Racism rears its ugly head....again

maroonshrew

Miss the devils advocate bit then?

Clearly not. The point of adopting that approach is to provoke a response, right? Which is what I provided.

My point (which I realise I've already stated) is that the example you provided (which apparently was in defence of today's orator, or perhaps just being utterly disingenuous) was irrelevant. In my humble opinion, of course.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I condone racism but isn't it getting a bit late now for all you moral high ground, keyboard hard men? Church is but hours away?

So, the guy said something probably in the heat of the moment. Is it the worst thing in the world? Is it the worst thing in your world?

If the answer to either is yes, get out more.

It's not the worst thing in the world, of course it's not.

It's disgusting though, heat of the moment or not, and people coming on here attempting to brush it under the carpet is pretty poor form.

Not that I condone racism but isn't it getting a bit late now for all you moral high ground, keyboard hard men? Church is but hours away?

So, the guy said something probably in the heat of the moment. Is it the worst thing in the world? Is it the worst thing in your world?

If the answer to either is yes, get out more.

I dont remember the bit where I said it was heat of the moment. it was two separate occasions andalso littered with various other unnecessary comments. Nothing keyboard hardman about it, why must everyhtign have connotations of confrotnation. I said that the man in question was approached. So i followed all your little rules.

I wouldnt say me taking offence to a guy calling someone a ni**er is taking the moral high ground. I thought people might want to know this goes on amongst our fans.

Is it the worst thing in the world? No. But by that logic we shoudl not pay attention to anything that doesnt fall under the category. What a ridiculous argument.

I dont remember the bit where I said it was heat of the moment. it was two separate occasions andalso littered with various other unnecessary comments. Nothing keyboard hardman about it, why must everyhtign have connotations of confrotnation. I said that the man in question was approached. So i followed all your little rules.

I wouldnt say me taking offence to a guy calling someone a ni**er is taking the moral high ground. I thought people might want to know this goes on amongst our fans.

Is it the worst thing in the world? No. But by that logic we shoudl not pay attention to anything that doesnt fall under the category. What a ridiculous argument.

No, true. What is ridiculous is you wanting to go on a message board and vent your fury about the guy. Why didn't you say it to him at the time? Honest question!

Seymour M Hersh

Clearly not. The point of adopting that approach is to provoke a response, right? Which is what I provided.

My point (which I realise I've already stated) is that the example you provided (which apparently was in defence of today's orator, or perhaps just being utterly disingenuous) was irrelevant. In my humble opinion, of course.

Ironically we are in agreement. But please don't go anywhere near the camp linesman thread you might spontaneously combust in indignation!! :D

No, true. What is ridiculous is you wanting to go on a message board and vent your fury about the guy. Why didn't you say it to him at the time? Honest question!

re-read my post and you might see what actually happened instead of presuming things were heat of the moment or presuming nothing was said. Im not venting my fury. Im not angry, im a bit gutted that this goes on. Thought others might be too. The majority are and seemed to want to know what I saw and heard.

Sorry, but did you actually read the OP?

Seymour M Hersh

I didn't want to read anything that suggests that Hearts fans are making excuses for a racist. That's how you worded your posts, and I'm not the only one who read them that way.

If that's not what you meant then fair enough, but that's how it came across.

No that's only how you read/interpreted it in in your rush to be outraged. :thumbsup:

No that's only how you read/interpreted it in in your rush to be outraged. :thumbsup:

ohmy.gif

How dare you?!

biggrin.gif

Ironically we are in agreement. But please don't go anywhere near the camp linesman thread you might spontaneously combust in indignation!! :D

Don't worry, I'm only selectively PC. The only thing I hate more than racists is those p...... :thumbsup:

Seymour M Hersh

Don't worry, I'm only selectively PC. The only thing I hate more than racists is those p...... :thumbsup:

Those dreadful plebs eh? :rolleyes:

What I really love about these threads are the posts that go -

"I'm not condoning xyz but...." and then do a fairly poor effort of trying to condone it

Great stuff :thumbsup:

if the guy in question did say those things then he is out of order but what i will say is that he is hearts daft and follows hearts all over the country and not many people on here would come up from liverpool on a cold wet wed night to watch hearts

Dean Winchester

if the guy in question did say those things then he is out of order but what i will say is that he is hearts daft and follows hearts all over the country and not many people on here would come up from liverpool on a cold wet wed night to watch hearts

So you're condoning racism because the guy travels 200 miles a week to follow Hearts? :blink: :blink:

That has no significance to his alleged comments. And if he was big enough to make the comments at the time then he should be big enough to take the deserved flak that comes his way.

I love the fact, that on this thread the bigot defenders have adopted their usual tactic of 'did you confront the guy', without reading the original post where maroonshrew states that he did in fact confront the alleged knuckle dragging bigot in question.

The Real Maroonblood

:whistling:

He is the same guy who limped on to the pitch at Gillingham, not quite an invasion.....Meet him most weeks in the BMC before the game...

What I really love about these threads are the posts that go -

"I'm not condoning xyz but...." and then do a fairly poor effort of trying to condone it

Great stuff :thumbsup:

Loving it :lol:

The guy's a stupid moron but as for those trying to excuse him...................... :rolleyes: What if he comes all the way from Brighton? Does he get an exemption and an OBE?

........sadly you know stewards and clubs will do absolutely nothing.

So you reported it to a Steward and to the Club, and they have done "absolutely nothing" about it?

I have a problem believing that. :unsure:

Jack Torrance

I see my boy's already commented.

I did hear what was being said. Totally disgusted but given the incompetence of the stewards and police in organising where everyone was to sit, I didn't think it would solve anything by reporting it to them at the time.

I'll get in touch with the club to complain. Regardless of how far he travels or how passionate he is about the club, there's no place for him here with that kind of nonsense.

If anyone wants to PM me with more details about him I'll happily take it to the club.

He was clearly from the Mersyside area, and had a walking stick. I'll be able to describe him to the club if needed.

I see my boy's already commented.

I did hear what was being said. Totally disgusted but given the incompetence of the stewards and police in organising where everyone was to sit, I didn't think it would solve anything by reporting it to them at the time.

I'll get in touch with the club to complain. Regardless of how far he travels or how passionate he is about the club, there's no place for him here with that kind of nonsense.

If anyone wants to PM me with more details about him I'll happily take it to the club.

He was clearly from the Mersyside area, and had a walking stick. I'll be able to describe him to the club if needed.

Get a life.

Get a life.

So let me get this right if someone doesn't do anything about it they get it tight, if they do say they are going to do something they need to get a life?

Wonderful

Guest C00l K1d

Get a life.

:lol:

What confuses me about this whole thing is, see back when the terracing was about (I'm not old enough to have been there) was the stuff shouted not x10 worse than n**ger being shouted twice?

Just seems a bit weird that there's all these cries for bring back terracing but after every game there's always something new about ''a guy shouted f*nian'' etc.

I'm not condoning what he said but cmon eh, I know you said you confronted him but taking this further than a ''shut the **** up you idiot'' seems a bit pathetic to me.

I'm not condoning what he said but cmon eh, I know you said you confronted him but taking this further than a ''shut the **** up you idiot'' seems a bit pathetic to me.

This

So let me get this right if someone doesn't do anything about it they get it tight, if they do say they are going to do something they need to get a life?

Wonderful

Get a life.

I have more reason to comment on this thread than most on here. As many of you must know by now, my sons are half-African. At one game the guy sitting in front of us shouted "black b*stard", at I think Kingston. I tapped him on the shoulder, pointed to my sons and politely asked if he minded watching his language. We got a very embarrassed apology from the guy - who I must admit has been good as gold since.

For me, in many instances, it is just a spur of the moment 'slip of the tongue' thing especially from the older generations when certain words that are frowned on today were common. Doesn't make it right, but words slip out when supporters get excited.

We should be able to handle it without a lynch mob. In most cases a polite word with the individual should suffice.

What confuses me about this whole thing is, see back when the terracing was about (I'm not old enough to have been there) was the stuff shouted not x10 worse than n**ger being shouted twice?

Just seems a bit weird that there's all these cries for bring back terracing but after every game there's always something new about ''a guy shouted f*nian'' etc.

Terracing is not racist in itself.

The whole world has changed, what was shouted and sung at the football twenty to thirty years ago, would probably get you jailed in this day and age. Most Hearts fans have changed in pace with the world, some have not, but the language used at the football is infinitely better than it was.

If you want an example of how things have changed, watch an episode of the 70's BBC sitcom "Love Thy Neighbour". That was good clean wholesome family viewing back then, but is cringingly embarrassing now.

Quote pinched from Ben Dover on the Scotsman thread. Different context, but still applies IMO.

Aye we can just ignore it I suppose, but remember...................

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing"

For me, in many instances, it is just a spur of the moment 'slip of the tongue' thing especially from the older generations when certain words that are frowned on today were common. Doesn't make it right, but words slip out when supporters get excited.

We should be able to handle it without a lynch mob. In most cases a polite word with the individual should suffice.

A voice of reason. :thumb:

i seen the guy you were talking about, i was sitting in front of him. i didnt hear him say any of this but im not calling you a liar, i think it is shoking what he said :down:

its outrageous that someone can come on here and make unproven allegations about someone so easily recognisable

if any of you lot went to the games you would no exactly who he is !

its outrageous that someone can come on here and make unproven allegations about someone so easily recognisable

Well said Mr General.

A voice of reason. :thumb:

Indeed, but I doubt you could reason with some Hearts fans who's Raison d'etre appears to be to vent their

spleen of a match day?

Drewjambobusby

The whole world has changed, what was shouted and sung at the football twenty to thirty years ago, would probably get you jailed in this day and age. Most Hearts fans have changed in pace with the world, some have not, but the language used at the football is infinitely better than it was.

If you want an example of how things have changed, watch an episode of the 70's BBC sitcom "Love Thy Neighbour". That was good clean wholesome family viewing back then, but is cringingly embarrassing now.

Nope still funny. I am sorry but things are said at football. Some are right some are wrong and some things said that the individual wouldn`t dream of saying outside the 4 stands of Pittodrie or Tynecastle. Now i personally wouldn`t use the word but wouldn`t get in a 2 and 8 about it being used either, at a football match.

I am actually beginning to hate how PC Football fans are becoming. This incident, where a young child was present i suppose is not such a good example of how to behave in general. But older fans, like myself heard far worse over the years and decided what path to take for ourselves.

It makes me sick how damn PC everyone has become , as i said football fans included. Was much more fun in the old days. Won`t be long before Hibbee Bar steward is frowned upon.

See, there are those words... those words that offend... 50 YEARS AGO WE'D HAVE STRUNG YOU FROM A TREE!

richards1106.jpg

Nope still funny. I am sorry but things are said at football. Some are right some are wrong and some things said that the individual wouldn`t dream of saying outside the 4 stands of Pittodrie or Tynecastle. Now i personally wouldn`t use the word but wouldn`t get in a 2 and 8 about it being used either, at a football match.

I am actually beginning to hate how PC Football fans are becoming. This incident, where a young child was present i suppose is not such a good example of how to behave in general. But older fans, like myself heard far worse over the years and decided what path to take for ourselves.

It makes me sick how damn PC everyone has become , as i said football fans included. Was much more fun in the old days. Won`t be long before Hibbee Bar steward is frowned upon.

Can you confirm that this post is just a long winded way of saying "I find the use of racist terms acceptable within the confines of a football stadium."?

So are you a 90 minute racist then? ermm.gif

Guest C00l K1d

Yeah I agree with that, I do understand the world has moved on but I think this has been taken a bit to far. Imo a simple stfu would suffice instead of taking it to the police/club.

And you would know, he is very likely to have said whats alleged !

Rudolf's Mate

A scouse with a walking stick?

Could be anyone....

Now this was amusing!

On a serious note. People say things at football matches and they tend to be in the heat of the moment. Sometimes some comments may be racist and sometimes for the person saying them it may be out of character. But that's no excuse really!

I was guilty as a youngster of shouting things at people at matches. I'm certainly no racist however you'd never see me shouting or making these remarks nowadays!

Guest John Meurig Thomas

I love how "KICKBACKERS DON'T GO TO GAMES" has become the slogan of the slow. Has it overtaken "Kickback's for arseholes" - you know, how it's so bad that you decide to sing about an internet forum at aways?

In response to your post I've been standing not too far away from this bloke for a good few years now I think, and I've only just become aware of him. You're not a somebody just because you attend matches. Plenty of people on here do and somehow manage to not use that as a badge of honour.

Drewjambobusby

So are you a 90 minute racist then? ermm.gif

Nope i am saying i don`t get wound up when some quotes come out and just get on with watching the game. I will admit there have even been some funny ones over the years.

In summing up for the defence. Get over yourselves and stop worrying about what others do.

Nope i am saying i don`t get wound up when some quotes come out and just get on with watching the game. I will admit there have even been some funny ones over the years.

In summing up for the defence. Get over yourselves and stop worrying about what others do.

Apologies. You are in fact condoning the 90 minute racist. I understand now blink.gif

Quote pinched from Ben Dover on the Scotsman thread. Different context, but still applies IMO.

Why stop there, you could of headed straight to the Nazi Germany post.

I love how "KICKBACKERS DON'T GO TO GAMES" has become the slogan of the slow. Has it overtaken "Kickback's for arseholes" - you know, how it's so bad that you decide to sing about an internet forum at aways?

In response to your post I've been standing not too far away from this bloke for a good few years now I think, and I've only just become aware of him. You're not a somebody just because you attend matches. Plenty of people on here do and somehow manage to not use that as a badge of honour.

Exactly, gets right on my chebs these people who are quite clearly losing arguements (most of the time) coming out with this absolute belter as a way of one-up-manship.

Who gives a toss if you go to the games? If you're a chieftain of the bells it makes no odds how you spend your saturday afternoons.

Archived