Underage drinking

Currahee!

My daughter and her pals were meant to be staying over tonight and left to muck about around 5ish.

Just had my daughters pals mum at the door saying they've been seen drinking in the park. (They're 14).

What do I do about this?

When I was 14 I was caught by the polis and taken home.

So I feel a bit of a hypocrite having to give her a telling off.

How do I handle this one?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gigolo-Aunt

Would not go nuts, but at the same time would have a right good chat about it.

Think most folk were up to this when they were younger - so its hard to take the moral high ground.

What were they drinking?

Would not go nuts, but at the same time would have a right good chat about it.

Think most folk were up to this when they were younger - so its hard to take the moral high ground.

What were they drinking?

They were drinking cider. Stolen from my daughters pals house.

I can't really say too much as I've been there and done that.

Still a bit pissed off with her though.

Show her some of the rubbish that is posted on here late at night.

That should terrify her seeing what drink can do to the human brain.

Maybe speak to her friend's parents, they're clearly able to get drink, so they're better doing it at one of your houses.

I remember when I was that age we used to drink outside, untill we got chased by chavs and my mate got the shite kicked out of him. After that we drank at his house as his mum was scared about him being outside and drunk at that age.

A Controlled environment is far better, even if you don't agree with what they're doing. You've got more control over what they're drinking and who they're with. Peace of mind more than anything else.

Guest juvehearts

what are you ment to say to it??

kids will be kids & will always try to 'grow up' fast

we (most of us on here) have all been at that magical age of 12-14 where your perception on life changes,

your body changes, your feelings change, you see things differently.

that park i used to go to where the swing was,well a swing, last year.

now its a seat to drink white lightening & strongbow on

it comes down to peer pressure & the fact that its a socially acceptable to have a wee drink.

oh im going to the pub, adverts on TV adsa 3 for ?20 cases of beer, to the world cup adverts.

its advertised at the football, on football shirts, in billboards, in shops.

no matter where kids go the temptation is there to..... have a wee drink.

this aint a new thing either, 12,20, even 25 years ago.

you think something would change more than it has now, but nope, the global bigwigs & the man, has us where they want us.

until money doesnt make the world go around it will always be like this

what can you do apart from teach, explain & hopefully one day they will take it in.

juve

Show her some of the rubbish that is posted on here late at night.

That should terrify her seeing what drink can do to the human brain.

:lol:

Maybe speak to her friend's parents, they're clearly able to get drink, so they're better doing it at one of your houses.

I remember when I was that age we used to drink outside, untill we got chased by chavs and my mate got the shite kicked out of him. After that we drank at his house as his mum was scared about him being outside and drunk at that age.

A Controlled environment is far better, even if you don't agree with what they're doing. You've got more control over what they're drinking and who they're with. Peace of mind more than anything else.

We had a bbq today and they arrived. They were wanting drink. My wife said they could have a few ciders but had to stay in.

They weren't happy at that so they've went out and stole some.

I wouldn't mind them having a few drinks with us. At least we can keep an eye on them that way.

Teenagers eh?

we (most of us on here) have all been at that magical age of 12-14 where your perception on life changes,

it comes down to peer pressure & the fact that its a socially acceptable to have a wee drink.

oh im going to the pub, adverts on TV adsa 3 for ?20 cases of beer, to the world cup adverts.

you think something would change more than it has now, but nope, the global bigwigs & the man, has us where they want us.

what can you do apart from teach, explain & hopefully one day they will take it in.

juve

Good point. :thumbsup:

Robbo-Jambo

My daughter and her pals were meant to be staying over tonight and left to muck about around 5ish.

Just had my daughters pals mum at the door saying they've been seen drinking in the park. (They're 14).

What do I do about this?

My daughter turned 18 last week so she can now go to the pub. :thumbsup: The bad news is between 14 and 18 its a NIGHTMARE !! Hope thats cheered you and the missus up. :lol:

My daughter turned 18 last week so she can now go to the pub. :thumbsup: The bad news is between 14 and 18 its a NIGHTMARE !! Hope thats cheered you and the missus up. :lol:

Oh aye it has. :rolleyes:

Cheers. At least your past it. we're just starting.

Its going to be a long 4 years....

Have to confess to underage drinking myself, but honestly feel 14 is a wee bit young. My son got caught when he was 17. I must admit have four grandchildren from 11 to 17, the two eldest are girls, I worry about them a bit more, there are so many weirdos with date rape drugs etc. No point in jumping up and down though this is a situation where a good Dad and daughter talk will probably pay more dividends.

Robbo-Jambo

Oh aye it has. :rolleyes:

Cheers. At least your past it. we're just starting.

Its going to be a long 4 years....

Im exaggerrating a wee bit. :whistling: Im sure she will be fine. If not threaten to buy her a season ticket for Easter Road that should do the trick. All the best. :thumbsup:

Beat the s**t out of the wee ****.

If shes anything like her mother with a drink in her I'll no bother. :whistling:

Miller Jambo 60

What do I do about this?

Why did super pals mother not tell them to get home.

Dont worry mate its a stage, the police only try and protect the kids.

My 15 year old and his mates do it and there is one way of stopping it.

Chain her or him to his room, no, that wont work.

Just say you care for her and you dont want her to get in to trouble wi the police.

Shouting does not work.

Doug, PS you are not alone.

Have to confess to underage drinking myself, but honestly feel 14 is a wee bit young. My son got caught when he was 17. I must admit have four grandchildren from 11 to 17, the two eldest are girls, I worry about them a bit more, there are so many weirdos with date rape drugs etc. No point in jumping up and down though this is a situation where a good Dad and daughter talk will probably pay more dividends.

She's now home and in tears. I'm letting the wife deal with it at the moment. They're upstairs talking.....hopefully not having a wee drink too.

I'll speak to her in the morning. :thumbsup:

Why did super pals mother not tell them to get home.

Dont worry mate its a stage, the police only try and protect the kids.

My 15 year old and his mates do it and there is one way of stopping it.

Chain her or him to his room, no, that wont work.

Just say you care for her and you dont want her to get in to trouble wi the police.

Shouting does not work.

Doug, PS you are not alone.

She did tell them to get home but was giving dogs abuse.

Thats not like my daughter. Just glad she didn't take offence. :thumbsup:

I know its part of growing up but when older lads are involved then I know what they'll be after.

A long talk in the morning will be had.

Miller Jambo 60

Beat the s**t out of the wee ****.

Mate im 6-2 14 stone, but i dont batter kids.

You ever say anything sensible.

Dougstar ps Wots the dr pashunsure.gif If you are , GOD HELP US.

Mind you Shipman rings a bell

A firm back hand across the face should do the trick.

:lol:

I'll refer you to post #16.

Miller Jambo 60

She did tell them to get home but was giving dogs abuse.

Thats not like my daughter. Just glad she didn't take offence. thumbsup.gif

I know its part of growing up but when older lads are involved then I know what they'll be after.

A long talk in the morning will be had.

Get the older boys and have a word, if that does not work, see their parents.

Easy for me mate as ive been there.

They are all at it, believe bud, boredum is their xcuse.

All i had at their age, was my boots and strip.

TBH, they are spoilt now.

Doug

We had a bbq today and they arrived. They were wanting drink. My wife said they could have a few ciders but had to stay in.

I wouldn't mind them having a few drinks with us. At least we can keep an eye on them that way.

Teenagers eh?

Have a word with a copper, and get him to scare the $ hit out of them by telling them they are going to be charged, and if they have a criminal record it could go against them when applying for jobs.

Easy for me mate as ive been there.

They are all at it, believe bud, boredum is their xcuse.

All i had at their age, was my boots and strip.

TBH, they are spoilt now.

Doug

You're right Doug, They're all spoilt now.

As for the older lads, once I've got they're names I'll have a quiet word.

Coz I've been there, done that, I think I'll be able to handle it ok. :thumbsup:

Have a word with a copper, and get him to scare the $ hit out of them by telling them they are going to be charged, and if they have a criminal record it could go against them when applying for jobs.

1 of her pals father is a copper.

he'll scare them.....hopefully. :thumbsup:

Miller Jambo 60

Bob i worry about my kids until they are in their rooms.

About date rape etc, that is on the increase, but they must be sad bassas that do it.

You have to explain to the kids that you love and care for them.

TBH its trial and error.

Doug

What do I do about this?

can`t believe an angel like you drinking underage spenner :whistling:

can`t believe an angel like you drinking underage spenner :whistling:

It was a one off Gregor. :whistling:

A mere slip in my growing up. Happened once and never again. :whistling:

Bairns though eh?

1 of her pals father is a copper.

he'll scare them.....hopefully. thumbsup.gif

Hopefully, that might do the trick even although so many of the posters on this topic have been through this same situation.

Hopefully, that might do the trick even although so many of the posters on this topic have been through this same situation.

It is a part of growing up. Just wish she'd stayed in and had a couple of drinks with her mum and me.

Its not the drinking that bothers me, its the aftermath!

Miller Jambo 60

juve

White lighting Iain, good quality Gorgie boys stuffthumbsup.gif

Like the Concorde i drank at Arbroath, teehee.gif

Doctor FinnBarr

Teenagers eh?

If the cider is Strongbow or the likes that really is bad news. Get them off this shite as soon as poss, it really is the tipple of problem drinkers. I could tell you a few stories of my time in the pub trade but it would take all night!

If they must drink make them stay in with you!

ninja.gif

Miller Jambo 60

If the cider is Strongbow or the likes that really is bad news. Get them off this shite as soon as poss, it really is the tipple of problem drinkers. I could tell you a few stories of my time in the pub trade but it would take all night!

ninja.gif

Is Blackthorn okunsure.gif

station hearts

try the silent treatment when you first see her,give it an hour or so then have that wee chat that you were hurt.then give her a wee kiss.you'll be the coolest dad again.(apart from me that is) good luck.

ninja.gif

It was Magner's.

The wife was happy enough for them to have a couple, but they couldn't go out. They had to stay with us.

try the silent treatment when you first see her,give it an hour or so then have that wee chat that you were hurt.then give her a wee kiss.you'll be the coolest dad again.(apart from me that is) good luck.

The silent treatment won't work with her.

She gives ME the silent treatment all the time. :whistling:

The wifes been speaking to her. They'll be best o pals again. :thumbsup:

Doctor FinnBarr

It was Magner's.

The wife was happy enough for them to have a couple, but they couldn't go out. They had to stay with us.

Not quite so bad-so full of gas your bagged up quickly!

thumbsup.gif

Not quite so bad-so full of gas your bagged up quickly!

thumbsup.gif

The ice loaded in the glass helps anyway. :thumbsup:

ninja.gif

Sorry but that is complete baws! If you pub had problem drinkers then it says far more about how you ran the pub than it does about what they chose to drink! Never in ten years working in pubs have I had any issue with people drinking cider of anykind far less strongbow!

It is a part of growing up. Just wish she'd stayed in and had a couple of drinks with her mum and me.

Its not the drinking that bothers me, its the aftermath!

I`m sure when you speak to her & explain that, then the chances are she will realise that it`s her well being your thinking of & she`s lucky to have parents who care so much for her.

I`m sure when you speak to her & explain that, then the chances are she will realise that it`s her well being your thinking of & she`s lucky to have parents who care so much for her.

Hopefully.

The thing is shes really quite bright and her pals are all quite sensible. I'm putting it all down to peer pressure.

Doctor FinnBarr

Sorry but that is complete baws! If you pub had problem drinkers then it says far more about how you ran the pub than it does about what they chose to drink! Never in ten years working in pubs have I had any issue with people drinking cider of anykind far less strongbow!

Sorry to disappoint but I never had a pub that sold Strongbow, just going by the carry-outs that some customers bought.(elsewhere)

mellow.gif

Why not tell her you don't mind her having a few drinks as long as she is sensible and does not get steamin(not on a school night either).Just try and control what she is drinking ie buying her a few bottles of WKD or something.That way you know she is drinking juice with a hint of alcohol and she can still keep up with her pals by drinking with them :thumbsup:.

Why not tell her you don't mind her having a few drinks as long as she is sensible and does not get steamin(not on a school night either).Just try and control what she is drinking ie buying her a few bottles of WKD or something.That way you know she is drinking juice with a hint of alcohol and she can still keep up with her pals by drinking with them :thumbsup:.

I think I must be getting old as I'm astonished at the amount of people on here advocating that the OP should be letting her drink as long as it's under family supervision? The girl is 14 for gods sake. If she was 16 then fair enough and I'd say fair enough but I think 14 is just too young to have booze in any circumstance.

Guest Atticus

I reckon that is terrible advice.

Family man taking on a gang of yoofs and accusing them of all being beasts who want in his daughters pants will not go down well, especially when they havnt even done anything wrong geek.gif

hughesie27

Kickback for parenting advice? Jeez.

You kid has been drinking underage. Sure we all done it. However that doesn't mean it should go unpunished or you should feel like a hypocrite for doing so. I imagine when you were caught you were giving a few skelps.

@@@@@.

Archived