who will replace Gretna in the League?

jambo in iraq

jambo in iraq

Assuming Gretna are about to fold. WHo do you think will gain admission to the Scottish league? The last club ironically \Gretna came from the south and before that Elgin from the north. I would like to see one of the top junior teams going up. Linlithgow are maybe the best bet although I believe half their committee is against the idea, failing the place could go west to Auckinleck, Pollock, Arthurlie or Maryhill. Would prefer an east coast team. One outsider could be Glenrothes. Big town, Warrout stadium with seated stand, potential for local derby matches vs Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Raith and Dunfemrline.

Alternatively up here in Sheepland, Cove are making soundings as are Nairn, Huntly and Deveronvale.

I think they will keep Gretna's place, and " they " will go down and top of first will come up as per ussual.

jambo in iraq
A Borders side would be the best bet, like Gala Fairydean.

Wouldn't argue with that, except the juniors seem to be at a little higher standard nowadays some of them in anycase. What sort of crowds do Gala get?

jambo in iraq
I think they will keep Gretna's place, and " they " will go down and top of first will come up as per ussual.

only if they find the money in next 20 minutes or so!!

Assuming Gretna are about to fold. WHo do you think will gain admission to the Scottish league? The last club ironically \Gretna came from the south and before that Elgin from the north. I would like to see one of the top junior teams going up. Linlithgow are maybe the best bet although I believe half their committee is against the idea, failing the place could go west to Auckinleck, Pollock, Arthurlie or Maryhill. Would prefer an east coast team. One outsider could be Glenrothes. Big town, Warrout stadium with seated stand, potential for local derby matches vs Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Raith and Dunfemrline.

Alternatively up here in Sheepland, Cove are making soundings as are Nairn, Huntly and Deveronvale.

Gala Fairydean have been snubbed four times now. Surely their turn has come.

only if they find the money in next 20 minutes or so!!

No, I mean they will keep their place open, after they have gone.

loveofthegame

Spartans are putting big things in place with the building of their new ?1M academy and training facilities. However i just dont see how they'll ever be able to achieve sustainable crowds. 8 men and their dogs watch at the mo(slight under exageration but you catch my drift). Possibly becoming a league team would help slightly. I'd think of heading along if Hearts ever werent playin but how often is that.

Junior teams i dont think would want to join, they're all proud of the set up they have and cant see that changing.

So that only really leaves Highland League sides imo

it's got to be whitburn juniors, by far the best team outside the top divisions, and visiting fans have the added bonus of the towns world famous seal sanctury and dolphinarium.

Machiavelli

If gretna do fold completly I heard on the radio that all points earned against them will become null and void. Would this suit us as we had a pretty abysmal record against them at the beginning of the season i.e. we would have the least points deducted therefore catching up on all above us?:)

They will not be replaced.

It'll become a 10 team league with the dirty Leithers being punted.

jambo in iraq
it's got to be whitburn juniors, by far the best team outside the top divisions, and visiting fans have the added bonus of the towns world famous seal sanctury and dolphinarium.

I'd love that if nothing else we'd get to see that donkey Mbu getting skinned every week! They are a good team (beaten 2-1 by the mighty Oakley Utd however). Their ground is in a bit of a mess though.

If gretna do fold completly I heard on the radio that all points earned against them will become null and void. Would this suit us as we had a pretty abysmal record against them at the beginning of the season i.e. we would have the least points deducted therefore catching up on all above us?:)

See the 'Gretna into administration' thread. It would work out quite good for us.

I could be wrong but I don't think Junior clubs are eligible to be considered for a Scottish League place. I think only members of the SFA can be considered. The SJFA is a quite separate, autonomous body.

Another scenario (what I thought the original question was going to be about), if Gretna go defunct and Hamilton win 1st Division, do the Accies meet the stadium requirements to join SPL. If not we then have a 11 team SPL, do the SPL then go and approach a St Johnstone or Dundee to come into the league to make up the numbers at the expense of Hamilton ?

Another scenario (what I thought the original question was going to be about), if Gretna go defunct and Hamilton win 1st Division, do the Accies meet the stadium requirements to join SPL. If not we then have a 11 team SPL, do the SPL then go and approach a St Johnstone or Dundee to come into the league to make up the numbers at the expense of Hamilton ?

Wikipedia reckons the attendance is 5,300. I reckon they could get that up to 6,000 no prob if reqd. I think the undersoil heating question still needs clarified too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Douglas_Park

Rudi Hates Hibees

As far as i know Hamilton only need an extra 100 seats and undersoil heating for there ground to be acceptable for spl. (plans in place.) They're also ripping up the astroturf and replacing this with grass. Even tho the spl were going to let them up with the astroturf.

jambo in iraq
I could be wrong but I don't think Junior clubs are eligible to be considered for a Scottish League place. I think only members of the SFA can be considered. The SJFA is a quite separate, autonomous body.

they need to resign from the sjfa and apply to sfa. There are numerous presidence for this. Last time was Inverurie Locos who resigned from the Aberdeen juniors to join the Highland league, Ormiston Primrose and Cove Rangers are others that spring to mind.

Pretty sure if Linlithgow said yes the sfa would love them in the league. Big crowds, good financially, in the central belt so good for away fans and best of all a tidy stadium with ample seating.

And of course the second-to-none drugs supply!

they need to resign from the sjfa and apply to sfa. There are numerous presidence for this. Last time was Inverurie Locos who resigned from the Aberdeen juniors to join the Highland league, Ormiston Primrose and Cove Rangers are others that spring to mind.

Pretty sure if Linlithgow said yes the sfa would love them in the league. Big crowds, good financially, in the central belt so good for away fans and best of all a tidy stadium with ample seating.

Yes, a Junior club could transfer its allegiance from the SJFA to the SFA, but I'm also pretty sure that if a Junior side was elected into the SL today there would be a massive outcry from the clubs in the other three regional Senior leagues. Also, any Junior club wishing to be considered would have to join the SFA and resign from the SJFA before being admitted to the SL. They would have to gamble on getting the place knowing that they would not necessarily be automatically welcomed back by the SJFA, or the Junior league from which they had resigned, if they were unsuccessful.

There's a big difference between transferring from a local Junior league to a regional Senior league, which was the case with Inverurie, and transferring to a national Senior league. There would be bound to be other existing Senior clubs applying for the place and when it came to the vote I think it's likely that the existing SL members would be more likely to favour one of them.

Thig Ar Latha

Cove would be a terrible choice. Their ground at Allan Park is far too small and tight. I would say they should'nt even be playing Highland League Football on it.

Nairn have a nice wee stadium, but as a Club they are quite poor (as in money) and a fairly small support. The'd struggle.

Huntly and Devronvale, along with Keith would be the best suited for promotion to the SFL for a workable fan base and Club ambition. You could possibly add the Broch as well. I doubt any other HL Clubs could do it, though Buckie Thistle (sounds like a Weeggie Team) might want in.

And of course the second-to-none drugs supply!

which only enhances the visit to the seal sanctury and dolphinarium.

If Gretna do fold it would be the ideal time for everyone in Scottish football to get together and and work out a credible system including a top league of 16 or eighteen, together with getting a proper pyramid system into place which would allow ambitious junior sides to pull themselves up to the top level.

I we are saddled with this tedious Premer League for another season and we are looking for a team to take Gretnas place in Division Three, then it has to be a team with a reasonalbe fan base and a good business plan. That being the case we may well be looking at another one of the Highland League sides being brought onboard such as Huntley.

If Gretna do fold it would be the ideal time for everyone in Scottish football to get together and and work out a credible system including a top league of 16 or eighteen, together with getting a proper pyramid system into place which would allow ambitious junior sides to pull themselves up to the top level.

I we are saddled with this tedious Premer League for another season and we are looking for a team to take Gretnas place in Division Three, then it has to be a team with a reasonalbe fan base and a good business plan. That being the case we may well be looking at another one of the Highland League sides being brought onboard such as Huntley.

18 team league would be so much better.

I'd vote for Gala Fairydean. A decent-sized town, a futuristic stand, and come close in previous attempts to join. And we've not got any teams from the official Borders (i.e. not counting Northumberland and D&G as Borders)

Petershill?

Been to their stadium and training ground. Seem to have very good facilities for a junior team.

Petershill?

Been to their stadium and training ground. Seem to have very good facilities for a junior team.

Petershill don't own their ground anymore, its council run and dont have much money and have not been very sucessful for years.

Most junior teams would probably prefer to stay junior - big fish small pond, especially with the bigger clubs getting the chance to earn extra bucks in the scottish cup without having to pay SFA membership fees.

In my opinion Irvine Meadow would be looking to apply for the league if there is a place up for grabs - they already pay there players more than 2nd division and most 1st division clubs (rumoured to be ?300 per week). They have a couple of guys pumping money in similar to gretna with their current aim to win the league and get into the big Scottish cup - their is also stories going about that they are building a new ground incase a chance to join the SFL came up. Only problem it they couldnt russtle up two men and a dog if Rankers are playing within spitting distance!!

JamboFamily
THE SPARTANS

New ground getting build

Edinburgh Club

Need i say more!!!!!!!!!!!!

no chance

glorified amatuer side!

Peter Olivers Army
We should allow Newcastle utd to join the third division. That way they may win a game.

Best suggestion yet!:)

Think the SFA will be very careful this time. I can't see another Highland side getting in, although Cove could be an outside bet as they are close to a centre of population and may end the sheeps monopoly.

No Fife side has a chance as the levels of support for all teams there are pitiful just now.

Edinburgh has already proved they cannot support a third side after the demise/relocation of Meadowbank.

Glasgow and surrounding areas is full of good wee junior teams but wouldn't they miss all their derby matches.

Of course, former league club Clydebank may be interested.

Gala do look the most obvious bet and it would be good for football to strike at rugby heartland.

spartans and linlithgow rose both have a good shout. plus the dirty hibbees might actually win an odd derby.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Got to be spartans. Building a good fan base and it would be great for edinburgh to have a third team..

The Old Tolbooth

I used to be on the committee at Gala Fairydean, it was at the time they lost out on league status to ICT and Ross County. I remember being in the clubrooms the day the decision was announced, and we fully expected to get voted into the league. There was champagne on ice just waiting to be opened and the clubrooms were packed full of an expectant crowd of people all connected with the "Dean".

The news filtered through that ICT (even although they were not even legally formed as a club at that time) and Ross County had been voted into the league, and the devastation of the place was incredible, we were all extremely gutted!

Hearts, Hibs, and Berwick Rangers all voted for the Highland clubs to be voted into the league citing the pathetic excuse that they couldnt afford to take the chance of losing support to a new league club from the Borders, and we at the Dean felt badly let down by our closest league clubs. I wasnt much longer after that because of work commitments.

Looking back, even although we were furious at two Inverness clubs trying to form together and being politically voted into the league, it's very clear to see that they have a damn site more to offer to Scottish football than the Dean could ever imagine. Even Ross County getting in have far far more to offer than the Dean, and I think even now that the Dean would not have much to offer Scottish football if they gained league status as we really dont need another East Stirlingshire simply to make up the numbers.

Someone asked what kind of crowds the Dean get, the answer is very very poor, you'd be lucky if 150 turn up for league games (thats including their dogs), because the town is rugby orientated and the rugby club (which is actually joined to the football club and seperated only by a fence) get much bigger crowds than the Dean could ever hope to get, hell the Dean are not even in the top league of the East of Scotland these days! They might get initial interest if they did get in, but I very much doubt it would last.

I reckon teams like Linlithgow Rose, Tayport etc, would have far more to offer than any East of Scotland league side, although some sort of relegation and promotion system would seem fairest.

Instead of bring another in,why not dump some more :)

Too many clubs for a small country.

Take it down to 36 or 32 and just have two divisions.

Then make it a pyramid system for promotion to division 2.

Would clear out the hangers-on and let those teams who have ambition progress.

Instead of bring another in,why not dump some more :)

Too many clubs for a small country.

Take it down to 36 or 32 and just have two divisions.

Then make it a pyramid system for promotion to division 2.

Would clear out the hangers-on and let those teams who have ambition progress.

I agree, but it's never going to happen.

A definitive pyramid system with clear and defined paths up to the top needs to be put in place.

However, I fear that this would be too much of a radical change for it ever to happen...

Linlithgow Rose wouldn't be intersted for the simple reason that they wouldn't win armloads of trophys every year. They and their money have a monopoly on East junior football and they don't want to relinquish that as that is the extent of their ambitions and they don't want to stray outwith their comfort zone.

weegie jambo

Best suggestion yet, get a proper pyramid in place then those with real aspirations can gain entry the bottom division.

If we're going on support then either Linlithgow Rose or Pollock would be good shouts. If we're being biased then Maryhill Juniors as I can see all their home games without leaving my work!;)

John Gentleman
Linlithgow Rose wouldn't be intersted for the simple reason that they wouldn't win armloads of trophys every year. They and their money have a monopoly on East junior football and they don't want to relinquish that as that is the extent of their ambitions and they don't want to stray outwith their comfort zone.

They're having a poor season (by their normal standards) and won't win "an armload" of trophies as you suggest - though they've already got one (forget the name, keeps changing every year, but the Linlithgow locals refer to it as a 'tin can').

"They and their money have a monopoly on East Junior Football". Well, the results this season don't corroborate that.

IF they do "have their money", it's because of sound financial management, good team management and a healthy support. Something the Romanovs could learn from. But they know all, don't they? Like fork they do.

IMHO, the whole football structure in Scotland needs a "guid red oot" from top to bottom - not tinkering with the rules from season to season as they do presently.

bring back meadowbank thistle.

Preston Athletic tried to get in the league a few years ago but lost out to Gretna I believe. I have no idea whether they would be a good addition to the league or not but they may well be interested in trying to gain entry to the SFL this time around.

Baird, King and Michael
I used to be on the committee at Gala Fairydean, it was at the time they lost out on league status to ICT and Ross County. I remember being in the clubrooms the day the decision was announced, and we fully expected to get voted into the league. There was champagne on ice just waiting to be opened and the clubrooms were packed full of an expectant crowd of people all connected with the "Dean".

The news filtered through that ICT (even although they were not even legally formed as a club at that time) and Ross County had been voted into the league, and the devastation of the place was incredible, we were all extremely gutted!

Hearts, Hibs, and Berwick Rangers all voted for the Highland clubs to be voted into the league citing the pathetic excuse that they couldnt afford to take the chance of losing support to a new league club from the Borders, and we at the Dean felt badly let down by our closest league clubs. I wasnt much longer after that because of work commitments.

Looking back, even although we were furious at two Inverness clubs trying to form together and being politically voted into the league, it's very clear to see that they have a damn site more to offer to Scottish football than the Dean could ever imagine. Even Ross County getting in have far far more to offer than the Dean, and I think even now that the Dean would not have much to offer Scottish football if they gained league status as we really dont need another East Stirlingshire simply to make up the numbers.

Someone asked what kind of crowds the Dean get, the answer is very very poor, you'd be lucky if 150 turn up for league games (thats including their dogs), because the town is rugby orientated and the rugby club (which is actually joined to the football club and seperated only by a fence) get much bigger crowds than the Dean could ever hope to get, hell the Dean are not even in the top league of the East of Scotland these days! They might get initial interest if they did get in, but I very much doubt it would last.

I reckon teams like Linlithgow Rose, Tayport etc, would have far more to offer than any East of Scotland league side, although some sort of relegation and promotion system would seem fairest.

Trust you to stick the boot into the Dean now that you?ve moved to Rosyth!

The case for Gala Fairydean?s inclusion in the league is an interesting one.

A recent building application on the outskirts of the town would (if approved) take the population to over 16,000.

Gala is already bigger than Forfar, Montrose, Stranraer, Brechin and Gretna.

The increase in population proposed in one year would make Gala comparable in size to say Stenhousemuir and not far off the size of Peterhead.

Housing and population projections for the Central Borders area based on the return of the railway in 2012 predict huge rises in both taking Gala?s population to over the 20,000 mark possibly within 10 years.

This would make Gala bigger than either Alloa or Elgin and comparable with towns like Dumbarton or Arbroath.

As for your suggestions of Junior teams like Linlithgow Rose or Tayport, even if rules we changed to let them in Linlithgow has a population of less that 12,000 and Tayport less than 4,000.

It is true that the Dean?s crowds are currently very low and the team is not performing well. However, they have shown in the past either with home ties in the Scottish Cup or friendlies against bigger opposition that the crowds would turn out.

I would never miss going to Tynie in order to see the Dean but if Hearts were away I?d definitely consider going down to Netherdale.

On a broader point, the last few times that teams have been selected to join the league the Highlands have done well. Inverness and Ross County have proved to be success stories but it is doubtful that beyond the teams currently in league places that any other Highland team could add anything to the Scottish game.

Introducing League football to the one area that is currently not represented, in an area undergoing dramatic growth and change might actually turn out to be a success story rather than replicating some of the failures we see in the lower reaches of our leagues.

(Plus John Mitchell is no longer on the committee?that?s got to be a good thing!)

The Old Tolbooth
Trust you to stick the boot into the Dean now that you’ve moved to Rosyth!

The case for Gala Fairydean’s inclusion in the league is an interesting one.

A recent building application on the outskirts of the town would (if approved) take the population to over 16,000.

Gala is already bigger than Forfar, Montrose, Stranraer, Brechin and Gretna.

The increase in population proposed in one year would make Gala comparable in size to say Stenhousemuir and not far off the size of Peterhead.

Housing and population projections for the Central Borders area based on the return of the railway in 2012 predict huge rises in both taking Gala’s population to over the 20,000 mark possibly within 10 years.

This would make Gala bigger than either Alloa or Elgin and comparable with towns like Dumbarton or Arbroath.

As for your suggestions of Junior teams like Linlithgow Rose or Tayport, even if rules we changed to let them in Linlithgow has a population of less that 12,000 and Tayport less than 4,000.

It is true that the Dean’s crowds are currently very low and the team is not performing well. However, they have shown in the past either with home ties in the Scottish Cup or friendlies against bigger opposition that the crowds would turn out.

I would never miss going to Tynie in order to see the Dean but if Hearts were away I’d definitely consider going down to Netherdale.

On a broader point, the last few times that teams have been selected to join the league the Highlands have done well. Inverness and Ross County have proved to be success stories but it is doubtful that beyond the teams currently in league places that any other Highland team could add anything to the Scottish game.

Introducing League football to the one area that is currently not represented, in an area undergoing dramatic growth and change might actually turn out to be a success story rather than replicating some of the failures we see in the lower reaches of our leagues.

(Plus John Mitchell is no longer on the committee…that’s got to be a good thing!)

Heh heh, cheers bawbag!

Firstly I wasnt sticking the boot into the Dean, I was pointing out what the facts are, just like you did in your reply smarty pants :)

I agree that if the big white elepha....., erm I mean railway project ever comes off, then it would be a massive boost for the area, however it was stated in the local rag (The border bellylaugh (telegraph)) this week that the railway project may already be dead in the water, now there's a shock! It's a bit like the new stand at Tynie, I'll believe it when I actually see it.

Ask yourself this, what sport were you mainly taught at school? It wasnt rugby by any chance was it? The mentality is that all the PE teachers at Borders schools are from a rugby background, hence the reason the Borders towns are rugby orientated. Its aye been so to speak!

Gala rugby team are currently sitting top of the Scottish 3rd division, which is regarded as an embarrassment to the town because they managed to sink that low, if someone aint came in to rescue the towns so called pride and joy with an investment to get them back up to the top flight, how the hell do the Dean expect to bankroll a league campaign when the initial interest dies down and its back to 50 blokes sitting in the stand each paying a fiver to get in?

I honestly think that the Dean getting into the league could be the death knell for the club as their expenses would go up with nothing to cover it, they almost went bust a few times during the late 80's and early 90's, not sure how they have faired since though to be fair.

I would love to be proved wrong though because one of the first results I look for on a Saturday is the Deans.

Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it BK&M ;)

Baird, King and Michael
Heh heh, cheers bawbag!

Firstly I wasnt sticking the boot into the Dean, I was pointing out what the facts are, just like you did in your reply smarty pants :)

I agree that if the big white elepha....., erm I mean railway project ever comes off, then it would be a massive boost for the area, however it was stated in the local rag (The border bellylaugh (telegraph)) this week that the railway project may already be dead in the water, now there's a shock! It's a bit like the new stand at Tynie, I'll believe it when I actually see it.

Ask yourself this, what sport were you mainly taught at school? It wasnt rugby by any chance was it? The mentality is that all the PE teachers at Borders schools are from a rugby background, hence the reason the Borders towns are rugby orientated. Its aye been so to speak!

Gala rugby team are currently sitting top of the Scottish 3rd division, which is regarded as an embarrassment to the town because they managed to sink that low, if someone aint came in to rescue the towns so called pride and joy with an investment to get them back up to the top flight, how the hell do the Dean expect to bankroll a league campaign when the initial interest dies down and its back to 50 blokes sitting in the stand each paying a fiver to get in?

I honestly think that the Dean getting into the league could be the death knell for the club as their expenses would go up with nothing to cover it, they almost went bust a few times during the late 80's and early 90's, not sure how they have faired since though to be fair.

I would love to be proved wrong though because one of the first results I look for on a Saturday is the Deans.

Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it BK&M ;)

Of course there is the chance that the experiment of introducing football into the Borders could fail.

However, all I am saying is that if you compare Gala to any other potential rival for inclusion in the league then they have as good a case as anybody.

They have a good little stadium that probably wouldn?t need huge sums to bring it up to scratch.

They have shown previously that they can command decent crowds. (Of course if you?re playing Eyemouth Utd in the lower reaches of the East of Scotland you will get 50 guys and a dog.)

They have sailed close to the wind financially in the past mainly because they overstretched themselves in terms of the stadium and bringing in players in the hope they would get into the league.

The local scene has also changed beyond recognition in the last few years. Instead of the infighting that used to exist amongst the other clubs in the town there is now a pyramid system in place with the best players from each of the other teams progressing up to the Dean.

Last year also saw the establishment of Gala Dean JFC which for the first time gives primary school youngsters in the town the chance to develop through properly run coaching and development.

Whilst it will take time to get it right then hopefully there won?t be a return to the days when there were no locals in the team, they trained up in Edinburgh and the community link to the club was broken.

It is the one area of Scotland not represented in the League set up and if included, might just start the process of changing the Borders from being as rugby orientated.

Surely the role of the SFA and The Scottish League is to promote and develop the sport of football into ALL areas of the country?

The Old Tolbooth
Of course there is the chance that the experiment of introducing football into the Borders could fail.

However, all I am saying is that if you compare Gala to any other potential rival for inclusion in the league then they have as good a case as anybody.

They have a good little stadium that probably wouldn’t need huge sums to bring it up to scratch.

They have shown previously that they can command decent crowds. (Of course if you’re playing Eyemouth Utd in the lower reaches of the East of Scotland you will get 50 guys and a dog.)

They have sailed close to the wind financially in the past mainly because they overstretched themselves in terms of the stadium and bringing in players in the hope they would get into the league.

The local scene has also changed beyond recognition in the last few years. Instead of the infighting that used to exist amongst the other clubs in the town there is now a pyramid system in place with the best players from each of the other teams progressing up to the Dean.

Last year also saw the establishment of Gala Dean JFC which for the first time gives primary school youngsters in the town the chance to develop through properly run coaching and development.

Whilst it will take time to get it right then hopefully there won’t be a return to the days when there were no locals in the team, they trained up in Edinburgh and the community link to the club was broken.

It is the one area of Scotland not represented in the League set up and if included, might just start the process of changing the Borders from being as rugby orientated.

Surely the role of the SFA and The Scottish League is to promote and develop the sport of football into ALL areas of the country?

Good reply mate, and its difficult to disagree with any of that.

How good would it be to see the mantle shift from rugger to football? I'd love that!

I also didnt realise the pyramid system was in place which is a good idea because the fighting between the Hotspur and the Rovers was very intense, and the youth idea seems like a good shout too.

Their financial problems in the past were due to them getting in overpaid duds like Gordon Rae and John Clark to manage them, what happened to the good old days of Davy Watkins, Ninian Cassidy and Smithy, who was an excellent manager who was punted out the door to make way for Rae because Smithy wasnt high profile enough to lead them in their quest for league football. He ended up making Whitehill league champs for a few years to come after that!

Perhaps I've been away from "home" too long!

Archived