How Bad Were Hamilton?

VeeTee

I caught about 80 minutes of today's match...and in all the years that the SPL has been in it's current formation, I have to say that Hamilton today were bordering on the worst side I've seen (this is not to decry our performance in any way).

If there is a worse side in the SPL this season (on today's performance) then I'm a black-man.

Shit ground. Shit support. Shit football.

I caught about 80 minutes of today's match...and in all the years that the SPL has been in it's current formation, I have to say that Hamilton today were bordering on the worst side I've seen (this is not to decry our performance in any way).

If there is a worse side in the SPL this season (on today's performance) then I'm a black-man.

FFS only on Kickback !!!, why not just enjoy our highest scoring away win in 10 years, if this was hobo net , i can guarentee to a man they would be crowing about champagne flair football, in fact , u sure your not a Hibby on the wind - up ? :ermm:

A very very concerning start to the new season for Billy Reid. The Hamilton method of bringing through young players and selling them on for ???????? is not that different from what we are doing. Problem for Hamilton is they have sold on an excellent crop and may not have the same quality coming through.

I can see Hamilton struggling this season. There have been a lot of in's and out's at the cub this summer, it may for them given time - if not, they are in soapy.

Radioactive Mince

They were rancid but I'm glad that we've comprehensively and clinically killed a rancid team, at last.

chester copperpot

As much as I'd love to revel in the victory that was 4-0 away from home today. I just couldn't stop thinking how bad Hamilton were.

They were shambolic.

We were decent. You can only play who's in front of you though.

A very very concerning start to the new season for Billy Reid. The Hamilton method of bringing through young players and selling them on for ???????? is not that different from what we are doing. Problem for Hamilton is they have sold on an excellent crop and may not have the same quality coming through.

I can see Hamilton struggling this season. There have been a lot of in's and out's at the cub this summer, it may for them given time - if not, they are in soapy.

couldnt give a monkeys mate...Billy Reid another tedioius weedgie straight out of the Jimmy Calderwood school of weegieism....

couldnt give a monkeys mate...Billy Reid another tedioius weedgie straight out of the Jimmy Calderwood school of weegieism....

No lover of Billy Reid either, buddy.

thumbsup.gif

They have had one tactic for the last three years.

Deep cross to the back post.

1st season up it paid dividends but now they dont have the players to finish.

Still dangerous balls but that is all they have.

Odds on favs for the drop :)

As someone who's lived abroad for 15 years, and watched the Scottish club game since the moment I left the Holy Land, if Hamilton today are a median as to what level the SPL is currently at then the Scottish game is in a poorer state than even I envisaged.

I do happen to support all Scottish clubs when they play in Europe, and our national team. Sad, some will say. As an ex-pat, I'm happy to fly the flag. But that today was an utterly dire spectacle and was a clear sign that Scottish SPL football is at an all time low ebb.

If Hamilton are SPL, what are the lower leagues like skill wise?

rossthejambo

They were rancid but I'm glad that we've comprehensively and clinically killed a rancid team, at last.

This.

It's about time we've totally disposed of a barf inducing side for once.

Too often we've scraped through or even drew with these sort of teams. Today we destroyed them with plenty left in the tank IMO.

Good times, they are a coming, me thinks. thumbsup.gif

They are no worse than most of the other spl sides. we were just better and more clinical in front of goal today.

marshallschunkychicken

We've needed to give a side a doing.

After Aberdeen put four past them last week, I'd have been a tad concerned should we have failed to win today.

The Old Tolbooth

Yes Hamilton were very poor today, and they were also very poor last week too, but last season we would have huffed and puffed our way to either a draw or a defeat. Last season if we went down to ten men with half an hour to go, we would have folded like a pack of cards and threw it away, but then again last season we wouldn't be 2-0 up at half time!

We're a different Hearts this season, more purpose about us and playing a different style to the eye bleedingly bad tactics that Csaba instilled into our players, I don't know about anyone else but I'm massively refreshed after that result today, whether Hamilton were pish poor or not, because it's not about Hamilton, it's about Hearts!!

We've needed to give a side a doing.

After Aberdeen put four past them last week, I'd have been a tad concerned should we have failed to win today.

3 pens though!!!

Lets not get carried away about how good Aberdeen were doing them 4-0 that way.

They're not that good, but they're better than Falkirk. Hence why they are still in in SPL. Sold their best assets though, so I think they'll be in the mix this season.

Yes Hamilton were very poor today, and they were also very poor last week too, but last season we would have huffed and puffed our way to either a draw or a defeat. Last season if we went down to ten men with half an hour to go, we would have folded like a pack of cards and threw it away, but then again last season we wouldn't be 2-0 up at half time!

We're a different Hearts this season, more purpose about us and playing a different style to the eye bleedingly bad tactics that Csaba instilled into our players, I don't know about anyone else but I'm massively refreshed after that result today, whether Hamilton were pish poor or not, because it's not about Hamilton, it's about Hearts!!

Very good points, no matter how bad the oppo is you still have to beat them. Good goals and good team effort today.

portobellojambo1

I don't think there is any doubt Hamilton were poor today, or possibly better to say they have changed their personnel but not their tactics. They no longer have the players to play the style they have played since coming into the SPL.

However, one can look at Hearts history and it is clear that often we fail against sides we are expected to beat. Today we went there, took on what was put in front of us, and gave them a good humping, which augurs well going forward.

3 pens though!!!

They're not that good, but they're better than Falkirk. Hence why they are still in in SPL. Sold their best assets though, so I think they'll be in the mix this season.

Suddenly penalties dont count as goals ?

Regular John

I agree with the OP, Hamilton were abysmal, the worst SPL performance I can recall . Fat weegie Reid must be spewing at not taking the Swansea job now.

Overall It's an huge confidence boost for us in the next few league games that'll be testing.

marshallschunkychicken

3 pens though!!!

Absolutely Kitster, I realise that Aberdeen did not have to be great to beat them.

I would therefore have been concerned if we'd struggled today, as these are the games that really give an indication of where we are relative to where we want to be.

The point is, we created so many chances - and took most of them - against this poor Hamilton side. I mean, we've played sides as bad our worse in recent seasons and have struggled to score 1!!!

Really encouraging imo.

This...

And this...

3 pens though!!!

Maybe Accies were poor today but how many times in recent seasons have we failed to deliver a KO punch to poor teams? Too many for my liking but we did today with something to spare.

Johanes de Silentio

The point is, we created so many chances - and took most of them - against this poor Hamilton side. I mean, we've played sides as bad our worse in recent seasons and have struggled to score 1!!!

Really encouraging imo.

Yup! :thumbsup:

In answer to the OP, though, it must be said that Hamilton were honking - I honestly don't think I've ever seen defending that bad - and I've seen Stuart Gauld! :blink:

Even felt a wee bit sorry for the young centre-half who was making his debut, and the young lad in midfield who got caught in posession SIX TIMES was really poor.

Not taking anything away from our lads, but Hamilton really were abysmal.

They will probably improve when they get their better players back, but it looks really bad for Hamilton at the moment.

shaun.lawson

This is how Hamilton started last season:

Kilmarnock (a) L 0-3

Aberdeen (h) L 0-3

Rangers (a) L 1-4

Now they've started this one with a pair of 4-0 skelpings. Bottom line: at the start of the season, Hamilton are not very good. Their start last time around led to instant predictions that they were doomed; yet they ended up doing remarkably well given their resources. They might do the same this season - who knows?

As for us: a 4-0 win away from home is terrific whatever the circumstances. As I've said many times before, JJ knows how to get the measure of all non-OF sides when managing Hearts, and his style of play helps in that regard - but then counts against him and us in games v the Old Firm. That's very much how I expect things to play out this season too.

On the first day of 1999/2000, Hearts won 4-1 at St Johnstone with an excellent performance. But we weren't as good as that game made us look, nor were they as bad: they just began that campaign completely off the pace, and had corrected the problem within a few weeks. We went on to finish 3rd, after a struggle; which is precisely what I anticipate from 2010/11 too. :)

They will probably improve when they get their better players back

That's what a few Hamilton fans are suggesting, but how much better are you going to get when Brian McLauchlin and Alex Neil return to your team?

This is how Hamilton started last season:

Kilmarnock (a) L 0-3

Aberdeen (h) L 0-3

Rangers (a) L 1-4

Now they've started this one with a pair of 4-0 skelpings. Bottom line: at the start of the season, Hamilton are not very good. Their start last time around led to instant predictions that they were doomed; yet they ended up doing remarkably well given their resources. They might do the same this season - who knows?

As for us: a 4-0 win away from home is terrific whatever the circumstances. As I've said many times before, JJ knows how to get the measure of all non-OF sides when managing Hearts, and his style of play helps in that regard - but then counts against him and us in games v the Old Firm. That's very much how I expect things to play out this season too.

On the first day of 1999/2000, Hearts won 4-1 at St Johnstone with an excellent performance. But we weren't as good as that game made us look, nor were they as bad: they just began that campaign completely off the pace, and had corrected the problem within a few weeks. We went on to finish 3rd, after a struggle; which is precisely what I anticipate from 2010/11 too. :)

The difference with Hamilton this season is they have lost a quality player in McArthur, a player that bossed many a game. Looking at their squad, I cannot see where they have anything to exceed St Mirren, Kilmarnock and the like.

For those toiling with this, criticising Hamilton does not mean that we did not do well.

Guest GhostHunter

For the last 3 seasons - we've gone into, then come out of games against lower opposition where we SHOULD have walloped them by 3 or 4 goals, and left with a loss, a draw, or, if we were lucky, a narrow win.

Given yesterday, we pretty much played with the same players as the last couple of seasons, you've got to look at the JJ Factor as to how we are performing - coupled to a behind the scenes calm and settled environment.

When we get players like Driver, Eggert, Ryan S (to an extent), Elliott and a 100% fit Kyle back into the side, we really do have a great chance this season.

It'll be tough, as Rangers new signings actually look pretty decent, and Celtic are still buying so we realistically have to look at 3rd and push on from there....JJ's here for the long term, and with players coming in on our books for 2-3 yr deals - maybe, just maybe, in the next couple of years, we could be REALLY challenging...

That's what a few Hamilton fans are suggesting, but how much better are you going to get when Brian McLauchlin and Alex Neil return to your team?

Believe it or not, but the commentator for ESPN said during the game that "A case could be made for Alex Neil being one of the top players in the SPL". :lol:

I literally had to pick my jaw up from the floor.

jambos are go!

Struggling to think of another player I'm the SPL who can consistently deliver superb crosses Imrie did for Hamilton yesterday.

linkin- hearts

Well said John, lets give our own team credit for once.:thumbsup:

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Not interested in Hamilton.

I agree with JJ and the football he wants the team playing. We were better last week and only got a point, there were many more mistakes yesterday from players but the work ethic is back and the errors get lost when the ball is recovered. Great feeling to not play particularly well and score 4 goals. That is the sign of a decent side.

I saw us going into the game yesterday & getting turned over. Thats the way I'm programmed to think after enduring season after season of Elliot/Stewart like tantrumers who cared **** all about Hearts & their fans and who would regularly put on a piss poor display of mediocrity that makes the conferance league in England look like the EPL.

Mostly, I am happy that the attitude of the players looks massively improved. We got 4 goals form up front & we played some nice stuff.

A lot of work to be done but the improvement is encouraging.

And yes, Hamilton were awful. Not that I particularly cared.

Archived