2 and a half hours!

JWL

Gregory House M.D.

I haven't watched this series at all admittedly, but if she is the hottest contestant left then they are struggling :unsure: maybe im just getting old but she looks like a skank.

Yes... she's pure filth... all the more reason to like her :thumbsup:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

X-factor. Bunch of nobodies doing nothing except exercise their vocal scales while murdering what were previously (well some anyway) half decent songs.

Can't imagine any of the contestants paying their dues with eight-hour sets in a sleazy club on the Reeperbahn with only pep pills to keep them going! Now who did that again......................?

beatl_beatles.jpg

exactly, the best bands come from years of hard work, where they started off playing gigs to small crowds in bars and clubs most would not be seen dead with, they spent so much of their time writing music for the next album, practising. Slowly they hope to get noticed, get signed up then preform to gigs and try to still bring out songs and albums that can improve on their previous.

X-factor portrays a world to impressionable youngsters that just turning up and singing well means you will be a star, yes you have a few weeks of hard work, but after that you get album and hey ho, you have made it. The singers in x-factor are mostly nice singing voices who can do generic pop (and occasional outside genres.) Will any X-Factor winner still be known well in ten years time?

X-factor sums up some attitude in society at the moment that we can get success without hard work, just because "its my dream, I had x bad thing happen to me, etc."

Yes... she's pure filth... all the more reason to like her :thumbsup:

no no no. pure filth in a "I will actually give you aids" sort of way is not sexy.

Gregory House M.D.

JiG,

Leona Lewis & Alexandra Burke. Do i win?

Gregory House M.D.

no no no. pure filth in a "I will actually give you aids" sort of way is not sexy.

I'm talking Pure Filth in a "Nothing a couple of tablets or an umbrella up your bellend won't fix" kind of way...

Gregory House M.D.

I take I'm the only one on here who "would" Katie Waissel? :ninja:

I'd also do the weasel but it would have to be dominatrix so i would only get manslaughter for strangling her with a skipping rope :thumbsup:

Konrad von Carstein

I'd also do the weasel but it would have to be dominatrix so i would only get manslaughter for strangling her with a skipping rope :thumbsup:

What a worrying turn of events :mellow::lol: :lol:

Gregory House M.D.

What a worrying turn of events :mellow::lol: :lol:

:lol: Could you put up with her for 6 mi... hours?

exactly, the best bands come from years of hard work, where they started off playing gigs to small crowds in bars and clubs most would not be seen dead with, they spent so much of their time writing music for the next album, practising. Slowly they hope to get noticed, get signed up then preform to gigs and try to still bring out songs and albums that can improve on their previous.

X-factor portrays a world to impressionable youngsters that just turning up and singing well means you will be a star, yes you have a few weeks of hard work, but after that you get album and hey ho, you have made it. The singers in x-factor are mostly nice singing voices who can do generic pop (and occasional outside genres.) Will any X-Factor winner still be known well in ten years time?

X-factor sums up some attitude in society at the moment that we can get success without hard work, just because "its my dream, I had x bad thing happen to me, etc."

Exactly. And for our resident Beatle hater, they were just one of any number of bands I could have cited. The WHo and Stones paid their dues, not to mention the Blues guys like Muddy Waters who inspired the latter. The likes of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones spent years as session musicians before the opportunity arose to form Led Zeppelin. Christ, Bon Scott started off as the bloody van driver for AC/DC before they made their first album.

However, this bunch of no-marks...............

Gregory House M.D.

Exactly. And for our resident Beatle hater, they were just one of any number of bands I could have cited. The WHo and Stones paid their dues, not to mention the Blues guys like Muddy Waters who inspired the latter. The likes of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones spent years as session musicians before the opportunity arose to form Led Zeppelin. Christ, Bon Scott started off as the bloody van driver for AC/DC before they made their first album.

However, this bunch of no-marks...............

You lost me at The Who...

Konrad von Carstein

:lol: Could you put up with her for 6 mi... hours?

Quite easily....she might to have a gag (or something) in her mouth for repeated periods of time though :sweat:

fixed :thumbsup:

Very funny, genuine LOL moment... :lol::thumbsup:

Gregory House M.D.

:vrface:

clearly you have absolutely abhorrent taste in music. :ermm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

I know who The Who are just not any of the rest he goes on to say. (the stones being an exception).

I listen to... Oasis, Kasabian, The Courteeners, Jamie T, Arctic Monkeys, Last Shaddow puppets, Libertines, Babyshambles, Kaiser Chief, Biffy Clyro, Paolo Nutini etc.

I'd say thats a pretty damn good taste in music.

I know who The Who are just not any of the rest he goes on to say. (the stones being an exception).

I listen to... Oasis, Kasabian, The Courteeners, Jamie T, Arctic Monkeys, Last Shaddow puppets, Libertines, Babyshambles, Kaiser Chief, Biffy Clyro, Paolo Nutini etc.

Never heard of Led Zeppelin? :down:

Bolded bands above are shite.

More like proof that you know nothing about music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4BOEf4Sy4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4BOEf4Sy4s

Arthur Morgan

You're taste in women is quite obviously horrific... She's skinny so she looks like a junkie?

It's quite obvious that it is your taste in women that is rank as everyone else shares the same opinion as me on her apart from you.

Gregory House M.D.

It's quite obvious that it is your taste in women that is rank as everyone else shares the same opinion as me on her apart from you.

I'm beginning to think it might be... :lol:

I was stating an OPINION not a FACT so to be honest... I couldn't give a flying ****... I don't like them and you do.

Did i miss them passing a law stating "Thou shall NOT by any means dislike The Beatles"?

I don't like them but they're definitely not over-rated. I can see why they were so popular, just not really my cup of tea.

Yes, yes you did. Now I'd retract that statement before the police are knocking at your back door.

Oh and as for Cher, :yucky:

I P Knightley

I would not have my way with Cher because she's clearly been well boabied.

But she's from Worcestershire so the chances are quite high that to date, it's only been by family members.

JiG,

Leona Lewis & Alexandra Burke. Do i win?

Seriously?

Is Alexandra Burke a big thing? I only ask because I saw her perform at half time at a rugby match last season where she was second on the bill behind Right Said Fred.

The Mighty Thor

Seriously?

Is Alexandra Burke a big thing? I only ask because I saw her perform at half time at a rugby match last season where she was second on the bill behind Right Said Fred.

:lol: Rock and Roll!

JamboInSouthsea

X-factor. Bunch of nobodies doing nothing except exercise their vocal scales while murdering what were previously (well some anyway) half decent songs.

Can't imagine any of the contestants paying their dues with eight-hour sets in a sleazy club on the Reeperbahn with only pep pills to keep them going! Now who did that again......................?

beatl_beatles.jpg

At The Top Ten Club if I'm not mistaken??? Was there not a club many moons ago in Edinburgh of the same name...which I remember going to during my shoegazing daze?

Hitman and Her was also essential viewing on a Friday or Saturday night on returning home pished as a fart. Mindless pap but good on the eye candy front.

BoJack Horseman

So many music snobs in this thread it's unbearable. You lot are like evangelical Christians when spouting your beliefs. The boy has a shit taste in music, so what? Leave him be. If he likes it then fine. He's not forcing you to listen to what he listens to. He's only 17, The Beatles are way past his era and as rife as their influence is in today's musical culture, the band as a whole are not relevant to this generation what so ever. I guarantee if you questioned 100 17 year old's, less than a third of them could name all 4 Beatles. That's just how it is.

Beatles were long since gone when I was very much younger (primary school age not 17) but that didn't stop me dusting off my Mum's old vinyl copy of "Hard Day's Night" and then wanting to investigate more after hearing it. Much welcome relief from the New Romantic crap that was plagueing the charts at the time.

BoJack Horseman

Beatles were long since gone when I was very much younger (primary school age not 17) but that didn't stop me dusting off my Mum's old vinyl copy of "Hard Day's Night" and then wanting to investigate more after hearing it. Much welcome relief from the New Romantic crap that was plagueing the charts at the time.

That's 3 decades ago. Things have changed a hell of a lot since even then. We're now in the age of the internet where anyone can be a singer. Nowadays there's no need to dust off old vinyl because you can just fire up Youtube and listen to whatever you want. Likewise we have iTunes and Spotify and acts like The Beatles won't licence their music to these service restricting their access to this generation even further. Teenagers are no longer interested in a 60s pop group. Such as life.

That's 3 decades ago. Things have changed a hell of a lot since even then. We're now in the age of the internet where anyone can be a singer. Nowadays there's no need to dust off old vinyl because you can just fire up Youtube and listen to whatever you want. Likewise we have iTunes and Spotify and acts like The Beatles won't licence their music to these service restricting their access to this generation even further. Teenagers are no longer interested in a 60s pop group. Such as life.

Cobblers. Younger relations of mine have sought them out as well as other groups from that era. After all, there seemed to be vast cross-reference of age brackets at McCartney's recent Hampden gig - ditto when I saw The Who a few years back. Robert Plant's solo gigs attract folk who weren't even born when Led Zeppelin disbanded. You mention Youtube but the same principle still applies to my digging out my Mum's vinyl collection as a boy. Folk still have to dig to find stuff whether it be good or bad. But back to the X-factor numpties, as Lemmy (who has been touring and recording since the late 60s and still going strong given that Motorhead's Glasgow gig of last year was packed out with rock vets and teens) said in this month's Classic Rock, "it should be mandatory for new artists to do two or three years on the road before making their first record".

Cobblers. Younger relations of mine have sought them out as well as other groups from that era. After all, there seemed to be vast cross-reference of age brackets at McCartney's recent Hampden gig - ditto when I saw The Who a few years back. Robert Plant's solo gigs attract folk who weren't even born when Led Zeppelin disbanded. You mention Youtube but the same principle still applies to my digging out my Mum's vinyl collection as a boy. Folk still have to dig to find stuff whether it be good or bad. But back to the X-factor numpties, as Lemmy (who has been touring and recording since the late 60s and still going strong given that Motorhead's Glasgow gig of last year was packed out with rock vets and teens) said in this month's Classic Rock, "it should be mandatory for new artists to do two or three years on the road before making their first record".

I was at the McCartney gig in Hamburg last year. The age range was massive, from about 5 to 95. I remember thinking how lucky the youngsters were to be so priviliged in witnessing a legend in concert. The Beatles will be discussed in musical circles for decades to come, such is their influence on music and these wee buggers will grow up having the right to say 'I seen a Beatle'. It is very similar at The Bootleg Beatles gigs, infants to grandads all revelling in a thoroughly enjoyable event. Maybe there will be a FYD tribute band in years to come..............then again, maybe not.

Arthur Morgan

I can't believe that you would actually expect us 17 year olds to hunt down the Beatles albums and listen to them, things just don't work like that anymore, accept it.

I really couldn't care about the Beatles and how good they were tbh. That's my opinion.

I didnt get into the beatles until a relatively late age (21) but they really are tremendous. Any kid who would rather listen to Xfactor crap on youtube than the beatles is a ******* idiot.

Arthur Morgan

Yes just like most people on this thread who pretend that they are watching it because they have no choice (girlfriends etc.)

I prefer the auditions though as they are funny and a good laugh.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I listen to The Beatles just about every day yet I still don't mind the X-Factor.

Really pisses me off when folk get on their high horse about shows like this. It's a mildly entertaining talent competition - what is the problem? It's cool to hate it though, I get that. At the very least it is getting young people into some sort of music. Surely that is a good thing, no? I'd imagine they'll grow out of Leona Lewis etc but still have a taste for music and then discover the better stuff that is around.

Funny thing is, everyone on the X Factor is infinitely more talented than anyone on this thread. Maybe that is where the seeth comes from? :thumbsup:

Arthur Morgan

I listen to The Beatles just about every day yet I still don't mind the X-Factor.

Really pisses me off when folk get on their high horse about shows like this. It's a mildly entertaining talent competition - what is the problem? It's cool to hate it though, I get that. At the very least it is getting young people into some sort of music. Surely that is a good thing, no? I'd imagine they'll grow out of Leona Lewis etc but still have a taste for music and then discover the better stuff that is around.

Funny thing is, everyone on the X Factor is infinitely more talented than anyone on this thread. Maybe that is where the seeth comes from? :thumbsup:

This 100%.

I don't listen to The Beatles though as I have mentioned above but I don't mind 'Yesterday' and of course 'Hey Jude' for obvious reasons! :thumbsup:

This 100%.

I don't listen to The Beatles though as I have mentioned above but I don't mind 'Yesterday' and 'Hey Jude' for obvious reasons! :thumbsup:

Once your baws drop you'll get into good bands. :thumbsup:

The seeth comes from ******* nuggets treating these shows like they are the most important thing in the world. We are at the point where the people who run our country are actually being asked about who they like best on the Xfactor. Who actually gives a flying **** what Gordon Brown or David Cameron thinks of Joe McElderry?!?!

If you want to listen to jumped up karaoke that's totally cool, I'm more pissed off at the *******s who discuss it everywhere I go like its in any way significant :angry:

jamboinglasgow

The seeth comes from ******* nuggets treating these shows like they are the most important thing in the world. We are at the point where the people who run our country are actually being asked about who they like best on the Xfactor. Who actually gives a flying **** what Gordon Brown or David Cameron thinks of Joe McElderry?!?!

If you want to listen to jumped up karaoke that's totally cool, I'm more pissed off at the *******s who discuss it everywhere I go like its in any way significant :angry:

agreed. Also if it was just another of many genres shown and youngsters knew there is different kinds of genres but the problem they are getting raised with generic pop. Its not just X-factor, Disney channel is trying all it can to ruin kids view on music. Just listen to the music in High School Musical, Hannah Montana, Band Camp and it is soul destroying music. But kids buy it thinking it is the kind of music they should listen to. X-factor dominates as well.

How many times has that happened? Once IIRC. It's all over the redtops everyday but that's what you get for reading that pish. :thumbsup:

agreed. Also if it was just another of many genres shown and youngsters knew there is different kinds of genres but the problem they are getting raised with generic pop. Its not just X-factor, Disney channel is trying all it can to ruin kids view on music. Just listen to the music in High School Musical, Hannah Montana, Band Camp and it is soul destroying music. But kids buy it thinking it is the kind of music they should listen to. X-factor dominates as well.

Suppose there is a case for arguing that it's a very cynical show and exploits kids and all that but then most stuff on the TV is there for a purpose and that is usually to sell stuff.

What I want to know is what sort of music you were brought up on, JiG? I'd imagine it was stuff like the Spice Girls etc? The mainstream of the time is always going to be what kids hear most of but the whole beauty of music is you develop your own tastes over time and choose what you want to listen to. I don't think the generation being brought up on X Factor will listen to shite covers their whole life because of it and if they do then they were probably doomed from the start anyway.

Can I just say now I'm not some sort of X Factor super fan and I'm rarely in to watch it on a Saturday night.

Gregory House M.D.

Any of the older guys on here like a bit Mumford & Sons?

Arthur Morgan

Once your baws drop you'll get into good bands. :thumbsup:

Thing is I do like good bands. I actually dislike most of the music that the contestants sing on the X Factor believe it or not.

I watch it simply because It's a talent competition and I just think it's interesting to see who wins as imo some of them are actually very good singers even if they do sing a load of crap. Most of them can sing better live than alot of artists out there although there has been rumours of auto tune being used. I think though that they said for the live shows that they wouldn't be using it.

I can't believe that you would actually expect us 17 year olds to hunt down the Beatles albums and listen to them, things just don't work like that anymore, accept it.

I really couldn't care about the Beatles and how good they were tbh. That's my opinion.

Well I was eight when my own hunt began. And besides, I'm not bowing down to the bland just because you say so.

BoJack Horseman

Exhibit B.

BoJack Horseman

This happens with all popular TV shows though, such as life. Pretty sure after The Inbetweeners has aired all you're hear is about how funny it was. Now, I imagine that someone who doesn't enjoy that show would not appreciate that chat. Likewise, people will talk about the X-Factor. Like it or not it's one of the biggest programmes on the telly these days and people are going to talk about it.

You sound like you're a torn faced old bugger with that chat :lol:

jamboinglasgow

This happens with all popular TV shows though, such as life. Pretty sure after The Inbetweeners has aired all you're hear is about how funny it was. Now, I imagine that someone who doesn't enjoy that show would not appreciate that chat. Likewise, people will talk about the X-Factor. Like it or not it's one of the biggest programmes on the telly these days and people are going to talk about it.

As someone who can't stand the inbetweeners and keeps having people tell me how amazing it is this is true. I am like Cartman in the family guy episode of south park.

Arthur Morgan

Well I was eight when my own hunt began. And besides, I'm not bowing down to the bland just because you say so.

When you were 8 you were 18 years closer to The Beatles era than I was though (If 1974 is your Date Of Birth)

When did I ask you to bow down to 'the bland' as you call it?

Seems more like to me that you are forcing 17 year olds to like The Beatles in the year 2010... <_<

When you were 8 you were 18 years closer to The Beatles era than I was though (If 1974 is your Date Of Birth)

When did I ask you to bow down to 'the bland' as you call it?

Seems more like to me that you are forcing 17 year olds to like The Beatles in the year 2010... <_<

Well you do seem to be quite vocal on steering the young 'uns away from the proper stuff. I'm just making folks aware that there is better music out there than the manufactured, saccharine-laced tripe that the X-factor churns out.

BoJack Horseman

Well you do seem to be quite vocal on steering the young 'uns away from the proper stuff. I'm just making folks aware that there is better music out there than the manufactured, saccharine-laced tripe that the X-factor churns out.

I don't think he's doing that at all. Just looks like he's confirming what I was saying in that today's youth just aren't interested in The Beatles. I'll go as far to say as the same applies to Elvis. These musical pioneers just don't hold as much weight as they used to. They'd rather listen to a 16 year old sing love songs that he didn't write. It's a sad fact but a fact nonetheless.

Archived