Stewart Regan speaks

Victorian

http://sport.stv.tv/football/206842-stewart-regan-admits-sfa-decision-making-process-is-flawed/

Stewart Regan admits SFA decision making process is ?flawed?

SFA Chief Executive wants 'greater urgency, transparency and openness' from decision making committee.

04 November 2010 18:09 GMT

* Comment

Firing line: SFA Chief Executive Stewart Regan has admitted changes are needed in 'flawed' system. Pic: ? stv

SFA Chief Executive Stewart Regan has admitted that there are major flaws in the ruling bodies? post-match decision making process and that he will be seeking changes to the system immediately

In light of the recent fall-out surrounding referee Dougie McDonald?s reversed decision in the October 17 match between Dundee United and Celtic, Regan has called for ?greater urgency, transparency and openness? in future decision making process.

However, the Englishman refused to criticise the state of refereeing in the league and re-affirmed his trust in Scotland?s under-fire match officials.

Speaking on the official SFA website, Regan said: ?It is important we separate the issue of decision making on the pitch, which was proven to be correct, and the decision making off it, which I have stated was unacceptable.

?Dougie now has to show strength of character to recover from a very public aberration but, in a wider context, the Scottish FA has to acknowledge that the process was flawed.

?We had a Board meeting today and would have been remiss of us not to discuss the events of the past few weeks. I submitted a proposal to allow me to address a series of issues that have arisen and have been given the go-ahead to proceed with it.

?Suffice to say I will be seeking to ensure a greater urgency, transparency and openness in all future decision making. The Association has to embrace an era of instant information and I hope to produce a suite of measures to re-establish faith in our systems.?

The SFA have recently been called into question over their handling of an incident during the match at Tannadice, which seen referee Dougie McDonald reverse his original decision to award a penalty kick to Celtic after consultation with his assistant Steven Craven.

Celtic subsequently lodged an official compliant about the incident with Craven handing in a letter of resignation soon after. Both McDonald and SFA ref?s chief Hugh Dallas were called into question regarding the high-profile decision, with Craven later accusing both men of lying and using ?bullying tactics?.

Newly appointed Chief Executive Regan admitted that McDonald will have to show ?strength and character? to recover from the fall-out, but would not be drawn on any further committee findings.

?The Referee Committee made their judgment and it is now up to Dougie to learn from what has happened and use his experience to overcome the inevitable scrutiny he will undoubtedly be under when he resumes refereeing this weekend.

?Referees will be written to and reminded of their responsibilities in managing the game and providing accurate information at all times on and off the pitch. We cannot have football without referees but we must also be able to trust them and rely on them for honesty at all times. They will be told that all information is accurately submitted to their senior managers and that they conduct themselves with integrity at all times.?

yeah, yeah, good, okay, cheers... what are you doing to drag celtic into line though? does the desire for greater transparency and openness extend to you yourself being transparent and open about why the SFA are lightning fast to jump all over some people when they infringe the rules on what can be said... but seem to tolerate almost any amount of the same stuff from other people?

if there's a two-tier way of dealing with these matters then that's what we'll have to accept. it would just be nice to see some transparency and openness in regard to why you're shiteing yourself silly to apply your rules on the club who are taking the utter pish out of everyone else in scottish football.

ps... don't forget to sanction neil lennon for his aggressive intimidation of a match official. cheers.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/206842-stewart-regan-admits-sfa-decision-making-process-is-flawed/

SFA Chief Executive wants 'greater urgency, transparency and openness' from decision making committee.

04 November 2010 18:09 GMT

* Comment

Firing line: SFA Chief Executive Stewart Regan has admitted changes are needed in 'flawed' system. Pic: ? stv

SFA Chief Executive Stewart Regan has admitted that there are major flaws in the ruling bodies? post-match decision making process and that he will be seeking changes to the system immediately

In light of the recent fall-out surrounding referee Dougie McDonald?s reversed decision in the October 17 match between Dundee United and Celtic, Regan has called for ?greater urgency, transparency and openness? in future decision making process.

However, the Englishman refused to criticise the state of refereeing in the league and re-affirmed his trust in Scotland?s under-fire match officials.

Speaking on the official SFA website, Regan said: ?It is important we separate the issue of decision making on the pitch, which was proven to be correct, and the decision making off it, which I have stated was unacceptable.

?Dougie now has to show strength of character to recover from a very public aberration but, in a wider context, the Scottish FA has to acknowledge that the process was flawed.

?We had a Board meeting today and would have been remiss of us not to discuss the events of the past few weeks. I submitted a proposal to allow me to address a series of issues that have arisen and have been given the go-ahead to proceed with it.

?Suffice to say I will be seeking to ensure a greater urgency, transparency and openness in all future decision making. The Association has to embrace an era of instant information and I hope to produce a suite of measures to re-establish faith in our systems.?

The SFA have recently been called into question over their handling of an incident during the match at Tannadice, which seen referee Dougie McDonald reverse his original decision to award a penalty kick to Celtic after consultation with his assistant Steven Craven.

Celtic subsequently lodged an official compliant about the incident with Craven handing in a letter of resignation soon after. Both McDonald and SFA ref?s chief Hugh Dallas were called into question regarding the high-profile decision, with Craven later accusing both men of lying and using ?bullying tactics?.

Newly appointed Chief Executive Regan admitted that McDonald will have to show ?strength and character? to recover from the fall-out, but would not be drawn on any further committee findings.

?The Referee Committee made their judgment and it is now up to Dougie to learn from what has happened and use his experience to overcome the inevitable scrutiny he will undoubtedly be under when he resumes refereeing this weekend.

?Referees will be written to and reminded of their responsibilities in managing the game and providing accurate information at all times on and off the pitch. We cannot have football without referees but we must also be able to trust them and rely on them for honesty at all times. They will be told that all information is accurately submitted to their senior managers and that they conduct themselves with integrity at all times.?

yeah, yeah, good, okay, cheers... what are you doing to drag celtic into line though? does the desire for greater transparency and openness extend to you yourself being transparent and open about why the SFA are lightning fast to jump all over some people when they infringe the rules on what can be said... but seem to tolerate almost any amount of the same stuff from other people?

if there's a two-tier way of dealing with these matters then that's what we'll have to accept. it would just be nice to see some transparency and openness in regard to why you're shiteing yourself silly to apply your rules on the club who are taking the utter pish out of everyone else in scottish football.

ps... don't forget to sanction neil lennon for his aggressive intimidation of a match official. cheers.

This is what I am waiting with bated breath for. Got a feeling I could be wasting my time. Sure Gary Hoopers comments must be accounted for by Celtic where the SFA are concerned. After all there IS precedent here.

Archived