What happened to Edinburgh then?

JamboInSouthsea

JamboInSouthsea

Have been having a shufty at the BBC website and have come across this anomaly...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8199815.stm

suggests Edinburgh is best city in UK for quality of life..

whereas..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8704630.stm

not even a mention.

Although the results had a different study group or poll has Edinburgh degenerated that much since I was last up there about a year ago.

Agree though that London is a dump ;)

Buffalo Bill

Edinburgh is a fantastic city but its main thoroughfare is a complete dump on one side with tacky, rundown bargain-bin-style shops and its great architecture ruined by abysmal 60s blocks.

George Street is much better but the traffic is horrendous and I have no idea why anyone would ever want to sit and dine on the pavement.

Queen Street is little more than a race track, and is missing only pit-stops and a chequered flag.

The New Town, on a warm day is absolutely beautiful as is the Old Town, minus those awful tartan-tat shops on the 'Mile.

The rest is a mixture of leafy suburbs, dour tenement streets, run-down housing schemes and pretty parks.

But what other UK city has a giant castle in the middle? Or a lion shaped volcanoe? Or a dramatic Old and New Town?

I'm about to ship out of the city for the first time in my life but I know I'll miss it.

Chaka Demus & pliers

Think they're having a few technical issues as can't read them, will try later, or what does it say?

Why aren't Manchester, Edinburgh and Cardiff ranked in the latest survey?

CORRECT! It's because these cities are less popular with companies for relocation bases. The cities on the list are analysed according to 39 factors, such as crime rate, availability of international schools, air pollution and availability of food.

Danny Wilde

More recently, this. Ranked as being one of the worlds top-25 destination cities.

Edinburgh joins ranks of world?s great cities

4 May 2010

Its castle is already the most popular paid-for tourist attraction in Scotland, with almost 1.2 million people walking up the Royal Mile every year to visit the historic site.

Now Edinburgh has emerged as one of the top 25 destinations across the world ? more popular with international visitors than the likes of Cape Town, Bruges and Copenhagen.

The city, which was rated 21st in the world and 17th in Europe, was the only destination in the UK to feature in the lists compiled by TripAdvisor.

Archived