John Robertson: Hearts manager

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

What happened with Robbo in his seven month spell as Hearts manager?

What were you thoughts on the team at the time?

How does season 04/05 compare to now?

Some results to jog the memory:

Hearts 0 Shalke 1

Basle 1 Hearts 2

Motherwell 3 Hearts 2 (AET)

Ra Sellik 0 Hearts 2

Hearts 1 Hibs 2

Andy Davies XI 2 Hearts 1

...and something involving the pope.

Thoughts?

I personally found him quite likeable, but he did get himself into a few scraps here and there. He made way for Burley, which was fair enough, but I think we should've held on to him in some way. Pity how it ended for the guy.

Buffalo Bill

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I laughed when he kicked the Fenervaros (sp) manager after a UEFA Cup game!

Thought he could have done a decent job, we certainly passed the ball a bit better.

Once again, a football man is treated badly by the bosses though.

The Hearts job arrived too early for him. I would love to see him back at Tynecastle as the assistant manager to someone with loads of experience and charisma.

I don't think that will happen, however.

He found it hard to control his passion for the club as was shown v the Hungarians.

He was the manager at an unfortunate time for him personally and fate (being kind to the corrupt Andy Davis) conspired against him. He also had some terrible players at his disposal.

He should have stayed at the club, possibly being the new manager's (Burley) no.2 as was offered and he would probably have had his shot of being the first team manager again.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll be a coach of some sort at Hearts again.

Drylaw Hearts

I think he'll be back one day.

I can understand VR's decision to ask him to step aside though as he didn't have the experience to lead a challenge to the OF.

A better option than Rix, Valdas, Malofeev, Romanov, Korobochka, Cerenkov and Frail imo.

Gigolo-Aunt

Never really rated him as a manager before he came to us, was quite peeved off that he bacame Hearts manager as I just seen it as a move to keep the fans happy.

One or two decent results mixed with some really poor performances and results. Has done a piece of wandering about in his managerial career already has Robbo - had the sack quite a few times as well (something all managers get) in a short period of time.

Sounds harsh, but would not want him back at Hearts in any role.

Billy Bigtime

In that seven month period, when Robbo was in charge, I played in a charity game at Tynecastle and had a one to one conversation with him in the dressing room for about 10-15 minutes whilst everyone was out looking at the pitch. He told me a couple of very interesting things which I relayed on here and was treated to the usual barrage of scepticism and abuse form the usual posters, who think they own the board and that only they can know what goes on at Tynecastle.

One of them was that he knew for a fact that he would not be there long.

In that seven month period, when Robbo was in charge, I played in a charity game at Tynecastle and had a one to one conversation with him in the dressing room for about 10-15 minutes whilst everyone was out looking at the pitch. He told me a couple of very interesting things which I relayed on here and was treated to the usual barrage of scepticism and abuse form the usual posters, who think they own the board and that only they can know what goes on at Tynecastle.

One of them was that he knew for a fact that he would not be there long.

Would be interested to hear what else he said.

I like Robbo and obviously he is a legend to the club. However he came straight after Levein who was a very forward thinking manager in terms of preparation etc. So his teams never looked as organised or fit. I'm not sure he could do a job for us as manager. I would imagine however CL could as he seems like the type of guy who would be able to pull together a squad of different nationalities.

Ryan Gosling

Robbo wasn't ready for Hearts but he tried to play football to begin with, and started to get a bit of form out of Wyness. Miller, Burchill and Miko were also very good signings at the time.

Can't disagree with Tazio.

He was right after Levein who impressed me a lot and so I was fairly unimpressed with Robbo.

Thought he was an embarrasment as manager. Constantly moaning and clearly did not have a tactical head on his shoulders.

The 2-0 game at Parkhead though was one of the best Hearts performances i've seen. Really passed them off the park that day.

1-0 up at home to Hibs and then losing 2-1...coffin, final and nail.

We were excellent in that 1st half, thought Jason Thomson was excellent as well in the 1st half.

No idea what happended in that second half...either did Robbo I guess.

I seem to remember Leveins style of football was quite defensive and, at times, pretty dull to watch. Robbo adopted a more attacking style which was certainly a bit more exciting.

Combine the two and we'd have a great manager!

Billy Bigtime
Would be interested to hear what else he said.

There were things like, he told me that Perierra and another player were definitely out of there, (can't remember who the other was). It proved to be correct.

The best part of the discussion was when I noticed a boombox up on the shelf which runs round the dressing room. I jokingly said to him, why not switch that on and see if Byshovets appears? (This was after the incident where Byshovets appeared in the dressing room after a European game and turned the music off). Robbo said, "he could too! He just appears around the place and you never hear him coming, it must be the KGB training. When I first met him I never realised who he was.............until he knocked me to the floor and stubbed his fag out on my face!!"

He was pretty down about the situation he was in, having taken the job (which he felt he couldn't not take) and discovering how it was going to be, with Romanov's puppets around the place calling the shots. He was pretty cynical and perhaps shouldn't have been telling half the things he did. We had met a couple of times before so I guess he felt familiar.

The Hearts job arrived too early for him. I would love to see him back at Tynecastle as the assistant manager to someone with loads of experience and charisma.

I don't think that will happen, however.

Agree on all counts.

Never really rated him as a manager before he came to us, was quite peeved off that he bacame Hearts manager as I just seen it as a move to keep the fans happy.

One or two decent results mixed with some really poor performances and results. Has done a piece of wandering about in his managerial career already has Robbo - had the sack quite a few times as well (something all managers get) in a short period of time.

Sounds harsh, but would not want him back at Hearts in any role.

Think that is pretty harsh.

If Frail has a role at Hearts then surely Robbo is capable as well.

Robbo set up meetings with Stamp and McKenna to discuss a new contract and then did not showing up to that meeting which was unprofessional in my eyes.

Gigolo-Aunt
Think that is pretty harsh.

If Frail has a role at Hearts then surely Robbo is capable as well.

Im a harsh man, Alan.

vlad on the tyne

the brand of football under robbo is compareable to what is being served up just now.

rank rotten

made some good signings and played a good style of football, the front two of miller and burchill was dangerous and i think if he got mcnamee and burton o'brian from livi they would have been good for us. Wasn't very tactically aware and we did seem to lose a bit of the determination that levein had built in his spell.

I think a mixture of leveins side which was hard to beat and very phsical and robbo allowing the front payers to express themselves a bit more would have worked very well

Im a harsh man, Alan.

Fair enough!

I always thought Robbo looked rough as hell every time he gave an interview.

Frail also looks scruffy a lot of the time (have a shave and put a suit on)

Ironically George 'the alky' Burley :rolleyes: always looked pretty smart and on the ball.

EDIT: I just remembered Robbo tried to sign Stevie Crawford. I agree, lets not have him back!!!

Gigolo-Aunt
Fair enough!

I always thought Robbo looked rough as hell every time he gave an interview.

Frail also looks scruffy a lot of the time (have a shave and put a suit on)

Ironically George 'the alky' Burley :rolleyes: always looked pretty smart and on the ball.

TBH, mate. As a whole, dont really rate Robbo that highly as a manager. Has floated about a few clubs now, and apart from ICT, none of it has ended that well.

Just dont see what he has to offer Hearts on a managerial/number 2 roll.

It does come across as harsh, we all love him for what he done for the club as a player - he deserves a great amount of respect for this. We cant be too sentimental (sp) though.

Frail is starting out, dont believe for one second that he is the answer for first team manager, thats a position that NEEDS sorting out pronto. Lets hope that things are in place on that score.

If the new man will have it, Frail IMO has done enough in his short spell to earn the chance to be kept on at his number 2.

If it IS Mcghee its worth noting that his number two Scott Leitch was brough in by John Boyle and not himslelf - so its maybe something that McGhee will be willing to accept, rather than demanding who his number 2 will be.

I've defended Robbo to the hilt against anyone who says he failed at Hearts. His perfomance at other clubs is up for debate but tbh I couldn't care less about ICT or Derry City. Poor guy never had a chance at Hearts.

He arrived right at the end of the piemans tenure so the club was in upheaval. Still during that time we beat Basle away. Say what you want, that was an AMAZING result.

The Romanov deal was finalised and Robbo was given the green light to make signings on something like 30th January by which time Levein had taken MDV and Maybury to Leicester and tapped Kisnorbo, who we never saw after that really. Thankfully, with one day of the transfer window to go Robbo already had Burch and Miller lined up. He chose Miko and Chesney from about 20-30 Lith's (we are led to believe) as well as Kiszys (sp) who had a blinder at Parkhead.

He told the rest of the Lithuanian's they were not good enough. I'd be interested to know how many Lith's we have seen and think are pish that he rejected???

Also a little known fact is that Robbo was at least partly (around 90%) responsible for Hartley staying beyond Jan 2005. Apparently Hartley stormed into Robbo's office stating that if he didn't get his move to Celtic he would never play for Hearts again. Robbo said fine and told him to come back and apologise when he was ready but he was NOT moving to Celtic with his blessing. Hartley was dropped for two games and did apologise because Robbo stuck to his guns. The rest (including the SF hat-trick) is history. That story came from Robbo via a man who was on his testimonial committee and was probably the only time Vlad backed him.

Gig and others are entitled to their opinion and I'm not saying they are wrong. I just think we never had long enough to judge Robbo as a Hearts manager. We had good and bad days but Hearts always have had that.

In my opinion Robbo is just like Shaggy. Better than the likes of Chernakov but a standard below Levein and Jeffries.

I thought he was tactically naive and even though he is a legend was glad that he was replaced.

Would love him to work under a new (Quality) manager if/when he comes.

Ray Winstone

As much as we all wanted him to do well for the club etc - I really did not see anything from him which suggested he was a good long term option as manager.

If he had not left we perhaps would not have even had that one special season under Burley!

I wish he had stayed on as number 2 to Burley as I thought he could have learned so much, however he obviously chose to leave as he is a proud man.

I heard that they players did not enjoy his training regime as he was a player with so much natural ability he did not put a lot of emphasis on that side of things.

Would welcome him back to Tynie in some sort of coaching role along side Frail. I just dont think he is ever going to be a brilliant manager.

As much as we all wanted him to do well for the club etc - I really did not see anything from him which suggested he was a good long term option as manager.

If he had not left we perhaps would not have even had that one special season under Burley!

I wish he had stayed on as number 2 to Burley as I thought he could have learned so much, however he obviously chose to leave as he is a proud man.

I heard that they players did not enjoy his training regime as he was a player with so much natural ability he did not put a lot of emphasis on that side of things.

Would welcome him back to Tynie in some sort of coaching role along side Frail. I just dont think he is ever going to be a brilliant manager.

Pretty much agree with all you say Willins re Robbo and a future role at the club. :)

I've defended Robbo to the hilt against anyone who says he failed at Hearts. His perfomance at other clubs is up for debate but tbh I couldn't care less about ICT or Derry City. Poor guy never had a chance at Hearts.

He arrived right at the end of the piemans tenure so the club was in upheaval. Still during that time we beat Basle away. Say what you want, that was an AMAZING result.

The Romanov deal was finalised and Robbo was given the green light to make signings on something like 30th January by which time Levein had taken MDV and Maybury to Leicester and tapped Kisnorbo, who we never saw after that really. Thankfully, with one day of the transfer window to go Robbo already had Burch and Miller lined up. He chose Miko and Chesney from about 20-30 Lith's (we are led to believe) as well as Kiszys (sp) who had a blinder at Parkhead.

He told the rest of the Lithuanian's they were not good enough. I'd be interested to know how many Lith's we have seen and think are pish that he rejected???

Also a little known fact is that Robbo was at least partly (around 90%) responsible for Hartley staying beyond Jan 2005. Apparently Hartley stormed into Robbo's office stating that if he didn't get his move to Celtic he would never play for Hearts again. Robbo said fine and told him to come back and apologise when he was ready but he was NOT moving to Celtic with his blessing. Hartley was dropped for two games and did apologise because Robbo stuck to his guns. The rest (including the SF hat-trick) is history. That story came from Robbo via a man who was on his testimonial committee and was probably the only time Vlad backed him.

Gig and others are entitled to their opinion and I'm not saying they are wrong. I just think we never had long enough to judge Robbo as a Hearts manager. We had good and bad days but Hearts always have had that.

Well said. A combination of Levein planning for a year to leave the club and the need to reduce the wage bill from the high level it stayed at all the way through Levein's time meant that the squad was thread bare by the time Robbo got there.

He had the good defence Levein left of Gordon, Neilson, Pressley and Webster and he had Hartley. He also had a bunch of journeymen like McFarlane (don't mean that as an insult to a good player for us) and guys like Stamp who couldn't give a monkeys. He got buttons to play with in his one transfer window but did bring in Lee Miller who did a good job for us. He picked the best of the Lithuanian players available - as you say we've seen the rest he was given the choice of since.

Some tremendous results - such as away to Basle. And excellent tactical performances - such as the Davies game.

I would be delighted to see Robbo back rather than our current managerial morass.

chester copperpot

The moment he went out with his club card and blew ?300 on boozing was the last straw for Romanov (If correct), after the loss against hibs.

Romanov thought he was too unproffesional and a bit too fond of the old Manto Revvy.

Didn't really have an opinion on him as a manager.

It was interesting how Robbo got the best out of Lee Miller. It probably says a lot about his footballing mentality.

Robbo's image in the media was poor, often scruffy & frequently hungover never sat well with me.

He didn't really got a fair chance at the job, which given what has happened since may be a good thing. We don't need another 'Ex employee is a judas ****' debate!

I liked him as manager and i felt rotton about the way he was treated as he was loving it up in Inverness and bought a house up there,then left coz he couldnt say no to us,and we go and treat him like that

When he was appointed I was disappointed, not because it was Robbo, but because I thought that Robbo wasn't ready for Hearts.

I also thought that it was a cynical last throw of the dice by CPR to appease the fans.

I'd love to have him back at Hearts in some capacity.

When he was appointed I was disappointed, not because it was Robbo, but because I thought that Robbo wasn't ready for Hearts.

I also thought that it was a cynical last throw of the dice by CPR to appease the fans.

I'd love to have him back at Hearts in some capacity.

Yup, classic ploy to take the heat off himself.

Robbo wil always be welcome at Tynie as far as I'm concerned tho' ( guest or future employee ) and the depth of feeling for the guy is there for all to see any time he makes an appearance.

However, as they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day and one or two performances dont really say much ( even under SF we managed to outwit Rangers 4-2 the once ) and I reckon his managerial record may have relied more on the groundwork of previous managers ?

i thought the team moved forward very well with him in charge. it was refreshing to see us have an attacking side after years of defending. he had the team scoring goals, only they leaked them badly too. he went in with a typical strikers attitude which was the opposite of leveins.

i think if any side had them both together with robbo as the assistant they could be onto a winner.

What happened with Robbo in his seven month spell as Hearts manager?

What were you thoughts on the team at the time?

How does season 04/05 compare to now?

Some results to jog the memory:

Hearts 0 Shalke 1

Basle 1 Hearts 2

Motherwell 3 Hearts 2 (AET)

Ra Sellik 0 Hearts 2

Hearts 1 Hibs 2

Andy Davies XI 2 Hearts 1

...and something involving the pope.

Thoughts?

I personally found him quite likeable, but he did get himself into a few scraps here and there. He made way for Burley, which was fair enough, but I think we should've held on to him in some way. Pity how it ended for the guy.

Buffalo Bill

He was offered the chance to stay and he said 'No'.

Ray Winstone
He was offered the chance to stay and he said 'No'.

Pride comes before a fall.

Archived