Scotland v England Rugby

maroonlegions

Rugby is the number one sport in the Borders, and I've yet to see a public school boy playing the game there, the guys who play are mostly tradesmen or farmers and as rough as you like.

Mmmm. Like Doddie Weir, family farmers and educated at Stewarts Melville. Then went on to play for Melrose (the toffs of the Borders) :1132:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The White Cockade

I played rugby at Gracemount Secondary

we played Craigroyston, Firhill, St Auggies and all those other public schools

and our parents drove us home in the Rolls

right back to our council multi storey flat......

At least Barnsley got put to the sword. Oops.:loser:

also hope you stayed well away from the bookies

Mmmm. Like Doddie Weir, family farmers and educated at Stewarts Melville. Then went on to play for Melrose (the toffs of the Borders) :1132:

Nothing worse than an ex SM pupil:rolleyes:

The game ended with the player being dragged into touch, the ball was not kicked out.

One of the scotland boys kicked in into the crowd as soon as the england guy dropped it

The Old Tolbooth

Never a truer word said, that snobby mob think they are something special. No one likes them and everyone loves to beat them.

Pete Seeger
Be amusing watching Scotland getting horsed. They deserve the wooden spoon. :)

GIRFUY :)

Doddie Weir is an oddity in that way. Most of the borders players are from state schools. Not that it matters a toss, they play for Scotland, Scotland includes public schools so they have every right to represent us.

Never a truer word said, that snobby mob think they are something special. No one likes them and everyone loves to beat them.

Also Roger Baird and John Jeffrey who played for Kelso were both educated at Merchsiston Castle. Quite a few farmers from the Borders educated at public schools in Edinburgh. :)

Doddie Weir is an oddity in that way. Most of the borders players are from state schools. Not that it matters a toss, they play for Scotland, Scotland includes public schools so they have every right to represent us.

What about Roger Baird and John Jeffrey then Tazio, that an oddity also. :rolleyes:

I said oddity, not unique.

Think you will find there are plenty other examples. You never meet a poor farmer after all. ;)

Think you will find there are plenty other examples. You never meet a poor farmer after all. ;)

Ah I get you, the strange situation where every rugby player in the borders is a farmer. I remember now.

Thank god there weren't any lorry drivers like Gary Armstrong or roofers like Brian Redpath down there.

Is constantly trolling the board tiring at all?:welldone:

Ah I get you, the strange situation where every rugby player in the borders is a farmer. I remember now.

Thank god there weren't any lorry drivers like Gary Armstrong or roofers like Brian Redpath down there.

Is constantly trolling the board tiring at all?:welldone:

Just like putting the record straight Tazio. :)

The Old Tolbooth
Also Roger Baird and John Jeffrey who played for Kelso were both educated at Merchsiston Castle. Quite a few farmers from the Borders educated at public schools in Edinburgh. :)

Trust me, the amount of farmers who make up the rugby community down in the Borders is a very small percentage.

If I was to make a similar statement I would state that everyone on here with a Chelsea avatar are Rangers apologists and bigots, but I know thats not true so would never claim such a thing ;)

davemclaren

If I was to make a similar statement I would state that everyone on here with a Chelsea avatar are Rangers apologists and bigots, but I know thats not true so would never claim such a thing ;)

Nope, they are just oddities. :P

Archived