Greatest Sportsman of all time?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

Who's your's? Please give your reasons.

Mines has to be Michael Jordan, though I think Tiger could overtake him before I am dead.

Reason for Jordan is that he made me gasp when I watched him in a slam dunk competition during the All stars game back in '87.

That man could genuinely fly.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who's your's? Please give your reasons.

Mines has to be Michael Jordan, though I think Tiger could overtake him before I am dead.

Reason for Jordan is that he made me gasp when I watched him in a slam dunk competition during the All stars game back in '87.

That man could genuinely fly.

Ali for me........However agree TW will become the greatest ever......

chester copperpot
Daley Thompson

You're joking right.

Not even the greatest decathlete.

Plus anyone who cant remember the words to the national anthem should never be considered as great ;)

christhejambo

I agree with Ali, however i would consider Woods as the greatest my generation. There have been some other great sportmen in recent years too, if you look at Jordan, Schmuacher, Federer, Redgrave... I reckon Woods will eventually overtake Nicklaus, and Snead-the guy is just head and shoulder above everyone at the moment.

Bert Le Clos

I couldn't pick one from all the sports out there. Sports are so different and each of the following was a great for different reasons. I couldn't complain if any of the following was voted the greatest;

Steve Redgrave

Muhammed Ali

Lance Armstrong

Carl Lewis

Tiger Woods

David Federer

Pele

Don Bradman

Wayne Gretzky

Martin Johnson

Special mention to one Zibi Malkowski

I couldn't pick one from all the sports out there. Sports are so different and each of the following was a great for different reasons. I couldn't complain if any of the following was voted the greatest;

Steve Redgrave

Muhammed Ali

Lance Armstrong

Carl Lewis

Tiger Woods

David Federer

Pele

Don Bradman

Wayne Gretzky

Martin Johnson

Bjorn Borg would trash him :)

At one time many years ago Denis Compton was dubbed with that title because of his success at the highest levels in more than one sport, football and cricket. Of course as stated that was many years ago.

Ali is the first name to spring to mind but for me its Lance Armstrong.

Absolutely unbelievable achivements

chester copperpot
who is david federer?

Roger's older brother, apparently he's barry at tennis too :laugh:

Edit, damn it, Julio beat me to it

chester copperpot
Ali is the first name to spring to mind but for me its Lance Armstrong.

Absolutely unbelievable achivements

What just because he lost a nut?

FWIW Miguel Indurain could've kicked his ass.

jamboinheaven

Steve Redgrave

Muhammed Ali

Lance Armstrong

Carl Lewis

Tiger Woods

David Federer

Pele

Don Bradman

Wayne Gretzky

Martin Johnson

who is david federer

who is david federer?

Dave Federer's a mate of mine who works part-time at Asda Milton Road.

He's never held a tennis racket in his life, which is why I ventured Borg would trash him .

chester copperpot
Dave Federer's a mate of mine who works part-time at Asda Milton Road.

He's never held a tennis racket in his life, which is why I ventured Borg would trash him .

Haha, fantastic comeback.

I like.

Ryan Gosling

and maybe the 7 tours?

Bert Le Clos
Bjorn Borg would trash him :)

Aye but the real question is would he beat Roger? ;)

My mistake with the name, total brain freeze! But I don't think Borg would beat Federer (Roger that is).

Bert Le Clos

Their records are comparable, although Armstrong won 7 Tour de France's to Indurain's 5.

So when you couple this with Armstrong "losing a nut" as you so tastefully put it, plus the treatment on tumours in his brain and lungs I say Armstrong is better.

chester copperpot
Their records are comparable, although Armstrong won 7 Tour de France's to Indurain's 5.

So when you couple this with Armstrong "losing a nut" as you so tastefully put it, plus the treatment on tumours in his brain and lungs I say Armstrong is better.

Didnt realise he had probs with his brain and lungs.

Sorry, did sound a ******ish my post after reading it again

Ryan Gosling
Didnt realise he had probs with his brain and lungs.

Sorry, did sound a ******ish my post after reading it again

dude, lance had cancerous cells in his brain, lungs, body, and testicles during his career! its a miracle the guy survived, he had brain surgery, numerous bouts of chemo and still came back, that's why his feats are so legendary

Lance Armstrong has to up there with the rest of the greats.

Won the Tour De France 5 times, overcoming bollock cancer on the way.

no he made an arse of it there s no way back x

Sorry, was a bit too subtle with the smilie / earlier post.

I do recognise the difference between Roger & David Federer.

Lennox Lewis was also a great.

He beat every fighter he was put up against.

If you knocked him out, he'd get an instant rematch and take you out at least two rounds earlier than you knocked him out the first time.

Fair enough, the Super-Heavyweight division was utter pap when he was around but you can't take away the sight of him humiliating Mike Tyson twice, and utterly creaming one of the Klitschko brothers.

Aye but the real question is would he beat Roger? ;)

My mistake with the name, total brain freeze! But I don't think Borg would beat Federer (Roger that is).

Easily done...and many say Federer IS the greatest sportsman ever.

Imho he peaked during an era with restricted competition .whereas Borg fought off challengers destined to become the games best, including McEnroe who many say was the greatest talent EVER on court.

Given a 50/50 playing field - Federer vs Borg - my money would be on Borg.

jamboinheaven
Easily done...and many say Federer IS the greatest sportsman ever.

Imho he peaked during an era with restricted competition .whereas Borg fought off challengers destined to become the games best, including McEnroe who many say was the greatest talent EVER on court.

Given a 50/50 playing field - Federer vs Borg - my money would be on Borg.

how is that easily done greatest sportsman ever and cant get name right come on?

how is that easily done greatest sportsman ever and cant get name right come on?

What's your opinion on Federer ® vs Borg ?

shaun.lawson

1. Muhammad Ali

2. Edson Arantes di Nascimento

3. Don Bradman

To me, the 'greatest' implies not just excelling at a particular sport, but actually transcending it: becoming famous all over the world, and possibly playing a role in politics or cultural change too. Certainly, this all applies to Ali: technically, Joe Louis was surely a better fighter, but Ali had something much more. The same applies to Pele v Maradona: you could easily argue that El Diego was the greater player individually - but football's a team game, and Pele, like Ali, inspired (and continues to inspire) a certain warmth and love from those who meet him way in excess of Maradona.

I'd also question whether Tiger Woods or Roger Federer can be mentioned until they've overtaken Jack Nicklaus and Pete Sampras' totals for Grand Slams. It's highly likely both will; but invariably, the GOAT can only be awarded when looking back at someone's career, rather than in the middle of it. As for Lance Armstrong: either he accomplished the greatest sporting miracle in history, overcoming cancer before going on to dominate surely the toughest, most demanding sport known to mankind - or he did what Miguel Indurain, Bjarne Riis, Marco Pantani, David Millar, Floyd Landis and many, many others were all guilty of.

It is very, very difficult to believe in the legitimacy of Armstrong's achievements given they were at a time of endemic, instutionalised doping within the sport. I wish it wasn't this way, but there will always be a huge question mark hanging over him in the record books. His close relationship with and continued support of the utterly notorious Dr Michele Ferrari, who stands accused of advising hundreds of top cyclists on how to avoid detection of EPO in blood testing; countless stories in the press accusing him of various instances of cheating (most recently in the Los Angeles Times in Summer 2006), and the fact that, following Armstrong's retirement, the man who replaced him as leader of his team, Landis, immediately won and was then stripped of Le Tour after testing positive do not exactly strengthen Armstrong's case.

shaun.lawson
What's your opinion on Federer ® vs Borg ?

A very good question. On grass: Federer in five. On clay: Borg in four. On hardcourts... Federer in a fifth set tie break.

A very good question. On grass: Federer in five. On clay: Borg in four. On hardcourts... Federer in a fifth set tie break.

Woods would beat them both with any golf club you want.:)

Used to be Ali until Woods came along.Last night just confirmed it.That 20 odd foot putt to win a tournament and the way he putted it just confirmed for me that he is the best ever.He also started the weekend 7 strokes back.Never gives up.Tries his best every hole no matter what position and has took his sport to another level.

Woods would beat them both with any golf club you want.:)

Used to be Ali until Woods came along.Last night just confirmed it.That 20 odd foot putt to win a tournament and the way he putted it just confirmed for me that he is the best ever.He also started the weekend 7 strokes back.Never gives up.Tries his best every hole no matter what position and has took his sport to another level.

Sounds just like Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicholas :)

However... you're right - Woods is the gretaest golfer ever, he has dominated the game at a time when competition from others has been fierce. Thirty/Forty years ago, there was really only Player, Palmer & Nicholas. To dominate the sport today, with breakthroughs in technology and with the whole world playing, is some feat.

chester copperpot
Sounds just like Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicholas :)

However... you're right - Woods is the gretaest golfer ever, he has dominated the game at a time when competition from others has been fierce. Thirty/Forty years ago, there was really only Player, Palmer & Nicholas. To dominate the sport today, with breakthroughs in technology and with the whole world playing, is some feat.

Its Nicklaus mate. Jack Nicklaus.

Lennox Lewis was also a great.

He beat every fighter he was put up against.

If you knocked him out, he'd get an instant rematch and take you out at least two rounds earlier than you knocked him out the first time.

Fair enough, the Super-Heavyweight division was utter pap when he was around but you can't take away the sight of him humiliating Mike Tyson twice, and utterly creaming one of the Klitschko brothers.

I'm a big fan of Lennox Lewis, but when did he cream one of the Klitschko brothers? I remember him beating Vitali due to cuts (which still to this day is the worst cut i've seen in a boxing bout), but he was losing that fight at the time of the stoppage.

No doubt about that, so much so that he suddenly saw immediate retirement as a good idea rather than a rematch. As I said, I rate Lewis as an All Time Great Heavyweight, but Vitali had his number that night and would have won.

Archived