University Degrees

i8hibsh

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are so so so so so sad

Like beyond sad

Firstly, the Germany thing was in reposne to something Star Trek Heid said. and I did not go into detail about my 'travels

Seriously guys

give it a rest. Move on to another thread and find soemone else to antagonise.

The whole travelling thing is the same nowadays.

15 years ago when people told you they ?went travelling? you were fascinated.

You would ask lots of questions as it was so exciting.

Now you just think they are a tosser for bragging about it as every Tom Dick and Harry has ?seen the world?

No mention of needing to go into details to be branded a tosser -

tick.gif

:smuggy:

Geoff Kilpatrick

You guys are so so so so so sad

Like beyond sad

Firstly, the Germany thing was in reposne to something Star Trek Heid said. and I did not go into detail about my 'travels

Seriously guys

give it a rest. Move on to another thread and find soemone else to antagonise.

Give it a rest? Here's a clue i8. Stop making a tool of yourself and people might do so.

Give it a rest? Here's a clue i8. Stop making a tool of yourself and people might do so.

Here is the thing Geoff

I could post a thread called 'Hearts are the most amazing team ever' and you'd have pinky and perky there coming on and antagonising me.

I am not playing the victim card as I know EXACTLY what i'm doing on here (and I would not have it any other way), I make my bed and all that but Beavis (AP) and Butthead (Ross)are relentless.

southside1874

Here is the thing Geoff

I could post a thread called 'Hearts are the most amazing team ever' and you'd have pinky and perky there coming on and antagonising me.

I am not playing the victim card as I know EXACTLY what i'm doing on here (and I would not have it any other way), I make my bed and all that but Beavis (AP) and Butthead (Ross)are relentless.

You should go and clear some snow with that shovel..................

I just sat and read most of the drivel on this thread. It can be summarised mainly as this;

i8 thinks that everyone should finish school and get a job working from bottom up untill they reach the top of the chain.

University is a huge waste of time unless you are studying medicine.

He also thinks no one should travel the world - I mean why would anyone want to broaden their horizons by living in different cultures?

Most people are a bit more sensible and disagree with his inane ramblings.

Guest C00l K1d

It's not schools and teachers who are to blame. It's the universities who for whatever reason have devalued higher education by making it available to anybody. This is where I actually agree with i8. Everyone has a right to avchieve their best, but that doesn't mean you should simply lower the bar so everyone can achieve something. If everybody has a degree, it becomes the same as no one having a degree.

Higher education should be a priviledge for those intelligent enough. I don't want to sound like a dick, but there shouldn't be a back door into uni because your family is poor, it should be based on academic achievement alone.

What unis have done by offering degree courses you can get onto with one higher, is completely devalue the degree system. It's like shortening a marathon by 10 miles because more people can run 16 miles than 26. I do think it's a bit ridiculous and because of this, my mate who spent 3 years at uni has now been working in the petrol station at Tesco for 2 years. Absolutely nothing wrong with working in a petrol station, but for him going to uni with his one higher was a waste of time.

But there are plenty courses which still deserve to be degree courses (including lots on i8's origional list). To say that only law and medicine should be degrees is ridiculous, just is saying Edinburgh only has one "real" university.

What courses let you in with only 1 higher? I'm not being wide but i'm genuinely intrigued. It's just every course i looked at uni (even ones frowned upon such as theatre) was requiring 4 highers and at least B's to.

The defining aspect of a University is the breadth of disciplines that were addressed. Rather than appearing on University Challenge it's the addition of an arts faculty that made Heriot Watt a University as opposed to an excellent engineering institute and it's the peripheral nature of that Arts Faculty that leads to the continued perception that it's not a "proper" university i.e. they don't teach or research fields like Philosophy, Music, English Literature or History. Curiously these are the type of field that the original poster was eager to debunk as not "proper" subjects.

It would appear that Heriot-Watt with it's utilitarian focus* would be the kind of University that the I8Hibs who wrote the original post should be applauding

*Even the modern languages department is more interested in producing professional translators rather than Moliere, Goethe and Chekhov

Sorry for the bump...but I think I'm still waiting...

Hope you don't need the NHS Lothian any time soon.

gory_headshot.jpg

Great stuff Teenwolf.

There should be an ilove pain thread imo. featuring i8hibsh....

What courses let you in with only 1 higher? I'm not being wide but i'm genuinely intrigued. It's just every course i looked at uni (even ones frowned upon such as theatre) was requiring 4 highers and at least B's to.

In all honesty, I couldn't give you a specific course. But a boy I taught last year went to uni and the only higher he had was PE. I'll ask tomorrow and find out.

The first course I started at uni before dropping out only needed 2 C's at higher.

Archived