University Degrees

i8hibsh

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Yeah 3rd year of tourism and marketing. I take it you're doing the joyful intercultural organisational management module? One of my very favourites :thumbsup:

Don't remind me. Had to hand in a 1500 word report for that very module today. So glad it's off my chest.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a 3 month course at Jewl and Esk Valley or something, how quickly do they make the access!

Some can be 2yrs just to get into a degree at the 'dosshouse' of Napier.

Hope you don't have to use the NHS in Lothian much as you'll probably find a few folk that studied at Napier looking after you. :thumbsup:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Business Studies!!! FFS that is a school subject. It's shit like that thta makes me disrespect it even more.

I am training people right now overseas and I have trained all over and I see many people with 'business studies' degrees and I see how little they actually know when they get to my class.

So it's not a proper degree course due to the fact you trained a few people who did it and weren't impressed by them? That's me told. Do you recommend a particular course I should be doing since you are the expert after all? :rolleyes:

It was a 3 month course at Jewl and Esk Valley or something, how quickly do they make the access!

Highers are 120 hour courses done over 8 months, with usually between 4 and 5 hours per week dedicated in class. Part time college or university study is 17.5 hours, full time is 35. I'll let you do the maths. :thumbsup:

Bowling Alley Management - Ladies and gentleman we have a winner!

Granted Bowling Alleys are on the decline but I happen to know a chap who is virtually one of the only Bowling Alley technicians left in Britain and indeed further afield (he regularly gets called to europe.

Really he should have retired but there is no one there to do his job. The manteniance of the machines for example part of which will be covered in this course.

For ten-pin bowling as a recreational activity to survive this course seems perefectly acceptable to me. In the sense some one has to do it! It would become silly if every second person was doing it but I very much doubt that is the case.

Its not nearly as silly as it might first appear.

Fairly sure we could go through the list and find all the real degree courses and find that they all have direct vocational outcomes. Unfortunately, I8 is as silly as he first appears..

How?

I know the Romanov Face Palm kind of closes the argument for you but............

Well by my count you have three truly honking threads on the front page of the shed alone. I havent even looked to see how you are doing in the terrace. :rolleyes:

Granted Bowling Alleys are on the decline but I happen to know a chap who is virtually one of the only Bowling Alley technicians left in Britain and indeed further afield (he regularly gets called to europe.

Really he should have retired but there is no one there to do his job. The manteniance of the machines for example part of which will be covered in this course.

For ten-pin bowling as a recreational activity to survive this course seems perefectly acceptable to me. In the sense some one has to do it! It would become silly if every second person was doing it but I very much doubt that is the case.

I would also like to ask where one could study this "Bowling Alley Management" course, as I just Googled it and this thread was the 6th top result, with no sign of any UK institutions offering it. When I altered the search terms to "Bowling Alley Degree Course", this thread was the number 1 result, with no sign again of any UK institutions offering the course.

Can we have a link to this one please, just so we've got confirmation of which institution is offering it, i8?

In times of deep austerity, Bowling Alley Management has to be pretty much as low as it gets in the list of priorities.

I would also like to ask where one could study this "Bowling Alley Management" course, as I just Googled it and this thread was the 6th top result, with no sign of any UK institutions offering it. When I altered the search terms to "Bowling Alley Degree Course", this thread was the number 1 result, with no sign again of any UK institutions offering the course.

Can we have a link to this one please, just so we've got confirmation of which institution is offering it, i8?

http://www.vinu.edu/cms/opencms/academic_resources/majors/factsheets/factsheet_0008.html

:rolleyes:

UK? Oh sorry did I say UK? must have missed that one

In times of deep austerity, Bowling Alley Management has to be pretty much as low as it gets in the list of priorities.

i reckon everyone is just missing a trick. I'm going to team up with a business studies graduate and get a ten-pin bowling company on the go. Get it back on the up for the cool kids and make my millions!

Business Studies!!! FFS that is a school subject. It's shit like that thta makes me disrespect it even more.

I am training people right now overseas and I have trained all over and I see many people with 'business studies' degrees and I see how little they actually know when they get to my class.

Your overseas?

You hadn't mentioned..

UK? Oh sorry did I say UK? must have missed that one

Good to know you're getting all fire and brimstone about a course offered in an Indiana University, then. And a 2 year university (equivalent to a vocational college here) at that.

Glad I asked for clarification, otherwise people might have been misled by your posts.

What i8 has subtly done here, is prove the point he was trying to make. But not in the way he intended. I'd say his post has done more to prove that anyone can take these courses, regardless of their profound emotional and intellectual disability.

He has shown that his degree was of little value to him, as he as moved into the financial sector. A man who enjoys a window seat or two. A man who casts a wry smile and winks, answering "Both" when the lady at Customs and Excise asks him if his trip is business or pleasure.

We should not mock, but learn from him.

I P Knightley

I got a degree in QUEER MUSICOLOGY, but swiftly and I mean swiftly changed direction. Got a year's internship because of the degree to the states but apart from that it was utter pigswill.

My guess

I P Knightley

What are you training them in? Something very specific, no doubt; something like the CFA qualification?? (Or maybe systems and procedures within your company?)

If so, then you're bound to get folk with business degrees ill-prepared for the specifics of your programme.

What you've failed to appreciate about degree programmes is that they're not simply trying to get a pre-conceived set of abilities into everyone's head and create a homogenous group of people with a certain skills-set. I've seen people with accountancy degrees flunk at professional accountancy exams and I've seen people with what I'd call Noddy degrees (Medieval Tapestry or somesuch nonsense) excel in similar exams. Why? Because what they did at Uni was learn how to learn.

There's nothing wrong with business studies as a discipline. However, there will be some Business Studies graduates without an ounce of sense or ability in the field and others who would wipe the floor with most lecturers in the subject. (Not like you to have made a dramitic sweeping statement ;))

What type of university are your trainees coming through? It could be a big factor.

What are you training them in? Something very specific, no doubt; something like the CFA qualification?? (Or maybe systems and procedures within your company?)

If so, then you're bound to get folk with business degrees ill-prepared for the specifics of your programme.

What you've failed to appreciate about degree programmes is that they're not simply trying to get a pre-conceived set of abilities into everyone's head and create a homogenous group of people with a certain skills-set. I've seen people with accountancy degrees flunk at professional accountancy exams and I've seen people with what I'd call Noddy degrees (Medieval Tapestry or somesuch nonsense) excel in similar exams. Why? Because what they did at Uni was learn how to learn.

There's nothing wrong with business studies as a discipline. However, there will be some Business Studies graduates without an ounce of sense or ability in the field and others who would wipe the floor with most lecturers in the subject. (Not like you to have made a dramitic sweeping statement ;))

What type of university are your trainees coming through? It could be a big factor.

Pretty much everything someone learns in a business degree can be learnt very quickly working.

You learn so much more out of school and University than in, do you agree?

Why bother going through all the debt? why not just start in an office, learn a trade (they make lots of cash), do something that means you can earn and learn.

Any employer will tell you experience and skillset is head and shoulders above degrees.

Mostly every employer around will offer the whole'investors in people' type package. Get them to pay for your qualifications.

People are wasting their youth doing these type of courses mentioned. Seriously I don't think I know anyone nowadays who did not go to University after school.

As I said earlier, the rarer something is the more valuable it is e.g money. If everyone has a degree they are effectively dog shit. Everywhere.

Let's go back to the old days of 25% further education figures. This is not meaning to say I want it elitest - no way. But unless you want to be a doctor etc stay away from University.

Let the taxpayer pay for books for students to learn about massaging a heart or brain surgery not books on how to manage a hotel.

If you want to manage a hotel, get a ******* job in a hotel. Hotel management should not be a University course, or tourism management.

What is next? A University course on being a checkout supervisor in Tescos?

cashgenerator

Following on from another thread this deserves it's own space

Judge for yourself, worthwhile? (all genuine degree courses)

Business Studies with Human Resource Management

Tourism and Airline Management

David Beckham studies

Surfing studies

Football Studies

American Studies

Ufology (What the feck)

Bowling Alley Management - Ladies and gentleman we have a winner!

Humanities degree

General Studies

Media Studies

The Phallus (a course on penis's ladies and gentleman and such sexual objects)

Philosophy

Queer Musicology

Star Trek

Golf Management

Art History

Hospitality and Catering Management

Sport Science

Peace Studies

Theology

Harry Potter Degree (I shit you not!)

Film Studies

Advanced Film Practice

Advanced Networking

Acting for Stage and Screen

Applied Informatics

Aquatic Ecosystems Management

Automation and Control

Built Environment

Career Guidance

Creative Writing

Digital Systems

Environmental sustainability

Facilities Management

Festival and Event Marketing Event Management

Health Admin

Heritage and Cultural Tourism Management

Interactive Systems

Interdisciplinary Design

Investment Promotion and Economic Development

Language with Festival and Event Management

Managerial Leadership

Music

Property Development and Valuation

Publishing

Safety and Environmental Management

Screenwriting

Screen Project Development

Sound Production

Sport and Exercise Science

Strategic Risk Management and Finance

Sport Performance Enhancement

Television - holy shit! we'd all have Phds in this beauty!

Tourism Marketing

Transport Management

Wealth Management

These are just tip of the iceberg !

Are you pre-menstrual today?

:whistling:

Are you pre-menstrual today?

Just in a funny mood, but judging the 'funny moods' chicks have at certain stages in a month perhaps i am :whistling:

Guest Dr. Pepper

Any employer will tell you experience and skillset is head and shoulders above degrees.

How many employers have you spoke to like? Or is this just an opinion?

There was a poster on another one of your threads today saying differently. IIRC he said that despite having years of experience at his current place of work, he wants/needs to do an open university course so that he can improve his career and compete with university graduates.

Sounds like you had a pretty shite time at university though so I can understand why you are so against it.. although you can only blame yourself for getting into massive debt and acting like a fanoid with the drink for 3 years.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I left school at 17 with just one higher and my standard grades. I went into a trainee-ship to be a histologist at a sub-contracting lab in this field and attempted to work my way up in the mould that the OP mentions... 14 years and many jobs later I have a wide range of technical qualifications and certificates in animal technology, histolgy, immunohistochemistry, government licensing, etc along with a ton of experience and a skill-base that is (not to be big-headed) simply much much better than most technicians and other 'core staff'' in most research and science institutions that I have been employed by. I believed that hard work and experience would be enough for me to get to the highest level in this field... It is not... I have plateaued now and the only way I can move up the ladder any further IS by attaining a degree which I have now registered to start in January next year.

I appreciate that other industries will be different but in my experience, I cannot get any further without a degree and so I am now going to go and get myself one.

I actually do alright for myself though to be honest and earn a reasonable living but I want more and the only way i will get it is by studying with the OU in my spare time.

We should never put people off wanting to better themselves and broaden their horizons.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

What i8 has subtly done here, is prove the point he was trying to make. But not in the way he intended. I'd say his post has done more to prove that anyone can take these courses, regardless of their profound emotional and intellectual disability.

He has shown that his degree was of little value to him, as he as moved into the financial sector. A man who enjoys a window seat or two. A man who casts a wry smile and winks, answering "Both" when the lady at Customs and Excise asks him if his trip is business or pleasure.

We should not mock, but learn from him.

Clearly.

Pretty much everything someone learns in a business degree can be learnt very quickly working.

Why bother going through all the debt? why not just start in an office, learn a trade (they make lots of cash), do something that means you can earn and learn.

Mostly every employer around will offer the whole'investors in people' type package. Get them to pay for your qualifications.

People are wasting their youth doing these type of courses mentioned. Seriously I don't think I know anyone nowadays who did not go to University after school.

As I said earlier, the rarer something is the more valuable it is e.g money. If everyone has a degree they are effectively dog shit. Everywhere.

Let's go back to the old days of 25% further education figures. This is not meaning to say I want it elitest - no way. But unless you want to be a doctor etc stay away from University.

Let the taxpayer pay for books for students to learn about massaging a heart or brain surgery not books on how to manage a hotel.

If you want to manage a hotel, get a ******* job in a hotel. Hotel management should not be a University course, or tourism management.

I actually agree with the sentiment that degrees are now devalued by the apparent ease with which one can acquire one. However, I don't think that an increase in the number of people going to higher (or further) education can every be a bad think - the more educated the work force, the better...in general terms. While the title of some university courses/modules do sound laughable, university is not necessarily about the subject that one learns about, but rather the process of learning it, and to develop independent though. I suspect many people consider there time at university to have been a waste of time and money, but that's a result of the choice they made, back when they left school. However, I am sure most of these people will have been grateful to at least have the chance to increase the level of their education.

As for employers using degrees as criteria in the selection process, I think it's fair enough. It's unlikely anyone straight out of the University of Makebelieve with a degree in Spice Girls Studies is ever going to pip someone with years of relevant experience in, say, investment administration to a a job in that field. But employers are well aware of the relative value of degrees from different universities, so Deloitte, for example, are unlikely to pick a ten-year veteran from their cleaning staff ahead of a 1st class graduate in Accounting from Oxford for a a trainee CA role.

I'd suggest you are pretty ignorant of what a Business Studies degree entails, or at least have had your view skewed by those you have encountered. A lot of smart people take time to pick up working processes and practices (you didn't say what you were training them), but it doesn't mean their education was a waste of time.

Half of my degree was Business Studies, and the variety of courses I took gave me a solid foundation for my working life. For example, I regularly find that my grounding in finance, economics, accounting and marketing makes me more commercially aware than some of my colleagues - some of whom have years of education and work experience in fields like engineering etc..

I'd actually suggest that a decent Business or Management degree is one of these best groundings you can get if you intend on working in...a business - particularly if you want to want your career to develop away from one particular role into one where commercial thinking is required.

I actually agree with the sentiment that degrees are now devalued by the apparent ease with which one can acquire one. However, I don't think that an increase in the number of people going to higher (or further) education can every be a bad think - the more educated the work force, the better...in general terms. While the title of some university courses/modules do sound laughable, university is not necessarily about the subject that one learns about, but rather the process of learning it, and to develop independent though. I suspect many people consider there time at university to have been a waste of time and money, but that's a result of the choice they made, back when they left school. However, I am sure most of these people will have been grateful to at least have the chance to increase the level of their education.

As for employers using degrees as criteria in the selection process, I think it's fair enough. It's unlikely anyone straight out of the University of Makebelieve with a degree in Spice Girls Studies is ever going to pip someone with years of relevant experience in, say, investment administration to a a job in that field. But employers are well aware of the relative value of degrees from different universities, so Deloitte, for example, are unlikely to pick a ten-year veteran from their cleaning staff ahead of a 1st class graduate in Accounting from Oxford for a a trainee CA role.

I'd suggest you are pretty ignorant of what a Business Studies degree entails, or at least have had your view skewed by those you have encountered. A lot of smart people take time to pick up working processes and practices (you didn't say what you were training them), but it doesn't mean their education was a waste of time.

Half of my degree was Business Studies, and the variety of courses I took gave me a solid foundation for my working life. For example, I regularly find that my grounding in finance, economics, accounting and marketing makes me more commercially aware than some of my colleagues - some of whom have years of education and work experience in fields like engineering etc..

I'd actually suggest that a decent Business or Management degree is one of these best groundings you can get if you intend on working in...a business - particularly if you want to want your career to develop away from one particular role into one where commercial thinking is required.

But this is it tho Peebo, doing these courses does not make you educated.

Is Tesco checkout management really an education?

Can anyone say they are educate din passing half that dross?

If they want to educate themselves read a book on history etc, not on hotel management.

But this is it tho Peebo, doing these courses does not make you educated.

Is Tesco checkout management really an education?

Can anyone say they are educate din passing half that dross?

If they want to educate themselves read a book on history etc, not on hotel management.

If Hotel/Hospitality management is such a doss, why is it that the industry itself wants a workforce with related degrees? If anything, this is an example of HE & industry working together to produce a graduate calibre workforce. A workforce that the industry clearly feels it wants and needs.

If Hotel/Hospitality management is such a doss, why is it that the industry itself wants a workforce with related degrees? If anything, this is an example of HE & industry working together to produce a graduate calibre workforce. A workforce that the industry clearly feels it wants and needs.

Are these educated people?

Because I assure you there were some serious drongos in my course.*

*no jokes about me being one!

Are these educated people?

Because I assure you there were some serious drongos in my course.*

*no jokes about me being one!

Well, as the industry would see it, if they have a degree in a related subject then yes, they would be educated in that field.

Whether the individual is "educated" in the sense that they know what is happening in the world, they are familiar with various cultural movements, know how to behave in a civilised manner is of course moot.

I'm a bit late to the party here but how the **** is being a pished student wasting your youth FFS.

I wasn't at uni for very long but the opportunity to go out and have a good time almost every night was pretty dam good. How you can possibly say that is "wasting your youth" :blink:

I'd also love for your point about any employer wanting experience over a degree to be true but quite frankly it isn't. I don't have a degree and any job that I apply for is getting taken up by people WITH degrees. How do I know this you ask, well because they say so on their job specifications.

As a whole, this thread has been as good as your other threads you started yesterday i8. Keep up the good work.

Still romancing the "broad"? :whistling:

Just to add something this thread, you tend to find the people who do better in life are the ones who went into higher education.

Just to add something this thread, you tend to find the people who do better in life are the ones who went into higher education.

95.2% of statistics are made up

When I left school I applied for one degree and didn't get in, that was with 7 O Grades and 3 Highers which was pretty bloody good in those days.

When I was in 6th Year (probably a few years before you) we still had the prospect of getting an engineering apprenticeship rather than going to Uni. I wanted to study Architecture and applied to Edinburgh Uni but the course was over subscribed and I did not make the cut due to not having a foreign language among my 6 Highers. I could have applied for another course, but my mother pulled some strings and I joined a local architect's office as an apprentice technician studying on a part-time day release basis at Napier College. That lasted three years, as I noticed that graduates were joining the company at a higher salary than me, yet they knew feck all and still had to be trained (by me). It was then I decided to go to Uni and get a degree in engineering. I was lucky in that I was sponsored through Uni and had employment guaranteed after graduation.

This was in early 80s and in those days many employers used the degree qualification purely as a level of education rather than knowledge in a specific profession. From my year, few graduates pursued a career in engineering, many ended up in the civil service, police force, insurance, etc. I have only one friend from Uni that is actually in a profession that is linked to his degree.

The change in the UK economy has meant that few leave school and manage to go straight into employment (unless it is the service industry). Ex-polytechnics like Napier, Queen Margaret's now fill the gap in training that used to be done by day release courses (ONC and OND) but now they can award degrees.

On an aside, I am involved in recruitment of senior engineering personnel for work in the Middle East. Generally, for work permit purposes all Middle East countries require you to have a university degree. What the degree is in or what level is irrelevant but you need a degree. I have had problems getting work permits for experience guys with ONC, HND, etc. as they are not recognised as qualifications.

Now been in Investments for the past 10 years and work very hard at learning everything there is to know about it and do courses that my company pays for and I work hard to earn.

I spend a lot of my free time reading up on the financial world and I am VERY interested in it. I absorb everything around me relating to my career. Any books worth reading on it I read, any programs relating to the investment world I watch.

Are you Stewart from the apprentice?

As for the part in bold, if someone who was in your line of work had done a degree in say, economics or investments (which sholdn't qualify as degree courses in your opinion) perhaps they wouldn't need to do said courses? Well done for making it in a line of work without a relelvant degree, but perhaps one of the reason you got a job in this sector is because you had a degree in the 1st place?

I do think there are a lot of joke courses out there, and the requirements to go to university are slipping dangerously low, but to say law and medicine are the only courses which should count as degrees is laughable. Heriot-Watt does a lot of science/engineering based courses which are seriously tough, and things like quantity surveying ain't a walk in the park either.

Degrees have their worth of course, but my issue is the amount of dross out there (far more dross than quality) and the ridiculously high numbers getting them.

Degrees have their worth of course, but my issue is the amount of dross out there (far more dross than quality) and the ridiculously high numbers getting them.

Would you care to substantiate that statement with figures?

UNIVERSITY DROP-OUT IN BITTER AT GRADUATES SHOCKER

:vrface:

Ah AP where have you been!

If you read the thread (assuming you can read) you will see that I did not drop out! or did you just dive in head first and post your usual inane shite without thinking?

you are one of these poeple that thinks having a degree in Asda chekout supervisory management productivity engineering (BA df54 whatever) makes you intellegigent

University nowadays does not make you intelligent - agreed?

Oh my :smiliz65:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Left after 3 years becaue you couldn't hack it any longer = dropping out. Fact.

I've never claimed that University makes you intelligent, not sure what you are slavering about there. It does make you more educated in your chosen field though. Knowledge is power. If people want to do Asda Checkout degrees then brilliant. All for folk trying to better themselves.

Training people how to use Microsoft Office and how to recycle their waste more efficiently is brilliant though. You've made it to the top through sheer determination. :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

Ah AP where have you been!

If you read the thread (assuming you can read) you will see that I did not drop out! or did you just dive in head first and post your usual inane shite without thinking?

you are one of these poeple that thinks having a degree in Asda chekout supervisory management productivity engineering (BA df54 whatever) makes you intellegigent

University nowadays does not make you intelligent - agreed?

Oh my :smiliz65:

Wonderful stuff.

Left after 3 years becaue you couldn't hack it any longer = dropping out. Fact.

I've never claimed that University makes you intelligent, not sure what you are slavering about there. It does make you more educated in your chosen field though. Knowledge is power. If people want to do Asda Checkout degrees then brilliant. All for folk trying to better themselves.

Training people how to use Microsoft Office and how to recycle their waste more efficiently is brilliant though. You've made it to the top through sheer determination. :thumbsup:

I have to say that although your up against some stiff competition I find you easily the biggest plank on here

I'm sure the fact I have been called every name under the sun on this thread i'll get away with that comment.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I have to say that although your up against some stiff competition I find you easily the biggest plank on here

I'm sure the fact I have been called every name under the sun on this thread i'll get away with that comment.

kennethwilliams.jpg

Resorting to abuse. Not big or clever. Should have stuck in at Uni, wee sacks. :thumbsup:

Chad Sexington

Have you been called Therapist's retarded little cousin yet?

If not can I have first dibs? :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

Have you been called Therapist's retarded little cousin yet?

If not can I have first dibs? :thumbsup:

Trying to get biggest plank award post, IMO.

kennethwilliams.jpg

Resorting to abuse. Not big or clever. Should have stuck in at Uni, wee sacks. :thumbsup:

so you do you think it makes you clever then spunk breath

Archived