what got you into The Hearts?

neverlikedElvis

Grew up in the North and despite not having any Edinburgh connections decided at the age of 5 I was a Hearts supporter after watching them on tv. Took a lot of **** at school for being a Jambo too (and quite a few kickings!)

Idolised Gary Mackay and Craig Levein as a kid too.

Now Im older and have a daughter, she is a Jambo too and at 20 months can sing a bit of the Hearts song!

winston churchill

like most of the posts on the thread it was through the family line.

father,grandfather ect.

my old man was born in boness but moved to mcleod street in the 50's.

he used to tell us stories about waiting until the ground had emptied on match days and collecting the screwtaps(beer bottles)as him and his mate could get back a penny for each bottle.

the groundsman at the time was an old bas*a*d and would chase them as he was after the bottles for himself.

like most of the posts on the thread it was through the family line.

father,grandfather ect.

my old man was born in boness but moved to mcleod street in the 50's.

he used to tell us stories about waiting until the ground had emptied on match days and collecting the screwtaps(beer bottles)as him and his mate could get back a penny for each bottle.

the groundsman at the time was an old bas*a*d and would chase them as he was after the bottles for himself.

That would be Mattie Chalmers - a superb groundsman (but yes a bit of a grump) who lived for the pitch at Tynie. Woe betide anyone who had the temerity to step on the playing surface apart from when at match was being played.

Told this before on here but what the hell...

My Dad was a Weegie and a big Rangers fan. He took me to Ibrox a few times as a 5/6 year old. We lived in Stenhouse and when Rangers came to Tynie Dad would go along to watch One afternoon he took me with him...be about '81/82...we sat in the upper tier of the Old Stand, I mind there being a few other Gers fans in that bit too. My memory of it is hazy now but Hearts either won 2-1 or were beat 2-1. I do know I cheered when Hearts scored! For some wierd reason I think this was a LC semi game but that can't be right can it? Must check that!

Anyhow a week or so later I'm at Ibrox and Rangers score. I don't move and my Uncle asks what's up. My reply? "I don't like Rangers anymore. I like the one's in maroon now" My Dad tells them about me cheering Hearts the week before. Bless him he took me back to Ibrox twice more in a vain hope of keeping me in the Rangers way but he knew I was a lost cause.

Give my Old Dad his due he was happy enough for me to follow my local team. He took me to games with my Uncles on Mum's side who were big Jambos when he wasn't at Ibrox and spent money buying scarves, hats and the like. I can mind him putting me over the turnstiles and telling the guy I must've been with the guy in front cause I wasn't with him! I think Dad had a soft spot for the JT's. 35 years in West Edinburgh can do that! Despite being a Rangers man through and through he was delighted when we won the cup in '98 because so many of his family and friends were happy. He bought a Hearts t-shirt on the Sunday and walked down with all of us to see them bring the cup home...Dad was 51 then and for all the trophies his team had won he'd never had a day like we had in '98 as a Rangers fan because it just doesn't happen for them.

I'll always be thankful to my Dad for letting me have my choice and supporting it. Without his wages I'd have seen a lot less of Hearts as a bairn and teenager than I did! In the later years we'd go to games at both Tynie and Ibrox with him going his way and me going mine for 90 minutes.

Sadly Dad died in 2004. I miss him deeply and I miss the banter about our teams. He's missed some cracking games but I like to think he's watching from up there.

So thanks Dad and thanks to my Uncle's Andrew & James Stenhouse for taking me as a bairn when Dad couldn't!

it was my dad.. life long jambo , he's been going to tynie for 60 yrs.

when i first started school, there was a few hibs fans in my class... i didn't have a team at the time, when i told my dad this he took me to my first football match..

that was 1984 scottish cup tie against inverness.. been going along ever since..

christ can't belive i've been going for 26 yrs, it's flown past

Told this before on here but what the hell...

My Dad was a Weegie and a big Rangers fan. He took me to Ibrox a few times as a 5/6 year old. We lived in Stenhouse and when Rangers came to Tynie Dad would go along to watch One afternoon he took me with him...be about '81/82...we sat in the upper tier of the Old Stand, I mind there being a few other Gers fans in that bit too. My memory of it is hazy now but Hearts either won 2-1 or were beat 2-1. I do know I cheered when Hearts scored! For some wierd reason I think this was a LC semi game but that can't be right can it? Must check that!

Anyhow a week or so later I'm at Ibrox and Rangers score. I don't move and my Uncle asks what's up. My reply? "I don't like Rangers anymore. I like the one's in maroon now" My Dad tells them about me cheering Hearts the week before. Bless him he took me back to Ibrox twice more in a vain hope of keeping me in the Rangers way but he knew I was a lost cause.

Give my Old Dad his due he was happy enough for me to follow my local team. He took me to games with my Uncles on Mum's side who were big Jambos when he wasn't at Ibrox and spent money buying scarves, hats and the like. I can mind him putting me over the turnstiles and telling the guy I must've been with the guy in front cause I wasn't with him! I think Dad had a soft spot for the JT's. 35 years in West Edinburgh can do that! Despite being a Rangers man through and through he was delighted when we won the cup in '98 because so many of his family and friends were happy. He bought a Hearts t-shirt on the Sunday and walked down with all of us to see them bring the cup home...Dad was 51 then and for all the trophies his team had won he'd never had a day like we had in '98 as a Rangers fan because it just doesn't happen for them.

I'll always be thankful to my Dad for letting me have my choice and supporting it. Without his wages I'd have seen a lot less of Hearts as a bairn and teenager than I did! In the later years we'd go to games at both Tynie and Ibrox with him going his way and me going mine for 90 minutes.

Sadly Dad died in 2004. I miss him deeply and I miss the banter about our teams. He's missed some cracking games but I like to think he's watching from up there.

So thanks Dad and thanks to my Uncle's Andrew & James Stenhouse for taking me as a bairn when Dad couldn't!

What a lovely story.

This is a brilliant thread and if Im being honest nearly close to tears at some of them!

I moved from Edinburgh when i was 4 or 5 and my dad and brother were both jambos. Even though i have lived in england nearly all my life and have an english accent i will always be a jambo!!! Cheers dad! :biggrin:

The Old Tolbooth
This thread's making me greet!

My dad who died 18 months ago at the age of 61 made sure his two laddies will be Hearts daft forever.

I'll make sure your 3 week old grandson is too dad.

I got goosebumps reading that mate, just fantastic!!

My old man was born on Gorgie Rd, he has maroon in his blood. There was only one team his son was going to support.

I'm 19 and ever since I was 7, we've been making the trip up from Glasgow for every home game.

Also, my really annoying uncle is a hobo.

my Dad and Papa took me to my first Jambos game when i was 3, never looked back since and wouldny change it for the world Cheers Dad!

My father took me to my first game in 1965. I was two years and eight months old. Naturally I didnt fully understand what was going on.

The day I knew I was Hearts through and through no matter what was after that New Years Day game in 1973. I was still nine at the time(not ten until the April that year). It could have been easy for a nine year old laddie to swop teams that day but not me. I was always taught far easier to support a team that is winning than a team that is getting beat. Although 1/1/73 was a sore one. For me getting relegated for the first time ever in 1977 hurt more.

I personally believe a lot of Hearts supporters who use Kickback are very fortunate. Very fortunate in that they have never seen Hibs dominate Hearts as I did in the late 60s and 70s(there only time in my lifetime to date) and apart from the 6-2 gubbing at ER have never really seen Hibs give us a real going over. Where as they have lost count of the goings over Hearts have given them. Best of all they have never witnessed a relegation. Hopefully they never will as that hurts to me more than anything.

John

My best mate got me into being a Hearts fan.

Half my family are weegies so there all smelltic daft, including one of my older brothers.. They used to try and get me to support that lot, but it never happened :)

I remember my 1st game in the 90's. It was at tyne against St Johnston, cant remember if it was a cup game or not but we got beat, and Stephen Frail (I think) got sent of for Handball. The score possibly could have been 2-4 St Johnston, not 100% sure on it though.

alwaysthereinspirit
It's in my blood, being a Walker. My dad's side of the family are all Hearts fans, and one is probably one of the most famous in Hearts history. My dad first took me in the late 60's. Used to lift me over the turnstiles at the Gorgie end. Bought me my first scarf and tammy in that shop that used to be in Gorgie Road. Unfortunately, dad passed away aged 47 in 1975. I had nobody to take me to the matches. My dad's brother came out to our house a few months after my dad died and asked my big brother if he wanted to go to see The Hearts tonight(it was a league cup tie against Dumbarton). My brother wasn't very interested. He was more inclined to support the Dons(my mother was from up there),but has since turned out to be a blue nose. There was only ever one team for me. Quick as I flash I said,

" I'd love to go uncle Andrew!".

"Right, get yer scarf and tammy on, Lynn".

We won 6-2...a certain player(gee, I wonder who!) pitched in with a couple of goals.

Once I was old enough, I plucked up the courage to go on the Bathgate supporters bus. The rest is history.

Supporting Hearts is part of life. It's been a rollercoaster ride for over 40 years. I wouldn't swap a minute of it. My dad saw Hearts lift many a trophy in the golden era. And I'm sure he was having a party with my uncle up there in '98 and '06!

Love The Hearts to bits!

Lynn:flag2::ninja:

I was at this game too. Remember the score but remember the ugly Dumbarton striped shirts even more.

Son Of Anarchy

I was brought up through the west in east kilbride but my dad was from the capital.Started supporting the mighty jambos at age 9 because everyone around me followed the rankers! My secondary school had around 2998 gers fans,a partick fan and ME,lol. Jumped on a train from glasgow to edinburgh alone when I was 10 back in 1976.Got off at haymarket and asked someone the way to "where the Hearts play".I will never forget walking up Dalry rd surrounded by maroon n white for the first time.Still gives me a buzz to this day.Also remember the kicking I got from my dad as I had to phone him after the game as I spent my pocket money on a pie and had forgoten to get a return ticket as I was so excited.Stood in the shed that day,as I did every game after and wish we still had it today.

My Dad. My first game was at Tynie against Dundee 2-2 was the score as i recall & i'm sure Cammie Frazer scored the equalizer but what i remember most was the atmosphere standing under the shed at the corner been hooked ever since even though i live in England now i'm still and always will be a lifelong Jambo it's in the blood.

My dad had absolutely no interest in football and as we had moved from Alloa to Danderhall I had no other family that could / would take me to a game.

Unfortunately one of my neighbours took me to a few hobo games when I was about 7, started going to home games when I was about 9 or 10 but never told my dad!!

First away game was a league game through in Alloa about 1977?? think we won 1 - 0. My grandad who lived accross the road from the Recs came to the game with me and I cringed cos he was shouting on Alloa while standing in amongst the Jambos.

So, pretty much been following the famous through the yoyo years right through to now with the ultimate day being the 98 cup final that brought me to tears. My wee boy who was 8 at the time said "why you greeting, you should be happy"

Great day... getting teary eyed just thinking about it. :teeth::flag2:

The Jambo Janny

The small town I grew up in was 99% Rangers supporters so just to be different I decided to support another team. Celtic was out of the question, due to the fact that it would involve a few kickings and dad was a staunch proddy, so I chose the Jambos that was 55 years ago and I have never stopped supporting the team. Don't get to as many games as I would like to a I now live up North

J.T.F.Robertson

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure.

My mum's side were pretty much all Hearts, with dad's mostly Hibs. I can only guess, but at the time, Hearts were at their zenith, couple that with the possibility the Hearts' side made more of an effort to secure the "services" of my twin brother and I and possibly Boab's yir uncle.

Didn't work that way for my sister though, she's a ST holder at the wee team's place. :wacko:

My Dad told me Hearts were the only team worth supporting! Sadly he died at the end of November last year...and we've not lost in the league since.... Cheers Dad!! Who needs dodgy refs when Hearts have divine intervention!

My grandfather was the Hearts trainer in 1911-12. He knew some of the lads in my signature. He raised all 10 of his children to be Hearts supporters. Every uncle, aunt, and cousin of mine are/were Hearts supporters.

My dad started taking me to Hearts games as soon as he came home after the war. My dad was the most dedicated Hearts man I've ever met. The day before he died he was lying in bed in the Royal Infirmary listening to a Hearts match on the radio. By the time I was a teenager I never missed a game, and that only ended when I was called-up into the army.

My kids and grandchildren are all Canadian-born, but most have been to Tynecastle at least once, and the rest will be taken there one day.

Today, Hearts won and Hibs lost. That's as good as it gets!

jonnyheartsfc

My Papa always loved hearts and when i he died i watched my first hearts match and was hooked. Feel that that part of him has passed onto me

Moved to Edinburgh from Northern Ireland and the in-laws are from Peebles. Strange thing was that my mum dad and even wee sister had been to tynecastle before i had.

My uncle, Danny Paton, played for the famous between 1957 and 1964. Season 62/63 he scored a hat trick against Hibs at Easter Road in a 4-0 win. The Iron Man scored the other (We miss you John). Played alongside all the greats and my heart goes every time I think about it. I love this club.

That was my first ever Hearts match.

My old man took me along.

I was only 8 years old.

My mum wasn't happy, she thought a derby match was too big a game for an 8 year old to attend.

4-0 too (popular score to inflict on the Hibees over the years)

kawasakijambo

Was never really A sports fan. But in 1977 was listening to Locomotive Leipzieg on the radio with ma mate who was a staunch Hearts supporter. We were 4-1 down, I said if Hearts score again, I will support them for ever more. Damn you Donald Park. Still love them.

Bye the way I never seen the 2nd leg at Tynie, but seen us being HUMPED by Hamburg.

My late father was a bus driver. He drove the Whitburn/Blackburn supporters' bus for years. My uncle,(his brother), drove the Armadale/Bathgate bus.

I was born and brought up in Whitburn, which is, more or less, equidistant from Edinburgh and Glasgow, but if you asked my Dad why he chose, along with his brothers, to go to Tynecastle, he would say that it was because they thought that the football team you followed should be unrelated to your religion.

I was taken to my first match in 1954,( the League Cup Final), but long before that, due to my father's influence, Willie Bauld was my hero,even though I'd never seen him play.

I'm delighted to report that the family tradition has been maintained as my own two sons are fellow S.T. holders. We all sit together in the Gorgie Stand, with my older brother and his son a few seats away.

The old man. Taken to my first away game at the age of 4 sometime in the late 60s, Raith Rovers - think we won! Can't remember when my 1st home game was, but have memories of "Hey Jude" blaring out of the Station Bar on Gorgie Road as I was being taken to a game. So probably 1968 - 4 years old. Well done you old *******!

Genuine lump in the throat reading some of these.

So many of my own memories come flooding back when you read about what Hearts mean to others.

Great thread people.

When I was a bit too young to understand the in/outs of football, my brother had me kitted out in a Hibs strip :unsure2:. Most of my friend's were Hearts fans and (thankfully) got me more interested in Hearts.

The old man (Tic fan), noticed this and took me to Athletico Madrid game (2-1 Robbo & Colquhoun) in the Main Stand and I've never looked back!

Cheers Dad! :thumb:

When I was little my friends were Hearts fans and so I decided to support them because they did. I was about 8 at the time and didn't know that much about football.

My dad's a Hibs fan so I don't know what he made of it but in all fairness he took me and my little brother to hearts matches, especially the derbies. I remember one match when we went to Easter Rd and we were with my dad and uncle in the hibs end - we had to keep quiet when Hearts scored and it was hard as I think we beat them 2-1.

I remember quite a few games, i've not been to any matches with him for a while, i might ask him if he fancies going to a game.

Most of our elder family were Hibs fans and the family youngsters in my generation used to alternate between going to Easter Rd one week and Tynecastle the next week. (Loads of laddies did this in the sixties) There were about 5 of us in our family who did this just to get to see a game. Every one of us picked Hearts after after sampling both and apart from one uncle we are now an exclusively Hearts family.

JennytheJambo

My Hobo husband, he took me along to a derby hoping that I would support Hibs. I remember it being 0-0 back in the late 80's. He thought that I was winding him up when I started going along to Tynie.

my dads from gorebridge originally and his dad supported them too. all the other relations are hearts fans too.

my dad first took me in 1976, a 1-0 defeat to rangers :( next game we went to was a 2-1 win against motherwell :)

My dad. Never put any pressure on me to be a hearts fan. Just kept taking me until I got hooked. He's gone now, god love him and god love the jambos. I do.

Guest Vanbasten1874
my dad, best mate (2 years older), willie gibson and watching the police get a kicking every second saturday. :flag2:

My mam used to take me shopping up gorgie on a saturday afternoon when i was about five and walking past the famous Hearts emblem at the entrance and hearing the roar emanating from inside had me spell bound total magic it was .

My Dad`s side are totally steeped in maroon so there was never any doubt in who my Brothers and I would support.

My first game was 1979 in Division One v StJohnstone when i was 5 and i can still remember mucking around on the terracing not paying much attention to the game!

My Father was a Celtic supporter and went to see them until I came along and couldn't aford it, because he was football mad he started going to see local teams Raith, Dunfermline and East Fife. My first match was at Kirkcaldy in the mid fifties, Hearts won and my Mother was sent to the local Co-op drapery on the Monday morning for a Hearts scarf. After this I found the person who sold the scarf was also a Hearts supporter and I started going with him. In years to come My Father still wanted Celtic to do well but for my sake always wanted Hearts to beat them. In 1971 when he died a young man his last words to me were "I'm a bit like the Hearts son I'm not doin very well" as we were at that time, football to the end. I was the first Hearts supporter in the family and proud that my daughter has followed with season tickets both home and away even changing jobs to see the Hearts every week. I still go every week home and away. Thanks Dad for giving me some of the happiest times in my life

Archived