Greatest Sportsman of all time?

chester copperpot

Ryan Gosling

I remember reading that the yellow jersey wearer is tested after every stage, as well as stage winner etc.

Armstrong had the yellow jersey for something like 63 days overall. You'd think he'd have been caught once.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember reading that the yellow jersey wearer is tested after every stage, as well as stage winner etc.

Armstrong had the yellow jersey for something like 63 days overall. You'd think he'd have been caught once.

The French public believe that the drugs he was taking for his cancer masked other substances. Mind you most of them hate him anyway.

Ali.but the best ever Brit is Sir Steve Redgrave.

Does he count.Brilliant athlete but won all his medals as a team player.On the cycling issue,shame that two great champions have this drug shame despite never been proven.

chester copperpot
Good call but I think my good self just shades it.

Mj, Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus.

I P Knightley
Snooker is not a sport, it is a pastime that has been made popular by TV, snooker players cannot be mentioned in the same context as great sportsmen such as Ali, Pele etc.

I saw an old "They Think It's All Over" last week where Jonathan Ross said 'if you can play it on your way from the snug bar to the bogs, it's not a sport. First bit of sense the man's spoken in a long time.

So that's darts & snooker out.

Honestly don't know where to put my vote. Against my four favourite sports:

Rugby: John Rutherford from a Scottish angle; Phil Bennet world

Tennis: JP McEnroe

Golf - Seve was great in making the game attractive to kids and schemies but Tiger's head and shoulders above anyone.

Football - Neil Berry. End off. ;)

What was the name of IJs alter-ego boxing world champ - surely he must've been the greatest?

It's very difficult to pick out one sportsman when what they do and how they do it is so different.

Ali

Lance Armstrong

Sir Steve Redgrave

George Best

Tiger Woods

Wayne Gretzky

deesidejambo

Cycling is a boring sport. That is why Europeans like it. Almost as boring as speed-skating.

Steve Redgrave? I'd rather watch beach volleyball than rowing.

Both the above sports require little skill and are all down to brute strength and stamina. People go into these sports only because they don't have the skill to do proper sports, like football or tennis.

My vote goes to Robbie Nielsen.

I P Knightley
Cycling is a boring sport. That is why Europeans like it. Almost as boring as speed-skating.

Both the above sports require little skill and are all down to brute strength and stamina. People go into these sports only because they don't have the skill to do proper sports, like football or tennis.

Same could be said for most sports!

It's getting down to a head vs head between Robbie Neilson and Chuck Berry. Unmissable stuff!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
dude, lance had cancerous cells in his brain, lungs, body, and testicles during his career! its a miracle the guy survived, he had brain surgery, numerous bouts of chemo and still came back, that's why his feats are so legendary

..................and he's shagging Kate Hudson.

Respect.

:dribble:

Ty Cobb

Ali

Jesse Owens

Mark Spitz

Greatest Scot - Gordon Smith - wins league titles with 3 clubs without lowering himself to play in the weege.

crazy_jambo_2006

Redgrave is our greatest ever British Olympian. OK, it's a team sport, but he won 5 consecutive Gold medals for goodness sake (with different team members). The bloke had to keep himself in top condition for 20 years. The bloke also had diabetes, which would've made winning gold at the 5th Olympics even harder, I assume.

Also Ali is the greatest ever imo. The man was unbelievable. He was such an entertainer, an awesome champion and one who stuck to his beliefs despite it costing him 2 or 3 years of his prime.

I remember Ali said in a cafe somewhere someone had said "we don't serve n....." Ali replied "I don't eat them either, so that's ok".....or words to that effect.

[/b]

Does he count.Brilliant athlete but won all his medals as a team player.On the cycling issue,shame that two great champions have this drug shame despite never been proven.

crazy_jambo_2006

Greatest Scot - Ken Buchanan, Sandy Lyle etc.

Or Jim Baxter, Jinky Johnstone etc.

Ty Cobb

Ali

Jesse Owens

Mark Spitz

Greatest Scot - Gordon Smith - wins league titles with 3 clubs without lowering himself to play in the weege.

crazy_jambo_2006

So cycling and rowing are not "proper" sports???!!!!

Unbelievable. Rowing's probably the most energy sapping sport going.

Also somehow I doubt Redgrave took up rowing just because he couldn't play football very well! Maybe he didn't want to play football?

Just because a sport is deemed "boring" by some people, doesn't surely mean that the athelete's achievements are any less significant?

------------------

Miller Jambo 60
I couldn't pick one from all the sports out there. Sports are so different and each of the following was a great for different reasons. I couldn't complain if any of the following was voted the greatest;

Steve Redgrave

Muhammed Ali

Lance Armstrong

Carl Lewis

Tiger Woods

David Federer

Pele

Don Bradman

Wayne Gretzky

Martin Johnson

Special mention to one Zibi Malkowski

Tiger Ali and Robbo:107years: