Underage drinking

Currahee!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in a previous post I confess to underage drinking. I had my first beer at 16, not in a park but in the Shakespeare Lothian Road. My buddies and I ordered Black and Tans, see that convinced the barman we were of age and knew what we were doing.Or mebbe he just didn't give a f.

At the age of 17 I went to the army, home on leave still seventeen I was served beer with impunity. Old enough to serve, old enough to be served seemed to be the policy.

I suspect my son started with a few beers around the same age. He ran into a problem at seventeen. He borrowed the car to go camping, at the camp site the Mounties checked them. Four of them. They searched the car found beer and charged them. One kid his Dad took him to the doctor and he went for treatment for emotional problems. Crown dropped the charges. A second boy went6 to Crown Counsel and explained he was joining the army and a record would stop this, he and the boy who went with him were also released from any charges. I took my son to see Crown Counsel, I said it was a bit raw and not equal justice if one out of four is charged, she said an offence was committed and someone had to be held responsible, and as it was my son's car he was the one.

To say I was not happy is an understatement, I won't repeat what was said but it was in the line that because she was ugly, and her personal hygiene was questionable, she had her own problems and was bitter. She I must say responded pretty well about her opinion of me. My son was eventually fined $70.00 and the Judge agreed with the prosecutor that someone had to pay for this horrendous crime.

There have been a lot of posts in this thread, of course for me it is a different age altogether. I think fourteen is young to be drinking. I also concede that how someone raises their child is their business. I may not agree but as I have just related, I had, although the perfect parent, my own problems. The only thing I can say is there are some problems with your kids that a hard approach is necessary, I still believe with drink and even drugs an initial parental counselling and a thorough explanation of the dangers and pitfalls of becoming unable to make proper decisions is important. The thing most of us have going in this respect is lots of experience personal or observing others making serious mistakes.

Hannibal Lecter

As some have linked underage drinking to sexual encounters I wreckon it would be interesting to find out what age folk were when they first jumped on the happy train and if alcohol was involved.

Think i was 14 and sober.

I was 15 and also sober bud.

Tommy Wiseau

Teacher eh, my youngest has had trouble at school with a kid with learning difficulties.

TBH, should not be there as he cant play with other kids without kicking off.

Told my son to distance himself from him, but the school cant seem to keep them apart.

I was no angel at school, but my mum and dad never got phone calls every 2nd day.

The police are never away from the school, PC gone mad again.

I hope this was a pun, Doug, because if it was it was a beauty. :laugh:

It's a difficult situation - inclusion is a huge thing in education these days, but it does mean that more challenging children are part of the mainstream school community than would have been in the past. Sounds like your boy and this other kid are both finding the situation quite difficult to cope with. Have you spoken to the school about your concerns? There's only so much they can do, but maybe one of them (or both of them) could switch classes to give them some space from each other? If they are in the same class, that is. Maybe the lad with the additional support needs could be given more support to help him out, or different kinds of support - that's a legal right of all children in Scotland, to get any additional support they require.

Doctor FinnBarr

When I was 16-18 my dad used to pick me up a wee case to take to house parties. His reasoning being that it's better for him to buy me a few beers than me paying some other older person to buy me spirits.

I was always too young looking to get served in pubs (apart from the market bar in Inverness) so parties were the only place I could drink. He never seemed to mind.

Still don't like being being drunk in front of him though.

Is that the one up a lane?

turned.gif

14 is too young to be drinking anything at all anywhere. Alot of my mates did, but I didn't.

When I was 15 my old man laid down the rules. Basically, if I tried to booze behind him and mums back I was dead. If I wandered the streets drinking or boozed in Victoria Park I was dead. If cheap cider or straight spirit was my drink of choice and he caught me before, during or after I was dead. If we sneaked into a mates free house to booze when no sensible adults were around I was dead.

However - dad told me to tell him when I was able to get served booze in a pub without illegal fake ID and he might not kill me.

About 4 months after my 16th birthday, I told him me and my mates were drinking in Smithies and/or Stags Head Cannonmills after work (we worked part time supermarket close by) on a Friday night, and had been for a few weeks. Despite his promise, I thought he might still kill me. He didn't.

The following Friday he came and stood with me and four of my mates at the bar. A legendary night out the four of us still reminisce about about almost 15 years later, every one of us was absolutely cattled by closing time. As far as dad was concerned, if bar staff were dozy enough to serve us, we were boozing in a safe environment. He satisfied himself we were drinking proper drinks, proper measures, properly and maturely, age 16-17.

From that night onwards, dad was comfortable that I could handle alcohol and my weekends didn't have to be a secret. And I'd quite often go for a few beers with the old man.

:blink:

Doctor FinnBarr

blink.gif

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.

PS. Why badword bother?

down.gif

Badword instead of a word that starts with f and is badword, smashin!

siegementality

I'd have thought the Market Bar in Inverness would be quite daunting for someone underage. I felt about five when I went for a pint in there and I was 23 at the time!

I never once had a problem with the plod about underage drinking.

A few tins of cider or lager whilst playing football at the schools astroturf of a saturday evening was enough for me and my mates until we were legal :thumbsup:

I'd have thought the Market Bar in Inverness would be quite daunting for someone underage. I felt about five when I went for a pint in there and I was 23 at the time!

Great boozer. Not been there in about three years. Looking forward to seeing it again first away game at Inverness!

Loved that place. Played my first ever gig there. Saw Paolo Nutini play there before he got big (I know, not a huuuuge deal...) Just a good boozer.

Great boozer. Not been there in about three years. Looking forward to seeing it again first away game at Inverness!

Loved that place. Played my first ever gig there. Saw Paolo Nutini play there before he got big (I know, not a huuuuge deal...) Just a good boozer.

Quite amusing to think of Paolo Nutini hopping up on to the big stage in the Market Bar.

The downstairs bit looked alright, but the real experience is obviously upstairs. I quite liked it too, it pisses all over griefholes like Deenos.

Quite amusing to think of Paolo Nutini hopping up on to the big stage in the Market Bar.

The downstairs bit looked alright, but the real experience is obviously upstairs. I quite liked it too, it pisses all over griefholes like Deenos.

In all the time I lived in Inverness (I moved away about two months before I turned 19) I never once drank in Deenos.

The Market was/is the only bar I have ever considered a local. Upstairs is where it's at. A decent jukebox, never any hassle and good, honest people. Downstairs is decent too, the two never seemed to mix when I was there though. I think I stepped foot inside the downstairs bit three times.

I was asked to get change for upstairs a few times though. They trust their locals in that place. I'd get handed two twenty pound notes and stroll down, get the change and bring it back up.

I don't know if you know it well or have just visited but is it Speedy that still runs the place? Also, if you know, does Billy Morrison still play in there? He was a great guy who let me borrow his guitar a few times.

In all the time I lived in Inverness (I moved away about two months before I turned 19) I never once drank in Deenos.

The Market was/is the only bar I have ever considered a local. Upstairs is where it's at. A decent jukebox, never any hassle and good, honest people. Downstairs is decent too, the two never seemed to mix when I was there though. I think I stepped foot inside the downstairs bit three times.

I was asked to get change for upstairs a few times though. They trust their locals in that place. I'd get handed two twenty pound notes and stroll down, get the change and bring it back up.

I don't know if you know it well or have just visited but is it Speedy that still runs the place? Also, if you know, does Billy Morrison still play in there? He was a great guy who let me borrow his guitar a few times.

I've actually only been in the once, my dad lives in Inverness and it was my stepbrother's local when he went to Inverness College.

The one time I was in there was a very obvious distinction between the two levels, the jukebox was memorable now you mention it. As was the head I got on my pint.

It seemed like a welcoming place in an understated way, if that makes any sense.

Might pop in on Saturday :thumbsup:

mrmarkus1981

I dont have kids (yet) and i am certainly not looking forward to this scenario!

I had my first drink (drunken experience) when i was 13. We used to get a carry out and hide away somewhere where no one could see/hear us. Never got into trouble and didnt hang about the streets.

Drinking so early in my teenage years inevitably led to drugs (nothing serious), still never got into any trouble and by the time i was 18 i was done with them.

I think it really depends on her personality and who she hangs about with. I had to be in at 10pm when i was a teenagher though, so there wasnt any real danger of getting into bother late at night.

Whats an acceptable time to make your kids come inside these days?

Guest C00l K1d

I dont have kids (yet) and i am certainly not looking forward to this scenario!

I had my first drink (drunken experience) when i was 13. We used to get a carry out and hide away somewhere where no one could see/hear us. Never got into trouble and didnt hang about the streets.

Drinking so early in my teenage years inevitably led to drugs (nothing serious), still never got into any trouble and by the time i was 18 i was done with them.

I think it really depends on her personality and who she hangs about with. I had to be in at 10pm when i was a teenagher though, so there wasnt any real danger of getting into bother late at night.

Whats an acceptable time to make your kids come inside these days?

Depends on your parents. I've to be in for 12.30-1am but my mates are allowed to saunter in whenever they want.

Depends on your parents. I've to be in for 12.30-1am but my mates are allowed to saunter in whenever they want.

Yep same with me. about 12.30 - 1 am

I was about 1, until I hit 16.

Then it was if my Mum stopped worrying, and can now get home pretty much whenever I want.

He is not turning a blind eye he is watching what she is doing.It is controlled.You tell her no she is just going to say **** you dad.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

An update.

We had a talk about the dangers of drinking and what can happen. She has been told in no uncertain terms that drinking in the park is not on. Not now and not even when she's old enough.

I also made her go to see her pals mum to say sorry. She was hating the thought of doing that and again I told her if she hadn't been drinking then she wouldn't have had to.

There were tears so I think she's sorry and won't be doing anything stupid in the near future. Hopefully.

Cheers. thumbsup.gif

An update.

We had a talk about the dangers of drinking and what can happen. She has been told in no uncertain terms that drinking in the park is not on. Not now and not even when she's old enough.

I also made her go to see her pals mum to say sorry. She was hating the thought of doing that and again I told her if she hadn't been drinking then she wouldn't have had to.

There were tears so I think she's sorry and won't be doing anything stupid in the near future. Hopefully.

I'm not a parent myself yet, but I like to think if when I am I'd have played it like this. Well done mate.

Yep same with me. about 12.30 - 1 am

12.30 - 1 am !!! Jesus wept. I'm 45 and she'd slaughter me if I stayed out that late. :whistling:

I'm not a parent myself yet, but I like to think if when I am I'd have played it like this. Well done mate.

I am a parent and I totally agree with you. :thumbsup:

An update.

Basically what I would have done, think you done all you could. You accepted your responsibility and thats what its all about.

Guest C00l K1d

An update.

Best thing to do.

When i was 14 and i got caught the first time, my dad grounded me. When i got out, the first weekend out i done the same thing again. And i got grounded again.

I continued to do it like, maybe not as much but i still done it, being a bit wiser and no getting caught though.

I think i done it because i knew i wasn't supposed to, thinking it was 'cool.' If you let your daughter drink, under your supervision i think the whole 'going against the rules' attitude will go out the window and she wont feel the want to do it, because she is allowed (of course, under your supervision)

Thanks to everyone who replied. :thumbsup:

It seems we've got through to her. Well thats how it seems at the moment anyway. :whistling:

Archived