Veggies?

Albert Finney

Albert Finney

I became a vegetarian about two years ago after watching a documentary on fish in Japan...which looks a bit random without more detail! At the same time I saw a documentary about wabi-sabi and felt that vegetarianism sat quite well with that philosophy too. Any other veggies here?

Konrad von Carstein

Thought about it for a while and did try but lazy shopping and lack of REAL will stopped me.

However I do think that certain practices make vegetarianism a laudible way to live. (As long as you don't become a veggie nazi)

Doctor FinnBarr

I became a vegetarian about two years ago after watching a documentary on fish in Japan...which looks a bit random without more detail! At the same time I saw a documentary about wabi-sabi and felt that vegetarianism sat quite well with that philosophy too. Any other veggies here?

Why do veggies want tofu and soya fashioned into steaks?

2 things to say here-

1. If it has a face, eat it

2. If the good lord didn't want you to eat animals, why did he make them from meat?

yep, been one for 21 years or so. Was a combination of the animals, healthier (for me), being really into 60s/hippy thing at the time and also a group of us at school just decided to do it. Was fairly easy as I only really ate steak and fish. What I would say is it is a hell of a lot easier to be one now than way back then. The only thing I really miss though are fruit gums :D

Guest John Meurig Thomas

Sort of brought up as a veggie. If there are veggie options I'll probably go for it but I do like meat. Not arsed about anyone else's dietary habits tbh.

Albert Finney

Sort of brought up as a veggie. If there are veggie options I'll probably go for it but I do like meat. Not arsed about anyone else's dietary habits tbh.

Neither am I John. I just wondered if there were any other veggies here...not a thread about the morality (or otherwise) of eating meat. I'm not a "veggie nazi", I was just curious.

The People's Chimp

I've toyed with the idea, but like certain meals too much. I had a horrendous experience with a grilled chicken breast on holiday, along with a coronation chicken roll for lunch the other week which have both been so rank I've considered going veggie on that alone. I'm probably about 70% or more veggie during the week anyway, with only ham/chicken at lunch sometimes, plus the occasional home cooked curry or chilli for meat during the week. I find that homecooked veggie meals are cheap and super healthy and very tasty during the week, so I just stick to that. On a weekend I might eat out or have a nice dinner on the sunday so I'll have meat, but I could quite easily be veggie 6 days of the week without it even crossing my mind.

I've been a veggie for about 20 years (with the possible exception of one drunken hogmanay, I remember looking at a sausage roll and wondering what it tasted like, but can't remember whether I ate it or not!) I'm not a veggie nazi though, when I have folk round I'll cook a mix of meat and veggie stuff, though it's easier cooking the veggie stuff as I can actually taste it to make sure it's OK.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

Neither am I John. I just wondered if there were any other veggies here...not a thread about the morality (or otherwise) of eating meat. I'm not a "veggie nazi", I was just curious.

Aye I understand. What I meant was I couldn't be hooped with all the "haha you're less of a man because you eat fewer animals rofl" chat.

Albert Finney

Aye I understand. What I meant was I couldn't be hooped with all the "haha you're less of a man because you eat fewer animals rofl" chat.

Got you. I do get that a bit...mainly from my dad!

I cooked my first proper vegetarian meal (aged 30) the other week (not counting sandwiches and wee snacks). Purely because I had no meat in the house and the weather was stopping me getting to the shops. Made a veggie stir-fry with noodles, and to be fair, it was delicious. Would have been even better with some chicken in there though - preferably from a battery-farm having suffered horribly.

:thumbsup:

Albert Finney

Do you genuinely believe that a lettuce doesn't feel pain?

I know, I know...I'm a terrible person. It is a point I guess...vegetables and plants are also "living" things.

I didnt eat meat for 10 years from the age of 6 - just refused to as I hated it, couldve been something to with my Dad being a veggie though, has been since he was 16 (He'll be 70 next year). A school trip to an abattoir did it for him - mustve been a wierd school.

I eat meat now but changed my diet 3 months ago after I strained my back (Physios always tell you to lose the flab if you want your back to heal). The diet consists of not eating carbs with protein, so I'm eating a lot less meat/fish and tatties and a lot more veg. Can go days without eating meat and never really think about it.

BTW As diets go its been awesomely successful, have lost a stone and I wasnt fat to start with.

Albert Finney

I cooked my first proper vegetarian meal (aged 30) the other week (not counting sandwiches and wee snacks). Purely because I had no meat in the house and the weather was stopping me getting to the shops. Made a veggie stir-fry with noodles, and to be fair, it was delicious. Would have been even better with some chicken in there though - preferably from a battery-farm having suffered horribly.

:thumbsup:

Oooh, you are awful! But I like you!

hand on heart i seriously don't understand vegetarianism. animals are here for us to eat, they wouldn't taste so good or be as easy to farm if they weren't

Can't believe our paratrooping veggie hasn't swooped in to tell us that eating meat is like feasting on the corpses of Auschwitz. smiliz23.gif

southside1874

I'm a firm believer in eating what you feel happy about eating. You can have all the health benefits of certain foods but if you don't like it then its not going to help your digestive system to digest the fecker. I can't eat meat if I think the animal has had a terrible life, feck knows why but I can't. A hibby would stick in my throat if forced into cannibalism. :verymad:

Snake Plissken

On Saturday night I ate enough animals to utterly negate the impact of non-meat eaters.

Followed up with four bacon rolls the following day.

:santa4:

I'm a veggie, and have been for more than 25 years, but its not down to moral reasons - got fed up throwing up after eating meat when I was growing up.

What other people eat doesn't bother me. Some people accuse veggies of being "veggie nazis" as above, but it does seem that most of the abuse seems to come from the meat eaters. Some meat eaters seem to take it personally when others won't eat meat.

Governor Tarkin

I'm a veggie, and have been for more than 25 years, but its not down to moral reasons - got fed up throwing up after eating meat when I was growing up.

What other people eat doesn't bother me. Some people accuse veggies of being "veggie nazis" as above, but it does seem that most of the abuse seems to come from the meat eaters. Some meat eaters seem to take it personally when others won't eat meat.

Thats my experience too.

Been a veggie for around 10 years and have never been accused of being a vegie nazi. Each to their own and all.

Any time I've been harassed into having a taste of something a mate is eating, the meat part just does nothing for me.

Love the smell of bacon though.

On Saturday night I ate enough animals to utterly negate the impact of non-meat eaters.

Followed up with four bacon rolls the following day.

:santa4:

:sieg:

With mad cow disease and battery feed chickens I can understand why people turn veggie. I think you need to have some kind of standards. You would not treat your pets the way some farmed animals are treated.

Snake Plissken

With mad cow disease and battery feed chickens I can understand why people turn veggie. I think you need to have some kind of standards. You would not treat your pets the way some farmed animals are treated.

But you wouldn't eat your pets either.

:smiliz23:

dobmisterdobster

I've been a vegetarian for the past few years.

I eat the fake meat stuff like Quorn. Doesn't taste much like meat though.

Archived