Katla Volcano Showing Signs of 200% Increase In Activity

Guest GhostHunter

Anyone else watching that stream thing?

Is it just me or has it just got really really ashy? :blink:

ashes to ashes.. dust to dust.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Icelandic President has just spoke about Katla on Newsnight. Basically that based on how the geology of the area has behaved in the past it is due an erruption in the not so distant future.

I find this all fascinating.

rossaldinho

The Icelandic President has just spoke about Katla on Newsnight. Basically that based on how the geology of the area has behaved in the past it is due an erruption in the not so distant future.

I really hope when he said "not so distant future" he means after october.

Can't have a volcano ruining my hoiday D:<

Can I ask what exactly what you find fascinating Blair?

Can I ask what exactly what you find fascinating Blair?

Nature Kits. We can build incredible planes, super accurate GPS, perfect radar, whatever, but all the technology in the world is nothing compared with the power of nature. When I went backpacking years ago I climbed to within 800ft of the top of Mount Etna. It was an awesome experience, probably the most amazing place I've ever been. Hard to believe it was the same world we live in, it was like being on another plantet. And Mt Etna is a tiddler.

People can debate, complain and plan all they like, mother nature is very much in charge here. We're just all along for the ride.

Just like Kick-Ass, we were talking about all the natural disasters that have happened in the last couple of years and concluded that the world is forked.

Nature Kits. We can build incredible planes, super accurate GPS, perfect radar, whatever, but all the technology in the world is nothing compared with the power of nature. When I went backpacking years ago I climbed to within 800ft of the top of Mount Etna. It was an awesome experience, probably the most amazing place I've ever been. Hard to believe it was the same world we live in, it was like being on another plantet. And Mt Etna is a tiddler.

People can debate, complain and plan all they like, mother nature is very much in charge here. We're just all along for the ride.

Read above. That's really how I feel as well. They are fascinating and it's just a shame it takes eruptions lava and travel chaos for people to even read about what they are..how very dare they erupt? Well they were here along time before we were.

The Old Tolbooth

There's a red dot now :huh:

I noticed that too :unsure:

The whole thing actually excites me, I'm very much like Blair in the respect as I'm fascinated by the sheer power of mother nature.

If there are any geologists in the house, can someone confirm if the volcano at Yellowstone Park in America is larger or smaller than the Icelandic volcanoes, or is Yellowstone still the overdue daddy?

StrikersInstinct

The whole thing actually excites me, I'm very much like Blair in the respect as I'm fascinated by the sheer power of mother nature.

If there are any geologists in the house, can someone confirm if the volcano at Yellowstone Park in America is larger or smaller than the Icelandic volcanoes, or is Yellowstone still the overdue daddy?

The Yellowstone is a Super volcano, very few exist on earth. Its has been said that when Yellowstone erupts, millions of lives will be lost, sunlight will disapear and half of USA will become inhabitable. Its on a far different scale than volcanos like Pinutabu, Katla, Etna and so on.

Dave Spacey

I'm the same, volcano's fascinate me the most though. I just love watching lava flow and the whole process of it, how it changes landscapes etc. Hurricane's fascinate me too, don't like earthquakes though.

Hearts of Vladland

The Yellowstone is a Super volcano, very few exist on earth. Its has been said that when Yellowstone erupts, millions of lives will be lost, sunlight will disapear and half of USA will become inhabitable. Its on a far different scale than volcanos like Pinutabu, Katla, Etna and so on.

Minus the daylight part it sounds good.

Only joking.

The Old Tolbooth

Thanks for that mate, I'm now officially scared stiff of Yellowstone as its overdue a turn *gulp* :sweat:

Hearts of Vladland

Thanks for that mate, I'm now officially scared stiff of Yellowstone as its overdue a turn *gulp* :sweat:

Five known supervolcanoes: the Yellowstone, Long Valley, and Valles Caldera in the United States; Lake Toba, North Sumatra, Indonesia; Taupo Volcano, North Island, New Zealand; and Aira Caldera, Kagoshima Prefecture, Ky?sh?, Japan.

The Old Tolbooth

What gets me is, why would people build homes right next to these overgrown fireworks when they know damn fine that one day the will lose everything? :blink:

Dave Spacey

What gets me is, why would people build homes right next to these overgrown fireworks when they know damn fine that one day the will lose everything? :blink:

Probably quite fertile land, small farms get bigger and turn into towns etc then "POW right in the kisser"

Mark_Mywords

Only idiots would, eh ;):teehee::teehee:;)

edinburgh.jpg

Danny Wilde

Could say the same thing about San Francisco. That'll go t1ts-up again big-time one day, quite possibly/probably in our lifetimes.

1.jpg

Dave Spacey

Could say the same thing about San Francisco. That'll go t1ts-up again big-time one day, quite possibly/probably in our lifetimes.

1.jpg

San Fran's on a volcano?

Danny Wilde

San Fran's on a volcano?

San Andreas fault. Next biggy could happen today, tomorrow, next year, 2060 ... anytime...

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I love how everyone has turned into a volcano expert over the past week. :o

\

Just watched the news at 5.00pm here, apparently the volcano has let it rip again and the smoke I hate to tell you is heading for, the U.K.

One flew over

Any other kickbackers got stuck by this, no sympathy expected but I am stuck in LA , was due back on Sunday but will be here until at least an other week ash permitting. This thread has done nothing to give me increased hope of getting home. Having experienced an earth quake in southern California on Easter Sunday, I can tell you that the forces of nature can scare your pants off! Anyway anyone know where I can see the match in LA this weekend?

Dean Winchester

My bets on Yellowstone to feck us all up with Katla causing us some considerable trouble beforehand :whistling:

Although I do believe Yellowstone's "bulge" has been slowing in it's growth.

Yellowstone's bulge is only slowing down in rate of increase because the magma chamber is almost full and that huge bugger is about to blow it's top.

Dean Winchester

Yellowstone's bulge is only slowing down in rate of increase because the magma chamber is almost full and that huge bugger is about to blow it's top.

I was trying to stop them from worrying.

But you're right. We're messed. Might as well end it now.

I was trying to stop them from worrying.

But you're right. We're messed. Might as well end it now.

EarthSuperVolcano2.jpg

Glasgow Airport is closing down again at lunchtime 'indefinitely'....this is going to drag on for a looong time.

Only ever goes about once every 640,000 years. You should be OK for your three score and ten but I suppose you never know....

Only ever goes about once every 640,000 years. You should be OK for your three score and ten but I suppose you never know....

It blows roughly every 600,000 years, and the last time was 640,000 years ago. An eruption is imminent, maybe even before lunchtime today.

It blows roughly every 600,000 years, and the last time was 640,000 years ago. An eruption is imminent, maybe even before lunchtime today.

Well it's your lucky day 'cos seeing I'm here in CA, I should just have time to type out a quick heads up to you before being entombed in hot ash.

The Treasurer

Any other kickbackers got stuck by this, no sympathy expected but I am stuck in LA , was due back on Sunday but will be here until at least an other week ash permitting. This thread has done nothing to give me increased hope of getting home. Having experienced an earth quake in southern California on Easter Sunday, I can tell you that the forces of nature can scare your pants off! Anyway anyone know where I can see the match in LA this weekend?

Doubt if you'll get much either smile.gif

Seriously though it can't be great being stuck overseas but I can think of worse places to be "stranded"

Perhaps Disneyland might be showing the SPL games as people are always saying it's a Mickey Mouse league.biggrin.gif

Ok I'll get my coat

rossthejambo

This thread has given me great cause for optimism whistling.gif

If Katla's going to erupt it better wait til after May/June as I quite fancy going on holiday before the Earth gets destroyed.

As for Yellowstone, well that's just terrifying. If that was to blow then we'd all be well and truly fecked.

Who's pissed the Earth off? Come on own up dry.gif

Who's pissed the Earth off? Come on own up dry.gif

It's all Vlad's doing. Part of his big plan.

StrikersInstinct

Icelandic scientists are not happy with the interview by the Icelandic president on BBC last night. They STRESS that Katla is showing no signs of waking up. It could be a while yet. They say there is absolutely no reason to panic. This comes from Icelandic scientists that monitor the mountain persinally so be sure to take their words rather than CNN or Sky expert or the Icelandic president for that matter.

They also say the Laki volcano is sleeping soundly ? its bigger than Katla and is the reason for one of the most horrible natural catastrophy in human history when it erupted for 8 months in the 17th century.

The Laki eruption:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfuP_LYXY7E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heIqzf3I3DU&feature=related

When a volcano erupted in ones backyard litarely, on an Icelandic island 1973:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WqK2Ah3He8

Ever considered that the scriptures were written at a time when there was an eruption hence the similarities...?

Oh, nope. Word of God. I apologise. :rolleyes:

One thing is for sure if Katla pops then you can kiss goodbye to your summer hols.... and probably your favourite airlines aswell.

Archived