User name changes

Ulysses

User names on JKB  

227 members have voted

1. 1. How often should subscribed members be able to change their user names?

• It's OK as it is - once a month
    • Once every two months
    • Once every three months
    • Once every six months
    • Once a year
    • Never
    • Members should be able to change their names MORE often
    • WTF?!? I never noticed people could do that....

Anyone who is genuinely bothered about other members changing their username has to be a torn faced old wreck of a life.

Well said that man.

Whoever he was. :D

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because we may actually make a decision based on this thread, we thought it should get some more exposure, so we're moving it to the Terrace.

More opinions and votes welcome.

Everything's fine. There's a display name history on people's profiles that takes two seconds to check if you get confused. I don't get why people should have to stick with their name if they wish to change it.

This :thumbsup:

Nice to see this thread on the Terrace, but should the poll not be restricted to subscribed members only? It's a privilege of the subscribers, so the decision should rest with them IMHO :ermm:

Why would any fine upstanding JKB member want to change their username? Surely not because they were rude to someone once!

No and anyone who would do that is pretty pathetic.

Majority of folk who change their name either do it for a laugh or because they regret their original choice and want something new.

I still fail to see what the big deal with folk changing their names is but then again everyone needs something to moan about no matter how trivial

The People's Chimp

I do find it fairly annoying, but then I have to qualify that with the fact that I changed my username for the duration of the world cup, so perhaps a little hypocritical.

But then hypocrisy is the lifeblood of JKB. :thumbsup:

EDIT: can I also say that you should ban the embedding of youtube videos in people's signatures. It's totally unnecessary and takes up far too much space.

Francis Albert

Leave as it is. It's only a message board. Some people take it too seriously. Getting concerned about "reputation" and "trolling?" (whatever exactly trolling is). Why?

Leave as it is. It's only a message board. Some people take it too seriously. Getting concerned about "reputation" and "trolling?" (whatever exactly trolling is). Why?

trolling post imo.

How do you change your user name? I would like to shorten mine.

Obviously, I don't have a problem with it.

Just to clarify the findings so far.

66 people are in favour of some sort of name change system depending on timescale

51 people are not in favour of any namechange

6 have St Johnstone'd.

Keep things as they are, or maybe increase the frequency for members.

Seems annoying for the folk that change their name to a joke one, but have to keep it for ages before they can go back.

Just leave it as it is. If people want to change their names then let them.

Hardly ground-breaking stuff :whistling:

Just to clarify the findings so far.

66 people are in favour of some sort of name change system depending on timescale

51 people are not in favour of any namechange

6 have St Johnstone'd.

or just to clarify - a huge majority (60%) want the name change restricted to once a year or less often and by far the biggest single vote is to stop name-changing altogether.

linkin- hearts

I don't see myself as a change-aholic but i would at least still prefer to have the option to do so if i so choose:thumbsup:

I haven't a clue what this shapeshifting is all about. huh.gif Those that are on my Ignore List are still there regardless of what they wish to call themselves.

I voted NEVER cause I do not see the need to change a user name, although there must be a few that are embarrassed by theirs. But whatever, those that feel the need should be given the ability to do so. Anyway, I generally respond to the posting not the poster.

What I find more annoying is people who have large pictures as their signature which makes any thread twice as long and means the same picture appears over and over again.

Not mentioning any names of course but certain insects that are attracted to the light spring to mind whistling.gif

What I find more annoying is people who have large pictures as their signature which makes any thread twice as long and means the same picture appears over and over again.

Not mentioning any names of course but certain insects that are attracted to the light spring to mind whistling.gif

THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS.

Guest JamboRobbo

Agree with leginten. I think people who change name do it because they may have upset alot of folk or had a spell of coming across as a bawsack. Like we all probs have at some point. Live or die by one name thats what I say! For instance, wheres alan partridge? I had a handbags moment with him a while back but not seen that name pop up for a while.

Agree. Some have the balls to stand by what they say, whether it was right or wrong. Others talk a load of pish then change their name.

Guest GhostHunter

Thankfully - you were quite mothtastically specific in your point.

Which is good.

Agree. Some have the balls to stand by what they say, whether it was right or wrong. Others talk a load of pish then change their name.

While the rest of us talk a load of .................. and stand by our names!!!:whistling:

Jam Tarts 1874

I voted for once a year to allow people who made bad/regrettable decisions to change their name. Anyone who is stupid enough to change their name to another bad/regrettable name should have to wait a year as punishment for being stupid.

Not really a fan of name changes but felt it best I change mine incase the vote KO's the option to in future!

Old user name was a nickname from years ago and only a handfull of folk actually still use it, have my reasons for the name change but doesn't have anything to do with how people see me on here tbh!

Hackney Hearts

I think it makes sense to allow the occasional change, if only for the sake of someone who picks a topical name. I can see how "Andy Webster Is God" might feel a change would be a cool option.

Similarly, I've moved from Hackney to Highbury, and should really update....

I think 6 months would be appropriate.

I know I keep going on about this and apologies for the sig but for all the people who claim folk are changing their name due to getting in arguments with folk and looking stupid give a couple of examples

gets more on my tits when the first three respondents to an already long OP feel the need to quote the thing in its entirety. a fekn pain in the hoop when you're browsing on a mobile.

Thought there was an option to turn off viewing signatures, might be making that up, anyone confirm ?

gets more on my tits when the first three respondents to an already long OP feel the need to quote the thing in its entirety. a fekn pain in the hoop when you're browsing on a mobile.

that really fecks me off angry.gif

Why would any fine upstanding JKB member want to change their username? Surely not because they were rude to someone once!

Maybe because they got overly excited about a new signkng and ended up stuck with the name Beslija the Bullet for years! :)

Thought there was an option to turn off viewing signatures, might be making that up, anyone confirm ?

Confirmed! Have sigs switched off, less chance of getting caught on JKB at work!

Not really a fan of name changes but felt it best I change mine incase the vote KO's the option to in future!

I don't know that we'll be removing the option. If we make any change we'll give members as much advance notice as we can.

I know I keep going on about this and apologies for the sig but for all the people who claim folk are changing their name due to getting in arguments with folk and looking stupid give a couple of examples

Still waiting :rolleyes:

Here's the solution.

•  
  • Anyone who thinks that username changes are annoying should not be allowed to change their name
  • Anyone who wants to change their username repeatedly should be allowed to do it every 3 seconds
  • Anyone who has no strong opinion on the matter either way should be put to sleep

Job done.

Confirmed! Have sigs switched off, less chance of getting caught on JKB at work!

Would appreciate assistance in doing this.

Roughly translated : Idiots guide to switching off sigs please smile.gif

John Gentleman

I realise it's a bit off-topic, but Id like to see a poster's location re-introduced (if the poster chooses). I'm 12000 miles away in Australia. Any posts I make could potentially be misinterpreted because of this current limitation. Something along the lines of...."clearly you weren't at the game yesterday". Get the drift?

Would appreciate the views of fellow expat JTs.

Guest JamboRobbo

Would appreciate assistance in doing this.

Roughly translated : Idiots guide to switching off sigs please smile.gif

Click on your username in the top right. This should bring up a little menu.

Choose the "My Settings" option. This should bring up a screen with options like Settings, Forums, Profile etc along the top.

Click on "Forums". You should now see some tick boxes, one of which is "View members' signatures when reading topics?".

You'll be wanting to untick that box, then click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the screen.

Click on your username in the top right. This should bring up a little menu.

Choose the "My Settings" option. This should bring up a screen with options like Settings, Forums, Profile etc along the top.

Click on "Forums". You should now see some tick boxes, one of which is "View members' signatures when reading topics?".

You'll be wanting to untick that box, then click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the screen.

Cheers JR thumbsup.gif

By far your best post of the day biggrin.gif

Cheers JR thumbsup.gif

By far your best post of the day biggrin.gif

Agreed, but only because it saved me from having to work out how I done it in the first place! :thumbsup:

I see no issue with doing it though as a paid up member I think it should be limited to once every 12 months. There should also be some way of viewing previous names in the profile of the person.

Have been wanting to change my for sometime so better get my finger out then!

Archived