User name changes

Ulysses

User names on JKB  

227 members have voted

1. 1. How often should subscribed members be able to change their user names?

• It's OK as it is - once a month
    • Once every two months
    • Once every three months
    • Once every six months
    • Once a year
    • Never
    • Members should be able to change their names MORE often
    • WTF?!? I never noticed people could do that....

We're having a discussion about facilities for subscribed members (see here) and one thing that has cropped up several times is the issue of user name changes.

Currently, our settings allow subscribed members to change their display name every 30 days, but several members have said they find the frequent changes annoying or off-putting.

What do you think? Should we reduce the number of name changes allowed? Or remove the facility altogether? Or are things fine as they are?

Ulysses

Administrator

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it should be a feature for Paid Members, definitely. But would agree that it does get annoying when posters do it frequently.

We're having a discussion about facilities for subscribed members (see here) and one thing that has cropped up several times is the issue of user name changes.

Currently, our settings allow subscribed members to change their display name every 30 days, but several members have said they find the frequent changes annoying or off-putting.

What do you think? Should we reduce the number of name changes allowed? Or remove the facility altogether? Or are things fine as they are?

Ulysses

Administrator

I do find it thwarting to have built up a simmering resentment of a poster over the years only to find myself being pleasant to him once he's changed his name. Something needs to be done.

:verymad:

Everything's fine. There's a display name history on people's profiles that takes two seconds to check if you get confused. I don't get why people should have to stick with their name if they wish to change it.

Although I think the the rule should be every fifteen days.

Just to piss some folks off.

:)

I do find it thwarting to have built up a simmering resentment of a poster over the years only to find myself being pleasant to him once he's changed his name. Something needs to be done.

does ignore not work on name changers?

Uly, what will happen in regards to a name change and the predictor league? When i do change my name will I put my old (this name) in my predictions so you know it's still me. Just if i do change name, not exactly a popular cat on here so not much people will notice anyway :teehee:

Keep it, not as if it's hard to click on someone's name and check their name history and fail to see how it encourages trolling.

and no it's not because i'm preparing for my next name change

Uly, what will happen in regards to a name change and the predictor league? When i do change my name will I put my old (this name) in my predictions so you know it's still me. Just if i do change name, not exactly a popular cat on here so not much people will notice anyway :teehee:

Doesn't matter - the Predictor Massive will hunt you down and extract your predictions anyway. :thumbsup:

and no it's not because i'm preparing for my next name change

When you change your name, are you able to remember all the details of what happened in your previous user name? Or do you have to get a hologram to tell you what's going on? :unsure:

Doesn't matter - the Predictor Massive will hunt you down and extract your predictions anyway. :thumbsup:

Sounds painful, I'd agree at being able to change every 3 to 6 month, say every 4 months.

Thanks.

And I'll try actually posting a sodding poll in a minute. :lol:

No worries, just keeping you on your toes :lol:

Also, would there be any way of adding in a line somewhere in a profile that someone has recently changed their name?

I don't think its a good feature, and there is a reason I've never seen it on other forums.

Some posters go out trolling and change their visible identity once they have built up a substantial number of enemies. If the facility is to exist at all, it should be controlled by the discretion of moderators and perhaps only be allowed once.

If you have spent a while building up a good reputation, why would you need to change your forum identity?

Aye! That ###### Ivanawfyticklikov - where did he get to???/

Serious response:

Guilty of having changed name and dropped my unpronouncable moniker so I can't say "never".

I've plumped for 6 months as a bit of middle ground but with a strong request that folks with changed names keep their name history accessible for a while beside their avatar as has been done by the posters formerly known as Victorian, Andy68Hearts and my good self.

I've not voted as I don't really care what people call themselves. I've changed my name once and I'm happy with that. I paid a ?5 just to keep the board running and this Dec I'll renew. It's cheaper than a tv licence and a million times more fun.

When you change your name, are you able to remember all the details of what happened in your previous user name? Or do you have to get a hologram to tell you what's going on? :unsure:

03x09-07-04.jpg

"Ziggy says you only need to make 3 more name changes before you get into the Kickback Elite"

No more heroes anymore... no more heroes anymore... :smile:

Aye! That ###### Ivanawfyticklikov - where did he get to???/

Serious response:

Guilty of having changed name and dropped my unpronouncable moniker so I can't say "never".

I've plumped for 6 months as a bit of middle ground but with a strong request that folks with changed names keep their name history accessible for a while beside their avatar as has been done by the posters formerly known as Victorian, Andy68Hearts and my good self.

Just changed name but put my old one under my avatar so no one needs to go through the previous name bit. As for my reasoning of changing names, I grew out of it, none of my mates really call me Shock or Davey Aftershock anymore, that names died a death, time to move on. It's Dave Spacey now, although not too sure how that came about.

I don't think its a good feature, and there is a reason I've never seen it on other forums.

Some posters go out trolling and change their visible identity once they have built up a substantial number of enemies. If the facility is to exist at all, it should be controlled by the discretion of moderators and perhaps only be allowed once.

If you have spent a while building up a good reputation, why would you need to change your forum identity?

but some folk just do it as a bit of a laugh

if I think of who I consider major trollers on here I don't think most of them have changed names

Just changed name but put my old one under my avatar so no one needs to go through the previous name bit. As for my reasoning of changing names, I grew out of it, none of my mates really call me Shock or Davey Aftershock anymore, that names died a death, time to move on. It's Dave Spacey now, although not too sure how that came about.

I only noticed that after posting so honourable mention to you for the "FKA" tag line as well.

it bugs me in the mafia games but its not a HUGE annoyance for me in general

i say every 6 months or thereabouts

Went for 1 change every 6 months, although I'd suggest that you let users move back to their original name sooner - say after a month - but only if they come up with a really, really good reason for changing their name in the first place .

We can all make mistakes after a few refreshments - a month to consider the folly of your ways is long enough, 6 months would just be cruel.

No more heroes anymore... no more heroes anymore... :smile:

Don't know what you mean. I held his bloody hand through the worst of his wanderings...

:rolleyes:

Don't know what you mean. I held his bloody hand through the worst of his wanderings...

:rolleyes:

That's an intriguing reformulation of what were some of the most epic rows on this board between you (representing the forces of light), and JKB's very own answer to Comical Ali. :)

Guest John Meurig Thomas

People talking about building up reputations, trolling, becoming established etc is taking this far too seriously. Boomstick has it right: it takes 2 seconds to check name history, it's not as if they're adopting a new personality when they change their name.

I voted more often, variety is the spice of life.

That's an intriguing reformulation of what were some of the most epic rows on this board between you (representing the forces of light), and JKB's very own answer to Comical Ali. :)

:lol:

People talking about building up reputations, trolling, becoming established etc is taking this far too seriously. Boomstick has it right: it takes 2 seconds to check name history, it's not as if they're adopting a new personality when they change their name.

Yeah but that's two seconds you'll never get back....

A Manager Is Not Important. Vlad owes the money to himself we have to live within our means! And we're still on course for our average league finish. :)

Amen brother :thumbsup:

Guest John Meurig Thomas

Yeah but that's two seconds you'll never get back....

In fairness - and with a lot of respect because I like what you post - if you have time to kill on Kickback in the first place, I'll bet you won't miss those two seconds of your life.

smile.gif

In fairness - and with a lot of respect because I like what you post - if you have time to kill on Kickback in the first place, I'll bet you won't miss those two seconds of your life.

smile.gif

But does it not feel a bit like...sneaking on someone? :lol:

I hadn't realised we had the power to interrogate past user names in the profile. Now that I know this, my life is complete.

Change away.

surely your username (and any change to it) is your own business & anyone who gets annoyed by it should just have a cup of tea & a wee sit down....

its no hard to find out who someone is anyway.

Why are people wanting never?

If you don't want to change your user name don't, some will want to though. What's wrong with that?

I think it's fine the way it is.

People talking about building up reputations, trolling, becoming established etc is taking this far too seriously.

Oh indeed, some people clearly need to get out a bit more.

In any case, don't hate the poster, hate the post. Or something like that.

No surprise on who's voting for what on this thread then. The name change junkies are out in force. :biggrin:

It's annoying and I think people should be able to do it but not quite as often as they do currently. I like the Doc's idea of once a year on your birthday.

Guest GhostHunter

We've taken on board all requests in this thread.

And, duly ignored all of them.

Henceforth all users will be called Bob.

Okay Bob(s) ?

We've taken on board all requests in this thread.

And, duly ignored all of them.

Henceforth all users will be called Bob.

Okay Bob(s) ?

There's a noted gentleman of that moniker in Canada that might have an issue with that...

Yes, but non-subscribed members can't access that part I believe. The same goes for posting history when you get the feeling a user only posts on one subject e.g. anti-Romanov rants.

Interesting mix of responses so far. 40% have said "never", while 20% have said either leave it as is or let people change their names more often.

I wonder what the poll outcome would look like if those options weren't available? For anyone who's not sure why I said that, go to Wikipedia and look up "Soviet Union". :whistling:

Interesting mix of responses so far. 40% have said "never", while 20% have said either leave it as is or let people change their names more often.

I wonder what the poll outcome would look like if those options weren't available? For anyone who's not sure why I said that, go to Wikipedia and look up "Soviet Union". :whistling:

What a good idea. From now on, every poster is just called "Soviet Union", thus submerging the sense of individual identity for the collective good. Much better than Dexter's rubbish "Bob" thing.

Archived