Underage drinking

Currahee!

Doctor FinnBarr

I think I must be getting old as I'm astonished at the amount of people on here advocating that the OP should be letting her drink as long as it's under family supervision? The girl is 14 for gods sake. If she was 16 then fair enough and I'd say fair enough but I think 14 is just too young to have booze in any circumstance.

Question Taz, what age can someone drink in England and Wales? Beer that is.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question Taz, what age can someone drink in England and Wales? Beer that is.

Not a clue but I imagine you're going to tell me it's 14. And if it is then in my opinion it's too young.

Robbo-Jambo

I think I must be getting old as I'm astonished at the amount of people on here advocating that the OP should be letting her drink as long as it's under family supervision? The girl is 14 for gods sake. If she was 16 then fair enough and I'd say fair enough but I think 14 is just too young to have booze in any circumstance.

FFS get into the real world. I presume u dont have kids :unsure:

FFS get into the real world. I presume u dont have kids :unsure:

I live in the real world. I wasn't allowed to drink until I was 16 then I could have a can or two.

I'm all for kids being educated in sensible drinking I'm just giving my opinion, which is the point of a message board after all.

And I've just discovered the hilarious fact that you can legally drink at home if you are over five years old.

Not a clue but I imagine you're going to tell me it's 14. And if it is then in my opinion it's too young.

Whats the diffrence between a 14yo and a 16yo?

At that stage in your life quite a lot in terms of adult behaviour and understanding.

I'll avoid obvious bad taste jokes :whistling:

At that stage in your life quite a lot in terms of adult behaviour and understanding.

I'll avoid obvious bad taste jokes :whistling:

Really?

I don't see it.When I see the local neds drinking they act like pricks and want to fight.I know some of them are 18-19 and their is a few 13-14yos in their wee group.I don't think there is a diffrence between the ages of 13-17 now.

I am 22 and have never been in a drunken fight.I was always told of the dangers of getting too pissed.That is what the OP should be doing now.Making sure she is aware of what drink does and not to go overbored.As I was always told what girl wants to pump a slavering wreck :thumbsup:

Guest C00l K1d

I'm only 16. And aye, i do go out and drink, not so much in parks though, more at house parties. However i started drinking behind my parents back in parks when i was 14, 15 and when i did get caught my dad was raging and i didn't understand why because he had done it when he was younger.

However, you just need to tell your kids that you don't want them going out at that age and making the mistakes you did (no matter how fun it was).

Although if your kid is at that age, and you're not really bothered about it, you should buy it for them, so you know exactly what theyre drinking etc.

As i said im only 16, and it wasn't up until recently that my parents were alright with me drinking. Although, they still get angry if i come in leathered so you just need to set some rules.

Robbo-Jambo

Really?

I don't see it.When I see the local neds drinking they act like pricks and want to fight.I know some of them are 18-19 and their is a few 13-14yos in their wee group.I don't think there is a diffrence between the ages of 13-17 now.

I am 22 and have never been in a drunken fight.I was always told of the dangers of getting too pissed.That is what the OP should be doing now.Making sure she is aware of what drink does and not to go overbored.As I was always told what girl wants to pump a slavering wreck :thumbsup:

Good sensible post from a young lad of 22. Well said young man :thumbsup:

Guest C00l K1d

A lot. Tbh like from 16+ no one drinks in parks or anything like that. Except your a ned, which i suppose is a vast majority from each school.

I think its more to do with what kind of group you're in than the age.

hughesie27

As some have linked underage drinking to sexual encounters I wreckon it would be interesting to find out what age folk were when they first jumped on the happy train and if alcohol was involved.

Think i was 14 and sober.

Arrange with other parents to have them in the house drinking a very small amount, but mebbes get some snacks and their choice of dvds etc. in if you can so they have a safe place and something to keep the occupied therefore not wanting to drink loads.

Im not a parent myself like, but this kind of thing kept me and my mates from trouble at that age. We'd be left with a load of video games, a few cans of lager each and a few quid for a pizza. Just worked well in my expirience like.

As I was always told what girl wants to pump a slavering wreck thumbsup.gif

One who is also a slavering wreck, perhaps?

hughesie27

I will make it clear that I don't want my kids to dink before they are 17/18. However that doesn't necessarily mean I don't want them to drink before then. I think a big part of growing up is having secrets and doing all that bad stuff that your parents never know about. It's character building. As such, it should then be punished if/when I find out about it.

Guest C00l K1d

I will make it clear that I don't want my kids to dink before they are 17/18. However that doesn't necessarily mean I don't want them to drink before then. I think a big part of growing up is having secrets and doing all that bad stuff that your parents never know about. It's character building. As such, it should then be punished if/when I find out about it.

:blink: :blink:

A lot. Tbh like from 16+ no one drinks in parks or anything like that. Except your a ned, which i suppose is a vast majority from each school.

I think its more to do with what kind of group you're in than the age.

I aint a ned :down:

I often wonderd what the draw to Drinking at a Park/chippy/shop was.Is it the battery acid/cat piss cider or the amazing conversation?

Guest C00l K1d

I aint a ned :down:

I often wonderd what the draw to Drinking at a Park/chippy/shop was.Is it the battery acid/cat piss cider or the amazing conversation?

Aye i didnt mean your a ned. I meant that its normally just neds who drink in the parks when they're over 16.

Realised the mistake i made after i could edit :lol:

Aye i didnt mean your a ned. I meant that its normally just neds who drink in the parks when they're over 16.

Realised the mistake i made after i could edit :lol:

Yeah yeah I belive you :teehee:

I hate neds :angry:

Guest C00l K1d

Yeah yeah I belive you :teehee:

I hate neds :angry:

Who doesn't bud. What annoys me though is just because your young and wear a hooded jumper, your deemed a ned. Gets on my tats

Who doesn't bud. What annoys me though is just because your young and wear a hooded jumper, your deemed a ned. Gets on my tats

I had that the other day with the cops.Went out with the dog and took the bairn I had a zippy jumper on that has a hood.A police 4x4 was in the waste ground where I take the dog he drove a good distance to have a look who I was and I walked past he turned the jeep around and drove at walking pace for a few mins then buggerd off.I aint a trouble maker I had the kid with me and the dog was running about to me it should be very clear what I am doing.I never knew the police were dog wardens aswell.

If the OP thinks his kid is mature enough to have a few drinks and be resposible then he should let her have a few IMO(He will start a Going to be a grandad thread soon :lol:).

Miller Jambo 60

I live in the real world. I wasn't allowed to drink until I was 16 then I could have a can or two.

I'm all for kids being educated in sensible drinking I'm just giving my opinion, which is the point of a message board after all.

And I've just discovered the hilarious fact that you can legally drink at home if you are over five years old.

Agree wi you Taz, but all kids do it now bar the ones which have moral probs.

My oldest is 16 in october, if he takes a can of my Tennents in the house, not a prob.

Rather control it with him near methumbsup.gif

Wots that about over 5s at home laugh.giflaugh.gif your winding me up

I had that the other day with the cops.Went out with the dog and took the bairn I had a zippy jumper on that has a hood.A police 4x4 was in the waste ground where I take the dog he drove a good distance to have a look who I was and I walked past he turned the jeep around and drove at walking pace for a few mins then buggerd off.I aint a trouble maker I had the kid with me and the dog was running about to me it should be very clear what I am doing.I never knew the police were dog wardens aswell.

If the OP thinks his kid is mature enough to have a few drinks and be resposible then he should let her have a few IMO(He will start a Going to be a grandad thread soon :lol:).

I'm waiting for her to get up. Then we'll be having a good talk. No raised voices just a talk on what she's been up to.

She does seem sensible so I really don't think I'll be starting a thread on going to be a grandad. I'm far too young anyway at 36. :thumbsup:

Gorgiewave

I'm waiting for her to get up. Then we'll be having a good talk. No raised voices just a talk on what she's been up to.

She does seem sensible so I really don't think I'll be starting a thread on going to be a grandad. I'm far too young anyway at 36. thumbsup.gif

My cousin had an episode when she was about fifteen. Her sister found her lying behind the swimming pool drunk and filthy, as if she had been rolling around in the mud. She was taken home and my aunt battered lumps out of her. She was crying and miserable for days, mainly because she realised how many people loved her and cared about her. Good luck, I don't envy your job this morning.

Randle P McMurphy

She does seem sensible so I really don't think I'll be starting a thread on going to be a grandad. I'm far too young anyway at 36. :thumbsup:

I have always found the 'I am not angry just disappointed' technique works well. Shame her rather than chastise her. By all means draw on your own experiences however kids at that age think their parents are dinosaurs.

Doctor FinnBarr

Would you actually believe its 2(two)! Must be with a meal tho, altho I don't imagine many landlords would.

ninja.gif

Would you actually believe its 2(two)! Must be with a meal tho, altho I don't imagine many landlords would.

ninja.gif

Under fives may only be given alcohol for medical reasons. Probably so old fashioned teething medicines could be sold.

Every link and document I found quoted five years old.

Though apparently it's frowned on by social services :rolleyes:

Boaby Ewing

Likewise.

I got drunk a few times at that age, but I don't think I was drinking (with my parents prior knowledge) until about 16, apart from in restaurants.

She's been caught peeving, knicking cider and (if I'm following this right) being rude to one of her friend's parents. Why you'd want to act like some sad-sack 'Cool Dad' in this situation is beyond me.

Doctor FinnBarr

Under fives may only be given alcohol for medical reasons. Probably so old fashioned teething medicines could be sold.

Every link and document I found quoted five years old.

Though apparently it's frowned on by social services rolleyes.gif

It really is 2, one of these mad old law type things that has never been updated.

It was one of the questions in my licensing exam altho it has maybe been repealed in the last 8 years.

mellow.gif

Gorgiewave

Likewise.

I got drunk a few times at that age, but I don't think I was drinking (with my parents prior knowledge) until about 16, apart from in restaurants.

She's been caught peeving, knicking cider and (if I'm following this right) being rude to one of her friend's parents. Why you'd want to act like some sad-sack 'Cool Dad' in this situation is beyond me.

I'm just getting into the expression "biscuit-ersed", so I'll file this away as a synonym.

14 is too young to be drinking anything at all anywhere. Alot of my mates did, but I didn't.

When I was 15 my old man laid down the rules. Basically, if I tried to booze behind him and mums back I was dead. If I wandered the streets drinking or boozed in Victoria Park I was dead. If cheap cider or straight spirit was my drink of choice and he caught me before, during or after I was dead. If we sneaked into a mates free house to booze when no sensible adults were around I was dead.

However - dad told me to tell him when I was able to get served booze in a pub without illegal fake ID and he might not kill me.

About 4 months after my 16th birthday, I told him me and my mates were drinking in Smithies and/or Stags Head Cannonmills after work (we worked part time supermarket close by) on a Friday night, and had been for a few weeks. Despite his promise, I thought he might still kill me. He didn't.

The following Friday he came and stood with me and four of my mates at the bar. A legendary night out the four of us still reminisce about about almost 15 years later, every one of us was absolutely cattled by closing time. As far as dad was concerned, if bar staff were dozy enough to serve us, we were boozing in a safe environment. He satisfied himself we were drinking proper drinks, proper measures, properly and maturely, age 16-17.

From that night onwards, dad was comfortable that I could handle alcohol and my weekends didn't have to be a secret. And I'd quite often go for a few beers with the old man.

When I was 16-18 my dad used to pick me up a wee case to take to house parties. His reasoning being that it's better for him to buy me a few beers than me paying some other older person to buy me spirits.

I was always too young looking to get served in pubs (apart from the market bar in Inverness) so parties were the only place I could drink. He never seemed to mind.

Still don't like being being drunk in front of him though.

Likewise.

This is the most sensible post so far on this topic IMO.

I cant believe how laid back some of the parents are about a 14 year old girl drinking strong alcohol. Children of that age especially girls are just not able to tolerate the effects of alcohol on their bodies.The OP is doing his daughter no favours with his cool attitude. Indeed it could be said that such an attitude borders on child neglect.The sight of young people some not even out of primary school rolling about drunk on our streets and parks is now all to common and I am afraid some of the replies on this thread explain why this is.Its time parents took responsibility for their kids.I would say to the OP that his daughter and her pals will be seen by the rest of the general public as just another bunch of drunken yobs.

Beat the s**t out of the wee ****.

Just want to quote this to prove that I take underage drinking seriously. :thumbsup:

In seriousness, I'd be furious if any child of mine were out drinking at that age. Under 16s drinking outside is classic ned behaviour.

This is the most sensible post so far on this topic IMO.

I cant believe how laid back some of the parents are about a 14 year old girl drinking strong alcohol. Children of that age especially girls are just not able to tolerate the effects of alcohol on their bodies.The OP is doing his daughter no favours with his cool attitude. Indeed it could be said that such an attitude borders on child neglect.The sight of young people some not even out of primary school rolling about drunk on our streets and parks is now all to common and I am afraid some of the replies on this thread explain why this is.Its time parents took responsibility for their kids.I would say to the OP that his daughter and her pals will be seen by the rest of the general public as just another bunch of drunken yobs.

Are you for real.

If he was neglecting his kid he would not give a toss about her drinking.Being cool about it is the way to go.She won't lie about drinking and he can monitor what she and her pals get up too.When my daughter gets to that age I will probaly do the same or pack her off to a convent.

Tommy Wiseau

14 is too young to be drinking anything at all anywhere. Alot of my mates did, but I didn't.

When I was 15 my old man laid down the rules. Basically, if I tried to booze behind him and mums back I was dead. If I wandered the streets drinking or boozed in Victoria Park I was dead. If cheap cider or straight spirit was my drink of choice and he caught me before, during or after I was dead. If we sneaked into a mates free house to booze when no sensible adults were around I was dead.

However - dad told me to tell him when I was able to get served booze in a pub without illegal fake ID and he might not kill me.

About 4 months after my 16th birthday, I told him me and my mates were drinking in Smithies and/or Stags Head Cannonmills after work (we worked part time supermarket close by) on a Friday night, and had been for a few weeks. Despite his promise, I thought he might still kill me. He didn't.

The following Friday he came and stood with me and four of my mates at the bar. A legendary night out the four of us still reminisce about about almost 15 years later, every one of us was absolutely cattled by closing time. As far as dad was concerned, if bar staff were dozy enough to serve us, we were boozing in a safe environment. He satisfied himself we were drinking proper drinks, proper measures, properly and maturely, age 16-17.

From that night onwards, dad was comfortable that I could handle alcohol and my weekends didn't have to be a secret. And I'd quite often go for a few beers with the old man.

I think this is a great post, your old man sounds like he handled things very well. Completely agree with those saying that kids shouldn't be drinking anything at 14 - it's pretty disappointing the number of folk condoning it.

As a teacher, some of the chat I overhear from kids in class is seriously worrying and almost all stems from underage drinking. It feeds into all kinds of different anti-social behaviour, makes the kids think they're older than they are which in turn affects their attitude to school work etc - not to mention the obvious health issues it causes. I'm not going to sit here on a high horse and tell folk how they should bring up their kids, but I do think that allowing, or tolerating, underage drinking at those kind of ages sets a really dangerous precedent.

Miller Jambo 60

Just want to quote this to prove that I take underage drinking seriously. thumbsup.gif

In seriousness, I'd be furious if any child of mine were out drinking at that age. Under 16s drinking outside is classic ned behaviour.

Come to the real world mate, most teenagers dont give a hoot to their parents or anyone else.

What age are your kids.

Are you for real.

If he was neglecting his kid he would not give a toss about her drinking.Being cool about it is the way to go.She won't lie about drinking and he can monitor what she and her pals get up too.When my daughter gets to that age I will probaly do the same or pack her off to a convent.

Thats why the streets and parks are full of drunken teenagers. Parents just turning a blind eye for the sake of an easy life.

14 year olds should not be drinking at all and if buying drink for them isnt a crime then it should be.

Miller Jambo 60

I think this is a great post, your old man sounds like he handled things very well. Completely agree with those saying that kids shouldn't be drinking anything at 14 - it's pretty disappointing the number of folk condoning it.

As a teacher, some of the chat I overhear from kids in class is seriously worrying and almost all stems from underage drinking. It feeds into all kinds of different anti-social behaviour, makes the kids think they're older than they are which in turn affects their attitude to school work etc - not to mention the obvious health issues it causes. I'm not going to sit here on a high horse and tell folk how they should bring up their kids, but I do think that allowing, or tolerating, underage drinking at those kind of ages sets a really dangerous precedent.

Teacher eh, my youngest has had trouble at school with a kid with learning difficulties.

TBH, should not be there as he cant play with other kids without kicking off.

Told my son to distance himself from him, but the school cant seem to keep them apart.

I was no angel at school, but my mum and dad never got phone calls every 2nd day.

The police are never away from the school, PC gone mad again.

Maybe speak to her friend's parents, they're clearly able to get drink, so they're better doing it at one of your houses.

I remember when I was that age we used to drink outside, untill we got chased by chavs and my mate got the shite kicked out of him. After that we drank at his house as his mum was scared about him being outside and drunk at that age.

A Controlled environment is far better, even if you don't agree with what they're doing. You've got more control over what they're drinking and who they're with. Peace of mind more than anything else.

My Mum had that idea also that it was better for me to drink in my bedroom rather on the street corners, that way she knew what I was drinking & who I was with.

Basicly her idea was "if I can't get them to stop, I can make it safe as possible & control it to some degree"

RIP MUM miss ya big time sweat.gif

If your kids were taken home in an ambulance aged 14 from alcohol poisoning, how would you feel? if they bought it out of a supermarket what would your attitude be towards that shop?

hughesie27

Come to the real world mate, most teenagers dont give a hoot to their parents or anyone else.

What age are your kids.

True but most kids do not drink underage. Unlike popular belief.

Here is another fact for you. The younger you begin to drink the more likely you will take up other habits at a young age such as smoking and drugs.

Since both underage drinking and smoking is illegal would the same folk taking a relaxed approach to alcohol feel the same about fags.

What age are your kids.

Your children are your responsibility mate its up to the parents to make them give a hoot or at least try to exert some influence over them.The trouble most parents these days just give up and make lame excuses.

My Mum had that idea also that it was better for me to drink in my bedroom rather on the street corners, that way she knew what I was drinking & who I was with.

Basicly her idea was "if I can't get them to stop, I can make it safe as possible & control it to some degree"

RIP MUM miss ya big time sweat.gif

my mum was exactly the same. i was allowed a shandy or a snowball on certain occasions as well.

she did go mad at me though one night when i got home aged 15 after getting blootered on martini in the park at morningside

from around 16 i was allowed to go to clubs as long as it was just 2 or 3 drinks i was having and she'd come and pick me and my mates up afterwards

i think personally, that if you're taught how to be sensible with alcohol then age isn't that big a deal although i'd not suggest for 1 minute anything under 14 years old is a good idea.

kids are gonna want to drink and if you take away the mystery of it, and teach them well then they'll be ok

Miller Jambo 60

Your children are your responsibility mate its up to the parents to make them give a hoot or at least try to exert some influence over them.The trouble most parents these days just give up and make lame excuses.

Right im away to play fitba wi himlaugh.gif

Thats why the streets and parks are full of drunken teenagers. Parents just turning a blind eye for the sake of an easy life.

14 year olds should not be drinking at all and if buying drink for them isnt a crime then it should be.

He is not turning a blind eye he is watching what she is doing.It is controlled.You tell her no she is just going to say **** you dad.

hughesie27

He is not turning a blind eye he is watching what she is doing.It is controlled.You tell her no she is just going to say **** you dad.

Explain in what sense he is keeping an eye?

Were you drinking last night?

Yes.

Okay, just be careful

Okay.

True but most kids do not drink underage. Unlike popular belief.

Here is another fact for you. The younger you begin to drink the more likely you will take up other habits at a young age such as smoking and drugs.

Since both underage drinking and smoking is illegal would the same folk taking a relaxed approach to alcohol feel the same about fags.

Excellent point.

Speaking from experience I can confirm the reaction is very different.

hughesie27

Excellent point.

Speaking from experience I can confirm the reaction is very different.

Exactly. I for one would kill if my son came home with a gay :down:

:lol:

Exactly. I for one would kill if my son came home with a gay :down:

Homophobic post IMO.

Archived