Playing poorly but winning games

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Is the difference between 3rd place and real success.

I'm just trying to decide where we will put the league flag at Tynecastle. :smuggy:

It's not the amount of possesion than matters. It's the quality of the players you have, that for that short period of time you have the ball you make it happen.

It is and we done that tonight, obviously.(in response to OP)

Hard to criticise because we stuck at it and thats what its all about. Without playing too well technically, we still created plenty efforts and that is priceless. To be honest, apart from a late Motherwell scare they hardly had a sniff but what kept me on edge is how easy we gave away the ball around our area at times and put ourselves under P.

But hey ho, what overrides that was our desire and im chuffed to bits we`ve came through a game that asked us questions and we do seemed to have found more authority in our game.

I'm just trying to decide where we will put the league flag at Tynecastle. :smuggy:

Did you think we were poor tonight ?

I thought we went to a very difficult place traditionally for us, kept the ball quite well when we played it up, kept their chances to an absolute minimum, always threatened to score when we went forward, created a barrowload of chances and half chances. ranging from two sitters (Elliott in each half) to close things from long range. We had a player on our side who is virtually unstoppable when he runs at people and made some great runs. Sometimes our clearances could have been a bit more cultured and clever but better safe than sorry.

its not going to be pretty sometimes keeping ourselves near the top of this league. Rangers arent pretty and neither are Celtic. Pretty gets you feck all for the most part.

In short, I thought we were excellent tonight.

I thought we went to a very difficult place traditionally for us, kept the ball quite well when we played it up, kept their chances to an absolute minimum, always threatened to score when we went forward, created a barrowload of chances and half chances. ranging from two sitters (Elliott in each half) to close things from long range. We had a player on our side who is virtually unstoppable when he runs at people and made some great runs. Sometimes our clearances could have been a bit more cultured and clever but better safe than sorry.

its not going to be pretty sometimes keeping ourselves near the top of this league. Rangers arent pretty and neither are Celtic. Pretty gets you feck all for the most part.

I know we don`t get along but im genuinely not picking holes here. Fir Park is traditionally a decent place for us. The record there is quite good historically and not as bad in recent times as many think.

The main difference is controlling the game. The old firm don't always play exhillirating football, but they normally have the majority of possession in almost every game. That alleviates pressure on the defence, wears out the opposition, etc etc.

It showed on the stats on Sky in the 1st half Motherwell had 60% possession, then later on showed Hearts had 14 attempts on goal! I think that sums this team up, a goal threat without dominating matches. To become title contenders we would need to see a midfield similar to the Cameron/Salvatori partnership of 1997/98. Black and Mrowiec aren't good enough although you could probably get away with one if accompanied by a quality playmaker.

ToadKiller Dog

I thought our tactics allowed Well to have more of the ball we still must have had 18 or 20 shots at goal most off target , Well had maybe one or two chances they should have done more on . At this moment it looks like teams have to score 2 or more goals to beat us only maybe the old firm can do that . Yes we were ragged at times but overall a decent performance .

I agree with you. We actually created quite a few good chances tonight yet our Keeper hardly had a save to make.

If that was us playing 'poorly' tonight, I can't wait to see us playing well!

Generally speaking, we have been very poor at Fir Park in recent years - that was our best performance there since the 2-0 victory around autumn 2007 (midweek game where Ibrahim Tall scored one of the goals).

Didn't think we were at all bad in what was quite an open game. We created many more chances than them and converted just enough of those chances to see us through. Motherwell are a decent side and it's not easy to dominate them on their own patch.

The main difference is controlling the game. The old firm don't always play exhillirating football, but they normally have the majority of possession in almost every game. That alleviates pressure on the defence, wears out the opposition, etc etc.

It showed on the stats on Sky in the 1st half Motherwell had 60% possession, then later on showed Hearts had 14 attempts on goal! I think that sums this team up, a goal threat without dominating matches. To become title contenders we would need to see a midfield similar to the Cameron/Salvatori partnership of 1997/98. Black and Mrowiec aren't good enough although you could probably get away with one if accompanied by a quality playmaker.

BOW TO YOUR LEADER!! :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

vladimir-romanov.jpg

I agree with you. We actually created quite a few good chances tonight yet our Keeper hardly had a save to make.

If that was us playing 'poorly' tonight, I can't wait to see us playing well!

Generally speaking, we have been very poor at Fir Park in recent years - that was our best performance there since the 2-0 victory around autumn 2007 (midweek game where Ibrahim Tall scored one of the goals).

Prior to the 3 in a row defeats to tonights match we`d won 4 in 5 there. Mixed bag more i`d say.

Really happy with that win - Motherwell have been a jinx for us of late and we beat them..on their own patch.

They had some kind of plan to greet us with and when it wasn't working, they were greeting about anything and everything.

I am also finding it refreshing that referees are at last letting us get on with things and not making us feel like we are playing 12 men all the time.

The media are starting to pay attention to us with some talking about title contenders - this is good for the scottish game and I believe will loosen the anti-hearts stuff further as it seems to be the way things work in this country.

The fact that we are the ones to have the "young prospect" in Temps heightens our positive perception further.

An uglier win than we've seen of late but thoroughly deserved and the goal attempts versus theirs speaks for itself - How S Elliot didn't get one tonight, I'll never know.

Well done Jim and the Boys - Delighted with this run and didn't see it coming at all!! :-) :-) :-)

14 attempts to the home sides 3 at one point....I don't think they improved on that either..

Awfully determined to find something...

wright1989 got it right.

14 attempts to the home sides 3 at one point....I don't think they improved on that either..

Awfully determined to find something...

wright1989 got it right.

JJ said himself Hearts ground it out tonight. There's nothing wrong with that, Relax, just saying we could still improve, or is that a bad word now?

Gordon Ramsay

Agree with all of this, we look good going forward and when Kyle knocks it down, Elliott, Skacel and Temps are always buzzing about and I think thats why we're looking so dangerous. We don't, however, do what the old firm do and control matches possession wise and this is our downfall, if we could get someone in midfield who can put their foot on the ball and pick a pass we'l easily finish 3rd and possibly, just possibly catch 2nd.

JamboAberdeen

Strange game.

They had more possession (until that red card) while we had more shots overall.

At 1st half I feared we might get thrashed because of their dominance, but most of clear-cut chances were ours somehow.

You rarely see that kind of things happen in a game, but I have no complaint anyway.

JJ said himself Hearts ground it out tonight. There's nothing wrong with that, Relax, just saying we could still improve, or is that a bad word now?

I SAID BOW TO YOU LEADER!! :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

Vladimir-Romanov-006.jpg

The Old Tolbooth

I don't think we played bad at all tonight, the players rolled up their sleeves and got stuck in and absolutely worked their socks off, and massive credit has to go to them for that against a side that WILL take points from the old firm at that hovel.

We had far more chances to score than they did and created more openings, we were awarded a spot kick and should have had another which the ref appeared to bottle giving, Elliot missed 2 absolute sitters and there were a few shots pinging just over or just past the woodwork, overall I'd say if we keep creating as many chances as that then we're going to be having a very good season :thumbsup:

Motherwell are nobody's mugs and make no mistake about it, that was a MASSIVE result!

I know we don`t get along but im genuinely not picking holes here. Fir Park is traditionally a decent place for us. The record there is quite good historically and not as bad in recent times as many think.

Dont worry about us not getting along, its not like you're marrying my daughter or anything, its just a website.

Anyway, In recent times, as you say, we had lost 5 of the last 6 visits to that stadium. I think that makes it currently a difficult place for us. I might be wrong but I'd suggest the only place we have a worse recent record is Ibrox.

Thought we were really pretty bad in the first half and came onto a game in the second.

I'm not just referring to tonight but also the Hamilton and St Bribery games. We've shown we are capable of winning in different ways which is key. The team spirit also gets stronger and stronger with every win.

Black wasn't playing tonight.

Of course we can improve on some aspects of our play, but I'm enjoying our play at the moment... Why can't you?

wright1989 :thumbsup:

Inverness next though....

Great post !

Motherwell are a very good team, it took us finding another gear to beat them tonight. The biggest thing for us was that we forced them to change there style of play. When they kept it down and passed it around they were greating some good chances, but Zal was class today (a few poor cleareances aside) and when they treid to punt the ball in the air we had them inside our pockets.

Temps again came up with some magic to light the game up, but again it was a good all - roundteam perfromance.

Thought we were really pretty bad in the first half and came onto a game in the second.

I'm not just referring to tonight but also the Hamilton and St Bribery games. We've shown we are capable of winning in different ways which is key. The team spirit also gets stronger and stronger with every win.

Correct Alan, 1st half was dire but exploded into life when Temps done his Pele impression didn't work but result was the same.

Then typical lose a quick goal....

Whatever Jim said at half time had the desired effect. And also shows the spirit in the team. I don't just mean the playing squad as I'm sure Billy and Gary would help in emphasising the point made.

We stepped up a gear.

I'm trying not to get excited.....

We require a wee kick start sometimes i agree, St Johnstone away was your typcial grounded out resulted !

On a wee side note, why was it we only started singing when we scored the first ?

portobellojambo1

I don't actually think we played that bad tonight, I think what we saw was a different way of playing, with the same end result.

I think maybe some were taken in by the pretty passing football Motherwell were playing (as has been the case in a few games this season) and as a result were disappointed in Hearts. When they tally up the points come the end of the season you don't get bonus points for playing nice triangles around the middle of the park, all they take into account is games won lost or drawn (and goal difference thereafter).

Tonight we allowed Motherwell to play their way, but sat in and frustrated them. During tonight's 90 minutes Motherwell had one shot on target, and it would be easy to argue we gifted them that chance through a lack of concentration just after scoring. Yes they had a lot of the ball, but they never hurt us in any way. We just chugged along, and when the chances came we took them, and another 3 points were added to our total.

To me doing it with a bit style, per Aberdeen on Saturday, is a bonus, the major smile on my face comes from the 3 points gained, whatever method is used.

Tonight was a super 3 points, and now we move on to Tynecastle on Saturday and the next opponents.

I SAID BOW TO YOU LEADER!! :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

Vladimir-Romanov-006.jpg

While I'm all for making jamboy kow-tow to lord vlad were you the poster who was on here a few weeks ago telling us what a shite manager jj is.

Armchair fans opinion? but you are entitled to it.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

On a wee side note, why was it we only started singing when we scored the first ?

*must not post* *must not post*

Snake Plissken

A terrific three points tonight.

I'd have been alright with a draw before kick off in all honesty so I'm very pleased we picked up all three points and keep creating chances. Another big game against Inverness coming up, we're looking very good for Europe and a win on Saturday will make me wonder if there's more up for grabs this season.

Armchair fans opinion? but you are entitled to it.

:vrface: There's always one.

I've got an exam on Thursday so there's no chance I could've made it through but I think my season ticket entitles me to an opinion. :verysmug:

All I'll say is that our visits to Motherwell are usually punctuated by "aw for **** sakes" and angst ridden "no..no..noooooos"

However tonight they were almost conspicuous by there absence :thumbsup:

:vrface: There's always one.

I've got an exam on Thursday so there's no chance I could've made it through but I think my season ticket entitles me to an opinion. :verysmug:

nice images, it doesn't help the team though eh?

kickback personified.

kickback personified.

:lol:

Yet here you are, sitting reading armchair fans opinions.

Alan, I'm an armchair fan and proud... :thumbsup:

If folk have have problem with that they can feck right off.

Good luck with your exam on Thursday.

My next match will be the derby. :)

kickback personified.

Same with every other football forum on the country. Some people go to all the games. Some go to some and some go to none.

When a game is on tv the fans not in attendance may choose to view there opinions if they WATCHED THE GAME.

I didn't go either but also have a season ticket and go to most away games so I'm going to give an opinion as well. Having WATCHED the game I am able to do that.

I'm looking at our next 5 league games and thinking what a great chance to really show what we are capable of this season....let's get it right up the Old Firm, SFA, SPL and anyone else who attempts to put down the mighty JT's

Inverness CT (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

St Mirren (A)

Shite FC (H)

Dundee Utd (A)

C'mon Hearts walk_man.gif

Strange game.

They had more possession (until that red card) while we had more shots overall.

At 1st half I feared we might get thrashed because of their dominance, but most of clear-cut chances were ours somehow.

You rarely see that kind of things happen in a game, but I have no complaint anyway.

Have to take issue with your comments, the most successful team in British football is Manchester United and if you look at their possesion stats they are regulary dominated especially when they play quality sides.

Sitting in and hitting on the break with speed and quality is todays way of winning matches.

What we have to concentrate on is moments of madness, aka Zaliukas passing to an oponenent whilst out of position instead of lumping it up the line or into the stand, and Darren Barr beating an opponent and seeming to think that same opponent will not come back at him to win the ball.

Get the simple things right and we have enough quality to trouble the uglies.

Same with every other football forum on the country. Some people go to all the games. Some go to some and some go to none.

When a game is on tv the fans not in attendance may choose to view there opinions if they WATCHED THE GAME.

I didn't go either but also have a season ticket and go to most away games so I'm going to give an opinion as well. Having WATCHED the game I am able to do that.

it's xmas time there's no need to be afraid, but in this time of plenty. blah blah blah.

ps, i hope partridge fails his exam, if you are not ready the night before then you are not studying hard enough, a night at the hearts game would have set you up nicely.

cheers

it's xmas time there's no need to be afraid, but in this time of plenty. blah blah blah.

ps, i hope partridge fails his exam, if you are not ready the night before then you are not studying hard enough, a night at the hearts game would have set you up nicely.

cheers

Thank you for your kind words Chimpos. Two days to go though. :thumbsup:

I'm looking at our next 5 league games and thinking what a great chance to really show what we are capable of this season....let's get it right up the Old Firm, SFA, SPL and anyone else who attempts to put down the mighty JT's

Inverness CT (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

St Mirren (A)

Shite FC (H)

Dundee Utd (A)

C'mon Hearts walk_man.gif

Tell you what. Not so long ago that would be a bugger of a hard run of games. Still not an easy looking game amongst them, apart from possibly Hibs at home dare I say it, and followed by a January that gets even harder. Definitely a case for keeping the feet on the ground and taking one game at a time.

I have also thought we were struggling to dominate games - especially during the St Johnstone home, Hibs, Aberdeen home, St Mirren, Celtic away and Hamilton away games.

Thank you for your kind words Chimpos. Two days to go though. :thumbsup:

What was I going to say...

Oh aye, well us internet and part-time fans were able to give an opinion as the vast majority saw what was happening. If they couldn't see they would've heard the Master Pundit at his best......

:paterson:

Good luck with your exam tomorrow Partridge. I sure he'll want to do well given this chance.

He has been much maligned but I thought that Ian Black was missed last night.

He has been great in recent weeks, tidying up in midfield, playing simple passes and intercepting things. Stevenson is very slow by comparison and Motherwell had a lot of space where Black would have been.

Hopefully both he and Jonsson are back for Saturday and noone else comes down with the lurgy.

kickback personified.

Some arse claiming to be a better fan and that "lesser fans" aren't entitled to have an opinion on Hearts.

Kickback personified.

I am enjoying the way we are now playing, whilst we may not have most of the possession what we do have is the ability and desire to frustrate the opposition. Kyle is presenting a huge headache for opposing defenders and when two or three defenders are worrying about Kyle, the door is open for Templeton, Skacel and Elliott.

The biggest thing for me is that you can see the team are enjoying their football, its been a long time since we seen that!

Archived