*** Hearts V Elgin City ***

Howdy Doody Jambo

Jambof3tornado

Ardy was happy to throw his weight about and tracks back when people remind him to! Great game from him and plenty more to come.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

I suppose it is another example of how people see games differently jambodex. I thought Palazuelos performed well tonight, but thought yet again that Ian Black was the weakest man in the Hearts side. I'm afraid he just doesn't cut it for me, at all. Something missing, may be Hearts style of play doesn't suit him, I don't know, but he just doesn't produce enough for me to justify his being included in the side.

I agree with you about Ruben. I am in the middle of you and jambodex about Black, thought at times he did well in midfield then he would blast a simple pass and ruin a move. He needs to learn how to hit passes better as there is no use at blasting it at your team-mates as either they have trouble controlling it or just cant reach it in time.

Jambof3tornado

Ardy was happy to throw his weight about and tracks back when people remind him to! Great game from him and plenty more to come.

I'm just back from the game and I thought it was a decent, professional performance although there's always room for improvement. First half was better with the Elgin keeper making 3 or 4 really good point blank saves. Second half was fairly dull but the 3rd goal was a great move and a good finish and Pum finished the 4th really well.

Novikovas was rightly voted MotM and looked very bright but Temps on the other wing was quiet. Stevenson wasn't as good as I'd hoped although he was ok. I thought Blackie was decent tonight (a few folk won't be interested in hearing that) but Pala wasn't great (as usual). Defence looked solid enough without ever being under pressure and Craig T looked good despite a couple of wayward crosses. Great run forward and cross for the 2nd goal. I thought Pum also looked great when he came on.

In summary, a good win and we looked on a completely different level from Elgin. That's as expected but doesn't always happen with Hearts.

Novi was pretty good and more than deserved his MOTM award, also back tracked and worked hard for the team, something which i haven't noticed to much from him before.

Don't agree with your assessment of Black, how many passes did he lay off short or over hit? to many, he wasn't decent and didn't do as good as Pala or Temps, i wasn't the only one who felt that in the stand either.

good move and great finish from young Robinson for the 4th, hope he gets a chance coming off the bench on Sunday, Clum and Kyle both looked good upfront, how good is it having a target man that can win a ball in the air, and lay it off :thumbsup:

I suppose it is another example of how people see games differently jambodex. I thought Palazuelos performed well tonight, but thought yet again that Ian Black was the weakest man in the Hearts side. I'm afraid he just doesn't cut it for me, at all. Something missing, may be Hearts style of play doesn't suit him, I don't know, but he just doesn't produce enough for me to justify his being included in the side.

More or less agree with your thoughts although I thought Palazuelos was only ok. Aside from the positives of our performance ie the younger lads (Novikovas, Thomson and Templeton) who all played with flair and enthusiasm and the ninety minutes under Kyles belt and the obvious qualities he brings to us the most glaring thing for me yet again was the complete lack of real quality in the centre of the park. Black and Palazuelos (and my suspicion is Mrowiec and Stevenson will fall short too) are simply not good enough week in week out. When you think of the young lads we have available if we had a Hartley beside Jonsson and a fit Driver what a difference it would make. It is the one department we are completely lacking and I really hope we are still trying to resolve it before Monday night as it will undoubtably handicap our season. We have quantity there in abundance but very little quality.

I'm just back from the game and I thought it was a decent, professional performance although there's always room for improvement. First half was better with the Elgin keeper making 3 or 4 really good point blank saves. Second half was fairly dull but the 3rd goal was a great move and a good finish and Pum finished the 4th really well.

Novikovas was rightly voted MotM and looked very bright but Temps on the other wing was quiet. Stevenson wasn't as good as I'd hoped although he was ok. I thought Blackie was decent tonight (a few folk won't be interested in hearing that) but Pala wasn't great (as usual). Defence looked solid enough without ever being under pressure and Craig T looked good despite a couple of wayward crosses. Great run forward and cross for the 2nd goal. I thought Pum also looked great when he came on.

In summary, a good win and we looked on a completely different level from Elgin. That's as expected but doesn't always happen with Hearts.

I like Black, I really want him to succeed but tonight he was below par. Considering the opposition he really should be playing better. I'd consider him our weakest player tonight.

I'd also give a quiet mention to Eggy who was untrouble throughout the game but went about his business and never played a bad pass. Also nabbed his goal, fair play to him.

Well done Hearts and the 5000 hardy souls who went along.

Not a bad crowd considering.

I took my two daughters. First time they've seen Hearts win in the flesh. I know it was a 'wee' team, but they loved it!

Lynn :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

I agree with you about Ruben. I am in the middle of you and jambodex about Black, thought at times he did well in midfield then he would blast a simple pass and ruin a move. He needs to learn how to hit passes better as there is no use at blasting it at your team-mates as either they have trouble controlling it or just cant reach it in time.

Its simple JIG, he is not an SPL top 6 team player. An ok player for an ICT or a Hamilton or even Falkirk/Dunfermline but should never be playing, certainly regularly for a Hearts or the like. He just isn't good enough. Attitude fine, fitness good but ability sorely lacking. Given Stevenson's mediocre performance, Palazuelos stupidity and Mrowiecs lack of game time I can see him start with Jonsson on Sunday but that balance is all wrong. We really need a partner for Eggert before the transfer window shuts.

More or less agree with your thoughts although I thought Palazuelos was only ok. Aside from the positives of our performance ie the younger lads (Novikovas, Thomson and Templeton) who all played with flair and enthusiasm and the ninety minutes under Kyles belt and the obvious qualities he brings to us the most glaring thing for me yet again was the complete lack of real quality in the centre of the park. Black and Palazuelos (and my suspicion is Mrowiec and Stevenson will fall short too) are simply not good enough week in week out. When you think of the young lads we have available if we had a Hartley beside Jonsson and a fit Driver what a difference it would make. It is the one department we are completely lacking and I really hope we are still trying to resolve it before Monday night as it will undoubtably handicap our season. We have quantity there in abundance but very little quality.

thought mroviec looked good when he came on, not afraid to get stuck in and keeps it simple but tidy. Thought Stevenson tonight suffered from not really knowing where he should be playing in that advanced roll. He looked much more settled when he was moved back a bit deeper.

Happy with the performance put in, they did what was needed

Black, Novi and Wallace (1st half) were the stand outs with Eggy and Bouzod looking solid at the back

Stephenson didn't have a good game but once he actually moved back to midfield he looked a different player

Novi and Robinson both took their goals exceptionally well

Regular John

I thought Bouzid and Ruben were most impressive, also Robinson looked electric when he came on, he's the energetic attacking player we need in the middle.

Novikovas came good in the 2nd half, although he really needs to work on his right peg, it seems like it's just for standing on right now.

I'd also give a quiet mention to Eggy who was untrouble throughout the game but went about his business and never played a bad pass. Also nabbed his goal, fair play to him.

Jonsson is a key player for us this season. I think he will be worth a fair bit of cash by next summer.

Thinly-veiled "I wasn't at the game", imo. :angry:

your opinion is wrong then, i was at the game, Wheatfield - Row 28 seat 18 almost at the cut off for the empty seats

i'll scan the ticket stub tomorrow and post it up for proof.

your opinion is wrong then, i was at the game, Wheatfield - Row 28 seat 18 almost at the cut off for the empty seats

My point was that Calum Elliot wasn't even in the squad tonight.

'Clum' wasn't playing though mate. He's picked up another knock. Wasn't even a sub.

Its simple JIG, he is not an SPL top 6 team player. An ok player for an ICT or a Hamilton or even Falkirk/Dunfermline but should never be playing, certainly regularly for a Hearts or the like. He just isn't good enough. Attitude fine, fitness good but ability sorely lacking. Given Stevenson's mediocre performance, Palazuelos stupidity and Mrowiecs lack of game time I can see him start with Jonsson on Sunday but that balance is all wrong. We really need a partner for Eggert before the transfer window shuts.

Totally agree - Black is not up to standard.

I would rate him about 6th in our midfield pecking order - if everyone else is fit

got that wrong, meant Stevenson

I can see how you would make that mistake...

_47356150_ryan_stevenson_466.jpg

SNA23232A-280_761943a.jpg

like twins :ermm:

Was at the game and just wanted to say....

Novi, take a bow son!

Cracking performance tonight from him and a well desered MOTM. :thumbsup:

Seconded, he was great entertainment tonight buzzing down the side of the wheatfield in the second half. His first touch is quite superb and, when he loses possession he gets wired right back in.

For anyone interested in an Elgin fan's point of view of the game, I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on Pie and Bovril...

I'm immensely proud of our boys tonight, as they gave absolutely everything and didn't disgrace themselves in what could've easily been an embarrassment. I thought Ross Jack got his tactics horribly wrong. Neil MacDonald is too overweight and unfit for the third division, yet he starts him vs a full time SPL side? He was awful, gave the ball away the most and was huffing and puffing before it was even near half time.

The massive mistake Ross Jack made was up front. Putting Crooksy up front and having Gunn stuck out wide on the left is an absolute waste. Gunn showed in the second half just how much damage he could cause, while Crooksy was totally ineffective and contributed to Hearts dominance as his inability to hold the ball up or challenge Hearts with his pace meant the ball was just coming back time and time again anytime we cleared it.

The Caley chants were a particular highlight. Thanks to Ian Black for making it possible

The gulf between the two teams was obvious, we just couldn't compete with the fitness and movement of Hearts, but it was a great experience and the players done themselves and the fans proud. I agree that we should've had a penalty, but being the wee team, not surprised it wasn't given.

Only 2 complaints was where we were sat and the stewarding. We were told initially we would be in the lower part of the main stand, but were stuck up in top bit where the view is pish and I couldn't believe the Stewards were really trying to get our fans to sit down and shut up, it's just ******* ridiculous, we aren't old firm fans ffs.

I thought the crowd looked a lot more than the attendance given, but you won't hear us moaning as our share from that gate is still a massive amount for a club our size and is going to be very welcome.

jamboinglasgow

For anyone interested in an Elgin fan's point of view of the game, I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on Pie and Bovril...

I'm immensely proud of our boys tonight, as they gave absolutely everything and didn't disgrace themselves in what could've easily been an embarrassment. I thought Ross Jack got his tactics horribly wrong. Neil MacDonald is too overweight and unfit for the third division, yet he starts him vs a full time SPL side? He was awful, gave the ball away the most and was huffing and puffing before it was even near half time.

The massive mistake Ross Jack made was up front. Putting Crooksy up front and having Gunn stuck out wide on the left is an absolute waste. Gunn showed in the second half just how much damage he could cause, while Crooksy was totally ineffective and contributed to Hearts dominance as his inability to hold the ball up or challenge Hearts with his pace meant the ball was just coming back time and time again anytime we cleared it.

The Caley chants were a particular highlight. Thanks to Ian Black for making it possible

The gulf between the two teams was obvious, we just couldn't compete with the fitness and movement of Hearts, but it was a great experience and the players done themselves and the fans proud. I agree that we should've had a penalty, but being the wee team, not surprised it wasn't given.

Only 2 complaints was where we were sat and the stewarding. We were told initially we would be in the lower part of the main stand, but were stuck up in top bit where the view is pish and I couldn't believe the Stewards were really trying to get our fans to sit down and shut up, it's just ******* ridiculous, we aren't old firm fans ffs.

I thought the crowd looked a lot more than the attendance given, but you won't hear us moaning as our share from that gate is still a massive amount for a club our size and is going to be very welcome.

glad you had a good time despite the result. If I am being honest, I thought you were better then expected, I dont know what the average level of the third division is but I cant see you being at the bottom at the end of the season. Thought your goalkeeper had a great game.

As for the stewards, sadly they are told to stop people standing up though disappointed they told you to stop singing. Then again you haven't experienced the joy of being under the watchful eye of stewards at Celtic Park. :rolleyes:

Your fans were a credit to your team, sang for 90 mins (we were not good on that) I know it sounds patronising but I have a lot of time for fans of lower league teams, then again you have a fairer chance of winning the league your in then we do.

forthriverjambo

Well tonight's then night Hearts make their charge to the 2011 League Cup Final , a chance to win it for the first time since 1962 when Norrie Davidson scored to bring the trophy back to Gorgie

Come on Hearts it's about time !

i know, i was there. :thumbsup:

ticket0012.jpg

here is my ticket, i may have got a bit mixed up with which name i was meant to post, but i have been out and had a few beers so just made an honest mistake.

Elginfan - shame you guys got stuck up the top of the old stand, not the best place to watch the game. you guys did your club proud tonight, best of luck for the rest of the season

Their keeper was a gobby git and got a few shouts to shut the feck up in the second half. He was mumping so much at one point he almost missed a simple through ball.

From my view, it looked a stonewall penalty for Elgin, I don't know what Kyle was thinking when he pulled that big guy to the ground, we were 3-0 up at the time, it was a completely unnecessary and stupid thing to do. It's lucky no officials saw enough of the incident to give the penalty.

Novikovas was brilliant tonight, Stevenson looks like he'll be an important player for us this season.

There was a big gulf in class between the two sides, fitness, ability, I couldn't see us losing the game. Elgin done well in the second half, they got in behind us a couple of times, I think Elginfan has already mentioned it, if they started with the team they finished with, they might have shown a bit more and possibly got a goal.

heartsfc_fan

Was an ok game tbh.

Hearts ran riot in the first half (literally) and should've had 2 or 3 more if it wasn't for great reactions from the Elgin keeper.

Second half, Hearts settled down a bit. Elgin didn't actually look that bad, they had a player (number 7 I believe, yellow boots) who looked quick and useful. I actually think he would be good enough in a division or two up.

Novikovas was excellent and deserved MOTM. Craig Thomson was decent. Kyle was a menace throughout.

Bouzid, despite one wee hairy moment where he had a square heid bit and totally misjudged the ball for a header had a good match. However, him and Jonsson aren't the two to play at the back. Once Zaliukas is back (hopefully this weekend) we should put Jonsson and Stevenson in midfield. Stevenson had one or two good touches tonight, but he isn't a striker by any means.

I actually thought there looked like there was around 6,000 in the stadium, but it's tough to judge when you can't inspect the stand you are sitting in. Was around 4,000 in the Wheatfield alone (I was sitting in Main, lower T so had a good view). How full was the main stand? I couldn't tell. Good Elgin support? (I couldn't see them from where I was...but could hear them! :)).

How full was the main stand? I couldn't tell. Good Elgin support? (I couldn't see them from where I was...but could hear them! :)).

Our section was pretty close to being full, it was a much better effort from us than I had expected.

Johanes de Silentio

Good luck to Elgin this season, bud - mind and do us a favour in the Socttish Cup though, yeah? :thumbsup:

Our section was pretty close to being full, it was a much better effort from us than I had expected.

Evening Elginfan...just got to say your fans were great and all the luck for the rest of the season! I was working today in the away section although not at the bit where your fans were standing so it wouldn't have been me personally that told the fans to sit down or be quiet but unfortunately if people are standing we are told to tell them to sit down...health and safety, blocking views of other people blah blah blah, and as for the singing...can't understand why you'd be told to stop singing unless it was offensive songs but from what i could hear it wasn't! Hope you still had a great wee day out even though that section isn't the best for seeing the game! All the best :)

Though we done well, eggy's goal settled any nerves we may have had.

We could've had 4 or 5 in the first half bar good saves from the Elgin keeper, we did take the foot of the gas in the second half.

In the past we would have struggled in this game scrapping a 1-0 win in extra time.

Kyle done superb holding the ball up and laying it off, you can also see he is talking with those around him, encouraging them as well.

Elgin fans you done your club proud

The Treasurer

The Elgin fans in the Arms looked close to being "full" as well thumbsup.gif

Thought the Elgin fans were great, well done for making the effort.

Was MacDonald your number 3? thought he looked fairly neat on the ball considering. Also who was number 8? Unsuprisingly he didn't do anything amazing but he didn't shy away and was always looking for the ball when you were in possesion.

Speaking of forwards I have no idea of the ability of that big tall striker of yours (Millar?) but considering the tie I'm suprised he wasn't played earlier as more of a target man for when you cleared it up field.

Glad you enjoyed the game Elgin Fan.

At least you support your team and dont jump on the OLD Firm bandwagon.

Hope you have a good season.

Was at the game last night and was a no bad game just mainly like to say well done to the elgin fans and good luck for the rest of the season.

P.s I also agree that Black isn't good enough for us, although I think it was probably 1 of his best games in a Hearts shirt.

scottish_chicP

I agree with the comments about Black I just don't think he is good enough.

P.S Did anyone else getting eaten alive by midges?! :(

Brian Fantana

Ditto for me in regards to Black. With all due respect to Elgin, last night was a game you'd expect a premier league team's central midfield to boss. Black gave the ball away too often, and when he was successful with a pass it was normally under/over hit. I like the guy, he gives his all every game and I want him to be good for us. But for me, he's running out of chances.

Palazuelos also didn't do enough for me last night. Sideways, backwards, but never forwards. His one trick consists of him always checking back onto his left foot and it's tiresome.

Overall, I just can't see our current centre mids playing any kind of defence splitting pass.

Eggert and Stevenson centre mid for Sunday please JJ.

You really can't judge players on that game.

The defence wasn't really tested. That said I thought Bouzid was a stand out. The Balogh didn't need gloves - he could have used a tartan blanket and a pack of cards.

The fact that Black didn't stand out in this company says it all for me. He's just not got it. Tries hard and seems to care . . but little end product.

Well done to Novi for MOTM ; he desrved it. But some of the movement in the lead up was lovely (Stevenson's back heeler anyone ?)

I enjoyed the game and think that, with an injury-free team, JJ is only short of a creative midfielder to make Hearts a top team.

At last, a match report which talks mainly about what happened in the game itself :

Scotsman report

So much better than the usual self-indulgent paragraph after rambling paragraph of pointless musings interspersed with just 2 or 3 sentences about what actually happened on the field.

Well done Moira.

tartofmidlothian

I like Black and I think he's a real trier, but my hope that he'd be the new Hartley or Cameron are out the window. A good lad to keep around who can do a job against bottom six SPL teams if need be, but if we're going to Glasgow to play I'd rather see Eggert and Stevo in there.

Good grief, are there not some Hobo Roasters who post in the Hibsman comments field, FFS they are still going on about our 'debt'

JamboJohn1874

Some thoughts:

Stevenson - Thought he was very poor last night, especially the first half as he didn?t really know how to play beside Kyle or whatever he had been told by the manager was not working. He improved 2nd half when he moved back a bit.

Wallace ? Was defensively quite week and this is where the bulk of the few chances came last night.

Templeton ? Needs games but should eventually be quite a player.

Novi ? Very pleased to see him on last night and he played well with no shortage of flair. Just needs to develop some common sense now, especially on when to pass and when not to.

Kyle - Slow starter last night but played well overall, plenty lay off?s for everyone else.

Black - The new Elliot (not fit for purpose)

Palazuelos ? Put in a fair shift but not exactly brilliant.

Robinson ? Looked really sharp when he came on and seemed to have the ability to link with Kyle properly. Also scored which help balances out some the ridiculous praise Elliot has been getting.

rossthejambo

Wallace ? Was defensively quite week and this is where the bulk of the few chances came last night.

Robinson ? Looked really sharp when he came on and seemed to have the ability to link with Kyle properly. Also scored which help balances out some the ridiculous praise Elliot has been getting.

So much to take in but I've picked out the best of this utterly comedic post :lol:

So much to take in but I've picked out the best of this utterly comedic post :lol:

Yup, we've been ridiculous in our praise of Elliot. He has been giving 100%, playing some lovely passes, tracking back to defend and scoring brilliant goals.

But it's all luck I say. Boooooo Calum :down:

heartsfc_fan

Some thoughts:

Stevenson - Thought he was very poor last night, especially the first half as he didn?t really know how to play beside Kyle or whatever he had been told by the manager was not working. He improved 2nd half when he moved back a bit.

Templeton ? Needs games but should eventually be quite a player.

Novi ? Very pleased to see him on last night and he played well with no shortage of flair. Just needs to develop some common sense now, especially on when to pass and when not to.

Kyle - Slow starter last night but played well overall, plenty lay off?s for everyone else.

Black - The new Elliot (not fit for purpose)

Palazuelos ? Put in a fair shift but not exactly brilliant.

:ermm: Apart from the comment about Black....

rossthejambo

Yup, we've been ridiculous in our praise of Elliot. He has been giving 100%, playing some lovely passes, tracking back to defend and scoring brilliant goals.

But it's all luck I say. Boooooo Calum :down:

Hear hear.

How dare he score goals and deny us of our weekly moan. Clum GTF!

:whistling:

Archived