Why Is Tynecastle Called Tynecastle?

Eggo

My theory is its named after the River Tyne in East Lothian and the castle. Whats the real story?

I know your reading this Rab haha and I hope im proved right :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

I'm pretty sure there used to be an old tollbooth on Gorgie Road that was called Tynecastle before the ground was built, and the name of the stadium was derived from that mate, feel free to correct me someone if I'm wrong however as I'm not 100% sure. :thumbsup:

the name tynecastle comes from some old toll gate in the gorgie/dalry area.

cant remember the details.

Have no idea if this is true, but I found this

Origins

The Heart of Midlothian Football Club was founded in 1874. The unusual name has its roots far from the football pitch. In the 17th Century the ?Heart of Midlothian? was the name given to the Edinburgh city prison, a building which also contained the city?s gallows.

The building was demolished in 1817 but, thanks to a novel by Sir Walter Scott, called ?Heart of Midlothian?, the name stayed in existence. It became the rather morbid title of the dance hall in the town where some of the men who frequented the club, obviously impressed with the footwork they were displaying on the dance floor, decided to form a football club, which they named after their favourite dancehall.

Stadium

In 1881 Hearts moved to the Gorgie area of Edinburgh to a ground called Tynecastle Park. Five years later they were again forced to move, but this time just a short distance across the Gorgie Road. They named the new ground ?New Tynecastle?. As the years passed and the novelty wore off the ?new? was dropped from the title and Tynecastle is where Hearts play their football to this day.

Origins

The Heart of Midlothian Football Club was founded in 1874. The unusual name has its roots far from the football pitch. In the 17th Century the ?Heart of Midlothian? was the name given to the Edinburgh city prison, a building which also contained the city?s gallows.

The building was demolished in 1817 but, thanks to a novel by Sir Walter Scott, called ?Heart of Midlothian?, the name stayed in existence. It became the rather morbid title of the dance hall in the town where some of the men who frequented the club, obviously impressed with the footwork they were displaying on the dance floor, decided to form a football club, which they named after their favourite dancehall.

Stadium

In 1881 Hearts moved to the Gorgie area of Edinburgh to a ground called Tynecastle Park. Five years later they were again forced to move, but this time just a short distance across the Gorgie Road. They named the new ground ?New Tynecastle?. As the years passed and the novelty wore off the ?new? was dropped from the title and Tynecastle is where Hearts play their football to this day.

Not overly helpful really

so tynecastle is still 'taking it's toll' to this day... :whistling:

coat's on it's way on, door open.

andfultons baggio

Origins

Stadium

Good post -the original ground in Gorgie was at what is now Wardlaw Place.

alwaysthereinspirit

It was actually named by the then Edinburgh Lord Provost John Bulkrap (sp) who's dream was that one day every Edinburgh citizen would own their own house. At what would now be the school end in the mid 1800's was a small mansion owned by his family. It wasn't big but his dad always told him every mans house should be his castle no matter how tiny. This stuck with him and when he bought shares in a new football team he decided that Gorgie should be their home near his familys tiny castle. The ground was to be named Tiny Castle but the register of deeds misspelled it.

Johanes de Silentio

Eggo. Who would name a ground after a burn in East Lothian

The Tyne is also up in the Vogrie, Chrichton, Pathhead area, is it not? That would make it in Midlothian, would it not?

Just had a look at the 1870 map of Edinburgh and just east of the railway bridge over the old public toilets is Tynecastle Toll. You have to go to Viewforth until you find any houses.

Note Gorgie Road was called Mid Calder Road.

It was actually named by the then Edinburgh Lord Provost John Bulkrap (sp) who's dream was that one day every Edinburgh citizen would own their own house. At what would now be the school end in the mid 1800's was a small mansion owned by his family. It wasn't big but his dad always told him every mans house should be his castle no matter how tiny. This stuck with him and when he bought shares in a new football team he decided that Gorgie should be their home near his familys tiny castle. The ground was to be named Tiny Castle but the register of deeds misspelled it.

Another register of deeds just like the one who miss-spelled Larry kingsons name and chopped years of his birthday me thinks

Just east of the old toilets next to the railway bridge was Tynecastle toll. First houses at 1870 were at Viewforth.

Gorgie Roas used to be called Mid Calder Road.

so tynecastle is still 'taking it's toll' to this day... :whistling:

coat's on it's way on, door open.

We are not worthy.

:bravo:

The old city boundary of Edinburgh stopped at the west end of Dalry Cemetery. On what was then called Mid-Calder Rd (now Gorgie Rd) there was a toolbooth called Tynecastle Toll where the entrance to Springwell House now stands.

It is not known for certain where the name is derived but may be from the Gaelic Tigh-na-caistel.

I thought the 'Tyne' meant 'toll' hence an area where there was a toll on route to the Castle?

"Tyne" itself is an old word for River the Tyne that passes between Newcastle and Gateshead and the Teign in south Devon (and maybe the Thames) get their name from this in the same way that the one that goes through the Lothians.

The water of Leith isn't that far away so it may be that the original Tynecastle was a "Fortification by the river."

My other theory is that it's named after Oxenfoord Castle which overlooks the Tyne and was the seat of the Dalrymples from whom Dalry takes its name as they were big landowners there

http://www.oxenfoord.co.uk/

The Tyne is also up in the Vogrie, Chrichton, Pathhead area, is it not? That would make it in Midlothian, would it not?

Source of the Tyne is Middleton Moor, which is in Midlothian.

southside1874

My theory is its named after the River Tyne in East Lothian and the castle. Whats the real story?

I know your reading this Rab haha and I hope im proved right :thumbsup:

There was a street of that name first. . the river Tyne and the view of the castle.

I P Knightley

Thanks for posting the map.

I'd never realised that my childhood was spent on the "Caledonian Road"!

Also nice to see the "Royal Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum" - a shame that we've lost such names.

the jambo poet

Were you on the telly on that program "would I lie to you" ??

There was a street of that name first. . the river Tyne and the view of the castle.

That's some name for a street...no wonder they dropped that.....

Thanks for posting the map.

I'd never realised that my childhood was spent on the "Caledonian Road"!

Also nice to see the "Royal Edinburgh Lunatic Asylum" - a shame that we've lost such names.

It' still called that....just shortened to the Royal Ed.....altho I don't think it's that far up on the map nowadays?.....I could be wrong of course...

lots of good theories on here......

Tas you gave us the gaelic.....but what does it actually mean?

Interesting that all references to Gorgie (Gorie Mains, Gorgie Cottage and Gorgie Park) lay on Slateford Road. So how did Mid Calder Road become Gorgie Road ?

Fxxx the SPFL

We should arrange for Tony Robinson to bring Time Team up to try and find the original Tynecastle Toll.

Then send them on to Fester Road to try and find anyone who saw Hibs last win the cup.

thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

Then send them on to Fester Road to try and find anyone who saw Hibs last win the cup.

Easy - the cemeteries are full of them.

Love it!

I P Knightley

It' still called that....just shortened to the Royal Ed.....altho I don't think it's that far up on the map nowadays?.....I could be wrong of course...

I'm sure they dropped the Looney Asylum part quite a few years ago.

The scale on the map's not quite right but you might be confusing the old hospital up at Glenlockhart (other side of the Merchants' golf course) with Craig House which is what's on this map.

A little Googling tells me that Craig House wasn't the Edinburgh Looney Bin until 1878, adding a few years onto the date of the map.

CalumtheJambo98

I was wondering about that too !!! I am guessing that its someone/something in Gorgie. But i dont know:blink:

Charlie-Brown

"Tyne" itself is an old word for River the Tyne that passes between Newcastle and Gateshead and the Teign in south Devon (and maybe the Thames) get their name from this in the same way that the one that goes through the Lothians.

The water of Leith isn't that far away so it may be that the original Tynecastle was a "Fortification by the river."

My other theory is that it's named after Oxenfoord Castle which overlooks the Tyne and was the seat of the Dalrymples from whom Dalry takes its name as they were big landowners there

http://www.oxenfoord.co.uk/

A simpler explanation is that these roads or streets were named after their original destination point ie Dalry Road Edinburgh and Dalry in Ayrshire are at opposite ends of the A71 Edinburgh-Calders-Kilmarnock road just as London Road Edinburgh and London England are at opposite ends of the A1 Edinburgh-London Road, other examples being Lanark Road, Lasswade Road, Dalkieth Road etc .... the name Dalry means rye meadow which would also be an accurate description of the gorgie-saughton area when Dalry Road was named / built.

Jamtarts-1874

According to a book I used to own. It was about the history of Gorgie and Dalry. Dalry is from a gaelic word meaning the Kings hunting grounds. And apparently there was a castle in the gorgie area and the name tynecastle is from another gaelic word meaning land near the castle.

There Sorted.

Maybe

1845042301.jpg

1845042302.jpg

From 1845 a half crown for a ton of manure

Thats progress Davy cos now you can get a ton of manure on JKB for nothing

:whistling: :whistling:

GC

Thats progress Davy cos now you can get a ton of manure on JKB for nothing

:whistling: :whistling:

GC

:o:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hagar the Horrible

Any body else notice that the Magdalene assylum is Robertsons Bar now? or at least next door??? :blink:

The People's Chimp

for all of you,

we are named after a nightclub in Edinburgh

Stunning historical insight, thanks.

Charlie-Brown

Any body else notice that the Magdalene assylum is Robertsons Bar now? or at least next door??? :blink:

The Magdalene Asylum still exists it is now called Springfield House - it was were unmarried mothers went to have children.

for all of you,

we are named after a nightclub in Edinburgh

Just as well our neighbors aint..Hibs vs Hearts at CC Blooms Park doesn't sound right.. :whistling:

I P Knightley

The Magdalene Asylum still exists it is now called Springfield House - it was were unmarried mothers went to have children.

Are you saying that Robertson's Bar is the first stop-off for Edinburgh's b*st*rds?:ermm:

Charlie-Brown

Are you saying that Robertson's Bar is the first stop-off for Edinburgh's b*st*rds?:ermm:

Robertsons Bar is only it's modern name - everybody knows it's really the GREEN TREE !

Hagar the Horrible

Robertsons Bar is only it's modern name - everybody knows it's really the GREEN TREE !

No its really Darwins waiting Room

Archived