MotoGP

Sooperstar

I know there are a few fans on here so just wanted to make sure everyone was aware that the new season kicks off tonight.

First race is in Qatar, under floodlights for the first time ever. Starts on BBC 3 at 8pm, programme starts 7.30.

Jorge Lorenzo on pole with new boy James Toseland in second. Vali down in 7th having changed tyres to Bridgestone after struggling a bit last year. Should be a good start to a good season.

The White Cockade

James Toseland lives over here on the IOM so good luck to him

I'm a Rossi man myself though

Go Vale!!!

Smart money would still go on Stoner

Ducatti still the best package

Well done to Stoner and Ducati, and to Toseland for a decent debut.

Great performance by the Brits in the 125s, although Bradley Smith's Aprilia is jinxed. Passini had similarly bad luck on it last year.

Forza Ducati. :)

Looks like Ducati might have to much straight line speed for the rest of the field again this year.

The other teams need to get their fingers out.

Baws missed it.

Any one know if its repeated?

It's on Eurosport tonight at 8pm. Not a classic race but showed there is potential for close racing this season.

The statistics on the lighting of the track are amazing, as are the arial shots of the track lit up.

It's on Eurosport tonight at 8pm. Not a classic race but showed there is potential for close racing this season.

The statistics on the lighting of the track are amazing, as are the arial shots of the track lit up.

Excellent, cheerz tazio.

The other teams need to get their fingers out.

A couple of the Japanese teams are pushing for a rev limit under the guise of a safety measure. The Duke can do over 20,000 rpm due to its desmo valves, which the Japanese are struggling to match. They are clearly hurting at being humiliated by a company that is a fraction of their size. As for the safety thing, Ducati has already pointed out that riders rarely fall off on the straights which is where revs are at their peak.

What's Japanese for sour grapes? :sad:

A couple of the Japanese teams are pushing for a rev limit under the guise of a safety measure. The Duke can do over 20,000 rpm due to its desmo valves, which the Japanese are struggling to match. They are clearly hurting at being humiliated by a company that is a fraction of their size. As for the safety thing, Ducati has already pointed out that riders rarely fall off on the straights which is where revs are at their peak.

Cat baws.

Looking forward to seeing it tonight.

The Mighty Thor

The Duke's topping out at over 22,000 RPM. It's an amazing feat of engineering, the engine is bombproof, but still you need a decent jockey on these things as Melandri romping in 11th shows. Stoner's got talent.

I think the Yamaha will give them a run this year especially once Toseland gets his mitts on the pneumatic valved engine in Portugal, and i reckon Rossi's made a monumental F up going with bridgestone, he'll be lucky to keep Lorenzo at bay.

Honda are in dire straits and Suzuki and Kawasaki are making up the numbers again.

Never mind sour grapes in moto GP the World Superbike boys are really whining about Ducati running a 1200cc which revs out at 20K plus.....

Actually fair play to anyone that can ride a Ducati, i've been on a 1098 and the riding positon is set for a 5 soot tall, 16 year old romanian gymnast and not a 6 foot tall 40 year old with a Scottish diet. :)

Actually fair play to anyone that can ride a Ducati

I've got a 998. Murder on the wrists when you ride it for the first time in a few months. Soon get used to it though.

The Mighty Thor
I've got a 998. Murder on the wrists when you ride it for the first time in a few months. Soon get used to it though.

I remember you saying you were on one. Very nice bike.

I binned the GSX-R last autumn in favour of a Triumph Sprint ST 1050, it's an oasis of higher bars and a seat that's comfortable.......and detachable luggage :eek:

it was out for it's 2008 debut a few weeks ago and it's got me back into biking in a big way.

Roll on the spring :)

Never ridden a Sprint but they always get good road test reviews.

My 998 is getting dropped off tonight. It's been away for its annual service and MOT.

The Mighty Thor
Never ridden a Sprint but they always get good road test reviews.

My 998 is getting dropped off tonight. It's been away for its annual service and MOT.

Happy days. You'll be taking it out for a run tonight of course;)

The Sprint's a good bike if you're doing a big trip (it's phenomenal two up) but it's a heavy old unit if you're pounding around the back-roads of East Lothian (responsibly of course). The only criticism is the brakes could be a bit sharper and you need to change out the stock headlight lamps as they are pish. Otherwise the triple has loads of torque and with an afermarket can and engine map it's good for 120bhp at the back wheel!

The GSX-R left me crippled if i did a 200 mile day!

The 998 is going straight into the garage. Might take it out at the weekend depending on the weather.

Which gixxer did you have?

The Mighty Thor
The 998 is going straight into the garage. Might take it out at the weekend depending on the weather.

Which gixxer did you have?

I Had a 600 (56 plate) It was a really good bike, light as a feather and a fantastic engine but a killer on the back, knees and wrists. My brother had the 53 plate 600 and it was just a bit bigger all round and a bit less painful to ride.

I know what you mean. The latest sports 600s are tiny and their litre brothers aren't much bigger. Last year I was down at Two Wheels and the only way I could tell the difference between the CBR600 and Blade was to look at the logos. :eek:

The Mighty Thor
I know what you mean. The latest sports 600s are tiny and their litre brothers aren't much bigger. Last year I was down at Two Wheels and the only way I could tell the difference between the CBR600 and Blade was to look at the logos. :eek:

I took the Gixxer thou out on test before i bought the Sprint, WTF are bike designers on? The factory cans make it look like a wheelbarrow the stupid 3 stage power setting is just a gimmick and pish rear suspension ruled it right out, the blade is not worth the money IMO and the R1 is a widowmaker.

The Tiger is a cracking bike if you like all that long way round nonsense.

I think it's an age thing, i wanted a bike that i could take a day's riding on and still be able to walk and hold a beer.

Too old for a gixxer and too young for a Harley!:)

Mind you the Desmo R at the bike show on Saturday was a real thing of beauty.

The White Cockade

Stoner looking likely champion already

Rossi eventually got the Bridgestone tyres he wanted and then

ended up miles behind his teammate who is on the old ones....

BBC commentators reckon he should have stuck with the Michelins

the R1 is a widowmaker.

Mind you the Desmo R at the bike show on Saturday was a real thing of beauty.

I've ridden my mate's R1. I told him to get a steering damper. After the Duke's well-planted front end, I was cacking myself. :eek:

The Desmo is awesome. I know the bloke who got the first one in the UK.

Rossi eventually got the Bridgestone tyres he wanted

The Doctor is in danger of looking extremely foolish and undermining all the great things he's achieved.

He needs to get on a Ducati. ;)

The Mighty Thor
I've ridden my mate's R1. I told him to get a steering damper. After the Duke's well-planted front end, I was cacking myself. :eek:

The Desmo is awesome. I know the bloke who got the first one in the UK.

The Jap bike makers are just chasing size and weight reductions and bhp increases. It's pointless. They're creating bikes with bhp that they can't put down and front ends that can't be tamed. The best bike out there is the gixxer 750, everything is just about right but it's just physically too small.

The Jap bike makers are just chasing size and weight reductions and bhp increases.

Correct. I used to have Blades etc, then took a sensible pill and decided to get out of the lightest/fastest race. Totally pointless.

The Mighty Thor
Correct. I used to have Blades etc, then took a sensible pill and decided to get out of the lightest/fastest race. Totally pointless.

Agreed.

Join us next week on growing old on bikes disgracefully :)

ps disturbed by the fox creek leathers advert at the base of the page......it's like a outfitters for CC blooms :eek:

Archived