Cruyff or Platini - who was best?

Charlie-Brown

shaun.lawson

Cruyff, definitely. He certainly holds a claim to being Europe's best ever - but then, so do Beckenbauer, Puskas and Best.

Platini was may favourite....but that is down to my age:)

European footballer of the year 3 times in a row IIRC.

Won France Euro 1984 on his own. 9 goals again IIRC.

Should have won World cup in 1982. Not 1986 as he / France were just getting past it then.

For me, Cruyff couldn't lace Van Bastens boots but hey what do I know. Platini not at the races IMO.

Of course not.

He's French. :rolleyes:

Cruyff.....

Platini.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfAxRE7PJ14

Are these the 2 best players Europe has produced?

I asked now Kostadinov snr what he thinking, because I don't remember palyers. I know this people now. He said me: "For me Europe have tree geniuses last around 40 years: First - Johann Cruyff, striker, who have not analog, Mihel Platini - the best palymaker for me for ever and Franz Beckenbauer - the best defender for ever. The important for this tree players is that this players are not only players, thay are very hi class leaders." He thinking that for last 40 years thay are nummber one. Any in diferent line on the pitch, but any basice for the teams (clubs and nationals). Complex dad thinking that Kaiser have not competition. Complex is PLAYER + COACH.

:107years:

Cruyff for me - look at what he achieved at Ajax (Barca was a bit of a let down).

Of course neither would have acheived much in the 'modern' era , due to them both being smokers.:rolleyes:

What about Eusbio was he not supposed to be Europe's Pele ?

Unfortunately he never did it at the highest level - he got hacked to pieces in the 1966 world cup finals and never really played (think he got seriously injured). Good shout though.

Cruyff for me - look at what he achieved at Ajax (Barca was a bit of a let down).

Of course neither would have acheived much in the 'modern' era , due to them both being smokers.:rolleyes:

right enough, Platini did nothing at Juve:rolleyes:

I am old enough to have seen both of them at their best. Both were outstanding players in different ways. For me, Platini was a better team player. Both were successfull at club level, Platini more so at International level. This may be something to do with a Dutch penchant for international squad disputes.

So on balance I think Platini was the better player. Dutch player I really rated was Johan Neeskens.

micheal platini was the best centre minfielder ever to play the game an absolute master of his craft.......................

the french midfield of the mid 80's was the best balanced i have ever seen in all my years of following football....................

fernandez,giresse,tigana and platini pulling the strings,absolutely awesome engine room,one that never has or never will be improved upon imo...........

oh, and cruyff was awesome as well,probably the 1st of the modern day footballers,the bridge between old and new imo.....................

right enough, Platini did nothing at Juve:rolleyes:

I never said Platini did nothing at Juve.

If you disagree , fine. It's all subjective , after all.

Bert Le Clos

Platini for me.

More important to the team than Cruyff. Cruyff was very much an individual, who could win games on his own.

Platini could bring other players into the game and get more from them, as well as being a creative, goal scoring individual.

Perhaps why Holland never enjoyed real success whereas France won the Euro's in '82.

John Findlay
Unfortunately he never did it at the highest level - he got hacked to pieces in the 1966 world cup finals and never really played (think he got seriously injured). Good shout though.

I think you are mixing up Eusebio and Pele here. Pele was the one hacked out of the 1966 world cup. Ironically enough against Portugal in a game Portugal won 5-3. I think you will find Eusebio was the highest scorer at the world cup in 1966 with 9/11 goals I cant remember exactly. Eusebio did indeed do it at the highest level.

Personally think Cruyff was a more skilful player than Platini but, Ferenc Puskas was as good as any European.

John

What about Eusbio was he not supposed to be Europe's Pele ?

Sure he was from Mozambique. Had less to do with Portugal than some recent Scottish players have with Scotland. Think it was dependent of where you lived though, Di Stefano being a good example.

willie wallace

I think that the style of play of the Ajax and Holland sides of the early 70s tended to make all of their players stand out as individuals especially Cruyff.Their long hair and rebellious nature enhanced this image and they were always at odds with the Dutch FA.

Both Platini and Cryuff were great players and it was a pleasure to watch them at their peak.

HMFCjamieHMFC
Sure he was from Mozambique. Had less to do with Portugal than some recent Scottish players have with Scotland. Think it was dependent of where you lived though, Di Stefano being a good example.

Yeah he was but at the time i believe it was a part of Portugal

portobellojambo1
Yeah he was but at the time i believe it was a part of Portugal

He was indeed from Mozambique, which I believe was officially an overseas province of Portugal at that time.

Like argyjambo I am old enough to have witnessed both Johann Cruyff and Michele Platini live in the flesh. Two super players, different types of players, playing in different types of teams, and both very effective at what they did.

I think from the point of view of "doing the unexpected" Johann Cruyff was a little bit special.

Jamboross98

Platini for me, but I loved them both. Cruyff's pass to Jesper Olsen for the penalty was class and was banned after that even though no rules were broken at that time. I was fortunate enough to see Cruyff in his last season with Feyenoord at Love Street with a very young Ruud Gullit. Platini's goals were class as was his vision. Boniek and Platini were a great combination.

Denny Crane

What a choice?

Platini for me - his show in Euro 84 was phenomenal.

Just one thing about his youtube link - that Heysel footage could have been edited out.

Archived