Why Is Tynecastle Called Tynecastle?

Eggo

A simpler explanation is that these roads or streets were named after their original destination point ie Dalry Road Edinburgh and Dalry in Ayrshire are at opposite ends of the A71 Edinburgh-Calders-Kilmarnock road just as London Road Edinburgh and London England are at opposite ends of the A1 Edinburgh-London Road, other examples being Lanark Road, Lasswade Road, Dalkieth Road etc .... the name Dalry means rye meadow which would also be an accurate description of the gorgie-saughton area when Dalry Road was named / built.

Apologies CB, but, Dalry in Ayrshire is short for Dalriada and Dalry in Edinburgh is short for Dalrymple.

Charlie-Brown

Apologies CB, but, Dalry in Ayrshire is short for Dalriada and Dalry in Edinburgh is short for Dalrymple.

Why do you think or believe that?

Some interesting suggestions here as to the name origin

DALRY ROAD From Dalry Lane, D. 1827, leading to Dalry Manor House, the residence of the family of Chieslie, who acquired the property in the 16th century, the most famous of them being John Chieslic, who assassinated Sir George Lockhart, Lord President in 1689, and suffered death after torture. See o.& n.e. ii. 216 and i. 116. Dalry, gaelic, the King's Vale or Meadow. Dalry House, D. 1827. Barony of Dalry, Prot. 26/10/1530. Dalry Lane, Littlejohn Map. Wm. de Touris, Lord of Dalry, c.c. 23/2/1470-1.

http://www.edinburgh.org.uk/STREETS/part1/d.htm

Jamtarts-1874

DALRY ROAD From Dalry Lane, D. 1827, leading to Dalry Manor House, the residence of the family of Chieslie, who acquired the property in the 16th century, the most famous of them being John Chieslic, who assassinated Sir George Lockhart, Lord President in 1689, and suffered death after torture. See o.& n.e. ii. 216 and i. 116. Dalry, gaelic, the King's Vale or Meadow. Dalry House, D. 1827. Barony of Dalry, Prot. 26/10/1530. Dalry Lane, Littlejohn Map. Wm. de Touris, Lord of Dalry, c.c. 23/2/1470-1.

http://www.edinburgh.org.uk/STREETS/part1/d.htm

Posted that link a page ago

A simpler explanation is that these roads or streets were named after their original destination point ie Dalry Road Edinburgh and Dalry in Ayrshire are at opposite ends of the A71 Edinburgh-Calders-Kilmarnock road just as London Road Edinburgh and London England are at opposite ends of the A1 Edinburgh-London Road, other examples being Lanark Road, Lasswade Road, Dalkieth Road etc .... the name Dalry means rye meadow which would also be an accurate description of the gorgie-saughton area when Dalry Road was named / built.

An attractive theory

But the area around London road isn't called "London" and the area around "Lasswade" Road isn't called Lasswade etc and "Dundee Street" doesn't lead to Dundee, Similarly.Eglinton Crescent, Moray place, Crewe Road, Cornwall Street, Cambridge Street, Dublin Street and Hanover Street, Jamaica Street .

What's more Dalry Ayrshire isn't actually on the A71.

If it had been named after it's destination it would be "Kilmarnock Road" or simply "Calder Road" from the start

If you look at this map from 1874

National Library Map - Edin Dalry

You can zoom in and clearly see that the tenements to the east of the railbridge at GorgieRd/McLeod St. was called Tynecastle Terrace. This includes the Public House ( P.H.) foremerly the Green Tree.

I would estimate that just to the east of where the Merchie Hearts Club is located is the position of the Tynecastle T.P. (Turn Pike) and is shown as a barrier acroos Dalry Road.

There is no sign of the 'Old' Tynecastle ground, but I would think that I agree with the folk that link the name 'Toll' to Tyne

The map is full of interesting historical snippets of that area The Caley Brewery is there as is the Turn Pike on the Slateford Road, but what was the Merchiston Grove Building?

May be from the Gaelic or British word "tigh" meaning house with the add on "na caisell" meaning a mound or raised area. Giving the phrase "tigh na caisell" - House on the mound.

http://www.edinburgh...ETS/part1/d.htm

Because it just is. unsure.gif Or rather it's what I believed from my Scots history.

I always was under the impression that Dalry was part of the family estate of John Dalrymple, who was Lord Provost of Edinburgh in the 14th/15th Century. But it's not the first time I've been wrong.

The Dalry/Dalriada bit is something I read and stuck in my mind.

Charlie-Brown

Because it just is. unsure.gif Or rather it's what I believed from my Scots history.

I always was under the impression that Dalry was part of the family estate of John Dalrymple, who was Lord Provost of Edinburgh in the 14th/15th Century. But it's not the first time I've been wrong.

The Dalry/Dalriada bit is something I read and stuck in my mind.

No worries - here is what wikipedia says about 'Dalry' in Ayrshire.

Dalry (in Gaelic..?Dail-righ?) means "King's Valley" or more simply the "Rye Meadow"; indicating a small settlement on the Rye Burn.[3]Its history has signs of early inhabitants in the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalry,_North_Ayrshire

May be from the Gaelic or British word "tigh" meaning house with the add on "na caisell" meaning a mound or raised area. Giving the phrase "tigh na caisell" - House on the mound.

Just so.

"House o' Hill" - where have I heard that?

However because words become altered over time we will never know for sure.

"tigh na" would more likely sound "tin" rather than "tyne"...

If we went for the "tigh na" = house plus "castle" we could settle for "Our home is our castle" Quite like that!

The A71 ends in Irvine, not Kilmarnock.

Dalry is a wee sh***-hole and couldn't possible have a road named after it as far away as Edinburgh.

I'm concerned at the lack of information on the etymology of 'Gorgie' as it strikes me as a much stranger and more unusual placename than either Tynecastle or Dalry.

Surely mr 1893 can help here?

Interestingly, sometimes people mistake Dalry in Ayrshire for Dalry in Edinburgh especially in connection with a Hearts legend

Intrigued ? Read more in Issue 3 of eighteen74, out soon !

:whistling::whistling:

Shameless Plug Department

GC

for all of you,

we are named after a nightclub in Edinburgh

and that explains Callum Elliot's YouTube (how apt) footage ,he was wearing a founding member of our clubs shoes that he found in an old broom closet,he dreamed of replicating Roy of the Rovers cartoons "Billys Boots" and make himself a hero among us with darting runs into the box led by his mysterious shoes...instead he made darting sidesteps movements and made us all question his sexuality

The A71 ends in Irvine, not Kilmarnock.

Dalry is a wee sh***-hole and couldn't possible have a road named after it as far away as Edinburgh.

I'm concerned at the lack of information on the etymology of 'Gorgie' as it strikes me as a much stranger and more unusual placename than either Tynecastle or Dalry.

Surely mr 1893 can help here?

I've found a citation of "Gorgie Mills" as far back as 1711

http://sites.google.com/site/richardcooperengraver/home/richard-cooper---life-chronology

From the Archaeology Data Service

NOTES ON THE LANDS AND MANOR HOUSE OF GORGIE, EDINBURGH.

BY JOHN SMITH, P.S.A.ScoT.

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/PSAS_2002/pdf/vol_062/62_268_280.pdf

Gorgie, a western suburb of Edinburgh, is now incorporated with

and forms one of the wards of the city. For long a purely agricultural

district, it owes its origin to a stream or burn which meandered through

its lands. This stream, which bore the name of Gorgie Burn, had its

rise a little to the south, at the ponds at the base of Craiglockhart Hill.

Advantage was taken of its waters to drive a corn-mill which was

erected on its banks, thus forming the nucleus of the little hamlet

that arose to accommodate the miller and his servants. The lands of

Gorgie and its mill are closely interwoven with one another, but the

mill was of the greater importance, as for centuries the tenants and

owners were designated as being, not of G*orgie lands, but always of

Gorgie mylne.

• 5 months later...

From ancient toll of that name, o.& n.e. ii. 218. Kirkwood. Tynecastle, part of the estate of Merchiston, feued by the late John Alison from governors of George Watson's Hospital, who built house, circa 1793, eec.j.s. 30 June 1801. Mentioned in v.r. 41. Tynecastle Toll, m.t.c. 17/7/1816, 14/1/1834. Possibly derived by gaelic Tigh-na-caistel, or Tigh-an-chaisteil, meaning the castle near that place.

http://www.tynecastlelodge.org.uk/index.htm

This has nothing to do with our famous "park" but surely there must be a connection within the Gaelic meaning.

There's also a Tynecastle Crescent, Path and Street in the Springboig area of Glasgow alongside a couple of Haymarkets thrown in too.

In fact you'll find the name in the USA too so i can only assume the meaning from the above description is true as opposed to a local issue.

What you have to remember is simple humans name these streets.

Some are more simple than others and some should be in the institutions you describe.

The foresight from the persons that named Robertson Avenue and Fords Road ranks alongside Nostradamus.

I dont have a problem with streets being called Allen Breck, Balfour etc. at least they have Scottish origins.

However naming streets in Dalry starting with the word Easter should not be allowed to happen, do the cooncil not think about taxi drivers taking pashed passengers to Easter Drylaw when they actually slavered Easter Dalry.

Why name new areas in Gorgie, "Sinclair Place", when you could call them " Busbys Way ", i would move there.

We have some weird ones being named now, like "Kimmergame", not sure where that comes from, but people in power reading favourite books or inebriated or just plain mad can call streets just about anything they want.

scott herbertson

We should arrange for Tony Robinson to bring Time Team up to try and find the original Tynecastle Toll.

Then send them on to Fester Road to try and find anyone who saw Hibs last win the cup.

thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

Come on - the programme's based on them having some chance of success

Perhaps the team could search for Sauzee's glass bowl or whatever crap it was they gave him - he'll have chucked it away somewhere between Easter Road and Edinburgh Airport

The old city boundary of Edinburgh stopped at the west end of Dalry Cemetery. On what was then called Mid-Calder Rd (now Gorgie Rd) there was a toolbooth called Tynecastle Toll where the entrance to Springwell House now stands.

It is not known for certain where the name is derived but may be from the Gaelic Tigh-na-caistel.

EXACTLY THAT - its amazing how often this comes up.

And the original Tynecastle Park was on a site where Wardlaw Street (not Place) is currently situated.

CavySlaveJambo

An attractive theory

But the area around London road isn't called "London" and the area around "Lasswade" Road isn't called Lasswade etc and "Dundee Street" doesn't lead to Dundee, Similarly.Eglinton Crescent, Moray place, Crewe Road, Cornwall Street, Cambridge Street, Dublin Street and Hanover Street, Jamaica Street .

What's more Dalry Ayrshire isn't actually on the A71.

If it had been named after it's destination it would be "Kilmarnock Road" or simply "Calder Road" from the start

Neither is Dalry in Edinburgh is on the A70. A71 terminates at the end of Gorgie Road.

This was explained to me in the eighties:

The land on which The stadium now stands was formerly the site of a stately home belonging to Cagney and Lacey star, Tyne Daly. One of the conditions of the sale was that Hearts would acknowledge this by naming the ground 'Tyne's Castle', which, in time was contracted to Tynecastle.

Similarly 'Dalry' is a corruption of Daly.

Clearly "Tynecastle" comes from the name of the toll in the area. Where the toll got it's name is the mystery as no lands around there contain the name Tyne and there doesn't seem to be any record of a castle.

Could it be that a building by the toll - the toll house? Resembled the Tyne Castle in Northumberland?

748819483_a94a67c96b.jpg

It's not unlike the castle on the old Hearts crest.

mahgrassyshoes

What you have to remember is simple humans name these streets.

Some are more simple than others and some should be in the institutions you describe.

The foresight from the persons that named Robertson Avenue and Fords Road ranks alongside Nostradamus.

I dont have a problem with streets being called Allen Breck, Balfour etc. at least they have Scottish origins.

However naming streets in Dalry starting with the word Easter should not be allowed to happen, do the cooncil not think about taxi drivers taking pashed passengers to Easter Drylaw when they actually slavered Easter Dalry.

Why name new areas in Gorgie, "Sinclair Place", when you could call them " Busbys Way ", i would move there.

We have some weird ones being named now, like "Kimmergame", not sure where that comes from, but people in power reading favourite books or inebriated or just plain mad can call streets just about anything they want.

Stevenson road...:whistling:

My theory is its named after the River Tyne in East Lothian and the castle. Whats the real story?

I know your reading this Rab haha and I hope im proved right :thumbsup:

Your theory is way way off Buddy :rolleyes: I remember a thread on here in the past as does obviously Mr Mitchell it seems. I think he is along the correct lines and I think the location was where the old picture house is , think its now some kinda church

Just so.

"House o' Hill" - where have I heard that?

However because words become altered over time we will never know for sure.

"tigh na" would more likely sound "tin" rather than "tyne"...

If we went for the "tigh na" = house plus "castle" we could settle for "Our home is our castle" Quite like that!

The House O'Hill streets are at Blackhall I think?

This thread is very pleasing to my inner map/history geek. Fascinating stuff.

Archived