are probably the best behaved as they can't get peshed up and draw attention to themselves for obvious reasons. They tend to keep themselves to themselves and stay out of the way.

Personally I'd like to see the cops stop whineging and actually take some positive action like arresting people as soon as they leave a boozer when clearly they are totally plastered. Also , when was the lst time a pub owner got done for selling booze to a punter who was well gone.

Time to go back to the Victorian era : persistent trouble makers/drunks could be banned from all pubs. A landlord who sold them alcohol could face bankruptcy , such were the fines for selling to banned punters.

Do you really think putting the age up would solve that problem?

Not completely, but it would make a significant difference.

conn artist

i think puttin up the drinking age is a good idea, but i dont think it will stop britains binge drinking culture. our drinking issues are cultural and would take generations to sort out, it will not make us overnight as liberal the french or spanish. i think only hitting us where it hurts and putting up the prices would have any impact, but the same could be said of driving. we all rely on our cars but would you stop driving if it was ?2 a litre, probably not. you would still find a way somehow.

Not completely, but it would make a significant difference.

I just dont find it fair that I would suffer for other people's actions.

Since violence related activites happens throughout all age groups due to alcohol you must think that alcohol should be banned full stop don't you?

But i bet you dont because that would not benefit you. It's easy to agree to things that dont conflict with your life.

Since the internet is a main source for terrorism, a peodophile heaven, piracy and fraud galore do you think it would be reasonable for them to stop use of the internet?

At the end of the day it would make the world safer so you must think they should ban it dont you?

Sorry mate but I fell quite strongly about this.:):beer:

I just dont find it fair that I would suffer for other people's actions.

Unfortunately the well behave minority of young adults will have to suffer due to the unacceptable behaviour of the majority.

If I were in the government, here's is what I'd do.

1. Issue an official ID chip-and-pin type card linked to an alcohol purchasing scheme.

2. Alcohol can only be purchased on production of the card.

3. Set purchasing limits grouped by age.

18 year olds - 1 unit of alcohol per week

19 year olds - 1.5 units

20 - 21 year olds - 3 units

21 - 25 year olds - 8 units

25+ - unlimited.

Job done. :)

Unfortunately the well behave minority of young adults will have to suffer due to the unacceptable behaviour of the majority.

1. Issue an official ID chip-and-pin type card linked to an alcohol purchasing scheme.

19 year olds - 1.5 units

25+ - unlimited.

Where is Al Capone when you need him.;)

One other thing, 3 quid for a 3 litter bottle of cider is ridiculous. I do think however that everything else in this country is over priced there is exessive tax on everything.

Army recruitment: I there son fancy joining the army?

Young lad: Sounds good!

Army recruitment: Great, you can learn to use a gun, go to war, shoot people, be shot, loose an arm or leg and suffer many mental health problems!

Young lad: Does that mean I can have a drink?

Army recruitment: Haha don't be and idiot, you're not old enough to do that!

Does that sound jusified to anyone?

I dont need drink or obbsessed in any way before anyone asks, I drink once a week, however...

I should have the freedom to choose.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Cheers!:beer:

Francis Albert

So you would be able to go and get killed or maimed in Iraq "for queen and country" but not buy a drink when on leave.

19 year olds - 1.5 units

25+ - unlimited.

You seem to ignore the point of my post.:)

Do you drink on the streets of muirhouse? I can't see where you get the "majority" of 18 to 21 year old's from.

So correct me if i'm wrong but you must think that the internet should be banned, Alcohol, music, movies and computer games too?

I have put thought before to the idea raised by Therapist regarding a chip and pin system with a limitation to the amount of alcohol that can be purchased.

I think that 18-21 should have allowance for 3 units per week and cannot be used all on one day, at most 2.

21-25. 5 units per week, same restrictions as above

25+ 7 units, 3 units can be bought at once in this scenario

People will say, 'but I should be allowed to drink as much as I want'. Which is well and good, but the limitations are to stem binge drinking and personal health damage.

To satisfy that, I would say that the unit allowance outlined above should be sold at a reasonable price, say 2.00, per pint. After your units are used up, you can then continue to buy as many units as you want, but they will cost you say 5 pounds per pint.

This system would allow people to drink as much as they want but at the same time limiting the ease to do so whilst not having to charge obscene amounts for people who want to drink but not get bladdered. The extra revenue created by the binge drinkers would help to keep the 'allowed' prices lower and to counter act the public spending spent on damage done by binge drinking culture.

I meant to add that an interesting idea would also be to consider a reward scheme for resposible drinking, for example 6 months without getting into trouble, a unit increase to your allowance.

Constant offender of getting wasted, you lose you allowance points and can only buy expensive alcohol.

Do you drink on the streets of muirhouse?

Not any more mate. I used to but it was getting a bit too rough.

19 year olds - 1.5 units

25+ - unlimited.

tell me you're having a giggle!

Not any more mate. I used to but it was getting a bit too rough.

Aye! Bottle of cider in one hand, richmond superkings in the other. ;) The good old days!:rofl:

You know what would be a good start? Enforcing the laws we already have. Assault, Breach of the peace, Vandalism etc.

More laws aren't going to solve the problem.

As far as i'm concerned alcohol is an easy scape goat. I've been plastered on more than one occasion. I've never broken the law (seriously) under the influence.

Neds will be neds with or without alcohol.

What has happened?

First, I agree with Bob. Then Therapist agrees with a possible SNP proposals...and I disagree with it.

Craaaaazy.

If this happens we can kiss 'goodbye' to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and wave 'hello' to the Coca-Cola Sponsored United Kingdom of the United States.

The rate at which this country is turning into another State is alarming and this would be one of the most severe changes and threat to our identity.

CompleteIdiot
If this happens we can kiss 'goodbye' to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and wave 'hello' to the Coca-Cola Sponsored United Kingdom of the United States.

The rate at which this country is turning into another State is alarming and this would be one of the most severe changes and threat to our identity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9EksAo5hY

The biggest problem with drink in this country isnt the people that are getting drunk its the pubs and clubs that are offering crazy offers that encourage people to drink as much as possible as quickly as possible. The typical type of offer where its a pound a drink at the beginning of the night to encourage the drinkers into the clubs and then hike up the prices when theyre rat-arsed.

CompleteIdiot
I really shoudn't say this, but I love Rammstein and thought of that song as soon as I posted that :D

Good man. I am a big fan myself. I am not a big metal fan but there is something unusually great about these German nuts. I buy all of their albums and DVDs. :)

Good man. I am a big fan myself. I am not a big metal fan but there is something unusually great about these German nuts. I buy all of their albums and DVDs. :)

I saw them live during their Mutter tour in, jesus, about 2003 now. Absolutely mindblowing.

Du........du hast.......du hast mich!

Great idea. :cool::cool::cool:

So what.

Smoking and drinking should be raised to over 21's.

Any business caught selling alcohol or tobacco products to youths should be closed down and the owners sent to prison.

Any youths caught drinking or smoking should lose their right to vote and be forced to join the army until they are 21.

100 percent agree

Bring it on, would save me a bloody fortune if I wasnt allowed in pubs. Id just start gettin smashed on anything I could get my hands on like the good ol' days. Would be quite bizzare all the same.

Great shout on Rammstein by the way, saw them a few years back and have been a massive fan for ages.

So what.

Any business caught selling alcohol or tobacco products to youths should be closed down and the owners sent to prison.

Any youths caught drinking or smoking should lose their right to vote and be forced to join the army until they are 21.

How hypocritical! I don't believe for a second that you never drank underage or smoked a fag when you weren't supposed to.

Excellent ideas. Hopefully some of our politicians will read this thread and take note of the ideas. They need some radical ideas rather than the mainstream namby pamby nonsense they usually come up with.

Taking your excellent idea further, I would:

1. Impose 3 years national service for all school leavers, college/university graduates/drop-outs.

2. Give them daily drug and alcohol tests. Anyone caught with such stuff in their systems would be imprisoned for a period of one month which is also added on to the length of their national service. If they wanted to, they could trade this for three months community service in an islamic or poor African country so the locals can see that British people are not all bad.

CompleteIdiot
Excellent ideas. Hopefully some of our politicians will read this thread and take note of the ideas. They need some radical ideas rather than the mainstream namby pamby nonsense they usually come up with.

Taking your excellent idea further, I would:

1. Impose 3 years national service for all school leavers, college/university graduates/drop-outs.

2. Give them daily drug and alcohol tests. Anyone caught with such stuff in their systems would be imprisoned for a period of one month which is also added on to the length of their national service. If they wanted to, they could trade this for three months community service in an islamic or poor African country so the locals can see that British people are not all bad.

Here's another idea for your fascist police state:

Drinkers face drug checks

Customers were tested for drugs before they could go for a pint in an Oxford pub.

http://www.oxfordmail.net/mostpopular.var.2133968.mostcommented.drinkers_face_drug_checks.php

Have a problem with some of these types of regulation. I know from personal experience that if you want booze you can get it at any age.. It was a bit of a contradiction to me that as a 17 year old soldier I could be taught to kill but couldn't buy a beer legally.

Good on you Bob. You only live once.

PS I have heard that alcohol consumption can lead to hair loss

Archived