USA! USA! USA!

Buffalo Bill

Argentina as the fallback option in the quarters too! Go on the Germans tonight!

USA

USA

USA

:D

Chad Sexington

England's route was just made fiendishly more difficult by TEAM USA. :thumbsup:

WAY TO GO!!!

Olympic_Face_Painting_1a.jpg

Dusk_Till_Dawn

There's a fine line between success and failure.

Anyone know what it's called?

There's a fine line between success and failure.

Anyone know what it's called?

Ability?

Watched the USA game from start to finish. A more deserved last minute goal, at this world cup, there won't be.

They should have been about 5-0 up when Donovan scored the winner including Dempsey hitting the post and controversially having a goal disallowed. Just from the way both sides had played in the first two matches I was supporting America. But by the end I was just about singing 'The Star Spangled Banner'. Algeria had taken more chances than in previous games, which led to the winner, but they still weren't doing enough to deserve a win, or even a goal. When Donovan scored, I was going mental but wasn't even aware the goal won them the group and put England into second. That was a cheeky bonus.

One last point to make about the late sending off, I've barely seen a ref get it more wrong. Three Algerian players were screaming in the refs face after a nothing decision to USA at a Algeria corner. The Algerian captain stepped in to pull these guys away from the ref, as was given a second yellow card for dissent!? My sympathies for the guy were shortlived, however, as the commentator pointed out that 15 minutes earlier he'd gotten away with blatantly throwing a fist at Clint Dempsey, at a USA set-piece.

FireHearts98

What a relief, watched the game with family an friends, thank god we won!!!!

He's Landon Donovan

He's All-American

He Scores For Everton

And Beats Algerians

How do you like them tomales uh? WTFG USA :)

one and a half hours of polynomials now, and then hopefully see Germany top their group :)

Commander Harris

I think I might hop on the USA bandwagon. ?

MON THE STATES!

shaun.lawson

Group winners over SHAN.LAWSON'S mob.

And fully deserved too. The Boston Tea Party was not avenged. :(

Carl Spackler

I have just discovered this fact via Kickback! What decided that the USA went through top given same points, Goal difference and the fact they drew? Was it the toss of a coin?

Commander Harris

I have just discovered this fact via Kickback! What decided that the USA went through top given same points, Goal difference and the fact they drew? Was it the toss of a coin?

I'm presuming goals scored, but not sure. ?

They scored 4 goals to England's 2.

broughies tach

I know of one kickbacker who has been supporting the States since day one even going to the extent of having his two kids face painted with the stars n' stripes 9 hours before the game against England. A tough ask of the wee lads even in Musselburgh :rolleyes:

He wasn't brave enough to come into the Staggs with his face painted then but we are all looking forward to it on Saturday :whistling:

Carl Spackler

I'm presuming goals scored, but not sure. ?

They scored 4 goals to England's 2.

Of course aye. The table I was looking at just showed goal difference and so it didn't click.

USA! Hit the scorebag more times than England. Alright! High Five!

I know of one kickbacker who has been supporting the States since day one even going to the extent of having his two kids face painted with the stars n' stripes 9 hours before the game against England. A tough ask of the wee lads even in Musselburgh :rolleyes:

He wasn't brave enough to come into the Staggs with his face painted then but we are all looking forward to it on Saturday :whistling:

Need a lot of paint to cover that puss

broughies tach

Need a lot of paint to cover that puss

Ran out of Blue White and Red gloss paint in the B&Q at Newcraighall was his excuse :whistling:

shaun.lawson

Very well deserved outcome for USA. The disallowed "goal" against Slovenia was outrageous.

As was the ref's failure to send an American off in the first minute of that game. About which, strangely, nothing was said at all.

broughies tach

As was the ref's failure to send an American off in the first minute of that game. About which, strangely, nothing was said at all.

When was the last time you saw anyone in any game sent off in the first minute ? There I've mentioned it Happy <_<

shaun.lawson

When was the last time you saw anyone in any game sent off in the first minute ? There I've mentioned it Happy <_<

So a red card offence is not a red card offence if committed in the first minute? What? Have you rewritten the laws of football now?

So a red card offence is not a red card offence if committed in the first minute? What? Have you rewritten the laws of football now?

What was it? I must have missed that.

broughies tach

A red card offence is a red card offence if the referee sees it that way Obviously the offence you allude to obviously wasn't. What ? Do you know better than FIFA ?

You obviously watched your team this afternoon when the ref there thought that 2 tackles in the early minutes by England players were not yellow cards much to even 'Lawro's' surprise (how bad are Guy n' Lawro by the way !!)

Never mind dry yer eyes yer through from what was it the SUN called it "The EASY" section in second place Well for one more game at least :whistling:

broughies tach

What was it? I must have missed that.

So did the ref obviously and the rest of us

shaun.lawson

A red card offence is a red card offence if the referee sees it that way Obviously the offence you allude to obviously wasn't. What ? Do you know better than FIFA ?

You obviously watched your team this afternoon when the ref there thought that 2 tackles in the early minutes by England players were not yellow cards much to even 'Lawro's' surprise (how bad are Guy n' Lawro by the way !!)

Never mind dry yer eyes yer through from what was it the SUN called it "The EASY" section in second place Well for one more game at least :whistling:

:rofl:

Brilliant, that man. You've just ruled irrelevant most debates on this website after games involving Hearts and the Old Firm, or many other SPL opponents. England were fortunate with the incidents you mentioned, and both commentators realised it.

Throughout the group stages, the US played with passion, spirit, and very well. They deserve to win the group. But amid all their constant greeting after the Slovenia match, Dempsey's elbow wasn't even mentioned, nor Bob Bradley's bizarre decision to go back to a flat back four at 2-2. The Americans were complaining again earlier: but their disallowed goal today was - just - offside.

Buffalo Bill

SHAUNOFTHEDEAD.LAWSON is SEETHING at the USA and is now FABRICATING evidence to make it seem as if there should've been a RED card.

broughies tach

Brilliant, that man. You've just ruled irrelevant most debates on this website after games involving Hearts and the Old Firm, or many other SPL opponents. England were fortunate with the incidents you mentioned, and both commentators realised it.

Throughout the group stages, the US played with passion, spirit, and very well. They deserve to win the group. But amid all their constant greeting after the Slovenia match, Dempsey's elbow wasn't even mentioned, nor Bob Bradley's bizarre decision to go back to a flat back four at 2-2. The Americans were complaining again earlier: but their disallowed goal today was - just - offside.

Brilliant that man I only paraphrased your argument however you seem to see things that others don't.

As for the USA the decision to go for a flat back 4 was taken after the wrong decision to rule off the goal that would have made it 3-2 or at least have given them the award of a penalty to give them the chance. Today their disallowed goal was - just - extremely questionable

Even to the extent that the God Shearer had to say 'Ooooooooh that was close'

Before you reply I am paraphraseing you again and I know that you can't be just offisde which the funsters Guy n' Lawro alluded to when the banter went something along the lines of.....................

Lawro : Yes he was offside (when talking about Defoe)

Guy : Just

Lawro : Yes unjust

Rib tickling stuff can't wait for more of the same on Sunday

shaun.lawson

Brilliant that man I only paraphrased your argument however you seem to see things that others don't.

As for the USA the decision to go for a flat back 4 was taken after the wrong decision to rule off the goal that would have made it 3-2 or at least have given them the award of a penalty to give them the chance. Today their disallowed goal was - just - extremely questionable

Even to the extent that the God Shearer had to say 'Ooooooooh that was close'

Before you reply I am paraphraseing you again and I know that you can't be just offisde which the funsters Guy n' Lawro alluded to when the banter went something along the lines of.....................

Lawro : Yes he was offside (when talking about Defoe)

Guy : Just

Lawro : Yes unjust

Rib tickling stuff can't wait for more of the same on Sunday

Lawro's a royal pain in the arse. Everyone knows that. But offside is still offside, even if it's by a bawhair: you don't get to claim offside goals as real goals because they were only just offside! And you're wrong about the US coach: he made that decision as soon as they'd made it 2-2, which baffled me, and Martin Keown in the commentary box too.

shaun.lawson

SHAUNOFTHEDEAD.LAWSON is SEETHING at the USA and is now FABRICATING evidence to make it seem as if there should've been a RED card.

:D

The evidence is there in glorious technicolour, BB. But congratulations, nonetheless: a semi-final place is a real possibility for the US of A.

Its tough to understand how one man can talk so much nonsense on so many threads

Congrats to second placed england it was EASY right enough

broughies tach

Lawro's a royal pain in the arse. Everyone knows that. But offside is still offside, even if it's by a bawhair: you don't get to claim offside goals as real goals because they were only just offside! And you're wrong about the US coach: he made that decision as soon as they'd made it 2-2, which baffled me, and Martin Keown in the commentary box too.

Jeez you baffled Cannae believe it :whistling:

As for offside that is exactly what I was trying to say

The word WOOSH (if is in the Oxford English as a word that is) springs to mind.

So come on big boy explain the third USA 'goal' which you choose to ignore much the same as the rest of the world allegedly do with this sending off offence in the first minute.

Delighted for the USA. Despite Spain being my team of choice it's the USA who have so far had me cheering at the tv.

Long may it continue. :thumbsup:

Shaun, I don't know what TV feed you're watching but all of the US commentators (who all come from Scotland or England anyway!) in the Slovenia game remarked upon how lucky Dempsey was to stay in the game in the first few minutes. The U.S. studio guys echoed that feeling. However, there have been some blatant wrong calls against the U.S. too.

Does anybody REALLY know why there are no video replays for doubtful calls? Probably all Americans think that this is madness, and as one said to me today, "I enjoyed the win, but it was damped down but knowing that we'd already scored a goal that was wrongly disallowed for offside."

By the way, Dempsey got a blatant elbow in the face off the ball today....and the perpatrator got away with it. Would have been a straight red on video.....but doesn't the "4th official" watch that?

shaun.lawson

Shaun, I don't know what TV feed you're watching but all of the US commentators (who all come from Scotland or England anyway!) in the Slovenia game remarked upon how lucky Dempsey was to stay in the game in the first few minutes. The U.S. studio guys echoed that feeling. However, there have been some blatant wrong calls against the U.S. too.

Does anybody REALLY know why there are no video replays for doubtful calls? Probably all Americans think that this is madness, and as one said to me today, "I enjoyed the win, but it was damped down but knowing that we'd already scored a goal that was wrongly disallowed for offside."

By the way, Dempsey got a blatant elbow in the face off the ball today....and the perpatrator got away with it. Would have been a straight red on video.....but doesn't the "4th official" watch that?

To be fair, I'm basing my take on USA-Slovenia on the many articles I read afterwards about how the US were "robbed", how it was a scandal and so on. But had it been 11 v 10 with 89 minutes remaining, it's awfully hard to see how it'd even have finished 2-2, let alone 3-2 to the Americans! Good that the studio pundits were honest about it at the time; but it seemed to be completely forgotten afterwards.

Why aren't there video replays? I think it's because FIFA love the controversy; and controversy means ratings. Think of the Hand of God: doesn't that add immeasurably to Maradona's legend? Think of Thierry Henry: his handball created an diplomatic incident between France and Ireland. Decades later, we still talk about incidents such as these - and only football has the power to move entire nations. Bring in video replays, and I think you'd lose something that makes football what it is: because at this level, it's never been about justice. It's about drama. And any drama requires heroes and villains, doesn't it?

I'm not saying it's right. I do think that's the rationale, though.

Shaun...you're SERIOUS????

Nah....FIFA can't stand the clear light of day when they already have their heads in the sand! It's coming....the 93rd minute U.S goal did today was graet but stopped video replays coming quicker.

Archived