What can we achieve this season?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This group of players we have are starting to look very, very good indeed. What struck me today was the hunger each and every one of them had to close down the ball and win it. We didn't give Aberdeen a second today. Scary to think we have achieved this all without two of the best players in Scotland, Wallace and Driver.

What can we achieve this season? If we win on Tuesday night we are three points behind a terrible Sellick side who have pushed self destruct.

Am I getting a bit carried away in thinking that at least second place is a real possibility?

You might be, time will tell though.

What is for certain, is third is the least we are aiming for, Jefferies is delivering on the targets he must have been set.

As you state, our team is missing Wallace and Driver, Wallace walks into the team without a second thought, but what for Driver? I wonder if we would drop one of Kyle/Elliott and move either Templeton, Skacel or indeed Driver further forward to accommodate him. In my humble opinion, those six players (Mrowiec, Black, Skacel, Templeton, Elliott & Kyle) are pretty much undroppable at the moment.

Am I getting a bit carried away in thinking that at least second place is a real possibility?

Not at all :D

I'm sure the rest of this season will be mighty interesting. Of course, we've still got a massive chance at the Scottish cup and subsequently a nice wee European run is also not out of the question.

Now bring it on :)

2006_0526_175804.jpg

I'm feeling it man.

That's the one for me

Nothing like a wee day out in May

iirc I don't think 2nd even gets the Champions League qualifiers this year although it would be good

Sensible head on says let's see how things lie come end January

This group of players we have are starting to look very, very good indeed. What struck me today was the hunger each and every one of them had to close down the ball and win it. We didn't give Aberdeen a second today. Scary to think we have achieved this all without two of the best players in Scotland, Wallace and Driver.

What can we achieve this season? If we win on Tuesday night we are three points behind a terrible Sellick side who have pushed self destruct.

We will finish no lower than third, of that I am convinced. Second I'm not so sure of, one thing I would say however is people talk about splitting the old firm but but to me if we are going to finish above one then we are just as well to finish above them both. Rangers are only three in front of a poor Celtic team and could hit bother if injuries and suspensions kick in. I still doubt however we will finish above either.

The cup, well if we hit the form we are showing now we will take some stopping.

Said to my mate at the match I was really impressed with our closing down/hunting in packs/attitude/hunger today, the team spirit looks very, very good and the players genuinely looked like they were determined they weren't going to concede a goal. Tuesday, I think, is a huge game and a win could really help us kick on this season and who knows, mibbe gibe shellik cause for concern!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

You might be, time will tell though.

What is for certain, is third is the least we are aiming for, Jefferies is delivering on the targets he must have been set.

As you state, our team is missing Wallace and Driver, Wallace walks into the team without a second thought, but what for Driver? I wonder if we would drop one of Kyle/Elliott and move either Templeton, Skacel or indeed Driver further forward to accommodate him. In my humble opinion, those six players (Mrowiec, Black, Skacel, Templeton, Elliott & Kyle) are pretty much undroppable at the moment.

Totally agree, although five clean sheets on the trot suggests we should be giving credit to the defence and keeper as well!

Though to be fair, Kello must be bored out of his skull at the moment!

2006_0526_175804.jpg

I'm feeling it man.

Which would pose a very difficult question.

Is three years old too young to go to a Cup Final?

Totally agree, although five clean sheets on the trot suggests we should be giving credit to the defence and keeper as well!

Though to be fair, Kello must be bored out of his skull at the moment!

I don't disagree buddy.

The real reason for mentioning those players in particular was the proposed return of Driver. Looking at our side, both full backs are only filling in but the centre backs and 'keeper do not have any serious contenders for their position and as such, are "first picks" now.

but what for Driver? I wonder if we would drop one of Kyle/Elliott and move either Templeton, Skacel or indeed Driver further forward to accommodate him. In my humble opinion, those six players (Mrowiec, Black, Skacel, Templeton, Elliott & Kyle) are pretty much undroppable at the moment.

Thankfully I think this might be the moment of truth for Andy, with Novi coming off the bench and showing his ability and Suso to come back all going well we can pace Drivers comeback until he is properly recovered

If we can do that then I hope he can go on to become the player we all hope he can be

Which would pose a very difficult question.

Is three years old too young to go to a Cup Final?

I left mine at 4 & 2 in 2006. Didn't think they'd appreciate it & well, I wanted to go on the piss big time, knowing that we would win it.

This season, if it happened, I would want them there. The thought of watching Hearts lifting the cup with my son there who is now a total fanatic, would be just perfect.

*They'd be dumped at night though. :smiliz64:

I said in the summer that we would have an enjoyable season like the ones we had in 1989/90, 1995/96 and 2002/03; as opposed to a real landmark year like 85/86, 97/98 and 05/06.

I still stick by that.

Happy days, a day out Hampden would be lovely.

I left mine at 4 & 2 in 2006. Didn't think they'd appreciate it & well, I wanted to go on the piss big time, knowing that we would win it.

This season, if it happened, I would want them there. The thought of watching Hearts lifting the cup with my son there who is now a total fanatic, would be just perfect.

*They'd be dumped at night though. :smiliz64:

That's enough for me dude! :)

As for going on the piss, I don't think I'd drink that much.:rolleyes:

The current squad is very exciting. With the ability we have third should be our minimum target. I don't think it is quite time to start thinking about second because unfortunately the difference between aiming for third and aiming for second is big. I really do believe that this group led by JJ and co have the chance to take the club to the next level whatver everyone might think that level is. For me its looking towards Europe. Thinking back to how much better this team looks to the one that played Zagreb, European qualification is a much more exciting prospect. If we were to come up against a similar standard team to Zagreb again i would have great confidence that we could progress.

I know this is now looking very very far forward but hey a fan can dream... if you can get yourself into the group stages of Europa it greatly improves following years seedings and sets up the possibility of maintaining the club as a Europa regular. I know that we have been there in previous years and then fallen away again, but with the strength of squad we currently have including the very talented youngsters, and the fact that our rivals are skint and/or getting worse and worse consistent 3rd place finishes are very realistic.

Being realistic 3rd place and hopefully a good cup run. The team is capable of beating anyone on their day and we haven't been able to say that for a few years.

I don't disagree buddy.

The real reason for mentioning those players in particular was the proposed return of Driver. Looking at our side, both full backs are only filling in but the centre backs and 'keeper do not have any serious contenders for their position and as such, are "first picks" now.

Driver has to prove himself all over again basically. His quality will show though and he'll be in the team soon enough. To be able to have a player like Driver on the bench is fantastic and shows the depth of the squad.

Suppose it depends on how JJ wants to handle Templeton's development. He could end up spending a bit of time on the bench playing here and there and really coming into his own next season. Can't really see how he can be dropped though. JJ will know what to do. :thumbsup:

Frankenstein Jambo.

If we are talking about second place we might as well talk about winning the league. We aint that far behind them.

We can do OK, but let's not forget that Aberdeen are truly shite. :thumbsup:

7 out of 8! Why cant we be more ambitious? As people note, two quality players to come back, we have a squad good enough I think to REALLY challenge. The watershed day in '85 was v Dundee when we became positive I thought, even then Dundee scored first. Then we were conceding goals. I think winning in Perth was our current watershed. We have lost 3 goals in 8 matches ALL in the one loss. Back to '85, seven days after Dundee game we won at Celtic. We thought "we can win the league". We can win next 5 or 7 games THEN I think the whole face changes. Me I think we can overhaul Rangers. It is a strange, strange season in almost all the major leagues. Look at the English, French, German and Italian standings!C'mon the Hearts

Our wee bet looks as though it might have some legs yet.

Four games left this year and to me they are massive, all are hard games but all are games we are capable of winning.

Motherwell (A)

Inverness (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

St Mirren (A)

Take 10-12 points from those games and we're right there in the mix at the top end.

Take 7-9 points and third is well within our grasp.

Take 4-6 points and we're scrapping it out for Europe.

Take 0-3 points and Kickback is in meltdown, there will be calls for jj's head and hats will be getting punted up and doon Mcleod street. :thumbsup:

One thing I've never understood (and our players are most guilty for this) is saying 'we can split the Old Firm'.

Why just split them when they are usually so neck and neck? Why not just aim for another point or two and be above them?

The other one that bugs me is 'we want to be the third best team in Scotland'.

Why would anyone want to be the third best at anything?

Frankenstein Jambo.

Four games left this year and to me they are massive, all are hard games but all are games we are capable of winning.

Motherwell (A)

Inverness (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

St Mirren (A)

Take 10-12 points from those games and we're right there in the mix at the top end.

Take 0-3 points and Kickback is in meltdown, there will be calls for jj's head and hats will be getting punted up and doon Mcleod street. :thumbsup:

Motherwell - draw.

Inverness - win.

Killie - win

ST Mirren - win.

That is my prediction.

:greatpost:

Albert Finney

An interesting run of games lies ahead; Motherwell away, a very well organised ICT at home, a Boxing Day trip to a Killie side who tore us apart a few weeks ago and then a visit to St Mirren before the end of the year. St Mirren aside none of those are games that you would say we were certain to win. We can win them, of course we can, but I would settle for remaining unbeaten before 2011 starts right now. If we win against Motherwell, St Mirren and don't lose to ICT or Kille (which I think are the most difficult of the games) then we will be in a great position to push for third place. At the start of 2011 we have to face Hibs, Dundee Utd (away), Rangers (home) followed immediately by a trip to Celtic and then a home match against St Johnstone...that run of games will provide all the evidence we need about how good this team is and how successful they can be...avoid defeat to the Old Firm and pick up 4 from the other 9 points on offer and I might, just might, start thinking we could do something special. As ever it's all ifs, ands, buts and maybes!

Motherwell (A)

Inverness (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

St Mirren (A)

That's a fair assessment.

Looking at that conservatively, I'd be happy with 1, 3, 1, 3 from that selection, putting us firmly in the third spot. However, if we were to want to go for the top two, you are right, we would need double figures from those games.

Italian Lambretta

Killie will be the hardest game of the 4.

Motherwell - draw.

Inverness - win.

Killie - win

ST Mirren - win.

That is my prediction.

Our wee bet looks as though it might have some legs yet.

:laugh:

I'm stunned at how quickly JJ has transformed this club, tbh. Also didn't account for Sellick being so bad.

I'll be made up if I lose. :thumbsup:

One thing I've never understood (and our players are most guilty for this) is saying 'we can split the Old Firm'.

Why just split them when they are usually so neck and neck? Why not just aim for another point or two and be above them?

This was what I heard Csaba Laszlo say at Tynecastle one night. I had never really thought about it. But you're right, it's daft.

I have always said that I want Hearts to win the league with the old firm still part of it, in my lifetime. If they leave the league, the title is devalued imo.

I don't think we'll ever do it. It hurts, but I just don't think it'll ever happen.

* We WOULD have won it in 05/06 if it hadn't gone tits up. I am still convinced of this.

Albert Finney

Therein lies the problem with Scottish football. You best believe that nobody at Manchester City or Tottenham are talking about being the "third best". Every single player in those sides will be looking at the top of the table. It's all about mentality. Right now there is no reason why anyone in possession of a first team shirt at Tynecastle should be thinking about anything other than winning every game. Of course it's not possible to win every match; injuries, suspensions, dips in form, off nights etc all figure over the course of a season (just look at the last time we played Kilmarnock) but it is possible to win the league. Rangers have a squad that is thin to the point of being anorexic, Celtic have hit the self-destruct button (but still have more goals in them than any other side) so why not go for it? It's a legitimate goal to have.

I suspect it's because the old firm leaning press will rip the proverbial that other teams try not to crow about their ambitions, not to mention the posse of clowns on Sportsound would have a field day.

I hope that when the team are on a run like they are at the moment, they feel like they could take on anyone.

This was what I heard Csaba Laszlo say at Tynecastle one night. I had never really thought about it. But you're right, it's daft.

I have always said that I want Hearts to win the league with the old firm still part of it, in my lifetime. If they leave the league, the title is devalued imo.

I don't think we'll ever do it. It hurts, but I just don't think it'll ever happen.

* We WOULD have won it in 05/06 if it hadn't gone tits up. I am still convinced of this.

That has to always be our aim I think. It would be a very hollow victory if the old firm were ever to leave and we won the league without them in it.

Long season and small first team squad. We only had one recognised Left back. If one of our centre backs get injured then we could struggle, similar to Wallace being out. We need a bit of luck with injuries and suspensions but looking good at present. :thumbsup:

And of course we've got the behemoth that is Jamie Mole coming back in January! Better book the open-top bus now! :santa1:

As someone titled their thread "this team reeks of goals"....... The movement and speed Hearts go at is impressive when we break but collectively we now have alot of intelligent running off and on the ball. Kyle is the battering ram that occupies the opposition while Temps, Elliot and Skacel move in and do the damage.

But what im also enjoying is our desire to defend. When we lose the ball every Hearts player works hard to get back into a defensive position and close down the ball. Mrowiec in particular has been outstanding.

The season is still relatively young and the Scottish Cup is to come too. Our aim hasn`t changed imo from the start of the season but what our current form has done is add belief to the minds of the players that they can actually go on and achieve something.

Great to watch and getting results. If the players maintain the right attitude throughout the season which they are showing just now, they should fear no one. Its all part of the long term development for me.

Do you think if we close the gap further come January, Vlad will get the cheque book to strenghthen the squad further and have a proper go? Creative midfielder maybe? Although the squad is pretty strong as it is.

Do you think if we close the gap further come January, Vlad will get the cheque book to strenghthen the squad further and have a proper go? Creative midfielder maybe? Although the squad is pretty strong as it is.

Whatever the situation is come Jan i think we should be looking at a centre half. Need cover there and it doesn`t look like we`ve got anyone ready from the reserves as yet.

We can't think about anything more than third until the window closes in January. We need to be able to cover the losses of Rudi, Kyle and Zal. They are the spine of our team and if we were to lose any one of them I think it would seriously put the breaks on our progress. If we get 2-3 quality players in to improve the depth of the squad then we could have a chance at doing better than third.

JJ is doing an outstanding job. Hopefully this run will convince Vlad that this is the right time to back the manager to invest in a few new faces.

First team playmaker + experienced understudy for Zal + experienced stand in for Kyle = Best season since 05/06

With a huge chunk of luck we might do very well without any new faces. If Driver could stay fit and Rudi could adapt to playing in the middle we could step up another level. It will be a small miracle if we can keep all of our current first team fit all the way to the end.

Celtic aren't any great shakes just now and Rangers might be losing Miller and McGregor in January. Who's to say we can't compete for the league, but I've been saying things like this for the last 35 years.

Flippancy about Mole aside, we saw a fine example today of why we'll always struggle in the SPL as the huns get given a ridiculously soft penalty in the last ten minutes of a game. Going to make it especially tricky to challenge them under these conditions!

scots civil war

First team playmaker + experienced understudy for Zal + experienced stand in for Kyle = Best season since 05/06

word........

as for the run in,

kyle`s card count is getting rather large and we will struggle when hes out of the side i fear.

although there was a lot of great link up play today,kyle was still recieving a lot of balls on his noggin..........

the team and the system needs his presence

also kyle wants to recieve the ball,then distribute, rather that wanting to immediately flick on etc

Guest John Meurig Thomas

Celtic and Hibs are terrible so it's not surprising we beat them, as are Hamilton, Aberdeen and St Johnstone. Big test coming up against Inverness, then we've got Kilmarnock again not long after that.

You'll find none of this giddyness from me until at least the end of January - it's a tough few months a head and that'll really tell us where we are in relation to everyone else imo.

Motherwell (A)

Inverness (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

St Mirren (A)

Lets go for 12 points. Motherwell are in the huff cos Pa Broon's away, it would be good to burst Inverness's unbeaten away run, we owe Killie after that last game at Tynie, and St Murder are allegedly Chuck Dungs team.

I'm thinking we can manage a good cup run. And I don't see why we shouldn't be aiming for 2nd, I feel 1st is a little out of reach but 2nd I feel we can maybe manage. It's hard to believe the turn around from this time last season. We are exiting to watch now like hearts should be. Rather than the pathetic boring bunch of sadsacks of the csaba era.

all hail the messiah that is vlad!!

I posted this after the St Mirren - Celtic game when Celtic scored an injury time winner (14th/Nov);

We are currently ten points behind Celtic, if we could go into the split just 4 points behind, I feel we'd have a good chance of catching them or giving them something to think about.

We have just under two full rounds of fixtures remaining, if we can gain 3 points on them in each round of fixtures (excluding the 3 we already have on them this round), we could have a chance.

It will be difficult, a bit frustrating when the defeats and draws come but Celtic will have those days as well, nearly today, on Wednesday as well.

It's not all over.

Since then, we have each played two games, we have won our two, they have drawn both of their games, we have gained four points on them so with seven games of this quarter to go, we are ahead of my target.

Our league fixtures are;

Dec

Tue away v Motherwell

Sat home v Inverness

Sun away v Kilmarnock

Wed away v St Mirren

Jan

Sat home v Hibernian

Sat away v Dundee United

Sat home v Rangers

Celtic's next seven games are;

Dec