Uruguay v South Korea

Commander Harris

Fat Striker

It's because they think they're Italy. Really, they do. The two nations' styles are almost completely identical, and often, incredibly frustrating.

I think that's why I can't really warm to them.

Clearly talented with awesome strikers yet the tactics seem to be grab a goal then park the bus and only open up if necessary.

It's a bit joyless.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson

I think that's why I can't really warm to them.

Clearly talented with awesome strikers yet the tactics seem to be grab a goal then park the bus and only open up if necessary.

It's a bit joyless.

What's really needed to make people warm to them is what happens when they go behind. Believe me, it's frequently amazing. Not that I hope they fall behind in the next match - but the flipside to Uruguay can be fantastic to watch. Only when they need to, though: hence the exasperation with them much of the time.

Fat Striker

What's really needed to make people warm to them is what happens when they go behind. Believe me, it's frequently amazing. Not that I hope they fall behind in the next match - but the flipside to Uruguay can be fantastic to watch. Only when they need to, though: hence the exasperation with them much of the time.

When you see what they are capable of you wonder why they don't come out flying and try to get a 2 or 3 goal lead before shutting up shop.

It would help preserve their fans fingernails!

shaun.lawson

When you see what they are capable of you wonder why they don't come out flying and try to get a 2 or 3 goal lead before shutting up shop.

It would help preserve their fans fingernails!

Uruguay always insist on suffering, suffering, suffering. Almost always a third-placed qualifier at the Copa America, then play great against quality opponents in the knock-outs. So why not win the group in the first place, you muppets? 5th over and over again in World Cup qualifying, meaning a knife-edge play-off. 16th out of the 16 qualifiers for the second round in 1986 and 1990. And when they finally win a World Cup group and give themselves an ideal path forward, they stumble and struggle like they did today.

It's ridiculous. I don't fully understand it, but suspect it stems from them being such a small country, meaning they adopt a needlessly defensive mentality. And sure - even the best Uruguay sides were only ever counter-attacking teams: Uruguay might well have been the first great counter-attacking side in the history of international football. But a bit more imagination, a bit more positivity, really wouldn't go amiss.

Archived