what got you into The Hearts?

neverlikedElvis

neverlikedElvis

my dad, best mate (2 years older), willie gibson and watching the police get a kicking every second saturday. :flag2:

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

My uncle. He had 2 daughters and was desperate to have someone to take to Tynecastle.

Remember my first game, 84 against Dundee at Tynecastle. Didn't want to go and wanted to leave after about 15 minutes. Hated it. You know when you see films like Fever Pitch and they climb the stairs and see the pitch and the fans and they are instantly hooked. Absolute pish!!! Took me a good 6 months to get into it.

Seen a lot of ups and downs but I thank god almighty I stuck with it. Cant imagine life without Hearts. Its pretty honking supporting us sometimes but I wouldn't have missed this ride for anything!!!!!

I was taken to games as a 5 year old. Totally hooked.

Loved my maroon & white bar scarf. Loved being with my cousin & other family at the time. The sweet smell of smoke in the old shed. Being a kid in an adults environment.

Supporting Heart of Midlothian is a family heritage for me.

Come win lose or draw, I always try to remember this.

My obsessional personality makes my loving everything about Hearts a danger to my long term sanity.

My grandfather on my mothers' side was a season ticket holder at Fester. My mother and him don't get on so she always told me I was a Hearts fan when I was a kid.

My dad was a fan too.

Luckily I get on with both my parents so I followed what they said.

Jambo for Life

My grandad for telling me to support any team i wanted, i couldnt choose so he got me a season ticket when I was 6!

Thanks Grandad :D

my mums side 'o the family are Celts, the dads side are Hobos!! Just me and my grandad to defend for ourselves:flag2:

My Dad taking me along to games right down the front of the main stand, right by the corner flag. Great memories from 20 odd years ago now!

My grandpa sat my big brother and me down and said earnestly "Now you will look after the Hearts for me, won't you boys?" That was the main driver.

Even before that, looking through my granny and grandpa's Evening News each week, looking at the Sport the Ball competition black and white photos and dreaming.

Jim Jefferies lifting me up at the Centenary Open Day so I could chat face to face with Alan Anderson.

Playing football aged 5 with my brother and some mates and when we kicked the ball into an older guy's garden by mistake, he brought it out and played footie with us for a bit. My dad was in awe - "You've just played football with The Golden Vision, a total Hearts hero'" he said.

My grandad for telling me to support any team i wanted, i couldnt choose so he got me a season ticket when I was 6!

my mums side 'o the family are Celts, the dads side are Hobos!! Just me and my grandad to defend for ourselves:flag2:

Fantastic mate.

My auld man never took any of us to football as kids (That was used for him and his mates to go and get pashed on a Saturday) One week Tynie. One week Compost Corner. Who ever was at home that week.

I was always a Hearts fan (because my oldest brother said I had to be or I was dead) and decided after watching the 1976 Cup Final on the telly that me and some other school mates would start going to see them.

First game as a 10yr old was a pre season friendly against Southampton (still got the programme in the attic) the following season and have been committed to the cause ever since.

My entire family are Hearts fans. My dad took me to my first game, and I was hooked from that day.

Before the war my Grandad and his two brothers all played football. All Hearts daft like their father. My grandad, Tom, was the best player of the three, but he went to pursue a career in engineering after a trial with Motherwell.

His two brothers, Jim and David Pithie. Played for the Hearts Youth teams, they played alongside Gordon Smith, who was snatched up by hibs on the same day as my great uncle David. David came home that day and told his father about his signing for hibs. My great-grandad was less pleased.

Jim made his first team debut at the age of 18. Unfortunately he contracted tuberculosis after only 5 starts.

I feel quite proud when I see a member of my family in the Hearts records. I don't see how I could have supported any other club. When you're at Tynecastle, with the crowd's thunderous roar when we score, it still puts a shiver down my spine. I must say, I'm proud to be a Jambo.

:flag2:

Mum is English (boo!) she has no influence on me.

Dad is born in the borders and brought up in Newcastle and went to Newcastle Uni, so naturally he's a Newcastle Utd fan. But having said that he moved up to Edinburgh straight after his Uni life and used to go to the odd Hearts match...more than the Hibees matches anyway :)

No influence on me though, I was born here, brought up here. Chose my team based on locality. I only grew up about 5 miles from Tynecastle, now got a flat about 10 mins away.

My entire family are Hearts fans. My dad took me to my first game, and I was hooked from that day.

Before the war my Grandad and his two brothers all played football. All Hearts daft like their father. My grandad, Tom, was the best player of the three, but he went to pursue a career in engineering after a trial with Motherwell.

His two brothers, Jim and David Pithie. Played for the Hearts Youth teams, they played alongside Gordon Smith, who was snatched up by hibs on the same day as my great uncle David. David came home that day and told his father about his signing for hibs. My great-grandad was less pleased.

Jim made his first team debut at the age of 18. Unfortunately he contracted tuberculosis after only 5 starts.

I feel quite proud when I see a member of my family in the Hearts records. I don't see how I could have supported any other club. When you're at Tynecastle, with the crowd's thunderous roar when we score, it still puts a shiver down my spine. I must say, I'm proud to be a Jambo.

Excellent! :biggrin::teeth:

Well, my oldest brother I suppose.. My other older brother was a Sheep at the time.....then 1986 occurred! I have only one memory and that is the Cup Final...yes as a mere 6yo I was fully kitted and outside on the road kicking a footie about after 5mins...Fortunately it was a cul-de-sac (Health & Safety etc!). Next bit I need to be wary, fan/supporter......:ninja:

Despite this I remained a Heart of Midlothian FC fanatic, my eldest brother did not and briefly followed glory to Glasgow before giving up on football. My other older brother morphed from a sheep to a Hobo....WTF?

I cannot imagine being a fanatic of any other team..the mere thought fills me with....no it's impossible. Try it.

My dad...time for an embarassing confession...I came from a mixed family. Dad one of us, mum a big Hobo.

As a kid, my first word wasn't mummy or daddy, it was (I'm ashamed to say) Hibbee.

Imagine my old mans horror back in mid 1980 when he came home from a 3 week stint on a tug on the North Sea to see me, his first born, crawling up the hall uttering my first word after 3 weeks of coaching from mum. Hibbee. Hibbee. Hibbee.

Before he'd even removed his boiler suit, I was taken into Thompsons Sports in Great Junction Street and kitted out in my first ever Hearts strip. Umbro, maroon, big collar, diamonds down arms. He barely spoke to mum for the next month.

It was a close shave, but I'll be eternally grateful to dad for saving me from a life of abject misery and dellusion.

Here is Jim's profile. He was a promising player too.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/pithiejames.html

alwaysthereinspirit

My Dad. Thanks Dad.

Gives me goose bumps just thinking about what the other choices would have been.:rubeyes:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
My old man.

Cheers Dad :thumb:

Ditto. I was Hearts daft from day one. Cannae believe how much I am still hooked. It's more than an addiction.

My uncle, Danny Paton, played for the famous between 1957 and 1964. Season 62/63 he scored a hat trick against Hibs at Easter Road in a 4-0 win. The Iron Man scored the other (We miss you John). Played alongside all the greats and my heart goes every time I think about it. I love this club.

My Dad. Thanks Dad.

Gives me goose bumps just thinking about what the other choices would have been.:rubeyes:

This.

Will never forget the game. 05 Jan 1985.

Heart of Midlothian 5, Dumbarton 1.

I was 7.

Father, if you are reading this.... thank you.

Growing up in the west of scotland, I'm now positive that I would be a Smeltic supporter if it was not for him.

I have never been so grateful for anything in my life.

The Old Tolbooth
My uncle. He had 2 daughters and was desperate to have someone to take to Tynecastle.

Remember my first game, 84 against Dundee at Tynecastle. Didn't want to go and wanted to leave after about 15 minutes. Hated it. You know when you see films like Fever Pitch and they climb the stairs and see the pitch and the fans and they are instantly hooked. Absolute pish!!! Took me a good 6 months to get into it.

Seen a lot of ups and downs but I thank god almighty I stuck with it. Cant imagine life without Hearts. Its pretty honking supporting us sometimes but I wouldn't have missed this ride for anything!!!!!

I just love this!

My grandfather on my mothers' side was a season ticket holder at Fester. My mother and him don't get on so she always told me I was a Hearts fan when I was a kid.

My dad was a fan too.

Luckily I get on with both my parents so I followed what they said.

I always say listen to your mother mate, she's your best friend!

This is really good, i'm loving the stories!

My grandpa sat my big brother and me down and said earnestly "Now you will look after the Hearts for me, won't you boys?" That was the main driver.

Even before that, looking through my granny and grandpa's Evening News each week, looking at the Sport the Ball competition black and white photos and dreaming.

Jim Jefferies lifting me up at the Centenary Open Day so I could chat face to face with Alan Anderson.

Playing football aged 5 with my brother and some mates and when we kicked the ball into an older guy's garden by mistake, he brought it out and played footie with us for a bit. My dad was in awe - "You've just played football with The Golden Vision, a total Hearts hero'" he said.

This is my favourite by miles, absolutely outstanding! :2thumbsup:

My Dad. Thanks Dad.

Simple but lovely, makes you proud! :)

My uncle, Danny Paton, played for the famous between 1957 and 1964. Season 62/63 he scored a hat trick against Hibs at Easter Road in a 4-0 win. The Iron Man scored the other (We miss you John). Played alongside all the greats and my heart goes every time I think about it. I love this club.

What a fantastic story, and although short it gets the point across, a close second of my favourites.

My own story is that as a lad, my dad was/is a Celtic fan and I always hated them, so to spite him I used to shout on Rangers (I was only a nipper at the time) and anytime the old firm played each other I used to shout on Rangers just to wind him up. At the time Rangers were gash and it was Celtic, Aberdeen, and Dundee Utd that were winning trophies, and Hearts were yo yoing between leagues sadly!

As I went to secondary school the bunch of lads that I made friends with (and still best mates with to this day) were all Hearts fans, and I decided to go to a Hearts match with them around 1984/85ish. Ever since then I was completely hooked on Hearts and I dropped my knuckle dragging hun tendencies to follow the best club in the world! The rest as they say is history.......... FTH

Hearts Golden era.

A lot of people say that Heart of Midlothian's best time was 2005/2006. I just can't understand how this is the case when we won so much more between 1956-60.

During this time we were one of the bests teams in Britain.

I'm the first in my family, who are all from the west and support Rangers (except my dad, who went to watch Celtic when he was growing up, just to wind up my granddad).

When I was a wee laddie Scott Crabbe came to my primary school to sign pics and that was me; annoyed my dad into taking me to Tynie and he did, first game a 2-1 win v Patrick Thistle in 1993.

Wouldn't give up following Hearts for the world, and Tynecastle is my favourite place on earth. I look forward to one day introducing kids and grandkids to HMFC.

And best of all my faither has chucked supporting the manky mob, and is now a fully fledged Jambo!

I have told this story on here before, but I apparently was brought home from the hospital wrapped in my dad's Hearts scarf. It has always just been a constant, there was no moment where it started, I was born a Hearts fan.

Incidently, my son was born a Hearts fan and brought home from hospital in his sadly deceased grandfather's Hearts scarf. An act which obviously meant a lot to me. I look forward to sharing the lows, not so lows and very occasional highs of being a Hearts fan with the wee man, and hope one day my grandson is brought home from hospital in my dad's Hearts scarf...

My mother and fathers families where all staunch hibbies, but just behind where we lived, the Danderhall Hearts supporters club used to meet and our neighbours where Jack Colvin who was chairman of the club(better mention Jesse as well)

So that was it, my 2 big brothers joined and he took me to tynie for a boring 0-0 draw with Kilmarnock (when the game started wanted to know what had happened to the commentery) but the next game we thumped the Hobos 3-1 at Easter Road and that was that,i also joined the Danderhall Hearts supporters club and started going home and away.

My dad brought up as a Celtic fan uptil i was 8.

When we won the cup in 98 my grandad took me out every sunday to the park or we would go to his house but this time he took me the the cup parade without my dad knowing the only way he found out because we where in the paper the following day.

Been hooked ever since.:biggrin:

Thank you grandad

scott herbertson

lifted over the turnstile by my granddad in 1964

What really impressed me was that I could pick up coke bottles (and beg for them) and get a penny back from the pie stall (changed days) - enhanced pocket money!

Miller Jambo 60

Like said before my grandad introduced me to Hibs at the tender age of about 6.

But all my pals at corrie primary were jambos and that was that.

Then came the 70s and 80s drinking in the harp and oak, all my mates jambos and being a member of Longstone, Centurian, Clerie Hearts supporters clubs and every sat was a great day out.

Yes i love the hearts expearience.

I was taken to games as a 5 year old. Totally hooked.

Loved my maroon & white bar scarf. Loved being with my cousin & other family at the time. The sweet smell of smoke in the old shed. Being a kid in an adults environment.

Supporting Heart of Midlothian is a family heritage for me.

Come win lose or draw, I always try to remember this.

My obsessional personality makes my loving everything about Hearts a danger to my long term sanity.

Ditto. I couldn't have worded my own post any better. Oh , the Brewery smell an aw!!!

My first girlfriend at school - Clare Wardhaugh (now a nun, but nowt to do with me!). As you do when your six, I decided I wanted to marry her and my dad (a hibby) took me to her house to seek her dad's "permission". Twinkletoes himself.

Who else could you support after that?

My auld man started taking me to home games from 5 years old and at 6 years old I started getting taken home and away every week on the Longstone Hearts bus.

I have many memories of away games and getting to the turnstiles and lifted over by my dad or one of his mates and told to just keep walking on at the other side incase any of the turnstile staff made any fuss :biggrin:

RICHARD THE LION HEART

Born in Baird Drive, Listened to the roar of the crowd in the 70`s.

Attended Balgreen Primary - Gary MacKay was in my sisters class

Graduated to Tynecastle High School in 1978 left 1983......only one team for me! 43 years ans still counting....

Family tradition of supporting Hearts, followed in line from my Dad, my Grandad, and Great Grandad. Family folklore has it that my Great grandad was involved in the fisticuffs at Powderhall after we beat Hibs in the Cup Final there.

My great uncle was a season ticket holder before WW1 and went off to war off to war with the"Dandy Ninth", and died in France in October 1918. I still have his season ticket book ( see the avatar) with all the tickets intact save for two.

So you'll see from this there was never any question as to where my loyalties would lie.

All my relations were hobos, my dad was not into fitba. I lived in Sighthill (prefabs) at the time and used to pester my uncles to take me to a game none of them would so i thought feck it, walked to Tynie myself went to the game and the rest is history. Used to go to tynie every week reserve game's included.

Thank feck none of them offered to take me to a game I could have been a (sick) hobo now.

It should be the sacred duty of every Hearts supporting parent to take their offspring to see the Famous, and when i eventually have Grandkids i will make damm sure this is done.

I have told this story on here before, but I apparently was brought home from the hospital wrapped in my dad's Hearts scarf. It has always just been a constant, there was no moment where it started, I was born a Hearts fan.

Incidently, my son was born a Hearts fan and brought home from hospital in his sadly deceased grandfather's Hearts scarf. An act which obviously meant a lot to me. I look forward to sharing the lows, not so lows and very occasional highs of being a Hearts fan with the wee man, and hope one day my grandson is brought home from hospital in my dad's Hearts scarf...

When my cousin's son was born he went straight from the hospital to Tynie and registered him as a Junior Jambo!!

My dad,who i still go the games with now.:biggrin:

Snap! He took me to my first game in 1974, I started going weekly in 1977 and have been going ever since.

It's in my blood, being a Walker. My dad's side of the family are all Hearts fans, and one is probably one of the most famous in Hearts history. My dad first took me in the late 60's. Used to lift me over the turnstiles at the Gorgie end. Bought me my first scarf and tammy in that shop that used to be in Gorgie Road. Unfortunately, dad passed away aged 47 in 1975. I had nobody to take me to the matches. My dad's brother came out to our house a few months after my dad died and asked my big brother if he wanted to go to see The Hearts tonight(it was a league cup tie against Dumbarton). My brother wasn't very interested. He was more inclined to support the Dons(my mother was from up there),but has since turned out to be a blue nose. There was only ever one team for me. Quick as I flash I said,

" I'd love to go uncle Andrew!".

"Right, get yer scarf and tammy on, Lynn".

We won 6-2...a certain player(gee, I wonder who!) pitched in with a couple of goals.

Once I was old enough, I plucked up the courage to go on the Bathgate supporters bus. The rest is history.

Supporting Hearts is part of life. It's been a rollercoaster ride for over 40 years. I wouldn't swap a minute of it. My dad saw Hearts lift many a trophy in the golden era. And I'm sure he was having a party with my uncle up there in '98 and '06!

Love The Hearts to bits!

Lynn:flag2::ninja:

My dad did everything in his power to get me to support the vermin. Thankfully my grandad got me supporting HMFC, used to use my uncles season book when he was working.

My old man took me to the games, but i don't think i ever said i will become a Hearts fan.

Just like breathing is a natural thing when you are born, being a Hearts fan was the same for me.

Captain Lithuania

My dad :).

My mum tried to buy me a Celtic top once when I was younger, and dad wasn't having any of it. But I wouldn't have it any other way. man'o'war may be along shortly to back me up haha.

FTH :flag2:

special agent oso

This story brought a tear to my eye , as I brought my son home from the hosiptal and exactly the same way.

My father took me to my first every game in 1974 the centenary game against Spurs , I lost interest until secondary school but have been ever present at tynie ever since , my only regret is not following hearts away from home more often .

My faither, (RIP) took me to a midweek game versus kilmarnock mid seventies,seem to remember we won 2-0 with the buzzbomb scoring both.

Archived