Racism rears its ugly head....again

maroonshrew

Before you panic, its not a completely predictable thread about 'naughty songs' etc. Ive started a similar thread previously when I wanted peoples views but a year on it seems things are even worse for racism at football.

Now, this isnt the debate of what is racist and what is not. In th epast i mentioned someone calling someone a 'black b**tard'. Some said that wasnt racist and just a descroption, some of us said it was unacceptable. This isnt that.

On this occasion I heard a guy say

"catch that little ni**er'

and

'dont let a ni**er do that to you' as Aluko skinned one of us.

Now, before some regular JKBers say "man up and say something and dont whinge to us'. something was said. The response was if you dont like it, move. A siimilar comment was made by a steward when i heard a woman voice similar complaint. What is most disappointing is that this guy is clearly a very popula rmember of the Hearts support, maybe even on here. Everyone seemed to know him, he was a scouse guy with a walking stick. Im no prude, i realise taking my nephew to football exposes hom to all sorts of swear words. Thats life and im ok with that. But surely this shouldnt be tolerated at football but sadly you know stewards and clubs will do absolutely nothing.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before you panic, its not a completely predictable thread about 'naughty songs' etc. Ive started a similar thread previously when I wanted peoples views but a year on it seems things are even worse for racism at football.

Now, this isnt the debate of what is racist and what is not. In th epast i mentioned someone calling someone a 'black b**tard'. Some said that wasnt racist and just a descroption, some of us said it was unacceptable. This isnt that.

and

Now, before some regular JKBers say "man up and say something and dont whinge to us'. something was said. The response was if you dont like it, move. A siimilar comment was made by a steward when i heard a woman voice similar complaint. What is most disappointing is that this guy is clearly a very popula rmember of the Hearts support, maybe even on here. Everyone seemed to know him, he was a scouse guy with a walking stick. Im no prude, i realise taking my nephew to football exposes hom to all sorts of swear words. Thats life and im ok with that. But surely this shouldnt be tolerated at football but sadly you know stewards and clubs will do absolutely nothing.

You should have kicked the wee bald scouse invalids stick away!!

Did you mention it at the time?

Yea like i say something was mentioned at the game as I knew this would be the first question. I believe a couple of people mightve.

MacDonald Jardine

No it's a completely predictable thread about naughty words.

So the N word is only considered a naughty word to you?

Classy stuff

and

Who...really...cares?

Who...really...cares?

I do, clearly. Im sorry if I am offended by someone using that word, that must make me weak.

As for it being a completely predictable thread, i just felt this was a bit different from 'f*nian blood' and the like. I felt it deserved a mention.

The Real Maroonblood

Your usual predictable response.

Yawn yawn.

Good shout. Naming someone on kickback.

**** him.

That should be the very least of his concerns if he's wandering around thinking it's OK to use words like that.

NAME AND SHAME!

and

OK, so you didn't report it to a steward, but someone else did, and got nowhere, right? Why not give the club the chance to prove you wrong, and report it to them? If this person is easy to identify, they may well be able to do something about it. Or you could report it to the police, if you think an offence was committed.

Nothing to do with being willing to "man up" or not. Well done for confronting him at the time (you did, right?), but reporting it the club and/or the police seems to be the only course of action that could possibly result in effective action being taken.

Isn't scouse a racist word as well? Uh uh?

Seriously?

Comparing the words scouse and n***er?

:thumbsup:

EDIT: And Scouse people are absolutely not a race. It's not even an offensive term.

Jambof3tornado

Report this directly to hearts. Can't be that many scousers with walking sticks that follow hearts and I have no doubt there will be a few on here that know and worship the guy.

Would he walk up to a coloured man in the street and call him a ******? Probably not,so let's not let racist vermin ruin our club!

Isn't scouse a racist word as well? Uh uh?

I expected a reply similar to this eventually. But oh my word. Are you for real?

Seymour M Hersh

and

Interesting that this is racist. If rappers refer to themselves and other African Americans as ni**ers does it lose it's racist connotation? After all if they are happy to refer to each other in such terms how can you/they or anyone accuse someone of racism by using that word?

As for the perp. I've known him for 30 years and he can let himself down occasionally.

Interesting that this is racist. If rappers refer to themselves and other African Americans as ni**ers does it lose it's racist connotation? After all if they are happy to refer to each other in such terms how can you/they or anyone accuse someone of racism by using that word?

So wrong it's unreal.

I don't even know where to begin.

As for the perp. I've known him for 30 years and he can let himself down occasionally.

Is Sone Aluko a rapper? Or an African American??

This thread seriously disappoints me. down.gif

The air of acceptance of this is quite disturbing in this day and age.

Seymour M Hersh

So wrong it's unreal.

I don't even know where to begin.

How exactly is it so wrong it's unreal? Am I incorrect in what i m saying? I'm not condoning it's use just stating a fact.

How exactly is it so wrong it's unreal? Am I incorrect in what i m saying? I'm not condoning it's use just stating a fact.

What does it have to do with someone directing the word toward Sone Aluko, though?

Scalding hot coffee!

It's the only language these people understand

The western worlds appetite for coffee is far more damaging to the world and mankind than this guy using a naughty word.

Ban coffee from football. :down:

Yes a minority of the American black population use this word casually to each other. And they are a constant disappointment to the black community who try to move away from it and have done for over a hundred years. See Chris Rocks famous comedy sequence. Sadly all this work seems to fall on deaf ears as many, not you by the way, see what was said at the game this afternoon as acceptable.

Seymour M Hersh

Is Sone Aluko a rapper? Or an African American??

Neither but I was plying devils advocate. What is your point? I'm not agreeing with the use of the word today and in the context it was used but just stating the confusion caused by those to whom it is supposed to be derogatory to using it to describe themselves and others of the same colour.

Some truly woeful posts on this thread.

If what the OP says is true, and I've no reason to disbelieve him, then I would strongly advise him to contact HMFC directly.

Dreadful post.

Seymour M Hersh

What does it have to do with someone directing the word toward Sone Aluko, though?

The OP was taking offence and in context correctly but in the wider context can there genuinely be a complaint if people who it is meant, by racists, to offend use it to describe themselves and others of the same race and colour?

Neither but I was plying devils advocate. What is your point? I'm not agreeing with the use of the word today and in the context it was used but just stating the confusion caused by those to whom it is supposed to be derogatory to using it to describe themselves and others of the same colour.

But I fail to see any confusion. As per the account in the original post, it was clearly used in an offensive manner towards a black British-born football player.

The use of the "N word" that you are refering to is absolutely irrelevant. The context it's being used in is entirely different, and in a culture that is pretty far removed from a cold October day at Pittodrie.

I live in the US, and the locals are regularly appalled by the use of the "C word" by me and my Scottish colleagues when speaking to each other. I would never dream of using it to address my girlfriend's mother, for example. I understand the difference.

i seen the guy you were talking about, i was sitting in front of him. i didnt hear him say any of this but im not calling you a liar, i think it is shoking what he said :down:

Seymour M Hersh

Yes a minority of the American black population use this word casually to each other. And they are a constant disappointment to the black community who try to move away from it and have done for over a hundred years. See Chris Rocks famous comedy sequence. Sadly all this work seems to fall on deaf ears as many, not you by the way, see what was said at the game this afternoon as acceptable.

You're probably correct in stating a minority but a very vocal and more crucially media loved minority. The issue for me is the lack of condemnation from the music industry, media and tbh the Jesse Jackson's of this world. They could have made it clear 30 years ago that it was an absolute no no but chose not to. I used to live in California in the late 70's and it was rife among young black males. In my opinion they have in some ways made a rod for their own backs. Personally I find it an abhorrent word and would not consider using it. I'm certainly not an apologist for the perp.

You're probably correct in stating a minority but a very vocal and more crucially media loved minority. The issue for me is the lack of condemnation from the music industry, media and tbh the Jesse Jackson's of this world. They could have made it clear 30 years ago that it was an absolute no no but chose not to. I used to live in California in the late 70's and it was rife among young black males. In my opinion they have in some ways made a rod for their own backs. Personally I find it an abhorrent word and would not consider using it. I'm certainly not an apologist for the perp.

Fair enough, but you're posts earlier seemed to be making excuses for him IMO.

Seymour M Hersh

But I fail to see any confusion. As per the account in the original post, it was clearly used in an offensive manner towards a black British-born football player.

The use of the "N word" that you are refering to is absolutely irrelevant. The context it's being used in is entirely different, and in a culture that is pretty far removed from a cold October day at Pittodrie.

I live in the US, and the locals are regularly appalled by the use of the "C word" by me and my Scottish colleagues when speaking to each other. I would never dream of using it to address my girlfriend's mother, for example. I understand the difference.

Miss the devils advocate bit then?

That's also how I interpreted it.

All pretty confusing, really. Firstly, he appears to start by suggesting that use of the word in the context reported in the original post can't be racist because some people of the same race as Sone Aluko use it in another context. Then, he seems to be suggesting the latter (eg "rappers and African Americans...young black males") should be condemned for their use of it. And that he finds the word abhorrent.

Seymour M Hersh

No they didn't unless you wanted to read it as some sort of excuse for the perp. Who, as I have mentioned I have known for 30 years and who, has imo let himself down on occasions.

Not that I condone racism but isn't it getting a bit late now for all you moral high ground, keyboard hard men? Church is but hours away?

So, the guy said something probably in the heat of the moment. Is it the worst thing in the world? Is it the worst thing in your world?

If the answer to either is yes, get out more.

Seymour M Hersh

That's also how I interpreted it.

All pretty confusing, really. Firstly, he appears to start by suggesting that use of the word in the context reported in the original post can't be racist because some people of the same race as Sone Aluko use it in another context. Then, he seems to be suggesting the latter (eg "rappers and African Americans...young black males") should be condemned for their use of it. And that he finds the word abhorrent.

I'm sorry I can't help your confusion.

No they didn't unless you wanted to read it as some sort of excuse for the perp. Who, as I have mentioned I have known for 30 years and who, has imo let himself down on occasions.

I didn't want to read anything that suggests that Hearts fans are making excuses for a racist. That's how you worded your posts, and I'm not the only one who read them that way.

If that's not what you meant then fair enough, but that's how it came across.

Archived