Fears grow for Dundee (NHC)

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Fears-grow-for-Dundee-as.6541582.jp

Not that I'd crow given the fact we rely on one man, but I've never been a fan of Dundee. I'm sure all we Jambos can relate to statements like "Dundee were pipped to promotion by Inverness after sacking manager Jocky Scott - when Dundee were top of the league by three points - and replaced him with Gordon Chisholm", though.

Quality Colemanballs from Alan Kernaghan too. "It would be unthinkable for the unthinkable to happen but that's football. We've seen it many times before."

The People's Chimp

That Melville is a right ****. His proclamations in the papers before the start of last season "I've spent more on this suit I'm wearing than most SPL clubs have on players" showed him up to be somewhat lacking in class, and that coupled with his traitorous rejection of aberdeen plus this walk out means most clubs will be glad he went nowhere near him when he was looking for a club to get involved in with his piss poor vanity project.

the guy melville is a conman....my mate is on the board at cosalt and a few months ago they noticed dodgy dealings with certain contracts and things not right with the finances.

he has since handed in his notice with cosalt but that wont be the end of the matter from what ive been told

wouldnt surprise me if things come out in the coming weeks with his dealings with dundee that are dodgy

tartofmidlothian

That Melville is a right ****. His proclamations in the papers before the start of last season "I've spent more on this suit I'm wearing than most SPL clubs have on players" showed him up to be somewhat lacking in class, and that coupled with his traitorous rejection of aberdeen plus this walk out means most clubs will be glad he went nowhere near him when he was looking for a club to get involved in with his piss poor vanity project.

Not to mention this one:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/dundee-director-calum-melville-faces-grilling-over-planned-bid-for-dundee-united-s-scott-robertson-1.928974

Thats a shame for Dundee.

Melville seems like a total crook. Funny how the papers have not investigated him at all but most journalists try to dig up as much dirt as possible of Romanov and find nothing.

Must be frustrating being a Hootsman journalist.

Melville is a Dons fan and tried to buy his way on to the board at Pittodrie. Unfortunately he is a known con-artist up there and was given short shrift.

Wasn't a real surprise when he turned out to be the latest new saviour at a club which seems have a boardroom that is a haven for crooks and misfits.

It's a club with a long and proud history, but the many dodgy administrations of the past 30 years or so have changed many peoples impression of them. So much so, that if they do go to the wall, I'll be firmly in the camp that says "**** them"

We did well in the nineties at a previous financial crisis at Dens when we bought McCann and Hamilton on the cheap. Maybe once again, we'll be one of the first vultures to pick at this festering carcass of a club.

what not a shame.

**** them.

meanwhile 'mad vlad' continues to run hearts from a position of professionalism and integrity, against a backdrop of unwarranted abuse, while other chancers continue to flit in and out of the game and add nothing of any real value.

edit - by rights this should act as a wakey wakey call to all of the 'anyone but vlad' brigade who would happily allow us to be taken over by fly-by-nights.

the grass isn't always greener...

Francis Albert

I've never understood the hatred of Dundee just because they didn't lie down to us in 1986. I also saw them beat us at Tynecastle in a match that ultimately cost us the title in 1965. In each case there was no-one to blame but ourselves (and maybe for the first St Mirren). I hope Dundee will survive and I expect they will.

No great lover of this mob but, in terms of their crowds and tradition, I would rather they survived and got into the SPL than dross like Hamilton and ICT.

tartofmidlothian

I've never understood the hatred of Dundee just because they didn't lie down to us in 1986. I also saw them beat us at Tynecastle in a match that ultimately cost us the title in 1965. In each case there was no-one to blame but ourselves (and maybe for the first St Mirren). I hope Dundee will survive and I expect they will.

One afternoon in 1999 that'll go down in infamy as 'The Mo Berthe Game' also sticks in my mind.

Spanky makes a good point, that parts of the media seem to view Vlad as some kind of dodgy-dealing Eastern European quasi-mafia shyster, a big-mouthed crackpot, but that other home grown regimes from Murray down haven't come in for nearly as much stick. It's the boardroom level of the 'good honest Scottish laddies' argument.

They should have neutron bombed Dundee after 86. I will shed no tears. To those jute skanks who rejoiced in our defeat I hope you enjoy watching United.

They turned up at Tynecastle a couple of years ago with a banner that read " Were you crying in '86?"

Had the roles been reversed i'm sure we'd never bring it up. There are three clubs to blame for '86. St. Mirren, Celtic and Hearts.

Had the roles been reversed i'm sure we'd never bring it up. There are three clubs to blame for '86. St. Mirren, Celtic and Hearts.

agreed 100%,they were going for europe that day

We probably wouldn't because I think we are a bit bigger and better than that.

As you say, three clubs to blame for '86. Which makes it worse when Dundee start twisting the knife.

Feck them.

As you say, three clubs to blame for '86. Which makes it worse when Dundee start twisting the knife.

Feck them.

tbf any dundee fans ive come across wouldve rather hearts won that day,yes there is a few who rub it in but that would happen at any club

Feck them.

Agreed. Have a white cross thing. :)

ToadKiller Dog

Haha.

**** Dundee.

I hope their stadium burns down and wish them nothing but utter misery.

Dundee dont own a stadium to burn down , its owned by a Dundee United supporter and former United board member think his name is Bennett , i think at the moment they are rent free .

A big part of Dundee's problem is that they cant get an overdraft due to little assets and a poor credit history thanks to when the Mario brothers

made a mess of them .

As much as i dont like the Dee hope the survive as they are a proper football side but it is amusing .

Feck them.

"Bigger and better than that" at the start and "feck them" by the end? :whistling: I'm not touching that.

I do agree we're bigger than that. Had we, innocently enough, stopped dundee winning the league 20 years ago i doubt it would cross anyone's mind to make a banner twisting the knife; we have bigger fish to fry, what with requiring a new banner every year the hibs get knocked out the scottish. I don't know that we're better than that though, without getting into specifics, as someone will always defend the indefensible, there have been several times when the hearts support have sunk lower than merely highlighting another team's failure.

Jam Tarts 1874

Can't understand why people would want Dundee to go out of business. They are an old club with a fair bit of history and potential, the game is dying as it is without clubs of Dundee's size going under.

Hearts lost the league in 1986, it was our fault.

Just out of curiosity, how many clubs have nearly went down the sh i tter since the school of hobonomics started predicting out demise?

I'm thinking Mudderwell, Livingston - now Dundee looking grim. Anymore..??

Totally agree.

I was there in 1965 too . . .

I wouldn't like to see any club go to the wall let alone a decent sized club like Dundee.

At least they have some history and fans.

It'd be a shame for a club to go bust, but in the (long) long term it could be a good thing.

If Dundee became a one club city, it could be good for Utd in years to come.

They obviously wouldn't get too much of any current Dee fans, but the future generations of fans could be Arabs.

Francis Albert

It'd be a shame for a club to go bust, but in the (long) long term it could be a good thing.

If Dundee became a one club city, it could be good for Utd in years to come.

They obviously wouldn't get too much of any current Dee fans, but the future generations of fans could be Arabs.

So you think if Hearts went under the future generations of fans would be Hibbies? (or vice versa).

So you think if Hearts went under the future generations of fans would be Hibbies? (or vice versa).

If Hearts went under - i'd rather they became Hibbies than Old Firm fans.

It would probably take decades for it to really have an effect, if it were to.

Had Wallace Mercer took over Hibs - we'd possibly be at a stage now where youngsters in Edinburgh would happily support the one main team in the city.

agreed 100%,they were going for europe that day

I've never hated them for that day, my venom went to st lydoon and cheatin' tics, they (dundee)were after all wanting a win and hopeing the huns would get beat fot a place in euro.

If Hearts went under - i'd rather they became Hibbies than Old Firm fans.

It would probably take decades for it to really have an effect, if it were to.

Had Wallace Mercer took over Hibs - we'd possibly be at a stage now where youngsters in Edinburgh would happily support the one main team in the city.

there is only one main team in the city

Governor Tarkin

They should have neutron bombed Dundee after 86. I will shed no tears. To those jute skanks who rejoiced in our defeat I hope you enjoy watching United.

Excellent terminology. Have some cred.

Excellent points but common sense posts don't get no cred before the 6pm watershed. :)

For 1965, 1986, 1995, 2004, countless other horrible defeats (especially at Dens, where we couldn't buy a win for donkeys' years), and continual instances of delusions of grandeur on their part, Dundee FC can lick my ring. :thumbsup:

ROMANOV FAN CLUB

The BBC investigation on him is on Thursday night, BBC2 if anyone is interested.

dry.gif

Wonder how they will portray him on BBC wonder if they will find some marine workers who has stolen from to invest in Dundee,

or poor footballers who won't be able to feed their family's due to him promising money and doing a runner

Still there is no one in Scottish Football who is worse a owner than Boyle of Motherwell a man who has ran up ?10 million of debt, then put club in administration so he didn't have to pick up his tab, and then bought them back for a quid, and still has the brassneck to complain about others clubs not paying him what he's due pmsl

Still sure the BBC will use this programe to get a dig in at Vlad

Excellent points but common sense posts don't get no cred before the 6pm watershed. :)

And if i said that i was posting in Bangkok....?

Wonder how they will portray him on BBC wonder if they will find some marine workers who has stolen from to invest in Dundee,

or poor footballers who won't be able to feed their family's due to him promising money and doing a runner

Still there is no one in Scottish Football who is worse a owner than Boyle of Motherwell a man who has ran up ?10 million of debt, then put club in administration so he didn't have to pick up his tab, and then bought them back for a quid, and still has the brassneck to complain about others clubs not paying him what he's due pmsl

Untrue. Think Katie Boyle lost about ?11m on Motherwell! They were only one of a bunch of British clubs to exploit admin loopholes at the time; and while it sticks in my craw too, I don't think we're in a position to lecture anyone else on financial behaviour. We just got lucky; and there but for the grace of God go all football clubs.

Dundee could cease to exist tomorrow with no consequence to all but a handful of deeply ugly, mustachioed half-wits.

The city or the football club.

Feck them.

Dundee could cease to exist tomorrow with no consequence to all but a handful of deeply ugly, mustachioed half-wits.

The city or the football club.

Feck them.

Amen, joke club.

MacDonald Jardine

SL is right. John Boyle's company was the main creditor of Motherwell and they wrote of the debt so that others were paid and the club survived.

I don't blame Dundee for winning in 86.

I do blame them for celebrating in the ground afterwards (even when they knew Rangers had won), lining the streets as the buses left and banging on about it every time we've played them since (fortunately not too often now).

**** them.

Dundee are "debt free" according to jim spence on radio scotland.

They will be able to cope.

They may be debt free, but they have no money and no overdraft facility. How will they pay wages?

IMHO I know they have a proud history, but they screwed that up in the Marr and Bonetti years paying over the odds for star players like Canniggia. Creditors in Dundee, ie innocent tradesman, went to the wall because of these cheating *******s spending money they never had. They still drive around in big Mercs and have holiday villas in Spain while the sparkies and joiners all suffered. Bet the companies that got 2p in the pound are wishing Dundee all the best because of their history and fan base. Aye right...

The BBC investigation on him is on Thursday night, BBC2 if anyone is interested.

dry.gif

What programme is that on? Nothing showing on the listings for BBC2 Scotland on Thurday...or is on Newsnight?

Archived