West Brom Happy to pay 2.5 million for Bednar!

Fife jambo

Commander Harris

I think the most interesting point from that interview is that when West Brom arranged the deal they did so with Mowbray unsure that he was worth that kind of money.

"When we did the deal we knew he would have to be pretty good to pay ?2.5 million."

got to say that, from a financial point of view, it was pretty good business from Hearts - a permanent option on a loan deal seems to be the done thing these days so for Hearts to get West Brom to agree to such a high fee(at the time!) is pretty good work.

Obviously in the open market he would now be worth more after his performances for West Brom but without the loan his value would have stayed low anyway - almost certainly less than the ?2.5m.

loveofthegame

Of course they're happy to pay ?2.5M for a player whose market value is now probably double that.... duh! :)

Commander Harris
Of course they're happy to pay ?2.5M for a player whose market value is now probably double that.... duh! :)

indeed, a very good deal for the baggies. But still a decent bit of business from Hearts, all things considered.

loveofthegame
indeed, a very good deal for the baggies. But still a decent bit of business from Hearts, all things considered.

Very true. I deal you'd certainly have taken very happily when it was agreed. I doubt it'll make a massive difference anyway but at least unlike Velicka, Bednar is actually a registered Hearts player and not Kaunas

Commander Harris
Very true. I deal you'd certainly have taken very happily when it was agreed. I doubt it'll make a massive difference anyway but at least unlike Velicka, Bednar is actually a registered Hearts player and not Kaunas

I understand what your saying, but ?2.5m will make a difference - even if it is not directly reinvested in the team, it is much needed revenue.

colinmaroon

And it also supports the view that Vlad does have his head screwed on when it comes to setting up the value of players.

?2.5 when he was underachieving (albeit for legitimate reasons, injury et al) is shrewd business!

Even now it's a good price to get for him!!!

My one little niggling thought is that I wouldn't put it past Vlad to try and get more for him.

A loan deal with an agreement for the receiving team for first option at an agreed price, I don't think is necessarily a contractual obligation to go through with the sale. Bednar could be called back to Hearts!!! (Even though he doesn't want to come back!)

And then - - who knows???

I understand what your saying, but ?2.5m will make a difference - even if it is not directly reinvested in the team, it is much needed revenue.

Much needed revenue for what. ?

Jimmy McNulty

I think this is decent business by Hearts.

Sure, he's scoring for fun, but the didn't want to be in Edinburgh so no use crying over what might have been....

Tianjin Jambo

Bednar has probably scored more goals for West Brom in his 16 odd appearances for them than Super Wayne scored for Hearts in all his years here!

This is not of any relevance - just a random observation!

;)

I think the most interesting point from that interview is that when West Brom arranged the deal they did so with Mowbray unsure that he was worth that kind of money.

"When we did the deal we knew he would have to be pretty good to pay ?2.5 million."

got to say that, from a financial point of view, it was pretty good business from Hearts - a permanent option on a loan deal seems to be the done thing these days so for Hearts to get West Brom to agree to such a high fee(at the time!) is pretty good work.

Obviously in the open market he would now be worth more after his performances for West Brom but without the loan his value would have stayed low anyway - almost certainly less than the ?2.5m.

I completely disagree regarding these deals. If it was a straight forward loan deal we would have had them by the balls if they wanted to keep him. If he went there and didn't do well then they would not want to buy him anyway. I know ?2.5m is a lot of money but his value has risen and we have lost out. These deals only ever work for the buying club IMO.

I's rather have Bednar than the money - I want to see a league title at Tynecastle.

I think that Vladimir's poisonous attitude towards Bednar and his desire to see Bednar forced out is a big factor in our useless league position this year.

Mowbray has done Vlad l'like a kipper' or whatever the saying is.

Bednar has probably scored more goals for West Brom in his 16 odd appearances for them than Super Wayne scored for Hearts in all his years here!

This is not of any relevance - just a random observation!

;)

i'll mention your comments to him when I next see him in the pub :)

i'll mention your comments to him when I next see him in the pub :)

Tell him that it is quality not quantity and, for me anyway, he scored one goal that is/was priceless!:)

I think that Vladimir's poisonous attitude towards Bednar and his desire to see Bednar forced out is a big factor in our useless league position this year.

Sometimes, you just have to laugh !:)

Poisonus attitude ? you must ba having a laugh ! What did vlad do to him ? Was he force feeding him pies ? The man was a complete joke towards the end of last season ! He only has himself to blame ! Lets see how he gets on when things are not going Wb way !

Commander Harris
I completely disagree regarding these deals. If it was a straight forward loan deal we would have had them by the balls if they wanted to keep him. If he went there and didn't do well then they would not want to buy him anyway. I know ?2.5m is a lot of money but his value has risen and we have lost out. These deals only ever work for the buying club IMO.

My thoughts on it were taking into account that these options to buy are now common place and without it there may have been no loan deal at all.

in an ideal world there would not have been such an option and we would be able to get market value for him but this is the way loan deals are done these days, it's not just Hearts that want to make sure they wont get ripped off after a loan has ended.

It may have been the only way we could get a loan deal for him, that such a clause was included.

Hilary Briss
The minute the ink dries on Bednars permanent contract, so will the goals.

Dunno mate, he aint got a crack pot owner wanting to punch lumps out of him down there ;)

Personally, I think between the injuries he had and the way the club has been run he spat the dummy out at Hearts. If he stays fit I am sure he could do well in the Premiership.......he has all the right qualities.

Cardiac Rucksack
NT I reckon they won't.

If he is in the premiership with them they will. No way he will score a barrell load in that league, in that team.

NT I reckon they won't.

Agree Julio, quality player playing well under a quality manager (just like the start of 05/06)

Nelly Terraces
NT I reckon they won't.

Aye, but like me, you'll laugh yer nik-naks off if they do, 'spesh if they stay in Div 1. Would screw hobo primate Monkeyheid right up!:P

Aye, but like me, you'll laugh yer nik-naks off if they do, 'spesh if they stay in Div 1. Would screw hobo primate Monkeyheid right up!:P

Heres hoping monkey chops stays down for another season. Baggie baggie staying down bing bong.

Instead of blaming Vlad maybe we should blame Bednar himself.Drink,Smoking and Overeating not a good combination for any footballer.At the end of last season his condition was a joke.Not Vlads fault.His own.If Vlad has been done up like a kipper it will be a first selling wise.Rudi,Hartley,Pressley,Brellier Vlad seems to sell them(or get rid) after Hearts have had the best out of them.

Gigolo-Aunt

I wonder what would happen if....

WBA sign Bednar

Mowbray gets a gig in the Premiership.

Bednar does not like the new WBA manager

WBA sign Bednar

Who was the Hearts manager he did not like - Vlad?

My thoughts on it were taking into account that these options to buy are now common place and without it there may have been no loan deal at all.

in an ideal world there would not have been such an option and we would be able to get market value for him but this is the way loan deals are done these days, it's not just Hearts that want to make sure they wont get ripped off after a loan has ended.

It may have been the only way we could get a loan deal for him, that such a clause was included.

We were never going to get ripped off Bednar was a long contract. When the loan deal ended he would be our player again. That decision has now been taken out of our hands. Nothing stopping WBA doing what we done we with Skacel, buy him then punt him on straight away for a nice profit. As i said IMO these deals only favour the buying club i would have thought we would have learned that after the Skacel deal.

WBA sign Bednar

Bednar has only worked under 2 "managers" in the UK and both of them got the best out of him. There is no history to suggest he is going to fall out with any managers.

We were never going to get ripped off Bednar was a long contract. When the loan deal ended he would be our player again. That decision has now been taken out of our hands. Nothing stopping WBA doing what we done we with Skacel, buy him then punt him on straight away for a nice profit. As i said IMO these deals only favour the buying club i would have thought we would have learned that after the Skacel deal.

How do you know that WBA did not demand a fee to be agreed ? again at the time the boy looked **** so it was value for money to get the tool off the wage bill. ! why are certain people up in arms about this ? it worked in our favour when we got rudi on the cheap ! Again, lets see what happens to the tool in 1-2 years time before his full value is realised !

How do you know that WBA did not demand a fee to be agreed ? again at the time the boy looked **** so it was value for money to get the tool off the wage bill. ! why are certain people up in arms about this ? it worked in our favour when we got rudi on the cheap ! Again, lets see what happens to the tool in 1-2 years time before his full value is realised !

Who is up in arms ? Think you are getting a bit carried away. All i am saying is these deals are favour the buying club, you seem to agree. :confused:

Just like you i have no idea what WBA demanded so i would rather not guess or make things up. However VR had the experience of the Skacel deal under his belt he could have used that experience IMO.

Maroon Mayhem

The way Bednar was training and playing prior to the loan I'd say 2.5m is a fantastic piece of business for us and it seems they're happy with what they're getting. If there is one thing Romanov knows how to do, it's structure a transfer deal.

If the Pieman was still in charge, he's have creamed his crusty y-fronts at the first 1.25m that came in from the OF for Craig Gordon.

Archived