Traumatic endings

Baird, King and Michael

Baird, King and Michael

Is it just me or do we seem to have endured more than our fair share of traumatic endings to cup ties over the years?

Getting beat is one thing?but to lose in the fashion we did last night just seems to magnify the pain.

Last night reminded me it was almost 15 years to the day that we suffered in a similar game at Dens in the League Cup (4-4 then lose on pens) and Falkirk?s goal brought back memories of the 1-2 semi at Hampden in 88, away to Dunfermline in 07 and the Motherwell semi at Easter Road. (Add to that penalty losses against Airdrie (92), Celtic (89) and Ross County.)

In a way, although I was proud of the fightback last night I?d have felt better if we?d just been mediocre and lost 0-2.

I'm happier that we lost the way we did last night than playing poorly and losing 2-0. At least it gave us SOME joy.

As soon as the draw for this C.I.S Cup second round draw was made, I knew that the chances of our progression in this year?s competition were slim to none.

Late goals for Falkirk surprised me not one bit. I hate being a pessimist but empirical evidence leaves me with no choice.

Falkirk away might as well have been Celtic away. In fact, there are recent substantiations to suggest that Celtic away in this competition ranks as a decent chance to get through.

Here?s my hypothesis:

Smaller teams that lie within reasonable proximity to Hearts would rarely finish about us in the League over 38 games. The reason being is that we?re bigger and generally better than them over the course of a grim, bog-standard Scottish league season.

But in a cup competition, the rules change, and the margins shift. These teams see us as a scalp, and the small superiority were have over them isn?t enough to carry us through against teams who give it ?110%?. Do our players even give it 100%? Do our players ever have the stomach for a battle?

Falkirk, as they did to us in 2009, 2002, 1993 raise their game in the cups.

Just like how Dunfermline has seen us off in 1997 and 2007.

Or Dundee in 1993 and 2003.

Or Livingston in 2005

We can?t seem to raise our game back. Our players get caught out time and time again.

We?ve played in around 95 domestic cup competitions since October 1962, winning just two. For the ?third biggest team? in the country: that?s a disgrace.

Is it just me or do we seem to have endured more than our fair share of traumatic endings to cup ties over the years?

Getting beat is one thing?but to lose in the fashion we did last night just seems to magnify the pain.

Last night reminded me it was almost 15 years to the day that we suffered in a similar game at Dens in the League Cup (4-4 then lose on pens) and Falkirk?s goal brought back memories of the 1-2 semi at Hampden in 88, away to Dunfermline in 07 and the Motherwell semi at Easter Road. (Add to that penalty losses against Airdrie (92), Celtic (89) and Ross County.)

In a way, although I was proud of the fightback last night I?d have felt better if we?d just been mediocre and lost 0-2.

Only Hearts could have played out last nights sequence of events. <_< Seen it happen so mant times over the years as you said, and have to say was waiting for it to happen again last night when we went 3-2 up. <_< Still find it hard to take in though this morning. :mellow:

Reminded me of the Semi final against Motherwell at Fester, think it was 04/05. Manage to score 2 goals in the last 5 minutes to force extra time only to throw it away (and I mean throw it away, Jamie MacAllister I'm talking about you) in the last minute of extra time.

Archived